First Apt over a month away!? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I just found out I was pregnant Fri June 16th. I'd been having symptoms since May 25th ish, and had a weird "period" May 20-24. I discarded the symptoms and odd period as my body getting used to not being on birth control pills, since I read that is its heavy enough for more than one pad or tampon it's not spotting. It never occured to me that I might be pregnant, since I'd had a "period".

Well now I know I am. I called the base clinic for a blood test. Due to a freak hail storm Thursday night, they were closed Friday and so all Fridays apts got moved to today. So They told me they would put my name in at the Lab, just go to the Lab and they would draw blood and call me back. I assumed when they called me back they would also talk to me or ask me to come back in for a little bit. But all she did was give me the number to the off base women's clinic. So I call them and tell them that I got a referral from the base clinic, and she asked when the first day of my last period was, I talk her I had an odd period that started May 20th. She didn't ask any questions and just said that meant I was just barely pregnant. The first apt they do is for the ultrasound timing to see how far along I really am and they don't do those till 8 weeks. So my apt isn't till July 28th. Then said have a good day and hung up.

I've had symptoms for a month, and disrgarding my last "period", I could be 8 weeks pregnant now. So then I'd be 12 weeks by July 28th... 

I hate where I live, the closest Midwife is 3 hours away, and this whole town, even off base is so small that it's all so militarized since that's all they really deal with.

I'm just really disappointed I don't get to talk to anyone or find anything out for over a month. I don't know what to do. This is my first pregnancy.

Expecting #1 in Feb 2012.3rdtri.gif winner.jpgcd.gif  delayedvax.gif homeschool.gif  ribbonrwb.gif  

#2 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Wow that's pretty surprising that they wouldn't bring you in for a chat even if you are just barely pregnant! Is it worth calling back and "starting over"? This time tell them the date of your last period before the odd one you had? 

The good news is that these forums are a great place for getting help. It looks like we have a lot of experienced mamas here. Ask your questions :) I bet you'll get a lot of good advice! 

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

#3 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 03:11 PM

I'd call back and ask to talk to a nurse and say you think you might be much further along.  The receptionists tend to be trained really well to keep people at bay.  That is what I did and I got in right away. 

#4 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 03:42 PM

About 20 days after I went off the pill I had 5 days of really heavy spotting a few days before I ovulated. When I ovulated it was pretty painful and I had a lot of symptoms. Maybe that's what happened with you too. If that's the case it probably wouldn't change your due date too much, but you might just want to tell them you really aren't sure if it was a period or not.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#5 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 PM

Hey,
Some docs dont see patients until well into the third trimester. My OB didnt schedule my appt until 11 weeks, on July 13th. Its my second baby, and we dont need to do a meet and greet, but she hardly ever sees patients before 10 weeks unless they are concerned that there is a problem. I wouldnt worry too much about it, but I would call to make sure that they know how far along you actually are. "Barely pregnant" is such an annoying phrase to hear. Either you are pregnant or you arent. There is no "barely" or "a little bit" pregnant.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Hey,
Some docs dont see patients until well into the third trimester. My OB didnt schedule my appt until 11 weeks, on July 13th. Its my second baby, and we dont need to do a meet and greet, but she hardly ever sees patients before 10 weeks unless they are concerned that there is a problem. I wouldnt worry too much about it, but I would call to make sure that they know how far along you actually are. "Barely pregnant" is such an annoying phrase to hear. Either you are pregnant or you arent. There is no "barely" or "a little bit" pregnant.

Well I am pregnant, I got the blood test from the on base clinic, it was the girl I called at the off base women's clinic that said "barely pregnant" I just have no idea how far along I am, and I won't know till July 28th unless I can get in earlier. I don't think she understood that my last period was different, so according to her I'm 3 weeks, and 2 of those weeks are supposedly period week and ovulation, so only really one week pregnant? Isn't that how docs do now? They look at your last period, and the first day of your last period is the "start" of your pregnancy?

Expecting #1 in Feb 2012.3rdtri.gif winner.jpgcd.gif  delayedvax.gif homeschool.gif  ribbonrwb.gif  

#7 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 05:23 PM

You poor thing! I am so sorry! I had my pee test on post, then I had to call a recording to learn that I had to go to a stupid ob "orientation" where a nice nurse told us to eat fiber if we were constipated, and be sure to let someone know if we were addicted to drugs. THEN were allowed to make an appointment. I'm around seven weeks, (I think) and I have my firs appointment on Wednesday. I'd really prefer an ultrasound to confirm that things are normal, but I don't think we get them for a while. The joys of socialized medicine!
#8 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayN View Post

Well I am pregnant, I got the blood test from the on base clinic, it was the girl I called at the off base women's clinic that said "barely pregnant" I just have no idea how far along I am, and I won't know till July 28th unless I can get in earlier. I don't think she understood that my last period was different, so according to her I'm 3 weeks, and 2 of those weeks are supposedly period week and ovulation, so only really one week pregnant? Isn't that how docs do now? They look at your last period, and the first day of your last period is the "start" of your pregnancy?

First of all, I hope you werent thinking that I was questioning whether or not you were pg smile.gif The nurse at the clinic where I went to get a confirmation test said to me that I was only a "little bit pregnant." I share in your frustration.

Typically OB's go by the first day of your LMP. So, if you had a "period" (according to them) on 5/20, then you would be exactly 4 weeks as of today (since today is the 20th). A lot of midwives and ladies go by their ovulation date. For example, the first day of my LMP was 4/24, I ovulated on 5/8, and I tested positive 8 days later. According to my OB I have been pregnant since 4/24, making me 8 weeks pregnant and making my due date 1/25/12. According to me, I have been pregnant since 5/8 making me 6 weeks and putting my due date at 2/1/12. The only reason it really matters to me is that OB's often give you a date that is a week or two earlier than it really should be, making it easier for them to want to pressure you to be induced. So, you could either be 8 weeks pregnant or 4 weeks pregnant. (or, on a "lunar" schedule 6 weeks pregnant or 2 weeks pregnant). Its confusing.

However, a lot of OB's disregard any due dates that were previously mentioned once they do an ultrasound and measure the babe from crown to rump. They think the measurment is more accurate. (My baby would have been 6 weeks premature if we went by her measurments, so I think thats a load of crap.)

I would call the clinic and say that you want to meet the doctor. It is totally normal for a pregnant woman to want a "meet and greet" with the doctor before she does for the first appointment . I would just call and say that you have some questions and you are interested in meeting the doctor, so could the please schedule you for a meet and greet. I suppose that since you are on base, that is the only doctor you can use? Just asking, because normally a clinic will schedule a meet and greet no problem because they dont want to lose your business, but Im not sure if it works that way on base.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#9 of 12 Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Not an on base doc, this base does absolutely nothing for pregnancy. So I have to go off base. I shouldn't have a problem getting a midwife, If I can find one that will come here when I go into labor. My friend said the drive while in labor wasn't that bad, but hubby refuses, and also is really really hesitant about a home birth, so the midwife has to agree to come here and the hospital has to let her use a room. I'm really disappointed in that, but keeping my fingers crossed it'll work out.

But not its the local Women's Clinic off base. I'm going to call today and talk to a nurse and tell her about my situation and ask if I could get an apt just to talk, they don't have to do a ultra sound, and then maybe the doc will at least be able to help me decide if it was a real period or not.

#10 of 12 Old 06-21-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so I called the Women's Clinic today and told them I had a first ultra sound for july 28th, and that I hadn't even spoken to a doctor yet and would just like a consult apt sooner. She asked where I got my blood test and I told her base medical but I didn't see anyone just went to the lab ad had blood drawn. I don't think she ever really realized I haven't talked to anyone yet. I told her the Women's clinic had said I was 3 weeks, and that I had had symptoms longer than that so I wanted to talk about my last period which was odd, and find out if it was really a period. She asked when it started and I said May 20th was the weird one, and she said by that, if it was a period I would be 5 weeks, so she's not sure where they got 3 weeks. So she asked if I was ok just moving my first ultra sound apt up to the second week of July and I told her that was awesome, I was much happier with that.

So it's been mostly sorted out, I go in for my first apt and ultra sound on July 11th, and I'll let the doc know my period was weird so not to be shocked if I was further along.

#11 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 AM

I found out I was pregnant in the first week of June. We're military family as well and are currently stationed in the middle of nowhere --the nearest military base is two hours away! I contacted nearest midwife practice, thank God they are only an hour away, so let's pray I'll make it:) My first appointment isn't until July 15th!! though which by then makes me 12 weeks pregnant according to my calculations (my conception date was def. May 18th). Its way too late comparing to my two previous pregnancies( typical US OB) but I figured they know what they are doing....I wish I can get in sooner though. Good for you for getting in faster and getting your needs met, I know it could be very tough.

#12 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 PM

Just thought I would add:  I am not seeing a medical person till the middle of August.  I found out I was pregnant two days before I left to care for my mom after her surgery.  I set up an appt with a midwife, who is taking vacation two days before I get home!  I won't get to see her till Sept., but she has support people I can see before then. :).  Last time I was on top of everything and saw a doctor when I was like 7 weeks.  That pregnancy I become dependent on the medical community, instead of trusting my body.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page