Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   February 2012 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16962-february-2012/)
-   -   Any Mommies working out? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16962-february-2012/1323573-any-mommies-working-out.html)

Imakcerka 07-29-2011 06:26 AM

I have decided that I will work out in any safe means possible until the day I push this thing out.  I gained 50lbs per baby the last two times and I felt terrible.  Even worse when I popped out 6lb babies. 

The funny thing is I used to be a Personal Trainer.  Ha!  Me showing up to tell you how to stay fit while I'm downing a family bag of cheetos.  Anyway, I'll be walking 2 to 4 miles a day but that's it for now.  I know a lot of girls who still run and lift weights.  I just don't feel like my bladder can handle all that. 

Anyone else still working out?

Ramzubo 07-29-2011 07:17 AM

I've been lifting small weights and doing resistant bands while sitting down. I need to build some arm muscles for lifting LO!

I'm also doing prenatal yoga and some very easy bike rides. When I'm bigger I'll definitely be hitting the pool, if for nothing more than to float around. I feel like crap when I'm not being active so I'm trying to do more walking and light exercise.

Imakcerka 07-29-2011 08:04 AM

Yeah it's the feeling terrible that I'm trying to combat.  I've considered adopting bands. 

babies-n-bloom 07-29-2011 10:58 AM

I was doing pilates two times a week with a great trainer (just LOVE her!), but haven't been the past two weeks.  I too have been combatting the nausea.  I am definitely hoping to go back next week.  I miss it, and I can feel the difference in my body when I don't work out....eeeeeeeeeek.

FrannieM 08-01-2011 05:11 AM

I am working out a lot now that 1st tri is over!  I do weight lifting, old school gym boxing, prenatal yoga, long walks, and I want to take up swimming also.   I have a 10 mile race in September that I will do but take it easy :)    My muscles are really sore today, I am feeling great!!

Imakcerka 08-01-2011 11:28 AM

My neighbor is three weeks ahead of me and wants to work out with me but holy slow.  It's not a work out with her.  I had to tell her that for it's social and I'm not getting anything out of it.  I also talked her out of running since she wasn't doing anything before she got pregnant.  I'm starting to think she's working with a dim light bulb.

I think I'm going to try prenatal yoga and throw out the neighborhood walks.  I love speed walking but the neighbor is dragging me down.  She can't keep up and whines about me needing to slow down for her... I even tried to sneak out the other day and she had her husband drop her off to catch up with me. 

FrannieM 08-02-2011 03:12 AM

Well, it sounds like she is NOT helpful for working out, so I would drop that expectation and put your sweat efforts elsewhere!  But having a mama friend nearby does seem like a bonus and might be worth a weekly walk as an investment in a friendship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

My neighbor is three weeks ahead of me and wants to work out with me but holy slow.  It's not a work out with her.  I had to tell her that for it's social and I'm not getting anything out of it.  I also talked her out of running since she wasn't doing anything before she got pregnant.  I'm starting to think she's working with a dim light bulb.

I think I'm going to try prenatal yoga and throw out the neighborhood walks.  I love speed walking but the neighbor is dragging me down.  She can't keep up and whines about me needing to slow down for her... I even tried to sneak out the other day and she had her husband drop her off to catch up with me. 

skerries 08-02-2011 12:26 PM

I'm starting to get back into exercise this week after taking the past six weeks off due to extreme fatigue and nausea.  I use a heart rate monitor and it's so hard to keep my heart rate down below 140 on my favorite elliptical.  I think I'm going to try walking on a treadmill instead (it's too hot to go outside and I live downtown in a city that I don't particularly want to walk around alone) and maybe go to a nearby prenatal yoga class tomorrow (but I'm super shy and hate going to something like that for the first time).

FrannieM 08-02-2011 12:40 PM

you know, skerries, i think that heartrate below 140 thing was debunked in 2000... all the current research I read said that that number was too pulled out of a hat - there is no one size solution for all pregnant women!  Studies have also showed that women naturally adjust their physical exercise when they are pregnant.    

I exercise frequently, usually around 160 or slightly over as my AHR throughout the workout! 

skerries 08-02-2011 12:42 PM

That's good to know!  I'm thinking that as long as I can talk comfortably, the baby is probably doing okay.  I barely felt like I'd worked out keeping it that low (my resting heart rate has been high since I became pregnant, so it didn't even have far to go to get up to 140).

mrscookie 08-02-2011 02:33 PM

I'm really trying to get back on the wagon in terms of working out. I have been much more active this year. i always walk a lot because I don't drive and I walk to and from work every day and to the farmer's market and grocery store on weekends, but an hour of walking here and there is not really a workout although it's better than nothing. For a while I had been running this year, but later I just got myself an exercise machine for my home, to burn more calories in less time and not be running around outside late at night after work / putting child to bed. The last 4-6 weeks, that machine has not seen a lot of use, but I'm trying to get started again and am happy to just do 2 days on / 1 day off (more rest days than I used to take). That's a lot better than nothing. I'm feeling really icky in my body these days, so I hope this will help whip me back into shape. 1st trimester nausea was not good for my eating habits and I'm kind of a blimp at the moment.  

Imakcerka 08-02-2011 07:53 PM

You're right Frannie, I think I'll keep the once a week and just deal with the slow for the friendship. 

Imakcerka 08-03-2011 06:31 AM

Honestly for those of us working out, how good do you feel afterwards?  Other than tired and sore are you feeling mentally and physically better? 

babies-n-bloom 08-03-2011 06:44 AM

Physically better-absolutely and sometimes it keeps my nausea at bay for a few hours!  I have noticed that I have to take more frequent breaks as I get tired quicker. Mentally better, sometimes-it sure feels like a victory that I make it through without vomitting, but hard to get motivated.  biggrinbounce.gif

skerries 08-03-2011 09:35 AM

I tend to sleep better, although I've noticed that the exercise wears me out a lot more now (instead of energizing me like it did previously).  Mentally, I feel accomplished and love the endorphins, but it takes me forever to actually get motivated to do it.

FrannieM 08-03-2011 09:57 AM

SOOOO good!  Sometimes tired, but I love that, and I love my sore muscles.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Honestly for those of us working out, how good do you feel afterwards?  Other than tired and sore are you feeling mentally and physically better? 

Ramzubo 08-03-2011 10:04 AM

Physically I feel much better and that feeling lasts a good long while. Mentally I feel good right after, but don't really notice any long term benefits. I think the yoga is helpfully for calming/meditation purposes and makes me feel more relaxed after doing a session.

TeamGR 08-03-2011 10:40 AM

Now that my exhaustion has lifted (hooray! I'm like a whole new woman), I'm very excited to get back into 3x/week fast walking, some weights and some yoga.  Last night I walked for a while and it finally felt good, like I had moved some endorphins around, rather than like I just finished a marathon and needed to sleep for 3 more days. Hoping I keep going as I keep going!

waikukumama 08-03-2011 08:57 PM

Hello lovely fit mommas!

I am due around Feb 20, this is my second pregnancy.  I'm ol' lady 37 years old now, for my previous pregnancy I was a sprightly 29.  I was working full time last pregnancy, and this time around I am totally relishing NOT doing so.  The primary bonus is that I can do as much exercise as I'd like to!  I am doing everything I was doing before I got preggers: weights, spinning, yoga, even dirtly old step aerobics!  (I know, very 80's of me ...) 

Even on the days where I've started out by chundering in the sink, I feel infinitely better if I can do some exercise: sometimes during my workout it's the only time I don't feel nauseous. 

Saw my midwife on Tuesday, she was reminding me that "they don't call it labour for nothing", and that it's worth training for birthing - last time I trained for labour like it was a marathon ... did tons of pregnancy yoga (squats, other assorted hip openers) and trained my head for the event also (hypbirth cds, visualisation etc) and had a wicked labour.

So good on you girls ... keep on exercising, OK?

Imakcerka 08-04-2011 04:58 AM

I'm just motivated to not gain 50lbs again!  I weighed myself and have not gained much yet.  Just feels like I'm getting wider.  Can't wait for it to cool down more so I can get outside earlier and stay out longer.  I created a route that allows me to pass a house I know ever 5 to 10 minutes just in case my bladder won't hold.  Gotta think of these things!  I carry very very low.  My baby used my bladder as a pillow!

babies-n-bloom 08-10-2011 07:28 PM

OMG.....3 weeks without any form of physical activity sucks! My nausea was just so bad that all I wanted to do was sleep, so I avoided exercise like the plague! But finally feeling a lot better, and I made it through pilates tonight (that's one small step for myself and a huge leap to keeping those lbs at bay)  WEEEEEEEEEE! How's everyone else doing?

Imakcerka 08-11-2011 09:09 AM

I'm moving!  Ok I'm still walking.  I found another walking partner and it's helping.  I feel so much better.  I was able to get out last night before 8pm since it was cool enough. 

1bighappyfamily 08-12-2011 02:00 PM

I've been doing Zumba which I love because I sweat but it just feels like I'm dancing for an hour.  I've only been averaging  about twice a week at most though because I work 12-14 hour shifts as an OB nurse and the day after a long shift...I'm toast.  I've gained about 6 lbs and I'm almost 14 weeks but most of that is from eating carbs to keep the nausea at bay during the 1st trimester.  Hoping that more time to work out and less carbs will keep me on a more even weight gain for this pregnancy.  DH and I are headed out for a walk in a little while which is always nice in late summer! :)

Kaydove 08-13-2011 09:32 AM

I'm starting to walk my dogs everyday for 20-30 mins, with minimal stopping. Today I go to my first prenatal yoga class! I'm going to do prenatal yoga once a week.