12 weeks and ready for maternity clothes?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 12 weeks along, and I feel HUGE! I haven't even gained any weight, but my belly is definitely sticking out from the morning when I wake up, and by the end of the day I look like I'm six months and my belly starts itching. I know the latter expansion is due to bloating - but could I really be showing this early?? My belly feels big and round and hard, and my clothes are already too tight! 

I feel like it's so early, but we are taking a trip to the maternity store tomorrow because everything I have is too small, unless it's a stretchy dress! 

Is anyone else already in maternity clothes already? How far along are you?

#2 of 39 Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 PM

12 1/2 weeks and well--not that my wait was all cute and tiny before but it has definitely gotten thicker! I definitely have a nice little pooch and yes it gets bigger as the day goes on!  Thankfully I wear drawstring scrubs to work everyday, and only get depressed with how my jeans fit on the weekends, or rather I should say how they aren't fitting!  

I've started looking for blouses that could take me through my pregnancy, cuz I'm sure I have visions of grandeur that my belly won't get THAT big! hahaha  Also, started looking on ebay for maternity jeans as I really like Joe's jeans, but don't really like pea in a pod prices!  

Good luck with your shopping excursion!

USAF wife knit.gif to DH Chris (10/9/10) hug2.gif, Momma to DS (2/12) babyf.gifintactlact.gif, and expecting another surprise 6/2013 joy.gif

#3 of 39 Old 07-28-2011, 05:51 AM

today i am wearing full on maternity pants with a panel.  i am not even 12 weeks yet. 

stretchy non maternity skirts will work too but i wasn't feeling shaving my legs this morning. 

i find that long tank tops work pretty well for a long time, i end up having to wear cardigans to work anyways, but it's a good post partum look too.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#4 of 39 Old 07-28-2011, 06:08 AM

I'm already in maternity pants for the last two weeks, and I'm 13 weeks. I can squeeze into regular clothes but it's just not comfortable. I don't like pressure on my bump. I wear scrubs to work most days which are awesome and comfy, but yesterday I had to look important and squeezed into my dress pants. By the end of the day I couldn't WAIT to get out of them. I have two pairs of maternity jeans and a few comfy skirts. I announced my pregnancy last week because it was quite obvious. redface.gif

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#5 of 39 Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 AM

14 weeks (almost) and no maternity clothes yet, but I DO prefer my pajama pants over anything else :)   But for work and stuff I still fit in my skinny jeans.  I just feel chubby really.  

#6 of 39 Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 AM

I'm definitely more poofy by the end of the day than at the beginning.  Happily, I tend to go for hippy loose summer dresses. Don't know what's going to happen in a month when I start showing and have to get back into pants at the same time!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#7 of 39 Old 07-28-2011, 01:30 PM

I just had to get maternity clothes too. I have been wearing nothing but sundresses that accomodate the HUGE bump for over 2 weeks. Luckily, I posted on freecycle that I was looking for stuff(because I lost so much during the last 2 pregnancies that nothing fits anymore) and I found a lovely lady who has 6 kiddos and says that she is giving me her stuff to dissuade from having anymore..lol!

So she ended up gifting me with 8 brand new outfits, some capris and short sleeve and some jeans and long sleeve/sweaters, so I am good for the entire pregnancy now! YEAH! And it fit like a glove and was just my style too!

I LOVE having a cute bump, can't wait for it to get big enough for people to know with absolute certainty that I am pregnant and not just fat..lol. With my last two, it was very late in the pregnancy when I was visibly preggo because I was a larger girl but now, it's much easier to discern, so I am excited for the cuteness(or the sad head shaking when they realize this is #3 like perhaps I am insane..sigh)

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#8 of 39 Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 PM

I'm 13w2d and I only have one regular pair of pants that still fit, and they are getting uncomfortable when I sit down.  I have a pair of maternity jeans now that I wear sometimes.  I'm a little surprised that I needed to start transitioning my wardrobe so soon, since everything I seem to read says that first time moms typically don't need maternity wear this early.  I definitely have a bit of a belly that pokes out low down.  I haven't gained any weight yet but it sure looks like I have!  It looks more like a beer gut than a baby belly though. 

#9 of 39 Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 PM

I am wearing maternity tank tops from the maternity section at target. You know, the really long ones that have the gathered sides?

Ive been wearing them since I got pregnant with DD, and Ive even bought a couple when I wasnt pregnant at all. bag.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 39 Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 PM

I am still at my mom's ( leaving Tuesday! :)) and today I tried on a flowy shirt.  At least, it was flowy when I packed it!!  My tummy has definitely thickened.  I still stand at about 3-5 pounds lost, but the tum is pooching a bit.  Wow, I am almost convinced I am preggo ;)

#11 of 39 Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Me!  I'm 13 1/2 weeks and am now wearing almost all maternity clothes at least for bottoms (capris, skirts, jeans).  This is my 2nd pg and I definitely have a belly and my regular pants make my morning sickness worse - when I'm feeling bloated and nauseaus I can't stand to have something tight around my stomach.  I still have a few regular bottoms that I wear but I wear them with a maternity band so i can keep them unbottoned :)

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#12 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 08:26 AM

i am 13 weeks and 2 days and i have been wearing maternity clothes since 8 weeks. all of my blue jeans are to small for me, most of my shorts are to. i wasnt even really showing at 8 weeks but my clothes werent fitting.

#13 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 12:17 PM

I started wearing maternity pants around eight weeks because the button of my normal jeans pushing into my stomach made the morning sickness ten times worse.  I'm still doing fine with my non-maternity tops that are longer, so hopefully those will last for a while.

#14 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 PM

I've been walking around with my pants unbutton since 8 weeks. I seriously need to get maternity clothes. I feel huge at 13 weeks! I want to unzip my pants now! People rave about the bella band that holds your pants up unzipped, but I only have 2 pair of pants that would work with that. All my other pants are too tight in the thighs.

What's everyone's favourite stores and brands of maternity clothes?

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#15 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 03:02 PM

I'm loving Gap.  It seems like their maternity sizes are exactly the same as their normal sizes for me, so I've been buying last year's styles on eBay for cheap.  They also have some long tank tops in the normal section right now that I grabbed a bunch of... I think they'll be handy for a while.

#16 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 05:29 PM

I am not in any maternity pants yet, but I will be doing the unbuttoned thing here shortly. Hopefully that will get me to 20 weeks. I even bought one of those waist extender things, so, I don't have to use a hair tie this time. :)

Hopefully it will work. I think I can get away with this because, since I am in Florida, I haven't worn pants in months. So, I don't have to worry about anything being too tight on my thighs. I've also been wearing skirts with stretchy waists.

As for maternity clothes, I really lucked out last time. I actually found pants in the normal section at Nordstrom that had fold down waist bands just like maternity pants. That is where I got my skirts, too. It was weird, I don't know if they were trying some "yoga pant" thing, cause I couldn't believe they were there. And they were jeans and pants. Plus, with all the crazy, long shirts out there, half the time, I don't even have to buy specifically maternity shirts. And I am almost 5' 11", so, if they can cover my torso fully pregnant, they are long.

So, look everywhere just in case.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#17 of 39 Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 AM

my gosh, i am not even 13 weeks yet but have now moved on into maternity shirts.  SHIRTS!  yikes2.gif  dd was a ten pounder.  what kind of gigantic baby am i growing in there?????

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#18 of 39 Old 08-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Ha ha, I quit buttoning my very loose fitting favorite pants at 7 weeks.  No one would guess I'm not 4 or 5 months along...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#19 of 39 Old 08-04-2011, 02:01 PM

I am 14w2d now and I feel HUGE already.  My baggier tops are no longer baggy!  Everyone in my family (and in DPs family) has had large babies so I think I am doomed.  This weekend I will be shopping for more maternity clothes, because my non maternity pants no longer fit.

#20 of 39 Old 08-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Am very glad for Kohls clearance rack! And for the nice mammas who donate their Motherhood, Gap, Mimi, Old Navy, Liz Clairborne maternity duds to Goodwill. (Where I buy for 4.99/ pants and shirts) Hooray! I'm comfy!  Salvation Army has half off days too. I will check their stock on Wed.

#21 of 39 Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 AM

Popped the buttons off of two pairs of pants at week 10.  Bought a ton of stuff for not a lot at the local maternity outlet mall.

#22 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 12:00 PM

We'll  at 12w6 days  I'm sitting right now with my "fat" capri pants unbuttoned.  lol.   It's just not comfortable to have waistbands at all!   I've had to keep up on laundry because I only have a select few pairs of capris that are comfortable. I can still wear my regular pants/shorts, but it's not comfortable on the waistband at all.

I'll have to look into those bands....what are they called?

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015
#23 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM

NourishCreate, I bought a couple of "bella bands" last pregnancy and they were great! I didn't buy a single pair of maternity jeans--I just used the bella band. Now admittedly, maternity pants would have been easier and probably a bit more comfortable during the third trimester, but by then I had been on bed rest for so long that more clothes were really not a good investment for me... But I'd say the band is great for that "in between" period! 

I'm still fitting into my regular clothes at 11 weeks, but it is certainly getting more uncomfortable. I imagine I'll be pulling out my old maternity clothes within the next few weeks and will start picking up new items as I need them. I need to find some stuff for cheep!!

Wife to my heartbeat.gifDHheartbeat.gif since 2002, and mama to my AMAZING little girls (2/2009 & 3/2012), a sweet little angel1.gif in heaven (3/2008) and hoping for another healthybabyf.gif 1/20/2015!    
#24 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I made my own bella band - very easy and cheap!  Just get a tank top that is one size smaller than you usually wear (so that it will be snug.)  Cut the top off so you have a band about 8-10 inches long.

If you can sew, turn the end over and sew.  If not, just leave it - knits don't really fray.

To wear it, put it on inside out with the cut end facing down and the bottom end facing up.  Tuck the bottom  (cut end) into your pants, leaving your pants unzipped/unbottoned.  Fold the top of the band down over your pants so that it covers the whole zipper. 

If it shows beneath your shirt, it just looks like you've layered a tank top under your shirt. 

With my dd, I lived in Tanzania until I was 24 weeks pregnant and my homemade bella band saved me! I didn't really have access to maternity clothes.

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#25 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 06:37 PM

Sigh.  I've gained at least 4 pants sizes... next stop, I get to start wearing my hubbys pants.  Loving my Motherhood sport stretch pants though...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#26 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 PM

Great idea Bluedaisy!

Wife to my heartbeat.gifDHheartbeat.gif since 2002, and mama to my AMAZING little girls (2/2009 & 3/2012), a sweet little angel1.gif in heaven (3/2008) and hoping for another healthybabyf.gif 1/20/2015!    
#27 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 09:33 PM

I broke down and ordered some maternity pants, leggings, and 2 tops from Old Navy yesterday that were on sale and then I got an extra 20 or 40 percent off. Here's hoping they work out! I'm so sick of wearing the same 2 pairs of jeans!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#28 of 39 Old 08-10-2011, 03:53 AM

I am wearing my maternity capris today!  Not really necessary but as they are cropped and slim they look fab with my heels that I am wearing :)   I cant believe these are maternity - they fit well and are slimming!  (they are under the belly)

#29 of 39 Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 AM

My jeans are still fitting, but my shirts are getting too short. I went to Target yesterday and bought some more maternity tops (i like the sinched sides), and two new bras. My boobs are smaller because Ive lost milk.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#30 of 39 Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 AM

I bought a few cheap tshirts in a size up to last me until I need actual maternity tops.  Admittedly they aren't very flattering and are kind of adding to the whole "she looks like she's been packing on a lot of weight" look I have going on right now.  I was hoping I would be one of those girls who just suddenly developed a cute baby bump, but instead I just look like I have a flabby beer gut.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page