Spotting and... DTD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2011, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last night DH and I DTD and it was... enthusiastic Sheepish.gif.   An hour or so later I got up to pee and there was blood!  I saw a some in the toilet and some on the toilet paper.  Not a ton but not a little either.  There was a pink streak when I wiped in the middle of the night (when awoken from miscarriage nightmares) and nothing this morning. 

I'll call my midwife practice tomorrow and see if I can have an early ultrasound or beta levels tested to reassure me.  In the meantime, I'm hoping you all have some anecdotes and reassurance...  I recall that on a previous thread a few people mentioned sex as a reason for spotting.   Please tell me more! 

For what it's worth, I don't *think* I miscarried or am miscarrying.  I feel pregnant and have noticed increasing symptoms.  I'm usually a nervous-nelly so this confidence is not typical for me.  Also, I did have implantation spotting and some slight brown staining last week so maybe there's a hematoma?  

So, can you help me keep my cool?   

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 08:50 AM

stay cool, parsley :)   Sex cannot hurt your baby, and sex is a common cause for spotting!!!  :)

Old 06-26-2011, 10:18 AM

Sex can indeed cause spotting.  I was sure I was miscarrying last time.  The nurse on the phone said if there aren't cramps, don't worry about it.  Easier said than done. :hug:

Old 06-26-2011, 12:21 PM

I have spotted after some "enthusiastic" sex, and everything is still fine

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

Old 06-26-2011, 02:28 PM

love the expression "enthusiastic sex" btw :)

Old 06-26-2011, 03:34 PM

DDCC But I bled for no apparent reason from 7dpo til 8 weeks pregnant. After that I still spotted occasionally after sex for several weeks. I think I might have had irritated the cervix.

If it's just from sex it should get lighter and be gone within a couple days. If it picks up it might be a bad sign. :(

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Old 06-27-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance!  I spoke with the nurse at my midwives office and she was also very reassuring.  Said I could come if for betas if I wanted to but that spotting after sex is common and nothing to worry about as the bleeding stopped immediately and there wasn't any cramping.   At this point, I'm feeling relaxed and not worried so I think I'm going to wait it out until my first midwife appt at 10 weeks. 

Thanks again. 

Old 06-27-2011, 02:24 PM

i was 'warned' about that very thing (along with straining to p00p and coughing and sneezing lol) as potentially making cervical capillaries bleed -- just today at my dr appointment.  totally normal.  though he did not use the term 'enthusiastic' ;)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ha.  I didn't mention that it was "enthusiastic" to the nurse I talked with either.  Once I started to see how common spotting after sex is the details seemed, perhaps, excessive :)

Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 AM

I had spotting yesterday after DTD and was terrified!  It stopped abruptly, too.  I have had multiple m/c's so immediately thought the worst, and took it easy for the rest of the day.  Felt some pulling (not really cramping) later in the day but I almost think that was more due to the fact that I sat around all day rather than anything else...so today I will try to keep my mind off of worrying.

Shelly

p.s. and this blood was from a "gentle quickie"..not even enthusiastic

Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 PM

The first time I spotted after DTD, I didn't know I was pregnant yet... thought it was my period starting, but it didn't continue! I was confused. Next time was right after the + test... since this was a pregnancy we were trying to avoid, you would think it wouldn't get us in the mood... wink1.gif ANYHOW... the next time we DTD I told him to go slow and gentle, since the previous 2 times were 'enthusiastic' as you said... and... no bleeding. You aren't alone!

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Gossamerwindweb- that is pretty crazy!  Your story is definitely reassuring though I'm sure that experience must have made you a little crazy :)

Shelley - hope you are doing ok.  And, that it was just DTD-spotting. 

AFM, no more spotting but I don't think I'm going to be in the mood for sex for a while still!  This whole thing has planted just a seed of fear in my heart that the pregnancy won't be viable.  And, while DTD would be a way to test the hypothesis that it was DTD that caused the blood, I'm still not eager to see any more blood for the next many months!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsley View Post

Gossamerwindweb- that is pretty crazy!  Your story is definitely reassuring though I'm sure that experience must have made you a little crazy :)

Shelley - hope you are doing ok.  And, that it was just DTD-spotting. 

AFM, no more spotting but I don't think I'm going to be in the mood for sex for a while still!  This whole thing has planted just a seed of fear in my heart that the pregnancy won't be viable.  And, while DTD would be a way to test the hypothesis that it was DTD that caused the blood, I'm still not eager to see any more blood for the next many months!

i hear you on that!  the weird thing for me is i just don't wanna either.  and i remember my pregnancy with dd, the first 2 trimesters, i was just the opposite.. quite.. eager.  now i just want to go to sleep.  blah.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

User Tag List