Hypnobirthing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would like to start a thread to discuss hypnobirthing.  I didn't know anything about hypnobirthing with my son and am wanting to learn more about it for this birth.  Please share your experiences,stories, & suggestions/advice here!

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#2 of 28 Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 AM

I used hypnobirthing with my first baby and liked it so much I got certified to teach it. I love it!  I started my pregnancy expecting a planned c-section and ended up having a home water birth.  Hypnobirthing was a big part of the confidence building that led me to the birth I had.

If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask either here or pm.

#3 of 28 Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM

I did hypnobabies with my last (not the same but still hypnosis for childbirth!) and have already started the hypnobabies program for this baby. I love listening to my pregnancy affirmations.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#4 of 28 Old 07-26-2011, 12:13 PM

I'd like to learn more about this too.  I want to do it-  does your DH have to do it with you?  I'm worried i'll change my whole "language" about birth and then someone will say something "wrong" and it will frustrate me! haha....so much I don't know about it-   does DH or midwife need to be familiar with it??

Mom to DD born 12/2007  and a babyf.gifon the way February 2012

#5 of 28 Old 07-26-2011, 12:28 PM

I don't know if hypnobirthing has it but hypnobabies has the "bubble of peace" and I use it often. When you order their course for self study there is a partner guide, as well as a note to hang on the door, wall, whatever so that anyone coming in will know to use the right words during your birth. It didn't matter to me, as I'm pretty good at tuning things out ;)

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014

#6 of 28 Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 PM

My friend had 2 of her babies using the hypnobirth (Mongon Method) and I have read the book and loved the idea and philosophy behind it. I just registered for me and my husband to take a 4 week class in September and hope to start listening to the CD's soon. I am a regular yogi and I feel it stays with idea of being able to calm and control your mind and use your body and the natural endorphins for what they are suppose to do!!! I'm excited to start working on it...now that (cross your fingers) my MS is starting to subside....prior to I couldn't do much but just get through the day, reading anything about babies was making me want to vomit! Looking forward to discussing more on hypnobirthing!!!!!

#7 of 28 Old 07-26-2011, 01:02 PM

We did and an DH got totally into it, which was good becasue during the birth he was the one guiding me through. Sure we both learned the same things, but I wasn't focusing. He was incredible, actually my old boss (totally stiff engineering CEO) reccommended the classes, I think it helps men feel like they can actually participate in the birth. The book is great because it talks about what is actually happening when you are in labor, which contractions mean what,and what type of breathing is appropriate for which phase. I think it helped my husband be a better coach. I also think it helped me relax  (had DD in 3.5 hours, not bad!!). I am not sure I believe that you are completely hypnotised but it does help you relax, I say now that I don;t remember any pain but it is still schildbirth, there is still pain, it is just how you process it at the moment, and the HB method helps you go someplace else while it is happening. I don't think it would have worked for me at all if DH wasn't so into it -- I am tragically impatient redface.gif

#8 of 28 Old 07-26-2011, 01:23 PM

I did Hypnobirthing with my last birth and had very good results. Was planning on trying hypnobabies this time around. A friend of mine had her baby in February and passed along all of the audio and whatnot to me. I haven't started listening to it yet. I think I would have had better success with hypnobirthing if I had been doing it throughout most of my pregnancy. We picked it up around 32 weeks and attended classes. I have strong and fast labors, so I was a bit shocked and had a hard time releasing tension for the ride to the birth center. But I expect amazing results this time with a home birth. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#9 of 28 Old 07-26-2011, 02:22 PM

I definitely want to learn more about it. I'm not sure about doing classes because I just signed us up for Birthing From Within classes and not sure if I want to do another class series. MY BFW classes are Nov.-Dec. so it might be nice to take something else closer to Feb. From Sonitaw's description of going to another place during contractions, it sounds like hypnobirthing could really work for me since that's how I deal with pain. I have a large tattoo on my right side with a lot of it on my ribs, and I dealt with that pain by ignoring it or putting it out of my mind. My tattoo took 4.5 hours. It's like the pain is over there but I'm choosing to be over here, in my mind - if that makes sense. Very interesting....

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#10 of 28 Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 PM

We did hypnobirthing with our first.  I had almost 50 hours of back labor (and yes, maybe some of the first 30 hours was prodromal labor, but if you're not sleeping more than 2 minutes between contractions then I count that as "real" labor).  Anyway, it was exceptionally long and at times very difficult but I do think the hypnobirthing really helped me for the first, oh, 45 hours or so.  :)  I did sort of lose my sh*t during transition because I really thought it was going to take me another 20 hours to get the baby out, but I never did doubt that she was coming and that we'd be ok.  (And we were!)

I also found hypnobirthing really really helpful for staying relaxed during the last weeks of pregnancy, as well as getting through the initial pain I experienced with breastfeeding.  And I wonder sometimes if DD's awesome temperament may be due to all the warm fuzzy relaxation vibes I tried to send her way in utero.  :)

I don't want to make anyone anxious about having an experience like mine - my birth process really was very unusual and it did actually go really well despite being very challenging.  Although tbh describing it makes me feel a little nervous about doing it again!

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#11 of 28 Old 07-27-2011, 11:52 AM

I used HypnoBabies with DD and it was wonderful! I did end up with a C-section but it wasn't due to any of the "usual" reasons. I even credit HB with my labor being only ten or so hours. If DD hadn't gotten (stuck) and was doing ok, I would have delivered in about 8. All due to HB. I have recommended it to all my friends and plan on using it this time around. We couldn't afford the Hypnobirthing classes so the Hypnobabies home study course was well worth the money.

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#12 of 28 Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM

I looked into it and really liked the Hypnobabies program better. It was more encompassing and informational. At the time we didn't have an instructor where I was so we did the homestudy course. It was a lot of fun for DH and I to do together. I love the tracks they give you to listen to, I used to listen to some at night to put me to sleep:)

It really helped w/BHs and beginning labor, but I had so much back labor that I gave up and didn't even think about it:(

I'm going to do it again and this time actually listen to the birthing tracks during birthing time and have DH be in charge of that. I would really recommend having your doula, DH, or whoever remind you to actually do it while in labor! It's easy to forget!

Despite me forgetting, I do love Hypnobabies, it is a great program:)

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#13 of 28 Old 07-29-2011, 05:24 AM

is there a difference between hypnobirthing and hypnobabies?

#14 of 28 Old 07-29-2011, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Frannie- I was going to ask the same thing?  And it seems to be different versions or styles of Hypnobirthing.  I'm getting confused!

#15 of 28 Old 07-29-2011, 10:31 AM

http://www.birthnaturally.org/hypnobirthing.htm http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.com/comparison_between_hypnoclasses.htm 

#16 of 28 Old 07-29-2011, 12:55 PM

marking that to read later, thank you!!

#17 of 28 Old 07-29-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks RightofPassage!  That link was really helpful!  

I think I am swaying toward Hypnobabies. 

#18 of 28 Old 07-31-2011, 05:58 AM

If I remember correctly, Hypnobabies was founded by a former Hypnobirthing and Bradley instructor. She didn't think either one of the programs were complete, so she developed her own. I really like that about it, it brings in background of others. So it's not just teaching you hypnosis for birthing, it's more all-encompasing. I also like that you can do it at home and the home study isn't that expensive.

One thing to keep in mind if you do go w/hypnobabies is to not start too early b/c they want you to listen to the tracks everyday before birth to really get into it. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be good to go slow in the beginning, though. I'm going to start listening to them as soon as I remember b/c I think the longer time frame of doing it might help me this time around to make it more second nature.

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#19 of 28 Old 07-31-2011, 11:08 AM

I used hypnobabies for #1 and I definitely plan to use it again. It helped a lot to a certain point - getting to 6cm was very manageable - but then I transferred to the birth center and stopped focusing/being able to focus on it. I'm hoping that I can "choose" to keep using it this time around (i just read a good thing on the hypnobabies listserv about "choosing" to use it that has inspired me!) especially if I stay home the whole time. Either way, the CDs were very relaxing, helped me sleep, and were good affirmations in general. I recommend!

#20 of 28 Old 07-31-2011, 12:47 PM

When do you listen to your hynobabies tracks?   Having a 3 year old means I rarely have time to tune her out and try to go into hypnosis-  how do you make it a practical practice?

Mom to DD born 12/2007  and a babyf.gifon the way February 2012

#21 of 28 Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM

I listen as I'm going to bed. It's just as effective if you fall asleep to it :)

#22 of 28 Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 AM

Me too. And goodness knows I need help getting to sleep some nights! 

#23 of 28 Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 PM

Thanks for all the info ladies. I was also wanting to try and use some Hypno techniques this time around. I'm leaning more towards the hypnobabies, if it's something that can be done at home. I have daycare kids all day and my DH works nights so I don't see any spare time for classes.

Happily married since '06 joy.gif SAHM to DS biggrinbounce.gif Asher born April of '08 and DD energy.gifEvangeline born April of '09. Expecting stork-suprise.gif and planning our first h20homebirth.gif in February of 2012.

#24 of 28 Old 08-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Hi everyone-- I''m new here!

Thanks for the info-- I've been considering buying the Hypnobabies system, and think I'll go for it!

#25 of 28 Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM

There is a free track on the Hypnobabies site you can download to give it a shot. I did the program with my first and plan on doing it again with #2. I did most of the tracks before (during?) falling asleep at night and listened to the affirmations while driving to work. I labored for less than 10 hours with #1 and credit that to the HB program.

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#26 of 28 Old 08-19-2011, 05:25 AM

Last time I did both the Hypnobirthing classes with my MW (with the Mongan book) and the Hypnobabies home-study course on my own. I realize now that I NEED to practice, practice, practice on a much more regular basis in order to reap the full benefits! The techniques were wonderful during early labor, but once things got a little harder (labor started Sat. AM and DS was born Tues. AM), it's like everything I had learned went right out the window, and I wish I had listened to the tracks during the whole labor process, not just the beginning. I had pretty intense back labor for most of it, and the tracks and exercises DID help with a lot of the pain, but I need to make sure that I don't forget about listening to them throughout the whole process. I even downloaded the CDs to my ipod, got a waterproof ipod case and special headphones so I could use it in the birthing pool, etc. - but I lost my focus and once that happened, the ipod was left untouched in my suitcase at the hospital. :(   This time I'm determined to be more focused, and I really think birthing at home will help with that immensely. I still use the breathing exercises to calm myself down and help myself fall asleep on nights when my brain seems to be wide awake.

femalesling.GIF to my DS and belly.gifwith baby #2 (due 2/2012)

#27 of 28 Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Hi,

I know this has been asked before on different posts--but I've seem conflicting advice, so i'd love to ask you ladies. 

like several women out there, I have the Hypnobabies Cds but not the workbook.--i have found the order they are used in online. 

I live overseas in a country with notoriously bad mail system so getting the workbook unless I can find a download will not only take money but a lot of coordination (finding someone who is traveling soon etc.)... with that in mind, how important is the workbook? 

A side note: While I will have a doula or midwife (still working on this) they definetly won't speak english  so if there is supposed to be scripted interaction between them and I would either have to translate and teach it to them-- and then since will have I heard it on the CDs in English I don't know that might work or just ignore that part and do it alone.  (I'm not sure this is relevant to the workbook question but it might be.)

#28 of 28 Old 09-10-2011, 06:44 AM

The only thing is they need to call labor, your birthing time, and contractions are pressure waves. Neither term bothers me so it didn't matter. Also there is a lesson in the book about your bubble of peace, an invisible bubble that can be as big as you need, or just right above your skin, it's purpose is to keep all negativity out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page