Food Cravings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-14-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What food cravings have you been having?  I find it odd how different they all can be.

I cannot believe this, but I've been craving the sourest foods-  I cannot get enough of cucumber slices soaked in vinegar with salt ( I had this when I was a little girl with my mom- try it it's good!)     Everyday recently I have been eating this- I think I must be needing super alkaline foods.  I'm also loving beet kvass,  and lots of sea salt.  (And pickles!!)

Also cottage cheese and tomatoes with salt-    I think that my blood volume increasing has been evident by the salty cravings! 

Also drinking lots of ice water!

Let's hear your crazy food cravings.

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015
#2 of 24 Old 08-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have also been craving salt like crazy - I have been eating tons of green olives (mmm...I think i'll go get some now) and really anything with salt.  I don't even like potato chips but when I'm pg they taste sooo good.  I usually have a sweet tooth but in the 1st trimester sweets were not appealing at all.  I'm starting to get my sweet tooth back a little now that i'm into my 2nd tri but I would still much rather have salt

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#3 of 24 Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 PM

Baked potatoes! NOM! Topped with earth balance, salt, pepper, broccoli, cheddar, sour cream (holy dairy eep) and green onions. NOMNOMNOM!

And fried pickles.

And coffee.

And soda.

And french fries.

And mashed potatoes.

And (my unvegetarian unfulfilled craving) Chicken fried steak, biscuts and gravy, hash browns, and fried eggs. All at one please.

And pie. Blueberry preferred.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#4 of 24 Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NourishCreate View Post

What food cravings have you been having? I find it odd how different they all can be.

I cannot believe this, but I've been craving the sourest foods- I cannot get enough of cucumber slices soaked in vinegar with salt ( I had this when I was a little girl with my mom- try it it's good!) Everyday recently I have been eating this- I think I must be needing super alkaline foods. I'm also loving beet kvass, and lots of sea salt. (And pickles!!)

Also cottage cheese and tomatoes with salt- I think that my blood volume increasing has been evident by the salty cravings!

Also drinking lots of ice water!

Let's hear your crazy food cravings.

Wow those cucumbers sound sooo yummy!!! How do you make them??

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#5 of 24 Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 AM

Fresh peas from my parents' garden.  Mmmm!

#6 of 24 Old 08-15-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Give into your cravings for chicken fried steak!  :)   Baked potatoes are a good idea...I should make some!  I heart butter and sour cream (with lots of salt! lol)

And eggs....I've eaten dozens of them already. Choline needs go way up in pg and egg yolks are best source!

For the cucumbers....I just slice them, pour some apple cider vinegar over them, maybe a little water to dilute, let them sit for a few minutes, then poke with a fork, sprinkle salt on it and eat!   I need more cucumbers!

#7 of 24 Old 08-15-2011, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Migas, I want them.  I want all my moms absolutely disgusting cooking as well.  I want fried foods.  I don't eat fried foods.  I want apples to the max and I can't get enough apple juice... which by the way a gallon of apple juice a day can put you on the potty for an hour... for those with trouble.  HA!  Sorry.  But it works.   Also I've been putting chile and lime on everything.  Holy tasty!  Even pickles.  Hot pickles dipped in mustard. 

However I'm not super hungry.  I'm just eating like regular.  Kind of weird.  Hopefully this means I won't gain my 50 lbs of baby again...whistling.gif

#8 of 24 Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 PM

Now I really want pickles and I despise pickles!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#9 of 24 Old 08-15-2011, 03:45 PM

I'm picky about my pickles. I only eat clausens.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#10 of 24 Old 08-15-2011, 04:03 PM

I've never had fried pickles but, boy, does that sound good!

Right of Passage likes this.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#11 of 24 Old 08-15-2011, 06:16 PM

I have been craving nachos with cheese for months.  The round chips with the orange cheese.  So gross!  I have also wanted cheesecake.  YUM.

I love unsweet decaf iced tea. 

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#12 of 24 Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 AM

V8 must be original, drinking about a quart a day at this point and i totally can't stop myself! weird how similar to blood it looks....

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#13 of 24 Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 AM

farmerjess, are you by any chance watching too many episodes of true blood back-to-back? 

i cannot stop fantasizing about beefaroni/goulash (homemade not the super awful boxed kind).  wth is wrong with me? 

and potpie.  chicken potpie. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#14 of 24 Old 08-16-2011, 09:24 AM

Last night at 10:30 or so (basically bed time), I suddenly wanted a thick chocolate brownie so bad I couldn't stand it.  So I made a pan of brownies from scratch and ate a full 1/3 of the pan!  They were delicious, but unfortunately not gooey enough for me. Perhaps I will make some frosting today to eat on top?  Hee!

Otherwise, it's all fresh tomatoes and cucumbers all the time.  I could eat boatloads!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#15 of 24 Old 08-16-2011, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The other day I was looking for something in the grocery store and the boxed macaroni and cheese caught my eye....there was a natural organic kind (not that it really makes it much healthier) and I just HAD to have it.  I actually continued my shopping and ended up going back for it because I couldn't stop thinking about it.  We try hard not to eat processed foods but it was a staple for my family growing up and  I haven't had it in at least 10 years.  So I bought it and cooked half the box but it was actually pretty gross, so at least that is not a craving I will be giving into again :) 

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#16 of 24 Old 08-18-2011, 01:20 PM

i have eaten two full jars of peanut butter this month. 

and we're having beefaroni for supper tonight.  oh my.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#17 of 24 Old 08-19-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

mmmm  Brownies.

I also am craving foods that I grew up around- the "weird" foods my mom always ate.     (Cucumbers in vinegar is one of them)   I just bought a CASE of cottage cheese.  I love it with tomatoes, basil and again lots of SALT (sea salt of course.)

And now that someone mentioned V8-  That's something my mom always had- and now i'm probably going to get some (or try to make some homemade version.)  It sounds good!!

So interesting how we crave the foods of home/childhood, etc....  Maybe bc our mom's ate them pregnant with us?

#18 of 24 Old 08-19-2011, 01:10 PM

When I was at my mom's (from 5-10 weeks) I craved pickles that they sell only at Neighborhood Market.  OMG, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO goood!!!.  I also craved chai tea.  Now, and with my 5 year old, I crave mayo.  Oh, and i craved eggs.  Now, not so much.

I am super sensitive to sugar (was GD with Michael, probably am now, but haven't been tested this preg.) so I can't have any sweets :(.  I have been living on fruit (which doesn't raise my BS) and I just discovered coconut cream pops from my HFS.  YUM!!!! and only 14 g of carb!!!

#19 of 24 Old 08-19-2011, 05:08 PM

Miso soup, chicken fried steak (thanks RoP, no way can I get it within 500 miles of where I live!), biscuits & gravy (also not a New England specialty!!), fried okra, Memphis style barbecue, sushi, homemade bread, peach cobbler, grilled cheese sandwiches, grilled corn on the cob, tomato juice, basically any kind of soup.  

Strangely, no interest in chocolate right now.  And I don't have the super crazy fruit cravings I had with DD.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#20 of 24 Old 08-19-2011, 06:06 PM

All this talk about food cravings reminds me of a story I recently came across on NPR about how food memories/preferences in kids are formed (at least in part) during pregnancy:

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/08/139033757/babys-palate-and-food-memories-shaped-before-birth

My sister is an admitted Indian food addict and ate it throughout pregnancy.  Today all 3 of her kiddos (age 3-7) list Chicken Tikka Masala as one of their favorite foods.  Hard to discern nature vs. nurture in my little anecdote, but my nieces/nephew are among some of the most adventurous eaters under the age of 10 I've known.

On to my cravings...well, now Indian food is at the top of the list (go figure!) but lately I haven't been able to get enough fresh fruit (berries mostly), cottage cheese, and mashed potatoes.  And chocolate although I must admit that was a problem LONG before I got pregnant ;)

#21 of 24 Old 08-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Rin

With DS I only wanted plain rice noodles, nothing on them. Bubble Teas, and terrible proceesed food from my childhood(Tater tot casserole comes to mind)  This time around I want Pickles, but only Bubbies brand, they're brined in salt not vinegar. First trimester I couldn't get enough sweets. This morning I made my husband drive me to the neighborhood juice bar because I NEEDED a green juice (spinach, kale, broccoli, romaine, celery, cucumber). Anything with cucumber and dill (tzatziki on everything!). Nachos. Ramen noodles in a cup, the cheese kind,bag.gif and greek food (hummus tabouleh, stuffed grape leaves, the more garlic the better! Right now as I'm typing, the urge to stuff my face with a loaf of homemade garlic bread is nearly unbearable......

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#22 of 24 Old 08-20-2011, 04:46 AM

I have been eating a lot more peanut butter than usual. No sweet cravings here. I have been wanting burgers, red meat, potatoes, and pizza. I'll make whole wheat pizza at home to feel better about it, but I want pizza literally every single day. Lots of veggies. YUM! And for some reason, veggie subs from publix, xtra banana peppers and jalapenos. 

And again I'm not surprised that we're having a boy... because this is how I've eaten every pregnancy, lol

And I have had a craving for this local gyro place in town. Ommmg, a delicious chicken gyro, all those veggies, fresh garlic, pasta salad with feta. It's $20+ for DH and I to get gyros from there though and we never go out... so I'm hoping he will let me fulfill this craving soon. It's lasted me like a month and a half now, redface.gif

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#23 of 24 Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 AM

I just had to share my day.... 

Around 10:30am, I started getting hungry, as usual.  Normally, I have a cereal bar and wait for lunch, but today, I was not having it. I wanted meat.  This is super unusual for me, I'm practically a vegetarian most of the time.  But, oh no, I would have to have a burger of some sort.

So I spent 30 minutes searching around on the web for the best rated burger place near me, and headed out at 11:30, so I could get there right as it opened. 

Order a buffalo burger with mushrooms, swiss, and mashed potatoes (on the side). 

I almost started crying when I bit into it, I was so happy. 

Meat!  Delicious!  eat.gif

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#24 of 24 Old 08-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Proteins!!! I keep eating legumes, beans and bread! Some days I even forget to eat veggies and fruits!!! I try to be careful with that!

hippie.gifintactlact.giffemalesling.GIF mama to my little baby fairydust.gif(07/27/10) and expecting stork-suprise.gif in february 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page