first trimester symptoms come and go? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if anyone else's symptoms seem to come and go? I am desperately paranoid of another missed miscarriage and although I've been having strong symptoms (breast tenderness, fatigue, nausea are most prominent) since the 6 week mark, I seem to be feeling much better today, which is making me worry (I'm 7w 3d). I'd much rather feel like major crap knowing that at least my baby is growing strong, ya know? 

Anyone else's symptoms ease for a while only to come back? Anyone else a paranoid wreck like me? I think I am going to drive myself bonkers. nut.gif

Wife to my heartbeat.gifDHheartbeat.gif since 2002, and mama to my AMAZING little girls (2/2009 & 3/2012), a sweet little angel1.gif in heaven (3/2008) and hoping for another healthybabyf.gif 1/20/2015!    
#2 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 AM

I thought I was in the clear the other day, other to spend the following day dry heeving. grossedout.gif

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#3 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 10:46 AM

I was just worrying to myself and another friend about how easy it seems.  I am 8 weeks today, and I've had no morning sickness.  A little bit of feeling very full and not hungry-- like a fullness in the back of my throat last week, but no real morning sickness.  I also don't feel that tired anymore. 

I am driving myself crazy, and I cannot wait until next week at this time, when I have my first appointment, so I can voice my concerns and ask for an ultrasound to verify that there is, infact, a baby in there!  With my last pregnancy, there was just an empty sac, but I had completely miscarried by 6-7 weeks (and I had been bleeding from the start).  So I'm hopeful, but worried all at the same time!

SAHM to our 2 blessings through adoption!  DD 2 1/2 and DS 2.

#4 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 11:22 AM

I can totally understand your worry but I would take the symptom-free day and run with it while you can =]. One day I will feel fine and the next four I feel miserable.

#5 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 AM

I'm finding that my morning-sickness varies a lot day to day.  I've had a few days when I'm sick all day long, some days when I feel basically fine except for some passing moments and then some days when I spend half the day feeling sick.  I think it's worse when I'm tired, not exercising, eating badly, etc...  But, I'm obsessed and worried!  And, I'm driving DH crazy with my daily report of how bad the nausea is, whether or not it's actually better or worse than with DD, what might effect it and whether or not I should worry.

I also find myself counting how many seconds after DD latches on before my breast stops hurting.  I'm looking for some magic pattern but there isn't-- some days 10 secs, some days 15.  Some days I wince and tears fill my eyes, others days not so bad. 

I've even tried to count the number of pimples on my face. 

So, yeah.  I'm a nervous wreck too... pretty sure that is also partly the pregnancy hormones.  So far I've cried about a job prospect for DH, an article on a blog, and a commercial on tv.   Last night I started to cry because I thought DD and DH were leaving me out... 

Fatigue hasn't changed one bit though.  I am totally exhausted all the time.

I am not a graceful pregnant woman.

BTW, I'm 8w5d today.

AlisonM23 likes this.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#6 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Wow, I was about to start a thread just like this!  

I was pretty yucky from about 5-7.5 weeks.  Then it started lessening.  The past 3 days, I have felt pretty decent as far as nausea. 

Today, I actually felt really good.  It was almost scary how good I felt.  My boobs also are a lot less sore than yesterday, which freaks me out.  

Aside from extreme mid-day exhaustion today, I wouldn't know I was pregnant...which is totally alarming.  

I am either 8+1 or 7+6, depending on which due date I use.    

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#7 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 PM

I am right there with you!  I panicked at 6wk when I had a spot of blood and felt better than I had for two weeks.  My midwife did an HCG test twice to ease fears, and my symptoms came right back again. 

Today I'm actually feeling like a human being for the first time in 2 weeks.  I'm 8wk, 2days today.  Anytime I don't feel terrible I start freaking out, but any time I feel terrible I just want to feel better!

I'm just trying to remember that if something goes wrong, there's nothing I can do about it anyway, so I am just going to be gentle with myself, treat myself well and keep a positive attitude.  I'm not always successful at this, but I keep trying!

Hope you start feeling better (worse?). 

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#8 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your encouragement ladies!! Reading your responses has made me feel so much better about my "predicament" if you will. 

@JMD5294, I wasn't sick at ALL with my first two pregnancies, one of which ended in the birth of my very healthy DD, so don't be too worried about the lack of morning sickness. I felt GREAT with DD during my first trimester compared to this pregnancy. With this one, I generally feel like I've been hit by a train.

@ Parsley, I laughed while reading your comment--you sound just like me!! Every time DD latches, I analyze every single feeling--or lack thereof--to see if my boobs are still tender (they are), and like you said, sometimes the pain causes me to wince and other times, it's not too bad at all. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one overanalyzing every aspect of my pregnancy.

@Mama2Kai, I'm sure your other symptoms will return, especially if you're still feeling exhausted. Hopefully we will BOTH be feeling sick again soon!

@TeamGR, thank you for the reminder. You're right, whatever happens is completely out of our hands, so all we really can do is be patient with ourselves and stay positive. 

I am assuming my levels (which were drawn last week with my OB) are appropriate since I haven't heard from my doctor. Other than that, I don't have another appointment until the first week of August with my MW (3 weeks away!!!). She will check for a HB at that point--I'm just so scared that we will all go in (DD included) and she won't be able to find a HB with the doppler :( I need to stop imagining these depressing worst-case scenarios and just enjoy this pregnancy and allow myself to daydream about a new baby. I feel like we all deserve at least that. It also doesn't help that I am newly off work (just became a stay-at-home mama) and am still adjusting to that as well. Not working has given me so much more time to perseverate on my fears. 

The first trimester is the worst!

Wife to my heartbeat.gifDHheartbeat.gif since 2002, and mama to my AMAZING little girls (2/2009 & 3/2012), a sweet little angel1.gif in heaven (3/2008) and hoping for another healthybabyf.gif 1/20/2015!    
#9 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Yes! my symptoms come and go through the day  and I worry every single time and then they are back and I'm happy to have them back even though I feel like crap, now I'm learning to be productive whenever I feel good yesterday I did some cleaning and today I did laundry.

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#10 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM

I absolutely could have written this as well. I wish you would have posted this last week. It would have brought me great relief. I mentioned in a another thread how my FIL said, "you are absolutely sure you are pregnant, right?". I thought it was silly, but then it started to get to me, and I had one pregnancy test left, so, I took it. Line came up immediately. I thought, great! But then, it never got darker than like a 12 or 13 DPO line. I kinda started freaking out a little, and started to re-examine all of my symptoms, or lack thereof. Much to my disappointment. The past few days I had been so happy to not be exhausted anymore. Now, that started to scare me. Then I kept kinda bouncing around my boobs to see if they were sore. I was so confused, I couldn't tell. I don't have many symptoms, so, this made it hard, too. The next day, I made my husband get me another pack of pregnancy tests when he went to the store. Looking back, it's kind of funny to be so nervous about POS once you are already pregnant. Thankfully, that one was the darkest, boldest line I had ever seen. What a wild ride. This week all my symptoms are back and roaring.

Craziness!! And I agree with most of you ladies, that the first trimester is just the HARDEST!!!!!

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#11 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 PM

I am so glad you wrote this thread!!!  I was just worrying about this yesterday!!!  The only way I know I am still pregnant is that my boobs are super sore (they keep getting more sore, which I don't remember from last time) and I get a buzzing headache whenever I eat sugar.  Also, from time to time, I get the queasy tummy, but not so much.

#12 of 20 Old 07-15-2011, 05:32 AM

I can relate...I'll be 10 weeks in 2 days.  The past few days I've noticed I have felt really, really good! No nausea, no headaches, not too much really. I've been able to enjoy the past few days with my DS feeling normal again.  Of course I was a bit relieved and happy to be feeling so well for a bit but then, when starting to think too much about it, it does make you worry at the same time, especially since my last pregnancy with DS was horrendous with MS just about every single day for 4 months - LOL! This pregnancy is surely much different so it throws me for a loop!  I am having a bit of nausea today again this morning so it surely does wax and wane.  I say just enjoy your feeling-good days when you can. 

I've read a lot of other pregnancy forums where the girls say their symptoms disappeared and then came back weeks later.  I wouldn't stress about it if you can.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#13 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 05:51 AM

Yes, my symptoms come and go....just when they've disappeared for a day or so and I'm a COMPLETE paranoid wreck, it hits me again...no vomiting, just that dull queasiess/food aversion thing.  My bbs are pretty much sore every morning & night...they are better during the day.

Now I'm just wondering about this pulling feeling on the left side of my abdomen...any insights on that at 9 weeks would be most welcome.

Shelly

#14 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 07:27 AM

I keep coming back to this thread and find it so reassuring.  I've been so paranoid.  I've only been sick 3 times, and had very periodic nausea through out (I'm 10wk4d).  My first preg, I had MS from wk8-wk13.  2nd preg - MS from wk6-wk33.  I've never miscarried, but I've been hyper alert for any sign - I'm pretty sure I'm driving DH crazy.  That being said, I'm still exhausted, still wanting sugar like crazy, and I'm still gaining weight - luckily just in the belly.  Thank you ladies for sharing in the first trimester paranoia - it definitely helps knowing that other mamas are going through this.

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

#15 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 AM

My symptoms have come and gone as well, which has worried me with a history of miscarriage. Morning sickness has been there for days, then gone for a week, then back with a vengence. My breasts really hurt in the beginning, but haven't lately, then started up again the other day. Fatigue has come and gone as well. I think it's normal. I saw my midwife on Thursday last week and she did a quick scan of the baby... we saw him/her swimmin' around in there! Very comforting to see. But definitely nerve racking. I can't wait until the first trimester is over. I'm 11.5 weeks. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#16 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 PM

More ebbing and flowing of symptoms for me. I got really hit by the nausea bus today after being 90% nausea free the last 2 days. I could barely function. Yay sticky baby!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#17 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one with coming/going symptoms! 

@Buggysmom, I often have a pulling sensation on my right side. I've just chalked it up to my uterus continuing to grow and stretch the ligaments that hold it in place. 9 weeks sounds like an appropriate time to feel that. 

@Zakdat, MS from 6-33 weeks?? That sounds positively miserable :( I'm glad that this one is treating you a little better!

@Mamanoish, isn't it such a good feeling to be nearly "out of the woods?" Having had a miscarriage, I totally understand your paranoia. I'm glad to hear that your babe is looking good!

@Rite of Passage, the nausea bus is no bueno. Especially when you've been feeling good--it's easy to forget what a bummer feeling crappy is. 

My morning sickness and fatigue came back with a vengeance the day after I posted this thread, haha! And right now I'm typing this as dinner from several hours ago uncomfortably sits in my stomach like a big rock. Ugh. For me, m/s tends to be the worst at night, and then I have a hard time going to sleep because I feel so sick and dizzy, especially when I lay down. Yucky. I haven't yet thrown up, but often feel like I would feel so much better if I did :( 

I also am afraid to take my multivitamin anymore because it makes me feel soooooooooooo rotten. It's a one-a-day prenatal, and is the same one I've been taking for the past 5 years, but all of the sudden during this pregnancy, it's making me feel so sick. Anyone have suggestions for a prenatal that is gentle on the stomach?

#18 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 PM

Does your prenatal have ferrous sulfate (I think?) for iron?  That oftentimes causes yuckiness in moms.  You can try taking your pill at night, or else get a prenatal with another form of iron that is more easy to digest (can't remember the name right now).

I was getting nervous because morning sickness (all day nausea) seemed to have gone. But, my boobs just keep getting sorer by the day, which I don't remember from last time.  Also, I seem to have swapped morning sickness to smell sensitivity.  I am staying with my mom for the summer, and she is making yummy food.  TOo bad my tummy doesn't seem to think so.  I have to hold my nose when i eat her food or I gag.  She has also been eating salad with garlic ranch dressing.  I have to literally plug my nose or the smell is so sickening I might hurl.  It's bad.  She is trying hard not to be offended, LOL.  She is touchy when it comes to food/cooking.

#19 of 20 Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 AM

whoo!  My m/s is back again as well.  The past two days have been truly awful, total unrelenting nausea, even when I wake up in the middle of the night, etc...  I never throw up-- like maybe have only thrown up 5 times in my whole life-- but I keep wishing I would in the hopes it might make me better for few minutes.  Careful what you wish for, huh?   have noticed that exercising actually helps... maybe I'll manage it today though at the moment, that makes the bile rise in my throat.  Ugh.

Anyway, I meant to answer MamaShannon's question about vitamins- not complain!- I've been taking Rainbow Light one-a-day prenatal and I find it is MUCH easier on my stomach than most other vitamins.  With DD, I had to stop taking my vitamin for weeks, this time I've only missed a few and in general I don't feel like it increases the nausea as long as I don't take it on an empty stomach (I can't ever take vitamins on an empty stomach). 

Ozzyemm, that is awful about all the stinky food!

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#20 of 20 Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 AM

MamaShannon, I am on Citranatal Harmony prenatals (Rx).  They have been pretty easy on the tummy so far.  Luckily they are covered by insurance as I would not spend $60 otherwise.

Shelly

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page