Diastasis support during pregnancy-help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-31-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am about 10 weeks in to my 3rd pregnancy and really freaked out by the state of my abdomen.  I think that following the birth of my second child I wound up with a diastasis and I never really fixed that problem before finding myself expecting this time around.  At 10 weeks people already assume that I am 6 months in to this pregnancy and I am so uncomfortable.  I need to exercise and stay active to be ready for the work of childbirth and I am afraid of the baby having too much room and being allowed to fall forward in the abdomen or becoming breech.  I also am freaked out by the thought of how severe this situation will be postpartum seeing as my sister has a diastsis that is so large that she has to use both hands to measure it and has major medical complications including a cantalope sized hernia to go with it. 

So, I am exercising, doing tupler exercises and avoiding strain etc. but I really would like to find a good support something that I can wear to compliment my posture and splint the muscles together.  I am iffy about the tupler splint because my belly is pretty big and when I borrowed my sisters it was so uncomfortable and just would not stay in place.  She recommends using two for larger bellies but that is $$$ and pretty tedious living in South Florida pregnant in July.  Any suggestions?

#2 of 2 Old 08-05-2011, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in the same situation.  I can't recommend a splint at this point - I'm just doing exercises to keep my abs strong.  Have you thought about seeing a physio who might be able to make a couple of recommendations for you?  That's what my midwife suggested, if the exercises weren't being effective.

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page