Unsure of EDD, how important is it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm really not sure of my EDD but am wondering how much it really matters. Most of my cycles have been 24 days but over the last year there have been some wonky ones, one even going to 32 days. I wasn't charting really, I just noted when the first day of each cycle was. So based on my LMP of May 6th, my due date could be anywhere from Feb 6th to 10th (if a 28d cycle is assumed). Unfortunately I don't keep track of when we DTD, so that's not a help. (DH thought the conception date was May 13th. Somehow, I don't think that's realistic given my LMP! orngtongue.gif)

Now I know with DS because I wasn't sure of my dates I had an early ultrasound at which they declared I was "10w5d" (I was seriously like, what? no hours and minutes?! lol). But 1) that was with an OB (I'm going with a midwife this time) and 2) I'm hoping to avoid any unnecessary u/s, and even maybe the "routine" u/s this time if at all possible. Are there any other ways of figuring out an EDD?

I guess I'm just worried that it's going to be a battle with the birthing professionals not knowing an "specific" due date. I mean, the only time I see it becoming an issue is if I go waaay post-dates (or super early, I guess). But either way, I feel baby will be born when they choose to be born and it's really only a best-guess in any case. How sure is everyone else of their dates? Does it matter to you if your EDD is "off" one way or the other?

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing but my first appointment with the m/w is July 19th, so I doubt I'd get in for an u/s until wk 13 or 14 at the earliest And since u/s become less and less reliable for dating after the 12th week, if it's going to be an issue I need to push for an earlier appointment.

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 01:08 PM

It doesn't matter, and your MW should probably say the same. Actually, it might be good b/c, like mine said last time, it's a good way for them to get around making you go to the hospital if you're "too far along". (both states we've been in, MWs can't legally birth a mom at home before 37 or after 42? weeks). Does that make sense?

As for the US, it's more accurate around 18 wks, not earlier. If you had one, say, in a couple weeks, and then again at 18/19wks they would go by that one. It's hard to tell this early. US are HIGHLY innacurate in determining edd anyway...I definitely wouldn't get one just for that, especially if you'd like to avoid them. Like most midwives will say, due dates create more stress on many women anyway, I know I was counting the days for my first (we went 3 days before the edd--which had changed 3 times).

If it makes you feel any better, I have no idea when my cycle was last - completely forgot! Luckily, I remember the day I felt cramps and that must have been implantation, so I have a week or two window. I consider myself "due" mid February, but for those ppl that nag me about dates, Feb 15. I'm not putting much into it, though. 

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it;) OH, and IMHO, if your MW is worried about it she's not a good/educated MW!!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 PM

yeah, my cycles over the past yr have been 27-35 days... so im just going with the typical 28 day cycle. which puts me on feb 17th, but i will expect to go at the end of feb.

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

Old 06-23-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post

Actually, it might be good b/c, like mine said last time, it's a good way for them to get around making you go to the hospital if you're "too far along".  

Excellent point! If the EDD is kind of unknown, it can be fudged either way! thumb.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post

As for the US, it's more accurate around 18 wks, not earlier. If you had one, say, in a couple weeks, and then again at 18/19wks they would go by that one. It's hard to tell this early. US are HIGHLY innacurate in determining edd anyway...I definitely wouldn't get one just for that, especially if you'd like to avoid them.

I was told otherwise last time, that the way they date with earlier u/s is because certain parts develop at specific times within the first 12 weeks. But that after 12 weeks it's all a crap shoot and very unreliable for dating. I could be wrong but don't want an u/s in any case...

So far I've been telling anyone who asks we're due mid-Feb. It's only for forms that I don't know what to put. irked.gif 

Maybe I'll just start putting mid-Feb on the forms too! mischievous.gif

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

Old 06-24-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curiouscanadian View Post
I was told otherwise last time, that the way they date with earlier u/s is because certain parts develop at specific times within the first 12 weeks. But that after 12 weeks it's all a crap shoot and very unreliable for dating. I could be wrong but don't want an u/s in any case...

This is what I've been told and what I have done. I just had an 6 week ultrasound for dating purposes, last pregnancy it was at 8 weeks for dating.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 06-27-2011, 03:58 PM

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. I chart, so I know when I ovulated & know that my cycles were 36 days long... which put me at an EDD of Feb 1st. A student MW in my MW's practice calculated me at Feb 3rd and she asked me "so which date do you like better?" Midwives, for the most part, don't really care. It's all an estimation that can do two weeks before to two weeks after, generally. With my first pregnancy I had an OB and didn't know my LMP (was young and was a surprise pregnancy, didn't keep track!) and they "dated" me at my 8 week ultra sound. I ended up having him "early" and he was close to 9 lbs, so their calculations were totally off. My second was born at 42 weeks at 7lbs 14 oz. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

User Tag List