I want to go shopping!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2011, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is five years old (will be six when baby is born) and a whole bunch of friends/family have given birth in the last year, so I will have tons of baby clothes/furniture for free/cheap.  But I want to SHOP!!!! :lol:  I think shopping helped make the pregnancy real last time.  I know we won't be buying hardly any furniture for baby (thinking we will borrow a baby bouncer, and possibly an exersaucer for later).  We gave away our jogging stroller, so we need to get one of those (a must have for our non-sidewalk, off road, country area, when parents are jogging, or grandparents take baby).  POssibly a highchair, but those are super cheap, and we can wait on that.

I would love to try out a bunch of different kinds of CDs, but we will probably rely on prefolds and covers again.  Those are just our faves-- cheap and easy :).

My Babyhawk MT is still alive and kicking after 3.5 years of carrying DS.  I love it, and wouldn't trade it for anything.  None of the slings I tried last time really worked for me.  I have a big bust/big belly, and just wasn't comfortable.  DH will most likely need a sling, since he was much more comfortable with the sling than with the MT when DS was an infant.

Like I said, I have lots of sources for clothes (cousin had a girl in Sept., and a friend is waiting to see what I am having before she gets rid of her baby clothes :lol:), and my local thrift stores have bag sales all the time, so I am not worried about those.

So, anyone planning WAAAAY ahead? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 AM

This is my first child... so far I am having the most fun shopping for cloth diapers :)    I am also excited about "simple" (flats and covers) but I am buying a bit of this and that, to see what we ultimately like.

I have also been having fun knitting up a STORM for this wee one.  

I am reluctant to buy clothes though - I know we will be inundated with that and we live small!   And I am EXCITED to get a stroller and crib etc. from a friend... but in the meantime I am excited to buy a high chair.  I am going for Stokke!!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:19 AM

I have to say, I am a little bummed that we seem to have everything.  I wish I had something to shop for!  I'm sure I'll get some new covers or something, but we don't really need anything. 

I just purchased an infant car seat for our foster children, so the new baby will ride in that.   I had 2 kids in cloth diapers for so long, that I have a ton of flats, prefolds, and covers.  I have a boy and a girl, so I have all the clothing that I could ever need.  I have a moby wrap that was handed down from a friend. 

I think the only thing this baby needs is someplace to store his/her clothing.  So a dresser.  Hmmm... I will have to think up some stuff to buy!

SAHM to our 2 blessings through adoption!  DD 2 1/2 and DS 2.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:37 AM

I'm definitely having trouble resisting the urge to shop. 

We also have just about everything we need... we'll need a new infant car seat but that isn't fun shopping.  We also will need a new infant stroller but I have to wait on that until we decide the carseat.  (Which will actually probably be britax bc we love the britax we ultimately got for dd, and had horrible-screaming-infant-entire-time -in-the-car issues with Graco!)  We're basically set for diapers (we loved the prefold and covers solution as well).  We'll need a new dresser for DD OR a new changing table for baby but that will be up to DD once we tell her and talk it all through. 

So, the only things I can justify buying... more baby carriers!  We have two wrap style carriers that DH and I wore through DD infanthood (one for each of us), a mei tei that wasn't a great fit, an ergo and now a Boba carrier.  So, I'm looking at slings...  I'm not sure how long it's going to tide me over!

With DD, I made a scrap quilt with fabric scraps given to us by friends and family.  I could start thinking of a quilt project for Baby 2.  (Or I could finally finish the backing on DDs...smile.gif ).  I was fantasizing about learning to knit so I could make a baby blanket.   Hmmm... still doesn't entirely cure the urge to want to go out and buy tiny little clothing pieces.

Frannie, btw, we love our Stokke! 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannieM View Post

This is my first child... so far I am having the most fun shopping for cloth diapers :)    I am also excited about "simple" (flats and covers) but I am buying a bit of this and that, to see what we ultimately like.

Me too!  It's pretty fun.  

I have also bought some clothes, but I am trying to resist the urge to buy any more right now.  If we have a girl, I know my sister in law will try to unload all of my nieces stuff on me, so we probably won't need to buy much (although she dressed my niece ULTRA girly and I am not really keen on that, so we'll see).  

For bigger things like a stroller and furniture, I will wait until closer to baby time before I commit to buying anything.  I am having fun looking at things in the meantime though!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 AM

I'm buying a beco this month, so that'll be one of my few purchases. If it's a girl I'll need lots of clothes, if it's a boy I just need a bigger car.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 AM

Oh! I've been coveting the Beco's.  Maybe I'll start looking at them again.  They have such beautiful prints and seem so useful and supportive.  Are you getting a Gemini or Butterfly? 

Old 07-16-2011, 08:32 PM

This being my fourth I mainly have everything, but there is always something that catches my eye! So far I have bought/ordered a Didysling, and my custom Kindercarry was just delivered last week. I do need a new car seat but will just borrow the infant from a friend for the couple of winter months we need it then get the convertible one in the Spring.

You mama's ordering the Beco, good choice! I loved the Beco with my last for when he was small.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:52 PM

I have this uncanny felling I am carrying a girl. Which we are naming Sparrow. So, of course I have to buy ANY BABY ITEM WITH A BIRD on it. My husband laughs because this has gone as far as owls. Plus, the little bundle just may be a James! OMGasp! Nonetheless, Beco has those drop dead darling carriers with birds... So, I am doing the baby birld theme  -I am sure Sparrow or James will not care one iota. ;D 

I was not this crazy with the middle two pregnancies. My very first I went a little crazy with Beatrix Potter (which was mainly blue and I was expecting a girl, Victoria Winter.)

I tend to be a naturetreehugger.gif girl not a material girl but cyber window shopping rocks!

I am so with you on cloth diapers! That is one thing that is a for sure must have item! This is my first time doing cloth, so I am way excited! Which is great as, It's hard to get excited the fourth time, I am still in a little denial land! I double agree that shopping helps with bonding right now!

Can't wait to feel the little critter move... hoping just a few more weeks...

Old 07-16-2011, 10:48 PM

Since DD will only be 22 months when the newbie arrives, I dont have much to shop for. I have already started making extra cloth wipes, and I need to buy some more prefolds and covers. We have plenty of slings, so we arent making any additions there. We need to buy a bumbo chair and a new stroller. Other than that, Im super excited about shopping for the kids' room. DD is currently sharing a room with me and DH, but we are moving our laundry romm downstairs to the basement and moving all the kiddie stuff into the laundry room (which is off of our room). SO, I need to buy:

Paint
a net for stuffed animals
a closet organizer
little coat hangers
canvas box organizers for under the changing table

and make

a toddler bed
a willow ribbon curtain for DDs bed
a mobile for new baby

But, mainly, instead of shopping, I really need to be cleaning out the basement so I can move the laundry room downstairs so I can get started on the new room. Damn first trimester and this fatigue.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 PM

Parsely I'm getting the butterfly II, I like the newborn attachment for easy back carries. I have a woven wrap and LOVED putting my newborn in the high rucksac tie but it was a long process every time. I wanted something a little quicker and easy for when I'm alone and need a free front side.

I think the gemini is awesome but I like the features of the butterfly more. I debated with myself before commiting to one or the other for a good year. The baby on the way made it a no brainer for me.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Old 07-18-2011, 09:48 AM

We used woven wraps with DD for the first year or so.  They were great but I think that I'll need a way to pop #2 in and out more quickly-- like when dropping DD off at school, for example!  I was leaning toward the beco butterfly in addition to a sling for both the popping in and out reasons and because we ended up adoring both our Ergo and Boba with DD. 

Thanks for sharing your preference for the butterfly, Right of Passage.  So far I just keep looking at their site and admiring the color and pattern combos!  They are way prettier than either our Ergo or Boba! 

User Tag List