growing family desperately seeking 6 passenger vehicle - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are expecting baby #4 in February.

Basic math problem: 6 people in a 5 passenger car = dad in trunk? idea.gif  just joking.

My husband's first, major concern when we found out was "What about the car?", while I am mentally planning moving kidlets around in the 3 bedrooms, he's off on auto logistics. My sweet Subaru legacy all of the sudden is inadequate. I am looking for sound advice from real parents (Mothering.Com parents!) on the truth about minivans, SUVs and other auto options that work for you and your family. I would really appreciate any words of wisdom.

goorganic.jpg   namaste.gif   waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 PM

No suggestions but anxiously waiting for replies. We are either going to have to buy another vehicle that is an SUV/Van (have a compact car) or trade that in for something bigger. We're planning on 4 kids total, moving onto baby #3 now. lurk.gif

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#3 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 02:16 PM

We're gonna trade our Pilot in for a minivan. I feel like most large (3 row) SUVs aren't meant for families with young children. The only way DSs carseat fits now is in the middle, wedged btwn the front seats a bit. We wouldn't be able to fit 2 carseats in the second row. If we pull out the third row there's virtually no "trunk" room and how would we get back there anyway? Mine are close in age and if the car seats weren't an issue than it wouldn't be as bad. In a van there's normally more room btwn the 1st and 2nd rows and there's more likely captain seats so it's easy to get to the back. And it keeps toddler grabby hands away from a newborn.  The other thing I like about vans is the sliding doors. I'm sick of worrying about other cars when I'm putting my son into the carseat.

So, yes, I'm going to be a minivan mom (my high school self would be so embarassed)!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#4 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Yeah, I am eager to hear what others say.  We can squeeze the three adults and two kids we need to into our Honda CRV but it's tight.  And if my brother comes up ... we can't all be together.

But I hate the idea of a minivan plus ... I don't like having the kids vulnerable to a rear hit in the back...

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#5 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 PM

I have no advice on a minivan, but I have a Ford Flex and love it. As for looks, it is one of those cars you either love or hate. I, obviously, love it. :)

As for seating, it either sits 6 or 7 depending on how you get it. You can either get a bench or two captain's chairs (like in a minivan) for the second row. If you have lots of passengers, I would recommend the captain's chairs since it will make access to the back row bench much easier. I have the bench and it works great for us, since we are only a three, soon to be four person family.

As for being hit from behind, I am not sure of the exact dimensions, but I'm thinking there is around a foot from the back bench to the back window.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#6 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 PM

I love our minivan.  Love it.

We bought it only having 2 kids, but it has been a lifesaver.  Auto doors are awesome. 

We have a dodge grand caravan with the automatic doors and stow n' go seating.  My 2 kids are in the 2nd row captains chairs, and our foster son is in the 3rd row.  I fold the larger portion of the 3rd row down and it lays flat-- so I can easily access the 3rd row from the hatch.  All my kids are rear facing, and they all climb in themselves except for our 10 month old foster son :-). 

I don't know what I'd do without our minivan! 

SAHM to our 2 blessings through adoption!  DD 2 1/2 and DS 2.

#7 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks sisters!blowkiss.gif

We were going for the Honda Pilot, but now I really need to get over myself and seriously give the MINIVAN a chance. They seem to be so much more practical, and lets face it- anything that makes my life easier should NOT be looked down on because of ego issues! I seriously needed sound advice and all y'all delivered! Let's keep each other posted on our quests.

Plus, this was my first thread!

j

#8 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 12:49 AM

Both our cars are over ten years old, so I can't give you new car advice.  I can give some minivan experience with several kids.  We have a 94 GMC Safari XT.  Everything is old and busted on it, and it gets crappy gas mileage.  We keep it in our community, and I drive it maybe twenty miles a week.  I gave three kids rides to/from preschool in it (three miles round trip?).  My favorite part about the minivan is that I can get in the sliding door, buckle all the kids up, and then climb into my seat in the front.  We live in the mountains where it RAINS and SNOWS alot.  This year was particularly bad.  It was so nice to keep the kids and myself dry and warm in the van.  We also have a 96 Saturn Station Wagon, and while it also fits three forward facing seats, I have to be outside to get the kids buckled.  I got very wet and very cold in the winter.  Even if I got in and turned around in my seat, I would still have to leave the driver's door open, or open it back up to turn around.

So, yeah.  Mini (and not so mini) vans can be a super good thing :0).  

#9 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 AM

I'll be getting a "bakfiets" - a cargo bike... Amsterdam is a bike city not a car city :)  http://bakfiets.nl/eng/

That said, a minivan sure looks comfy.

#10 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 01:34 AM

Ooh, that looks cool!  We have bikes (DS just started riding a two wheeler), but nothing for a little person.

#11 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sorry:  DDC crashing here ...

We're expecting #4, too.  So glad we have a minivan - an '07 Kia Sedona. We have 3 Britax carseats - one of which is the enormous up-to-85lb one, and all three will not fit across a bench seat.   I have also found the minivan handy for carpooling.  We can  fit up to two extra passengers now - that'll be down to 1 extra once #4 arrives.  This has been nice since my older daughters have entered the elementary social scene.  thumb.gif

The back seat folds down in two sections for extra cargo space as well.  Wonderful for road trips, moving, etc.   I was able to remove a seat and transport a dryer (one of those HE stackable washer/dryers).   The windows in the middle section  roll down just like the windows in the back seat of a car - very nice feature during summer.

Crash ratings:

Quote:
IRVINE, Calif., July 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Today it was announced the Kia Sedona minivan and Kia Sorento SUV both received "Good" ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) for rear impact collisions. A "Good" is the highest possible rating given by IIHS and according to the institute represents the best protection for people of all sizes in a typical rear-end crash.

"It is becoming well-known that Kia builds safety into all of its vehicles and Kia Sedona and Kia Sorento are just the latest examples to pass independent testing," said Len Hunt, executive vice president and COO of Kia Motors America (KMA). "We strive to provide our customers with quality vehicles that are equipped with the best available safety features."

IIHS bases their ratings of "Good," "Acceptable," "Marginal" or "Poor" on geometric measurements of head restraints and simulated crashes that, according to the IIHS, when combined assess how well people of different sizes would be protected in an average rear crash. According to IIHS injuries to the neck are the most commonly reported by victims of car crashes; the Kia Sedona and Kia Sorento's standard active head restraints offer optimum and essential passenger neck and back support and protection.

Serving as Kia's flagship safety vehicle, the Kia Sedona has collected a number of accolades, including receiving the company's first five-star crash safety rating for each seating position from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) when it debuted in 2002, as well as receiving the "Top Safety Pick" from the IIHS for the past two consecutive years. The current generation Kia Sedona, both Long and Short Wheel Bases, tout other standard safety features including six standard airbags (dual advanced front and front seat-mounted side air bags, and full-length side curtain air bags for all three seating rows), a four-channel, four-sensor, antilock brake system (ABS), and a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

Source:  http://www.autospectator.com/cars/kia/0018542-2007-kia-sedona-2007-kia-sorento-awarded-039-good-039-ratings-iihs 

Source 

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#12 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 AM

SO many good points brought up that I hadn't even taken into I account! Thanks! Can't wait to share this with DH. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#13 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londongandert View Post

Thanks sisters!blowkiss.gif

We were going for the Honda Pilot, but now I really need to get over myself and seriously give the MINIVAN a chance. They seem to be so much more practical, and lets face it- anything that makes my life easier should NOT be looked down on because of ego issues! I seriously needed sound advice and all y'all delivered! Let's keep each other posted on our quests.

Plus, this was my first thread!

j

ROTFLMAO.gif  Can I ever relate to the ego issues.  When my car started breaking down, I got to the point I refused to put my kids in it and so started the search for a vehicle.  Knowing we were planning on having 4 kids eventually, we were looking at the 7 passenger options.  I gave up on my ego (for now - I can always be cool later when my kids will actually notice) and got a Dodge Grand Caravan.  {I love it so much - favorite vehicle ever}  With two, soon to be three, little ones I can't imagine having anything else.  It gets decent enough gas mileage, has room for kids, luggage and our medium sized dog.  It's easy enough to move around in that it won't be a pain getting to the back to buckle our 3 year old in.  Plus, when it's cold outside (we live in Alberta)  I can toss the kids inside, climb inside myself, and sort everyone out where it's warm and dry.

Only thing I would highly recommend - stow n go seating.  Seriously.  I never though we'd need so much room in the back that we'd have to take the back seat out, but we've done it 4 times since February.  It's heavy and it's a pain, so the stow n go is definitely something I'd get in the future.

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

#14 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 12:18 PM

We've been driving a sedan with a family of 5, and now with baby #4 on the way, we're going to buy a minivan.   I am strongly leaning towards a youngish, used Toyota Sienna.  Reviews for minivans in general seem to put the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey at the top, and it seems to me that the sienna is more practical from a $$$ standpoint.    I'm also leaning towards 8 passenger rather than 7, just for that being nicer if we have a visitor, or want to give another kid a ride.   I looked at a 2011 sienna, and the 3rd seat in the 2nd row is a total joke.  2010, 2009, 2008, the seating looks good.

#15 of 20 Old 07-20-2011, 03:12 PM

A friend of mine has a Mazda 5 and it could definitely fit 4 carseats plus 2 adults.

#16 of 20 Old 07-26-2011, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I have a Mazda 5, while it's perfect if you have a few extra's now and then, I wouldn't recommend it if you're going to be needing all four seats in the back.  As grocery shopping and travel are difficult and you end up storing everything in the front seat or on the floor and you don't want to have to do that with so many little feet.  For just getting about without needing the storage space I love it.  Drives great, no problems and I tinted all my windows limo black so you can't see the mess that is that back of the my car.  Only the front seats that look great... no gum on the seats or snot smears on the arm rests.  Oh and the Mazda 5 is pretty inexpensive.

#17 of 20 Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 PM

We got a Chrysler Town and Country when I was pregnant with our third. We like it okay:)

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#18 of 20 Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 AM

This is my 3rd. Right now I have a Scion xB. Of course this will definitely not fit all the kids in the back so bigger car it is! I want a Mazda 5. It can fit everyone and everything and it's the least "vanny" type of van I've seen. I also like the Nissan Quest as well.
#19 of 20 Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 AM

DDCC crashing.  I have a Mazda 5 with soon to be 3 teenagers and a rather large hockey bag.  I had a Subaru outback for 12 years before that.  Love, love, love my Mazda.  I also have tinted windows.

#20 of 20 Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for the information on 6 passenger vehicles. As I have a growing family, I will prove much needed that I need a bigger car. Rigth now I have a honda Civic and that will not be big enough for my growing family.

I will probably go with a Dodge, I hear good things about them.thumb.gif

Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page