let's talk placentas! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Rin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I 'm very intrerested in placenta encapsulation this time around. I casually mentioned it on facebook to some friends, and it started a really interesting conversation.  I ended up turning it into a blog post, and here it is if you're interested in reading it. :)

http://owenanderinyoung.blogspot.com/2011/08/placenta-fun.html 

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#32 of 41 Old 08-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Rin

I think I'm going to share this thread on FB because you guys have more experience and knowledge thtan I do.....

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#33 of 41 Old 08-26-2011, 05:15 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about consuming in some form. I don't know whether I have someone who can encapsulate so I"ll definitely be looking for that.

We planted DD's placenta in the ground underneath a cherry tree. My father passed away when she was just three months old, so we actually mixed in his ashes, as well. Her placenta was frozen until we planted it, which was after he died.

I would like to plant this baby's placenta, also -- but am thinking about reserving some of it for a smoothie or capsules. More research is required.

#34 of 41 Old 08-26-2011, 08:13 AM

I had a very quick and easy recovery with DS and didn't have any PPD, but I'm more and more curious about encapsulating the placenta this time around just in case (I hear that PPD can be stronger with successive pregnancies?). There was an article in my local paper about a woman who does it here for around $200 so I wouldn't have to do it myself. Hmmmm . . . . .

femalesling.GIF to my DS and belly.gifwith baby #2 (due 2/2012)

#35 of 41 Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 AM

I do encapsulation for other moms, because it should ideally be done in the first couple days and not everyone will feel up to doing it themselves or have a friend/family member willing to help.

BUT for those who think they would like to try it themselves I wrote up a comprehensive guide that you can download as a pdf.  Just know there are photographs :)

http://birthshare.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/free-placenta-encapsulation-guide/

If you do end up using it, please let me know how it worked out for you!

#36 of 41 Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 AM

I think I have decided to not doing anything with my placenta.  I want to see it, admire it, and I will appreciate the work that it has done for my family... but I do not feel an urge to consume it, and I don't have a garden to plant it in...   (I do love the tree planting idea).   

I feel good about this, but I love hearing all your plans! 

And who knows, maybe with Baby #2 I will do something different!

#37 of 41 Old 09-01-2011, 05:18 PM

There was an interesting article about placentas in NY Magazine recently (http://nymag.com/news/features/placenta-2011-8/). Our plan is to plant a beautiful flowering tree over the placenta in my family's garden. I can understand why people eat them since pretty much every mammal does this for the nutrition, but it just doesn't appeal to me though I love the idea of honoring it in some way.

#38 of 41 Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 AM

I like the idea of planting it under a tree... but I can't really figure out what to do with it until the ground thaws and it's hard to imagine having the time for serious gardening next Spring! 

With consumption, I don't know.  I'm having a vegetarian issue.  I've been a vegetarian for 20 years and I just can't get my head around the idea of consuming any sort of flesh.  I know that it's not at all the same as eating animal flesh as there is no violence or cruelty done... in fact, it seems to me that the ethical thing would be to consume it (or at least plant it) but I just can't imagine knowingly consuming flesh... even my own.  Over the past 20 years I've gotten to a place where animal flesh does not seem like food.  I'm someone who is never tempted to eat meat under any circumstances... it's not hard to be a vegetarian for me, and it never was.  Somehow, eating the placenta (in smoothies or encapsulated) just doesn't seem vegetarian.  At the same time, I hate to see it go to waste.

I really don't mean for this to sound judging to non-vegetarians or vegetarians who have a different interpretation... just trying to work through my own emotional ambivalence.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#39 of 41 Old 09-02-2011, 09:28 AM

I've been vegetarian for 10 years the way I see it: this organ's purpose was to give life. I feel I honor myself, my baby, and my pregnancy by allowing the placenta to complete it's life cycle and return to my body as a means of nourishing and refueling my body's systems and thus again my baby's body. The flesh of an animal comes from death, the flesh of a placenta comes from life and that is profound.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#40 of 41 Old 09-02-2011, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post

I've been vegetarian for 10 years the way I see it: this organ's purpose was to give life. I feel I honor myself, my baby, and my pregnancy by allowing the placenta to complete it's life cycle and return to my body as a means of nourishing and refueling my body's systems and thus again my baby's body. The flesh of an animal comes from death, the flesh of a placenta comes from life and that is profound.

Wow. Beautifully said.

Katie, married to my beloved Paddy

Catherine Anne "KJ" born November 10th, 2011

#41 of 41 Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Right of Passage.  I really appreciate it.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page