Fretting about ultrasound today... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Went in today for an ultrasound. 7 weeks, IVF, frozen embryo transfer. Baby measured smaller than expected at 6 weeks, 3 days and the heartbeat was not as strong as they would have liked to see they said.  The doctor was in and out in about 2 minutes during the ultrasound, and said "this could mean a miscarriage" with the bedside manner of a toad. Really dislike this doctor! Another ultrasound on July 8th to see what's going on. They didn't give me the heart rate. It all happened so fast and was so upsetting I didn't think to ask for it. After good numbers with three blood tests in the beginning, I wasn't really expecting less than great news today. 

On the plus side I can cut my estrogen dosage in half and start using the progesterone suppositories instead of the big shots in the arse. 

But, now I get to spend the next two and a half weeks WORRYING. Just great :( 

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

#2 of 25 Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM

Oh!  Good luck cwoodward, I'm sorry you had such a disappointing and stressful dr. visit.  You saw/heard a heart beat so that's great news!   Docs don't always think before they speak; your sounds totally thoughtless.  Can you find another provider and go in sometime next week to get a check? 

Anything you can think of to try and make the next couple of weeks a little less upsetting? 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#3 of 25 Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 PM

oh no :( I'm just so sorry, cwoodward. Like Parsley said it the heartbeat is good news! And that it could be anything. I feel you on how difficult it will be to wait until you have more information (and you know from my earlier post how much I mean it!!).  Pregnancy seems to involve more waiting around in uncertainty than I realized.

You'll be in my thoughts and please let us know if anything changes, and we're here if you need to vent or freak out or anything. <3

Happily married for 5 years. Tried for our first baby 6/2011, got preg right away, and miscarried. Took a 4 month break, and then had nothing but infertility & a few early miscarriages until 12/2012 when we learned I had a lumpy edge in my uterus. Doc removed it and now we are trying again....

#4 of 25 Old 06-20-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies :) You are right about it being good to see a heart beat at all. It could have been worse. The time will pass pretty quickly with my three year old running me ragged I think!

Cynthia

#5 of 25 Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM

I know you're worried but spend time loving that baby as much as you can. Read to your baby, sing to your baby. Flood it with all those loving hormones. Thinking of you <3

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#6 of 25 Old 06-20-2011, 04:44 PM

I went in today thinking I was 7w0d (LMP) and baby measured at 5w6d or 6w0d. I expected it to be 2 days off as I O late but it's even more. I was happy to see a heartbeat and know those machines are off by +-4 days in the early weeks and even more later on. I'm sure everything is fine. Don't stress!!

cloth diaperin' mama to one little boy!
#7 of 25 Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM

I would call right away and ask to be told what the heart rate is. Its your body, and you are entiltled to that information. They record it, so its not like you are asking them to guess. If they dont want to give you the information, I would let them know that you are planning to schedule another US with a different doctor because you are worried to death after this doc told you that you could be having a miscarriage. July EIGHTH???? Ummm, no. You need confirmation that things are okay before then. They need to make you another appointment for this week to have another listen at your baby's heartbeat. If they wont, I would not hesitate to see another OB.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#8 of 25 Old 06-20-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I would call right away and ask to be told what the heart rate is. Its your body, and you are entiltled to that information. They record it, so its not like you are asking them to guess. If they dont want to give you the information, I would let them know that you are planning to schedule another US with a different doctor because you are worried to death after this doc told you that you could be having a miscarriage. July EIGHTH???? Ummm, no. You need confirmation that things are okay before then. They need to make you another appointment for this week to have another listen at your baby's heartbeat. If they wont, I would not hesitate to see another OB.
I completely agree with Adalines Mama. That is just crappy to say you could be miscarrying and not give you any more info or reassurance. I hope you get some answers soon- nothing you said in your post sounded alarming, in my opinion. .

Mama to Iris (01/10) and Gus (08/13)
angel.gifangel.gifangel.gifangel.gifangel.gif
#9 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 04:30 AM

Wow, that's ridiculous.  I'd be inclined to change to a different doctor and be glad that I found out that this one is an insensitive pr*ck early on rather than in the middle of my delivery.  Good luck and I hope you get another look soon.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#10 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

I think you are right; I'm going to call today and ask for the heart rate. Although I'm not really sure I want to know what it is...

The problem with seeing another doctor is well, i can't really until i am "released" from the fertility clinic. This isn't who I will be seeing long term, but they do your first checks to verify a viable pregnancy before they tell you that you can go see whatever OB/midwife you want. I think I would have been released after yesterday's ultrasound if all had gone well, but now it won't be until after the next ultrasound at the earliest. I don't think my insurance would cover seeing two doctors at the same time, but maybe it's worth looking into. What I am going to do is change to a different doctor at the fertility clinic if I miscarry and have to go through this again!

Cynthia

#11 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

I called and asked - they weren't actually able to measure the heart rate it was so weak. They have it down as a "flicker" that was seen. :(

Cynthia

#12 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 AM

hug2.gif

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#13 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 AM

Ugh - doctors with the bedside manner of a toad are the WORST.   Don't they realize you are hugely invested in all this?   I'm sorry they weren't giving you better medical service!  

I am keeping positive thoughts for you and your pregnancy!

#14 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 AM

Im sorry hug.gif

Have you thought about getting a second opinion from another office? Did you ask them to make you another appointment?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#15 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 09:42 AM

It's totally normal to only see the HB at first and not measure it. We only saw mine and couldn't measure it yet either. That is what happens when you catch it with a few days of just starting to beat.

#16 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

When did you get your ultrasound done? With my son we saw a strong heartbeat at 5.5 weeks. This baby measured at 6 weeks 3 days and I thought I was at 7 weeks. So I guess I'm having trouble with the comparison. I'm having a majorly mopey day and am thoroughly disgusted with myself but having trouble shaking it! 

Cynthia

#17 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 11:19 AM

Yesterday I was 7w0d (lmp) and if you go by O date I was 6w5d and baby measured at 5w6d based on crown to rump length. I saw a Hb though and US machines are really only accurate to about 4 days so I'm trying not to worry. As the doc did the measurement he didn't even zoom in (like last tech did) and he was very quick. Even just measuring baby as slightly bigger would have moved us forward so it could be off for no good reason. Plus, everything can develop slightly different. Hang in there. I'm in the same boat.

#18 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

When do you go in again Nolliesmama? I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you too :)

Cynthia

#19 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM

I have an ultrasound tomorrow morning. I'll be 6 weeks 6 days by LMP but I doubt I ovulated on cd14. I need to prep my DH that baby may measure 'behind'. My midwife offered to call in an early ultrasound and gods bless her! I think it'll calm my nerves (I had a miscarriage in December 2010).
Thinking good thoughts for everyone.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#20 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck Kaydove! Hope everything goes well tomorrow :)

Cynthia

#21 of 25 Old 06-21-2011, 05:58 PM

DDCC to send good thoughts for your u/s tomorrow Kaydove!  been thinking tons about you and your growing family

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#22 of 25 Old 06-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Thanks Adorkable! I've been thinking about you lots as well, hope you're doing okay.

Ultrasound went well! Heart-rate was 115! Measuring 6 weeks 2 days which changes my due date to 2/13!! Hoping for a Valentines baby. wink1.gif
I was bracing for measuring a full week behind as in 5 weeks 6 days, since I didn't know when I ovulated and I tend to ovulate late, so measuring just 4 days behind means I ovulated on cd 18! Wohoo! That's early for me!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#23 of 25 Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 PM

fantastic news darling!!!!!!!!

ain't that little heartbeat just grand! heartbeat.gif

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#24 of 25 Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 AM

Hang in there, I cannot imagine what you must be going through but like everyone above mentioned having a sign of a heartbeat is definitely a positive! I think doctors always have to mention the worst to protect themselves when really situation isn't bad at all.

hearts.gifI am sending you good thoughts and positive energy!

#25 of 25 Old 06-23-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Cynthia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page