Not finding out? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Who else isn't planning on finding out the gender? We didn't find out with our first but did with our last 2. I figure since this will be our last (although, we said that with our third, so never say never) I'd like for it to be a surprise.

SAHMtranstichel.gif to DD1joy.gif(9/06), DD2energy.gif(4/09), DS1 kid.gif (1/11), and DS2 wild.gif (2/12)
knit.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gif Surprise! pos.gif #5 due 12/16/13 2ndtri.gif

#2 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 AM

I'm on the fence.  With mIchael, I KNEW he was a boy, even before we conceived him.  This time, I don't have a clue. Even, then, we found out with MIchael (cuz I was afraid I was wrong :lol:).

#3 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 PM

We'll keep it a surprise as well.  We did with our first, though we both felt it was a boy... and he was.  We'll see what feelings we get this time.  Fun!

#4 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 12:54 PM

We are not finding out. We did with the first two, but not the third. I much prefer not knowing. Having that surprise at the birth is so fun!

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#5 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 PM

With my son, we didn't find out.  I had a strong feeling, as in "paint the room blue," that it was a boy.  My husband swore it was a girl.  

Anyway, my husband has said he wants to find out the gender of this baby.  I do not.  He thinks we could plan better (if a girl).  I remind him that my son wore a lot of yellow and green the first few weeks and we still have those sleepers/outfits.  And surely we'll get several outfits from friends/family if a girl.  Then we could build a wardrobe as time went on. Baby toys are not gender specific really.  

I have a feeling this one is a girl, though I really want another boy.  I worry that I may be disappointed if we find out before birth that it is a girl.  I hope I don't sound totally selfish in that thinking.  I am happy with a heathy baby, but I really am hoping for a boy.  If I find out at birth that it's a girl, I believe the loving energy will flow from me to baby without my brain getting in the way for several months.  

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#6 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 PM

I still can't decide if I want to know or not!!

#7 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 08:39 PM

We are not finding out. My husband wants it to be a surprise and after 6 kids I figure I can let him have his way this time.

#8 of 16 Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 AM

we probably won't.  we didn't find out the sex of dd, either.  we just plain don't care. we raise our children gender-neutrally, and not finding out keeps people from buying sterotypical gifts etc. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#9 of 16 Old 07-02-2011, 01:30 PM

We are finding out this time. We didnt with DD, and I didnt really want to with this one, but DH really wants to. He feels like last time he got jerked around because once our US tech said "him" and I told DH that it was just a slip and it wasnt even early enough to find out. Later our OB said "her" and DH had thought the whole time that it was a boy. He wants to avoid any confusion. Plus, he hates the idea that there are people who know but we dont.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 16 Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM

We didn't find out with our first, did with our second. This time I think I would like to just find out the old fashioned way... when he/she comes out ;)

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#11 of 16 Old 07-03-2011, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm on the fence....with our dd, we were told at 21 weeks it was a boy then found out at 27 weeks it was a girl.

I really want to be surprised with this one, but at the same time I love to sew and I know I won't have much time to sew after the baby is born.  I have so many ideas for things I want to make for this baby and I don't want to be limited to gender neutral prints smile.gif

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#12 of 16 Old 07-04-2011, 07:03 AM

I so admire people who can handle the surprise.  I fear I'm too impatient.  We did find out with DD because we basically caved in the moment during the ultrasound. 

We haven't decided yet whether or not we will find out with this baby, but for me the reason to find out is it makes it more real if I have one concrete attribute of the person to come.  Though like Hildare I fear learning the sex and then having to deal with gendering my child before s/he is born (in our own minds but especially by other people). 

hildare likes this.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#13 of 16 Old 07-04-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Kai View Post

With my son, we didn't find out.  I had a strong feeling, as in "paint the room blue," that it was a boy.  My husband swore it was a girl.  

Anyway, my husband has said he wants to find out the gender of this baby.  I do not.  He thinks we could plan better (if a girl).  I remind him that my son wore a lot of yellow and green the first few weeks and we still have those sleepers/outfits.  And surely we'll get several outfits from friends/family if a girl.  Then we could build a wardrobe as time went on. Baby toys are not gender specific really.  

I have a feeling this one is a girl, though I really want another boy.  I worry that I may be disappointed if we find out before birth that it is a girl.  I hope I don't sound totally selfish in that thinking.  I am happy with a heathy baby, but I really am hoping for a boy.  If I find out at birth that it's a girl, I believe the loving energy will flow from me to baby without my brain getting in the way for several months.  

I'm the same way...I'd really like another boy but feel its a girl. I'll be happy with either though:)

I dont know that i want to have any USs so that's the main reason I won't find out. If we do decide to have an US I think it'll be too hard to not find out. We found out w/DS and it was nice being able to call him by his name the whole time, I felt closer to him. I do think the suprise would be fun though, especially since I'll probably have an uc so just we would know the baby's gender and get to call people on our time to tell the news.

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#14 of 16 Old 07-04-2011, 12:08 PM

We haven't decided. We've done it both ways.

With our first we didn't find out. We were convinced that it was a boy and both of us were shocked when "she" came out! We did find out with our 2nd but we didn't decide until the moment the ultrasound tech asked us if we wanted to know. We found out with the second mostly to help our oldest make the connection with the new babe. We told everyone that we didn't find out. It was our family secret.

I'm tempted to find out with this one because if it is a boy we will need to have a giant garage sale to get rid of all the girl clothes! But I'm guessing this one will be our last and I kind of want the surprise of it again!

Mom to DD(5), DD(3) and Someone New (2/12); Married to "The Husband" since 9/02.

#15 of 16 Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

We are not planning to find out. DP wouldn't mind knowing but I want it to be a surprise. 

We will get a TON of hand me down stuff from friends and family so we'll take whatever. I'm not fussed about dressing a boy in pink or a girl in blue - either way is fine with me.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#16 of 16 Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 AM

I won't be having any ultrasounds, at least I don't plan on having any. If I need to have one for a medical reason, I may find out. I didn't have ultrasounds with my first 2 so they were surprises too.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page