Second Trimester!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-27-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first trimester was kinda like this:

Lots of nausea
Gained about 3 lbs (well 8, but I lost 5)
Saw the baby on ultrasound.
Nightweaned DD.
Told everyone.
Had food cravings and aversions.
Extreme fatigue.
Felt the first flutters.
Bought the first thing for baby (yellow BG Flip diaper)
Planned the kids' room.

Well, the nausea has been gone for weeks, and the fatigue is finally lifting which has left me to ponder what this next trimester will be like. I only had a baby 16 months ago, but I cant remember what the second trimester is like at all. Its like I blocked it out because it was time when everything changed the most. I remember finding out I was pregnant, telling people, and then BOOM everything after that is all 3rd trimester. SO, Im making a list of what I think the next 12- 14 weeks looks like for me:

Huge burst of energy (paint and decorate kids room, clean out the basement, purge, purge, purge)
Get an appetite.
Start wearing maternity clothes.
Find out the sex of baby (Aug 24)
Start preparing for winter pregnancy (ie. cook lots of yummy stuff for DH while he cuts lots of wood for me)
Wean DD.
Pop out and look really pregnant.
Start battling all of the "you are huge" and "oh my god, are there 2 in there" comments.
Side lying sleeping- bust out ye old body pillow.
Move DD to her own room.
Start physically preparing for labor (kegels, squats, pelvic lifts, ect every day)
Gain 5-10 more lbs.
Paint my belly as a pumpkin for Halloween smile.gif
Really start feeling the baby move.
Waddle.

Thats a lot different than how right now is! Its amazing to think how fast things change in the second trimester. Aside from the stuff I will be doing, the baby will get hair and nails, start sucking and swallowing, form bones and fat, and hear and have visible genitals. Way different than the little tiny thing I saw on my US two weeks ago.

How do you think your second trimester will be? What was your first trimester like? For all of you ladies who have arrived at your second trimester, CONGRATS and WELCOME. joy.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 AM

I love this thread :-)  I'm so with you on the 2nd trimester of each of my previous pregnancies being a complete blur. Here's how my first trimester was!!

Nausea. Lots of nausea. No actual vomiting. But unbearable nausea.

SO MUCH FATIGUE!!
Very odd food aversions. I love mexican food and can't eat it during this pregnancy.

No real appetite

2 lb weight loss

Maternity pants for the last two weeks

Setting up our crib only for DH to say he hates it and wants to buy another irked.gif (which is stupid, because we co-sleep)

Cutting back to 20 hrs of work in office and focusing more on my family

Seeing little babe swimming around on U/S heartbeat.gif

Announcing our pregnancy to everyone

My second trimester plans:

Felt the first flutters yesterday!

Still nauseous. Hopefully STOP being nauseous. 

Still exhausted. Also hoping this comes to an end.

ORGANIZE MY HOUSE!

Finding out the sex! 

If babe is a boy- washing old clothes from DS1&2. Girl- SPEND SPEND SPEND $$$

Brush up my cloth diaper stash

Possibly paint the baby's room

Get a huge belly

Start Hypnobabies home study course. 

Prepare for my favorite times of the year, fall and winter!  

Can't wait to start feeling real kicks and movement and for my boys to feel him/her on the outside

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#3 of 23 Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 AM

woohoo second trimester.  I will be 14 weeks on Saturday.     I am still pretty tired, but not zombie tired.  The nausea is more like constant burping and heartburn now...

#4 of 23 Old 07-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Yay! It feels so good to be past the constant exhaustion and nausea!

Looking forward to: 

Finally hearing the heartbeat (at next weeks appt)

Ultrasound (the first and only, probably at the very end of August)

Finding out the sex

Breaking out the maternity clothes

Maybe doing a little shopping ;)

#5 of 23 Old 08-02-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

At 14 weeks, 3 days I am finally starting to get some energy back !!!! Yea!!!

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 23 Old 08-03-2011, 01:56 AM

me toooo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

At 14 weeks, 3 days I am finally starting to get some energy back !!!! Yea!!!

#7 of 23 Old 08-03-2011, 05:13 AM

Well, this first trimester has been different that my pregnancy with DS.

Loads of Nausea

Hypoglycemic

Complete Heat Intolerance

If About to Throwup, Almost Pass Out

Fatigue

Peeing 2-3x/Night

Difficulty Staying Hydrated

And, I have a couple more weeks until the second trimester starts, but I'm looking forward to:

Watching my Belly Grow (last pregnancy just got wide, this time already have a growing belly)

Feeling Baby Sooner Hopefully (anterior placent with DS so didn't feel him until 23 weeks and barely felt him much)

Finding out the Sex (wish there was a way to do this without an ultrasound but oh well)

Buying a few items if Sprout is a Girl

Confidently Telling People I'm Pregnant

Less Fatigue

Prenatal Yoga

Hopefully Getting my milk supply back for DS with adequate hydration

Getting the house clean again

FUN! It's nice seeing those things in a list. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#8 of 23 Old 08-03-2011, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

First trimester in the summer is never fun. Im so glad ive finally made it to the 2nd trimester. (15 weeks today) Btw, im dropping  in from the January due date  club, but am due right at the end, so i am closer in dates to many of the February mamas.

I like your list. For me its-

-no more horrible nausea!

-start to enjoy  my growing belly, instead of wondering why i am already showing, but really just feeling bloated (as i have been, this is my 3rd, so showing earlier)

-start using  my anti stretch mark cream

-like you, feeling more confident in telling people, not having to keep it a secret

-collecting baby girl stuff if its a girl ( i have 2 boys)

-feeling the confident glow of growing family instead of the constant fear of  something going wrong

-having more energy to  be a better mother to my kids, who have been watching way.too.much.tv. as i lie in bed feeling sick. Every other day though,m i manage to take them out somewhere nice and have fun

-feeling the baby move, yes! I  did feel a fluttering at 11 weeks, and the occasional kick since, but i look forward to feeling the baby more consistently.

Intrigued by your comment on increasing your supply in the 2nd trimester.  I nursed ds1 throughout my last pregnancy. I think my supply dropped most radically in the first trimester, and never recovered until the birth of ds2. Nonetheless, there was enough to keep ds1 going 2-3 times a day.

This time, ds2, is almost completely weaned. I havent noticed a drop in supply because he was nursing only 1-2 times a day before i got pregnant.  He still nurses sometimes.  Are you saying if  you keep hydrated you can keep a supply going? I thought the hormones did everything.

Nice to hear from another nursing mama anyway, and all the best for the rest of your first trimester....

#9 of 23 Old 08-03-2011, 06:03 AM

...and all the best to other mamas! Yay for reaching the 2nd trimester!!!

#10 of 23 Old 08-03-2011, 06:38 AM

Well, within a couple weeks my DS went from nursing 12-18 times a day to now nursing 1-3 times a day. I attribute it to lack of hydration, because he is mostly dry nursing and only occasionally getting some milk. On days I can keep more hydrated, he gets milk but on dehydration days he doesn't get anything so I'm hoping he'll be able to get some milk for a while before the supply dips b/c of hormones again. I would really like to continue to nurse him, especially to help him through the transition into having a sibling as well as through difficult developmental stages. Plus, since my milk has disappeared, I've noticed a chronically runny nose with him so I'd like him to get those immune benefits again. 

Fortunately, he's handled the changes extremely well thus far. It's just been an extreme change in a very short period so I'm mourning that change in relationship too. It's awesome to see him changing just unexpected to see it happen so quickly. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

Intrigued by your comment on increasing your supply in the 2nd trimester.  I nursed ds1 throughout my last pregnancy. I think my supply dropped most radically in the first trimester, and never recovered until the birth of ds2. Nonetheless, there was enough to keep ds1 going 2-3 times a day.

This time, ds2, is almost completely weaned. I havent noticed a drop in supply because he was nursing only 1-2 times a day before i got pregnant.  He still nurses sometimes.  Are you saying if  you keep hydrated you can keep a supply going? I thought the hormones did everything.

Nice to hear from another nursing mama anyway, and all the best for the rest of your first trimester....

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#11 of 23 Old 08-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Odinsmommy, i can relate on the disappointment of seeing your ds suffer the effects of reduced breastfeeding. IME, if you can keep nursing, keep well hydrated,  you will maintain some kind of a supply, but probably not  enough to maintain his original pattern, or even close to it.  Some mothers get such sore nipples they cant nurse anymore, and i was one of the lucky ones that didnt. However, i do think the hormones will reduce your supply no matter what you do. 

In my case, ds1 started at about 8-10 times a day  before pregnancy, reduced to 5ish times by 2nd trimester, and was  down to 2-3  by then end. He maintained that rate for a year or so, gradually reduced from there, and self weaned at 5. (just turned 6 :-) )

I hope you can  get some of your supply back, and the colostrum might help with any more runny noses!

#12 of 23 Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

My DD has pretty much cut back to nursing twice a day. Im sad about it, but I was planning to wean her in October anyway, so I guess its good that shes doing it herself.

SIDS happens. 

#13 of 23 Old 08-05-2011, 12:48 PM

I am so relieved to have a glimmer of hope that all the debilitating motion sickness and exhaustion I've experienced since week 7 seems to be passing.  Oh please, oh please, oh please.  Now at 12 weeks, I only feel sick in bursts instead of continuously... and I can actually get out of bed and do important things.  I would love to have an active, happy, well-feeling 2nd trimester.  My family needs a break from managing the entire household and farm.  

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#14 of 23 Old 08-11-2011, 11:08 AM

... my second trimester might look like:

not sleep every second of the day

actually DTD some with dh blush.gif

get dd to potty learn

find all the baby crap i stuffed randomly in all the different closets of my house

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#15 of 23 Old 08-11-2011, 12:52 PM

My first trimester:
Exhaustion
Stress
Nausea
Vomitting
Food aversions
Fears of telling family
Fears of dealing with doctors for confirmation of pregnancy
Some "mask of pregnancy" issues developed

What I would like my 2nd trimester to look like:
No more food issues
No nausea
Energy
I'd like to have that pregnancy glow
Stress free
Start showing

What it's been like so far:
night sickness
food aversions
a little more energy
mask of pregnancy makes me feel ugly

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#16 of 23 Old 08-11-2011, 01:45 PM

1st Trimester was:

Exhaustion.

Nausea.

Exhaustion.

Eating a lot of salad.

Exhaustion.

Feeling like the whole thing was unreal.

Exhaustion.

2nd Trimester hopes:

The exhaustion is GONE!!!  So exciting!!!   biggrinbounce.gif

I need to eat every 2 hours. 

An actual increase in nausea, especially between 6-9 pm.  It's gotten pretty bad, I'm not happy about it. 

Starting to feel like this is really happening. 

Starting to show!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#17 of 23 Old 08-11-2011, 01:52 PM

I'm glad (and sad for us both) that I'm not the only one with MORE nausea. And those are my witching hours too.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#18 of 23 Old 08-12-2011, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I can remember what my 2nd trimesters were like.  I do know that I never felt pregnant 1st or 2nd trimesters.  This time, sick as a dog super tired, constant peeing and bloating terribly.  I have an aversion to using public restrooms... so this has been a nightmare. 

Hoping to:

Get my energy back

Get my sex drive back... WTH?

Clean my house, I could sew all of you a sweater with the amount of cobwebs I see on my ceiling when I'm laying on my couch.  (high ceilings... too to much effort)

Stop being so mean

Be fun again

Hopefully stop putting chile y limon on everything.  EVERYTHING.  My husband gets grossed out. 

Also I remember losing my milk supply during the beginning of my second trimester.  DH1 was so angry!  She would try and try and then hit my chest and scream.  Broke my heart.  I was not producing enough to even slightly fill her up.  So she only got to 15 months.  Very sad. 

#19 of 23 Old 08-13-2011, 12:44 PM

15 weeks and 2 days for me...still having nausea and fatigue. It is getting a little better but hasn't completely gone away. Nausea is worst for me between about 7 and 10...the later the worse it gets.  Hoping to feel more normal in a week or two!

Happy news for dh...sex drive is returning BUT (warning TMI) he is a night time guy and I am a morning girl so the fatigue and nausea has still trumped the action. HE especially is hoping that changes soon. innocent.gif

I have been out of my "normal" clothes for a good month now and cannot find my box of maternity clothes anywhere! I had my ds#2 about 2 months before moving to the current house so who knows where I put them. They were mostly summer time things anyway so more shopping for me! thumb.gif

We won't be finding out the baby's gender, no US, not "testing" so it should be a fairly quiet second trimester for me....not that I won't ask my acupuncturist what she thinks the gender is, and she has only been wrong once in 10 years!

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#20 of 23 Old 08-13-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I can remember what my 2nd trimesters were like.  I do know that I never felt pregnant 1st or 2nd trimesters.  This time, sick as a dog super tired, constant peeing and bloating terribly.  I have an aversion to using public restrooms... so this has been a nightmare. 

Hoping to:

Get my energy back

Get my sex drive back... WTH?

Clean my house, I could sew all of you a sweater with the amount of cobwebs I see on my ceiling when I'm laying on my couch.  (high ceilings... too to much effort)

Stop being so mean

Be fun again

Hopefully stop putting chile y limon on everything.  EVERYTHING.  My husband gets grossed out. 

Also I remember losing my milk supply during the beginning of my second trimester.  DH1 was so angry!  She would try and try and then hit my chest and scream.  Broke my heart.  I was not producing enough to even slightly fill her up.  So she only got to 15 months.  Very sad. 

I know this is a typo but it made me laugh lol.gif

NourishCreate likes this.

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#21 of 23 Old 08-14-2011, 05:49 PM

I'm almost in 2nd trimester- (13 w 5 d)

1st trimester was a little like this:

Knew PG right away, knew ovulation date

Had light intermittent spotting until ~ week 6 =stress and lots of faith!

Had hcg 2 day blood test, and all was high and well!

Extreme fatigue

Food made me feel energy, but I had no energy to make food (what a vicious cycle!)

No nausea or vomiting (hooray!)

Felt weak and tired unless I ate all the time

Not really any food aversions,  except to broccoli- which was the same as #1  but not as severe as it was with #1 

Food always sounded good, just no energy to make it!

Went to yoga at 10 weeks, and it helped me snap out of it and feel better

Since 10 weeks, energy has slowly been returning,  naps still required though!

HEARD THE HEARTBEAT!  (week 10) Found it right away, and I felt calm, and happy and relieved.

Heart the heartbeat again at week 12-  healthy, happy, all is well pregnancy- no more worries! (ha!)
Started telling those besides family about pg

For 2nd trimester

Hope to go to yoga again once a week- and I *really* want to be more active

Hoping for motivation for organize the house- one part at a time.

Do more activities with DD- less tv!

Keep napping almost everyday.

Eat lots of nourishing foods!

Announce pg to rest of friends/ (facebook I suppose- feels so awkward though!)

Do something FUN!  

Find out gender and clean out/sort DD's old baby clothes

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015
#22 of 23 Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 PM

First pregnancy...First trimester......it was the bad dream that you think you keep waking up from....but never do!

hmm....so glad to be rid of: never ending mind numbing all day nausea, constipation (I know this is TMI, but I swear I popped out a tennis ball one day-but hey at least I'm gonna sorta know what the real deal will feel like?!?) that turned into the Big D, and general crankiness!

What I'm hoping for during the 2nd trimester:

-ENERGY

-an appetite, although I never really stopped eating I just started eating less healthy

-returning to my work out routine

-better sleep

-hopefully stop crying at the drop of a hat

SO WOOHOO TO ALL OF US FOR MAKING IT THROUGH THE 1st TRIMESTER!

USAF wife knit.gif to DH Chris (10/9/10) hug2.gif, Momma to DS (2/12) babyf.gifintactlact.gif, and expecting another surprise 6/2013 joy.gif

#23 of 23 Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 AM

At 13w3d, I'm putting myself in the second trimester!

My first trimester:

knew at 3 weeks because of implantation bleeding, got BFP at 10dpo so all was much earlier than with dd. 

(my LMP, my ovulation date and my measurement all line up!)

lots of nausea but no vomiting

profound exhaustion - falling asleep while putting DD to bed each night for weeks

very picky eating but basically eating all the time

exercised routinely until 10 weeks and then lost ALL momentum

spotting at week 6 and 7.5, had an early ultrasound and saw the hb

thrilled with my midwife practice

feeling totally confident about VBAC

told DD, family and work all after the NT screening

couldn't button shorts at 8 weeks, checked on pants at 13 weeks and can't even zipper them

Second trimester:

maternity clothes from the start

nausea has passed

exhaustion might be better but it brought it's friend insomnia to the party

plans... 

-organize closets and find baby clothes, create work appropriate maternity wardrobe, hire doula, design scrap quilt and ask friends and family for material, work on persuading DD to share her room, get a lot of work done so I can coast during maternity leave, exercise 5 days a week

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).

Tags
The Baby Name Wizard A Magical Method For Finding The Perfect Name For Your Baby , Top Ten Tips For Choosing A Babys Name

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page