The Nursing Mamas Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 79 Old 06-26-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thought it would be nice to have a thread where us pregnant while nursing mamas can come and share.  How are things going?  Need to vent?  Need support?  Have questions?

This is my first time nursing during a pregnancy.  DS #1 had just weaned at 3yrs when I got preggers with DS#2.

Ds #2 will be 2yrs in 1 month.  I am SLOWLY starting to wean.  I really don't want to tandem......if he was a bit younger I would consider it.  I have cut out the after nap session.  So he still nurses in the morning, before nap and at bedtime.....and 3-4 times at night.......

I still hear him swallowing and feel a letdown.....so I'm curious to see what happens with my supply. 

How's it going for everyone else?

One sleepy mama to ds #1 (5) and ds #2...my VBAC baby (2) and expecting #3 sometime in 2/2012!!

#2 of 79 Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 AM

My supply had dropped right off, but now it's picking up again. 

I tandem nursed DS1 & DS2 , but they're only 19 mths apart.  I'll probably tandem DS2 & DC3, since they'll be 20 mths apart.  I'm pretty lucky - DS2 nurses at 5am, when he wakes up, and right before his naps - he's already stopped t/o the night and before bed.  Last pregnancy, DS1 was nursing all. the. time. and, while I was trying to honor that, he was also driving me nuts.  It's definitely been easier this time round.

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

#3 of 79 Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 PM

My boobs hurt smile.gif I dont want to nurse most of the time anymore and its sad. greensad.gif
I'm going to keep going until October, milk supply pending, but I cant say that I'm thrilled about it.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 79 Old 06-27-2011, 04:13 AM

For some reason I seem to be a lot less sore than I was a couple of weeks ago, thank goodness.  Maybe it will get easier for you too, Adaline'sMama.  hug2.gif 

All last week DD was waking up every couple of hours to nurse throughout the night (which she never did even as a newborn!).  I was a complete wreck and starting to feel pretty down.  Hit a breaking point over the weekend and started to talk about how the "milks" need to sleep at night, then last night took the plunge and when she woke at 11 denied her the boob (for perhaps the first time in her little 16 month old life? eyesroll.gif ).  She complained for about an hour and a half while I sang to her and talked more about how everybody sleeps at night, including mommy's poor tired milks.  To my astonishment, once she finally went to sleep she basically just slept through the night and didn't ask for milk again!  I made a big deal this morning out of how the sun was up, the milks were feeling awake and refreshed and we could have a nice long nurse.

I thought for sure we'd be battling all night, every night, all week long.  This has put a great big smile on my face this morning and gives me hope for our nursing relationship during this pregnancy.  love.gif

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#5 of 79 Old 06-27-2011, 05:06 AM

My son is 19 months and is down  to nursing just in the morning and night.  I followed his lead in the past but when I found out I was pregnant was debating what to do as far as weaning.   This morning hurt so much!  I couldn't wait for it to be over which is such a sad feeling - one I've never had before.  If it is going to be like this going forward I know I am going to wean.  

#6 of 79 Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 AM

DS seems to be nursing more, so maybe my supply is dwindling, I don't know. He's always been a very heavy nurser. I had gotten him down to around 3 or 4 times/night, and now it's been like 10 or 20 times, no joke! One nipple has been sore for days:(

I really, really want to night wean but don't even know where to start. Whenever DH steps in to help DS screams and cries. 

I agree it is a sad feeling when you just don't want to anymore. Here he is again, helping himself...

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#7 of 79 Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 AM

I feel like I still have milk...I feel myself filling up and I can see a little bit when DS latches off. But I'm feeling pretty sensitive and sore. DS is slowly working on his 2 year molars and is looking to nurse constantly some nights. I hope he will continue to nurse for a good long time, but I need to nightwean. I'm not getting nearly enough sleep at night.

#8 of 79 Old 06-27-2011, 09:17 AM

DS is 26 months, and all previous attempts at the smallest amount of weaning had been filled with tears and frustration for both of us. However, as soon as I conceived, he has been nursing less and less. Then, after my HPT, I decided to wean him from nursing while awake as he nurses more than enough during naps and night. This was something I had never wanted to do, but every time he latches I feel like I'm being bitten for the first 15-30 seconds. Quite unpleasant. 

Strangely, he protested only once the first day about not being able to nurse when it wasn't bedtime or naptime. He was nursing 2-4 times during a nap and another 6 times or more at night. However, in the past week, he's only nursing 2 times at naptime, started technically sleeping through the night for the first time (5+ hours without nursing), and is only nursing 3-5 times at night. I really want him to continue nursing throughout my pregnancy and hope to tandem (as I'd like that comfort to be available still). 

I considering allowing him to nurse during awake hours again as I'm worried about my supply, but he hasn't been asking. So weird (and a little sad) to have gone from an extremely frequent nursing toddler (often 18 or more times) to 6-8 times in two weeks. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#9 of 79 Old 06-27-2011, 01:21 PM

my boobs hurt too, and it's not that fun.  dd only nurses to sleep and in the morning and once when i get home from work, though.  i don't know what i would do if she was still wanting more than that.  we'll keep trying.  i keep asking her if there's milk and she says there is, but it doesn't look to me like she's getting much.  she's actually drinking cow's milk now, which is a huge shock for me.. we've been through crazy dairy reactions even through breastfeeding.  i guess she's developed whatever she needed to digest it now, though.  crazy but good timing. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#10 of 79 Old 06-27-2011, 01:31 PM

DD has been on a strict mama's milk diet this weekend because she was sick. I don't think my supply has gone down... yet. She's still an avid suckling and since I'm not experiencing any pain related to the pregnancy(I get eczema when she teeths though, but that started before the pregnancy), I don't plan to wean her at all. She's so little still, I feel like she really needs it! I feel very lucky that my boobs don't hurt this time, because when I was pregnant with DD, it was horrible for the first trimester!

hippie.gifintactlact.giffemalesling.GIF mama to my little baby fairydust.gif(07/27/10) and expecting stork-suprise.gif in february 2012

#11 of 79 Old 06-27-2011, 06:25 PM

I'm still exclusively nursing DS, 5 months, because this was a "surprise!" pregnancy. I'm nervous, though, because we lost a baby at 12 weeks back at the end of '09 and I had gotten pregnant with that baby when my middle child was 6 months old. I think my body was just not ready yet, and I'm terrified of miscarrying again. I've read that there's no problem nursing while pregnant *unless* there's a history of miscarriage or preterm labor. The trouble is that DS *will not* take a bottle. irked.gif I don't want to give him formula, but I also don't want to do anything that would possibly contribute to the loss of this baby. greensad.gif

SAHMtranstichel.gif to DD1joy.gif(9/06), DD2energy.gif(4/09), DS1 kid.gif (1/11), and DS2 wild.gif (2/12)
knit.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gif Surprise! pos.gif #5 due 12/16/13 2ndtri.gif

#12 of 79 Old 06-28-2011, 03:54 PM

:hug  You can talk to a doc about progesterone cream (I think). my friend also nursed #1 while pregnant with #2.  progesterone is supposed to help with something.  Correct me if my info is outdated.

#13 of 79 Old 06-28-2011, 04:37 PM

DD is 19m and nurses before bed and in the am, neither of us is ready to wean, i feel like crying at the thought. but i dont know if it is safe as the pregnancy progresses. I would love to tandem.
#14 of 79 Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM

I am still nursing my son, who is almost 23 months old. I don't know how I feel exactly, but he has always been a nursing addict. He nurses many times a day (and eats a TON of solid food)... I am not against tandem nursing, and kind of hope he keeps going to help my milk come in faster postpartum, because I had a problem with that when he was a newborn.

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#15 of 79 Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM

My DS, 18m, seems to have kicked into super-high nursing gear the past couple of weeks! I think it has more to do with teething than any type of dip in supply, but who knows for sure? Sometimes I'm fine with it, and sometimes it's just too much! He's also gotten into what I call "violent nursing". ;\ Really aggressively grabbing my shirt, smacking and pinching, yanking his head away while still latched on. I'm trying to be firm and boundaried with that. Also, I would love to encourage him not to nurse at night, but don't want to initiate night-weaning... is that even possible? Right now, he goes to sleep in his own bed around 730-830, and will stay there until between 2-4am, then come to our bed, where he pretty much comfort nurses until we get up at 630/7. Any tips? Like I said, I am really wanting not to limit his nursing as that may happen due to supply issues soon enough; but I also need more sleep...
#16 of 79 Old 06-29-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post

DS seems to be nursing more, so maybe my supply is dwindling, I don't know. He's always been a very heavy nurser. I had gotten him down to around 3 or 4 times/night, and now it's been like 10 or 20 times, no joke! One nipple has been sore for days:(

I really, really want to night wean but don't even know where to start. Whenever DH steps in to help DS screams and cries. 

DD won't accept any nighttime comfort from DH either.  I am kind of hoping that may be the next step after nightweaning.  I'm sure you've seen the Jay gordon nightweaning plan (here's the link), which we were going to follow but I ended up nightweaning DD cold turkey because she seemed to understand about the milks being asleep.  Depending on how verbal your LO is, I totally recommend trying to explain the difference between night and day.  We got a lovely book, too, called Nursies When the Sun Shines (here) which has really lovely illustrations.  

Last night was night 3 of nightweaning for us, and there were no tears.  She only signed for milk once, and when I reminded her that it was sleep time, she snuggled into me and went right back to sleep.  She has definitely been more snuggly/"clingy" at night but I am more than happy to oblige her with a cuddle!

Good luck and I hope you find something that works.  I feel like even just a couple nights' sleep has made me feel soooooo much better!  I wish the same for you.  smile.gif

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#17 of 79 Old 06-29-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krjt View Post

Also, I would love to encourage him not to nurse at night, but don't want to initiate night-weaning... is that even possible? Right now, he goes to sleep in his own bed around 730-830, and will stay there until between 2-4am, then come to our bed, where he pretty much comfort nurses until we get up at 630/7. Any tips? Like I said, I am really wanting not to limit his nursing as that may happen due to supply issues soon enough; but I also need more sleep...

i wish I knew the answer to this.  If I'd thought I could explain to DD that she can nurse once or twice at night, just not five or six times, I would have tried that, but I thought it might just confuse and upset her.  :/  

#18 of 79 Old 06-29-2011, 05:12 AM

I nurse my son 1x at bedtime.  Rarely does he ask any other time.  

I always dreamed of tandeming, but with my son turning 4 right before this baby is due, I am not so sure anymore.  While I never set a weaning goal with him (heck, my goal was to make it 6 months, with anything longer a bonus-we had rough start, but obviously ended up ok!), I am not sure about continuing to nurse him at 4.  That may be my limit.  I really never expected him to nurse this long, nor did I think there would ever be a 4 year age gap between my kids!

Only one side is producing now and for the first 30 seconds, it feels like he's ripping my nipple off. Then after that the pain mellows in to sandpaper covered knives, then numbs to tolerable.

Part of me hopes he'll wean on his own soon.  Part of me doesn't.  Maybe I could tandem....it would only be once a day, right?  And he'll be only 4 y/o...he still needs his momma.  

I guess for now, I will follow my son's lead.  If it becomes more painful, I may have to reconsider.  

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#19 of 79 Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blueheron View Post

DD won't accept any nighttime comfort from DH either.  I am kind of hoping that may be the next step after nightweaning.  I'm sure you've seen the Jay gordon nightweaning plan (here's the link), which we were going to follow but I ended up nightweaning DD cold turkey because she seemed to understand about the milks being asleep.  Depending on how verbal your LO is, I totally recommend trying to explain the difference between night and day.  We got a lovely book, too, called Nursies When the Sun Shines (here) which has really lovely illustrations.  

Last night was night 3 of nightweaning for us, and there were no tears.  She only signed for milk once, and when I reminded her that it was sleep time, she snuggled into me and went right back to sleep.  She has definitely been more snuggly/"clingy" at night but I am more than happy to oblige her with a cuddle!

Good luck and I hope you find something that works.  I feel like even just a couple nights' sleep has made me feel soooooo much better!  I wish the same for you.  smile.gif

That book looks good, thanks for the link:)

I was going to do Jay gordon's plan, even checked out the book. Then I read how you should only do it if you have to and they didn't even want to put it in there and it made me feel so guilty I never did it:( I also wasn't preggers at the time, so will probably try again. But we'll try on the weekend so DH can help, or, at least I can sleep in the next morning!

I also wish I could just explain to DS that I want him to nurse, just lets not do it so often! But, alas, he does not take to reasoning well;)

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#20 of 79 Old 06-30-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post

That book looks good, thanks for the link:)

I was going to do Jay gordon's plan, even checked out the book. Then I read how you should only do it if you have to and they didn't even want to put it in there and it made me feel so guilty I never did it:( I also wasn't preggers at the time, so will probably try again. But we'll try on the weekend so DH can help, or, at least I can sleep in the next morning!

I also wish I could just explain to DS that I want him to nurse, just lets not do it so often! But, alas, he does not take to reasoning well;)

Yeah....I made my peace with the decision to nightwean now that it's not just about my own convenience.  My body has been feeling much better and my nausea's down a bit.  Of course, this morning she woke up at 4 and just stayed awake until sunrise then insisted it was time for milk.  Which is of course technically correct since I told her she could have milk when the sun is up, but sheesh the idea is to SLEEP until then!!  So she fell back asleep after her sunrise nurse and now I can't get back to sleep, ugh! eyesroll.gif

#21 of 79 Old 06-30-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blueheron View Post

Yeah....I made my peace with the decision to nightwean now that it's not just about my own convenience.  My body has been feeling much better and my nausea's down a bit.  Of course, this morning she woke up at 4 and just stayed awake until sunrise then insisted it was time for milk.  Which is of course technically correct since I told her she could have milk when the sun is up, but sheesh the idea is to SLEEP until then!!  So she fell back asleep after her sunrise nurse and now I can't get back to sleep, ugh! eyesroll.gif

ROTFLMAO.gifSmart girl!

#22 of 79 Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM

I'm still nursing my 17 month old DD 2 a day, morning and night...sometimes she will ask during the day, which I let her, but not often... I'm actually quite surprised because with my first pregnancy, sore boobs was the first sign I was pregnant, and boy did they hurt. This time around, I'm now 7 wks 1d and in the last few days they are a bit sensitive at the beginning of the nursing session but it usually goes away within a few minutes. I'm hoping at this point that it won't get worse because I would love to tandem.... It think my supply is still good for now, because I can see milk in her mouth when she unlatches..keeping my fingers crossed..

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#23 of 79 Old 07-01-2011, 01:19 PM

I'm glad to have this thread, as I have a 10 month old DD who nurses all the time still. She eats a ton of solid foods but she's just such an infant still, yk? On a good night she only nurses twice. During the day she nurses before her 2 or 3 naps. It's not a lot, but then there are the BAD nights like lately because she's sick. And I hadn't even made the connection between pregnancy and sore boobs. I was blaming it on her 2 lower teeth (the only teeth she has)... but now that makes perfect sense.

Selfishly, I want to continue nursing at least a little bit til the birth of DC2 because I don't want to go through the nipple pain! I also want to night wean but I don't think I will til she's a year old. I don't want to rush weaning but I'm so seriously exhausted. Sometimes she will wake up every 10 minutes for an hour straight just crying. We still don't have easy sleeping situations happening here. Unless it's a good night, as I've mentioned. Sigh. I remember my first pregnancy and how much I slept and I knew it was because I was growing a baby. Now I feel sad and guilty and deprived because I'm not afforded that same luxury anymore. :(

What can I expect from her at 1 year and then again at 19 months when her sibling is born? How much communicating will we be able to do about nursing? And sleeping...?

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#24 of 79 Old 07-02-2011, 11:51 AM

Those that have night-weaned, talk me through your process... I don't want to nightwean, but some of our nights are feeling a little ridiculous and I'm exhausted!  On a good night DS (18m) will sleep until 4/430am, and then I'll nurse him for about an hour and then he'll sleep for another two, until 7am.  If every night were like that, I'd be really happy.  Other nights, he's up at 1, and then nurses constantly until morning.  This I can't take too much of!  Like I said earlier, I think, he's definitely picked up the nursing frequency since I got pregnant, I don't know if the taste is different or he just senses a shift or what.  He's also been working on his canines, which I know is no fun.  Insights, anyone?

#25 of 79 Old 07-02-2011, 03:58 PM

@krjt  - I think we're inadvertently almost night weaned now, so I'll tell you what we did with our 16 month old. We had always shared our king sized bed, but we wanted to see if he would sleep for longer stretches in his own space (he was waking every 2-3 hours on a good night and every hour on a bad night). When he woke, sometimes he would nurse back to sleep and other times my husband or I could gently pat, etc. It was getting to be a nightmare with the pregnancy tiredness and I was often so frustrated at night because we had no plan.

So....we pulled up a twin bed next to our king (our mattress was already on the floor) and started putting him in there for naps for a couple days. Then we started putting him there at night. We made a deal that he would stay in the little bed until 4am and only my husband would go to him - no exceptions. The first two nights, I had to go out to the other room because he cried for a while with my husband (maybe 15-20 minutes). But after 3-4 nights, my husband could often just say, "Lay down, go night night," and he would.

We've been doing this for 2 weeks now and he's sleeping in the bed by himself until 4am (from about 7pm) and only waking 0-1 times. And I'm not waking at all. It's amazing. After 4am, he's been coming to our bed and nursing nonstop until about 5:30am, but I'm hoping to cut that soon.

I should also note that my husband had already been the one putting him to bed at night for about 2 months, so he was used to his comfort style. 

We also have read and are talking about the book Nursies When the Sun Shines (you can buy it online - it's lovely).

#26 of 79 Old 07-03-2011, 03:15 PM

Thanks for that, phaedra13.  Maybe we'll try that... I'll keep you posted!

#27 of 79 Old 07-03-2011, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We just successfully nightweaned,but my dd is a little older - she's 2 1/2.  I have been wanting to do this for a while but getting pg was what finally got me moving - my supply dropped and dd was nursing 1-2 hours straight in the middle of the night and I couldn't sleep while she was nursing and I need more sleep than that because I am EXHAUSTED in the 1st trimester.

Because she's a little older, I just told her she can have bm when it's light outside, but when it's dark mama's boobs are sleeping and she can't have any.  The first night she cried for about 15 mins and she's done great ever since (about 3 weeks now).  She starts the night in her own bed then either she joins us in bed or I go to her bed when she wakes up, and cuddles are enough to get her right back to sleep.  I think she just needs the comfort in the middle of the night and not the bm.

My supply is definitely dropping, which makes me sad.  Most days she is too busy to stop to nurse, so she often only nurses right before bed and then first thing in the morning.  Tonight she started to nurse and said "nothing's coming out mama"

What do you say to your toddlers to explain to them why you're running out of milk?  I've been saying that she is getting older and she can eat lots of other things so she doesn't need bm anymore so mama's not making very much milk for her anymore.  I have a feeling i'll run out of milk soon and it makes me sad because dd loves nursing and I'm sad for that part of our relationship to be over.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain it to her.

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#28 of 79 Old 07-04-2011, 12:02 PM

Bluedaisy that is sad. I don't know what you say except tell her you'll miss that too. Share with her all the things she can have and cuddling doesn't have to stop. That's a hard sit.

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#29 of 79 Old 07-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Bluedaisy, are you interested in tandem nursing once your baby is born?  If so, then you could tell DD that the milk is going away for a a little bit but that it will come back soon and she can have more then if she wants (maybe she will, maybe not!).  Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell her... lots more cuddles!  Hugs to you, I'm sure that's sad for both of you!

#30 of 79 Old 07-04-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post

What do you say to your toddlers to explain to them why you're running out of milk?  I've been saying that she is getting older and she can eat lots of other things so she doesn't need bm anymore so mama's not making very much milk for her anymore.  I have a feeling i'll run out of milk soon and it makes me sad because dd loves nursing and I'm sad for that part of our relationship to be over.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain it to her.

I have been talking to my son about this for a few months now.  My left side was very sketchy about producing milk, starting before I became pregnant.  

I just tell my son that one day my "oakies" will know that he is ready to just snuggle with his momma at night (we only nurse at bedtime), and they will stop giving milk.  Then I tell him how snuggling with him at night if my favorite part of the day.

It is an acceptable answer to my son.  

When I was on Femara, I didn't nurse him.  I told him my oakies were sick, which he seemed also accept for the week or so I couldn't nurse (I did use a manual pump).

To him, my breasts are completely separate of me.  So if I make them out to be a third party, he seems to understand.  

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page