I'm so constipated I am LITERALLY afraid to go to the bathroom. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else?  

Also,any advice????  I drink a ton of water, I eat veggies, I exercise, I eat the occasional prune.  

BUT OUCH.  Help!

#2 of 23 Old 07-13-2011, 04:52 AM

I'm not there yet, but I can kind of feel it happening.  Gross, I know, but some are um, harder than others right now!!

Have you tried aquaphor around your anus?  Especially if you've already had a little tear or anything that would making going the next time even harder.

SAHM to our 2 blessings through adoption!  DD 2 1/2 and DS 2.

#3 of 23 Old 07-13-2011, 04:58 AM

This pregnancy I have not been too constipated. I think I have maybe skipped a day. Lately I have been having a sip of my husband's coffee in the morning, and that little bit really does the trick.
My last pregnancy I was super constipated. I would go days. I don't think there was anything I did to help it other than stop worrying. That is what was stressing me out the most. I hope you find relief soon.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#4 of 23 Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 AM

DDCC...I was constipated early on in my pg. The only thing that helped was eating 4-5 prunes a day.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#5 of 23 Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

my poops feel like big rubber plugs... OUCH.    Aquaphor - that *is* what I need!  Could I substitute like triple antibiotic ointment,something like that?

#6 of 23 Old 07-13-2011, 05:56 AM

if it were me, i would use an otc stool softner.  ask your ob/midwife to make sure it's ok.  if it's gotten to that point i don't know that anything will help other than a product like that.

to keep it better in the future, try apples, too, prunes like you are, prune juice.  you might want to take fewer prenatal vitamins, the iron is what bothers most people. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#7 of 23 Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 AM

Frannie, you must be so uncomfortable.  I'm sorry!

I would definitely use a stool softener at this point.  In fact, the prenatal vitamins I took last pregnancy (rx) had a stool softener in them as part of the vitamin.  I looked up what was in them and bought that type when I switched to OTC vitamins.  It was the equivalent of dulcalax (in the U.S.). 

I also in the past (pre-pregnancy) tried drinking psyllium husk in juice-- it was gross but also did the trick.  And, lots of dried prunes...  Maybe you want to try switching your vitamin.  You might find that one that is food based is easier to absorb and process. 

All that said, I have the opposite problem this pregnancy... 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#8 of 23 Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

thanks so much for the advice guys.  I have a natural OTC stool softener that I use when I travel sometimes... I am calling my midwife in the morning for approval.   And apples and prunes are going to be added to my daily diet!

#9 of 23 Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 AM

Can you eat beets?  My health care provider told me it's fine to take magnesium to help with constipation.  It really works.  Good luck!  -Violet

Married to the man of my dreams since June 2000.  We are blessed with two magical children, a daughter born in the caul on June 2005 and a  rainbow1284.gifson born under water on June 2012.  

#10 of 23 Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 AM

I agree--if you're in that much pain, go for a stool softener...just until you can get some relief. 

My OB w/DS#1 recommended Colace.

#11 of 23 Old 07-14-2011, 08:32 AM

unfortunately, this is something I have too much experience with. Might be TMI coming up, so warning!

I tend toward constipation even when not pregnant.  With my last pregnancy, I made up a 'constipation kit' next to my toilet. Gloves, hemorrhoid ointment, wet wipes (less irritating than TP), glycerin suppositories.  I was told by my Dr. to take stool softener every night, and fiber every morning. Still I would bleed every single time. Something the size of a softball coming out your anus tends to tear it. 

Prunes are a great idea if you can stomach them, but you need several a day, not just one.  Prune juice is also a good idea.

This time, I am already on the stool softener every night and fiber every morning. I make sure to drink ~1 gallon of water a day (that also helped with UTIs last time I was pregnant). I have my 'kit' (but so far haven't needed it *knock on wood*).

I realized I was gravitating toward cheese (which is binding) as my main protein because of the morning sickness, so yesterday I decided to grind up some great northern beans with a little lemon juice, sesame seeds, and salt and pepper... that spread on crackers was a good high-fiber, non-morning-sickness-inducing protein source... almost like hummus but without the strong flavor and smell.

Sorry for the TMI, but I hope against hope that doing all these things will help me not have the issues I had at the end of pregnancy last time... the end of pregnancy was the worst for the constipation :(

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#12 of 23 Old 07-14-2011, 03:47 PM

For me, the prune juice is the only thing that keeps things moving.  6 oz. per day.  Yucky, yes, but tolerable.

#13 of 23 Old 07-17-2011, 05:13 PM

Sorry to post later on, but this is starting to be a problem for me too... any natural remedies for the pain afterwards?  Do the OTC medicated pads work? Are they safe? Thanks.... 

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#14 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 04:55 AM

My obgyn said 2 kiwis and a glass of OJ every morning. Glycerin suppositories help too :-)

#15 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If I have my morning smoothie that seems to help - it's just frozen bananas/berries with almond milk and ground flax for fiber. I wasn't making the smoothies for a few weeks due to m/s but started them again this week and it made a big difference.

I've also been eating lots of prunes but I find they cause stinky gas.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#16 of 23 Old 07-19-2011, 08:26 PM

I was told during my last pregnancy by my Dr. that the witchhazel pads were safe, as was hemorrhoid ointment, as long as I didn't use it more than the recommended amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGR View Post

Sorry to post later on, but this is starting to be a problem for me too... any natural remedies for the pain afterwards?  Do the OTC medicated pads work? Are they safe? Thanks.... 

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#17 of 23 Old 07-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Could be worse from iron in a prenatal. You could try taking a prenatal without iron plus Floradix, a liquid iron supplement, which has less side effects. Colace will help with constipation also and my OB last pregnancy had me taking it together with the iron tabs I was taking then to avoid the constipation that iron tabs cause. I once forgot to take the Colace and I broke out in cold sweat and felt like I was going to have the baby 3 months early. Turned out I just had to go to the bathroom. crap.gif

#18 of 23 Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 AM

My midwife suggested Cloraphil....you can find it at most natural food stores.  Its liquid, and she said to take 2 tbs in the morning and 2 at night.  She also recommended putting in the fridge!  Hope this helps!

USAF wife knit.gif to DH Chris (10/9/10) hug2.gif, Momma to DS (2/12) babyf.gifintactlact.gif, and expecting another surprise 6/2013 joy.gif

#19 of 23 Old 07-29-2011, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

sorry, but the bean dip sounds soooooooooooooooooooo good.  Going to try that when I get home.

gossamerwindweb likes this.
#20 of 23 Old 07-29-2011, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DDCC here (well, I am due at the end of Jan. and it's the first babe so I may start coming around here more often)!  I had this problem up until about 3 weeks ago (14 weeks now).  Here's what helped:

- First thing in the morning, before you put ANYTHING in your mouth, drink water!  Lots of water! I would aim for a liter of room temp water with lemon.  - This single handedly helped the most if I could force myself to do it.

- Aim for 3 liters to a gallon of water a day.  It can be tough but really helps.

- Coconut water - I drank a lot of this, hydrates in ways that water doesn't and seems to help keep things going.

- Try to go for a walk in the morning if possible for you, find an excuse after you've had your liter of water and some high fiber toast to walk out side for like 10-15 minutes.

- Get in as much high fiber food as you can.

These things made it where going every day was possible.  Hope it helps for you!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#21 of 23 Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 AM

Frannie,

You and I are in the same boat.  Around 6 weeks I stopped pooping completely. It was so uncomfortable and every cramp I had I thought was something going wrong. I now have one strong cup of coffee a day and then every couple of days I drink a huge 12 oz, glass of prune juice. It's pretty disgusting after awhile but it is the only thing that has worked for me. Fiber biscuits, Metamucil, lots of veggies including artichokes, nothing got me going. My OB said it was fine, plus there is lots of good vitamins and minerals in prune juice. I wish I could say I've been spared MS too, but that kicks in around 7 PM each night.

Fun times!

#22 of 23 Old 08-02-2011, 11:49 AM

I have had this problem since I got pregnant with #1 8 years ago.  Exercise helps me tremendously.  I am a runner and have been CrossFitting since last year.  I quit for about a month due to morning sickness and extreme fatigue.  Needless to say, I have been pretty backed up.  Sunday night I went to the track and did a sprint workout.  As soon as I was done, I was able to go.  Pears, apples and yogurt have helped a bit, and I recently started taking bee pollen, but honestly the running always gets me "running"!  Also, as much as it hurts, it's best to just get it out.  Consider it practice for the ring of fire and pushing during labor!!  And where ever you are, if you feel the urge, GO!!  Hope you are all getting some relief!!

#23 of 23 Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 PM

I just had my first experience with this today. Never before have I encountered such an event. It felt like I was giving birth all over again! It totally freaked me out. We have been traveling for 2 weeks which never does great things for my constitution but wow! My husband thought I was having a miscarriage, I was in and out of the shower, it was insane!

Clearly it is time to go and get something at the store to help things be a bit more friendly! Yowza. 

Mom to DD(5), DD(3) and Someone New (2/12); Married to "The Husband" since 9/02.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page