Pregnancy weight gain/exercise - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-07-2011, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies.

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and I'm worried that I'm gaining too much weight too quickly.   I had some scares early on, but they've been resolved. I was overweight to begin with, so I need to get this situation under control. 5lbs as of Week 10.  Who knows how much damage I did while on vacation this past week!  (We've been on vacation for the last week, and this place has the worst food options - pizza, pasta, fried foods, etc., which has made things worse. We're returning home today, thankfully!) 

Now that the scares are behind me and I have OB's ok to exercise, I'm rejoining my gym. I'm thinking elliptical and/or body sculpting 3x/week, plus hatha yoga 1x/week. How does that sound?

This isn't coming from a place of vanity - I just don't know how my 5'3" frame will carry so much weight if I keep packing it on - and more importantly, the health of the baby and ease of delivery.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Well, I'm 12.5 weeks and had gained 11 last time I checked.  Just make wise choices with the quality of food that goes in,  exercise to the limit that feels comfortable to you, and it will be what it will be.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#3 of 9 Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 AM

I gained a lot of weight in the first trimester because I ate a lot and didn't do much exercise because I was also tired frequently. By my second trimester I was much more active and near the end of my second trimester I actually lost some weight. In terms of exercise, I walk and do yoga. My yoga focuses on poses that strengthen my legs, open my hips, and stretch my back and torso. If you've got access to a pool, I've found that gentle swimming (like breast stroke) to be very nice. As my belly expands it's nice to have an opportunity to lay in the water, belly down. Plus, I love the feeling of lightness. In terms of food, I've been staying away from junk food and eating several smaller meals a day that focus on protein and veggies. I would focus on trying to be healthy. I think everyone gains weight differently during pregnancy, in terms of the amount they gain and when.

mtn.mama likes this.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

#4 of 9 Old 08-07-2011, 01:53 PM

My advice, as a plus sized mom, eat to hunger, drink to thirst, salt to taste, and move your body but not to strain.

You will gain what your body needs for your baby. Avoid junky overly processed foods, make sure what you're enjoying has the nutritional bang for it's "buck." Look at all food in "good, better, best." You like toast and jam every morning? Toast with no sugar added jam is good, toast with a nut butter is better, whole grain toast with nut butter and a piece of fruit would be best. Allow yourself an indulgence, without guilt!

Most of all enjoy your body, enjoy nourishing yourself and your baby.  

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#5 of 9 Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 AM

I'm 14 wks 3 days and I think I've gained around 5 lbs. I didn't do much exercise the first trimester so I'm trying to walk at least 3 days a weeks now. Last night I went to the store and bought hummus chips and vegetables chips because I've been craving salty chips. Also, I'm trying to drink a lot of water. If I start craving something and I'm not hungry I'll try to down some water first.

This will be my 5th child and I've actually gained anywhere from 35 lbs to 50 lbs with my pgs. I don't want to gain the 50 ever again.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#6 of 9 Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 AM

I gained 70 or 80 last time.  It all came off again.  Breastfeeding is magic.  As much as I don't want to weigh that much again, it is a small price to pay.  If it takes my eating that much to absorb enough nutrients to build healthy babies... I'm in.  Pregnancy is NOT the time to stress about weight, present or future.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#7 of 9 Old 08-09-2011, 09:51 AM

I just came back from my 12wk check up and I have gained no weight.  Should I be worried?  I'm thinking that because I was working out (including a lot of weightlifting) before I found out I was pregnant, perhaps I am losing muscle weight and gaining baby weight at the same time, so no change.  My CNM wasn't worried, but everyone else I know has been gaining...... 

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#8 of 9 Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGR View Post

I'm thinking that because I was working out (including a lot of weightlifting) before I found out I was pregnant, perhaps I am losing muscle weight and gaining baby weight at the same time, so no change.  

That seems likely.  And I think there's usually not any concern unless you aren't gaining in the 2nd tri.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#9 of 9 Old 08-10-2011, 06:40 AM

TeamGR - I haven't gained anything yet but I'm grateful as I'm trying to gain only 15 lbs this time. 

LadyMag- I gained 60 lbs (I think) with my first pregnancy and I started out pretty heavy.  I lost most of it within the first few months but had 10 lbs lag for over a year.  Despite breastfeeding round the clock.  I think my weight gain combined with my lack of exercise made the pregnancy more stressful and difficult for my body.  I really hated being pregnant last time and was totally stressed all the time.  This time I'm determined to have a more modest weight gain.  I'm not dieting but I've been exercising and trying to be really mindful of what I eat.  As I mentioned above, I'm hoping to gain only 15 lbs - not obsessing about it but also keeping it in mind as a goal.  Last time I used pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted-- it wasn't healthy.  (Cupcakes with buttercream frosting and doritos really need to be occasional foods!)   For exercise, I'm using some prenatal yoga dvds, swimming (laps but gently and varying strokes) and a stepper that I can use and watch tv!  I can share the titles of the yoga dvds if you are interested...

I think if watching what you eat and exercising helps you feel good about yourself then it is absolutely the right thing to do.  But, if you end up worrying, feeling guilty and stressing, you should probably reevaluate.  Good luck!

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page