Aug 14-20 Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I stepped on the scale this morning, only to find out I've gained 17lbs!!!  jaw.gif  I know my belly is quite a bit bigger than usual, but I hadn't thought that it was 17lbs of difference.  I haven't been eating more than usual - maybe a bit more sugary type things, and I've definitely been drinking a lot, but not compared to previous pregnancies.  Usually I gain ~25lbs the whole pregnancy.  I'm only 14 weeks.  Apparently I'm going to have to watch what I'm eating a bit better.

How have you been feeling mamas?

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 AM

We're meeting our new midwife at my 16 week appointment on Thursday after firing our ob for being sketchy.  I can't wait!  It sounds like she has an ultrasound tech right in her office, so I'm wondering if we might get to find out the sex (I'm so not patient about this!) then or at least that means we should be able to get our anatomy ultrasound in before we leave for our honeymoon on the 9th.  I also look forward to getting some ideas for sinus relief, because mine are going nuts right now.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

That's so exciting!  Are you planning on telling everyone after you find out, or do you like to keep it a secret?  We have our anatomy ultrasound on Sep 12 - and we'll definitely share the news after.  My family is yearning for a girl - so far my sister and I have had boys.  Also, I have to admit, a little pink in the house would be nice.  On the other hand, my two little guys play so well together, it would be lovely to see three little boys becoming friends.

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

Old 08-15-2011, 10:54 AM

This is our first and I'll be shocked if my husband isn't texting everyone in the middle of the ultrasound. :)  All of the family predictions so far are for a girl, which is my (slight) preference.  But then, if it's a boy, my SIL is having a boy in a couple of weeks, so clothing the baby would be quite cheap!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:31 PM

I'm dealing with some seriously crappy insomnia.  I'm so exhausted all day, and then I go to bed, fall asleep no problem, but wake up at 1:30am EVERY night for no apparent reason, and then can't get back to sleep.    I haven't had a good nights sleep in over a month now, and it is making me crazy. 

Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrocket View Post

I'm dealing with some seriously crappy insomnia.  I'm so exhausted all day, and then I go to bed, fall asleep no problem, but wake up at 1:30am EVERY night for no apparent reason, and then can't get back to sleep.    I haven't had a good nights sleep in over a month now, and it is making me crazy. 

Ohmygosh, me too! I've been waking up about that time needing to pee, but when I get back in bed, I toss and turn for a good hour or so. SO FRUSTRATING! Especially since usually I'm a great sleeper. I never wake up! I am really hoping this passes soon because it is so miserable.

Wife to my heartbeat.gifDHheartbeat.gif since 2002, and mama to my AMAZING little girls (2/2009 & 3/2012), a sweet little angel1.gif in heaven (3/2008) and hoping for another healthybabyf.gif 1/20/2015!    
Old 08-15-2011, 03:29 PM

I feel you all on the lack of sleep.   And why am I still so queasy??  Every smell is magnified like 1000x....which is awesome when I open my spice cabinet or walk in the woods, not so awesome when feeding dog or changing a poop diaper.  Why can't we get supersonic hearing or infrared vision when we're pregnant?  DD has started imitating my retching sounds, and people keep asking if she has a cough.  eyesroll.gif

And a totally random pregnancy musing - I was reading a novel in which one of the characters has a child with an Mbuti pygmy girl, but no mention was made of the possibility of cephalopelvic disproportion.  I did a little quick reading about the Mbuti out of curiosity, and did find some mention of interbreeding with taller neighbors.  These women are like 4 feet tall....I just can't stop wondering if they have trouble with big babies or not.  So fill me in if you're a pygmy expert, please.  smile.gif

On a happier note - I had some great bbq this weekend and for a few glorious hours I was rockin' a pretty sweet "baby" bump.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Old 08-15-2011, 03:37 PM

Oh, I hear you on the pregnancy insomnia,  For me it's 4 am.  And, I've been tempted every night around 4 am to log on here and start a thread about insomnia.  Unfortunately, if I move, DD wakes up and then I never get to go back to sleep.  At least I'm getting to read some novels this way!  It's really frustrating though as I used to have insomnia before DD and then it was awful during my pregnancy with her but I've been so exhausted since then that it had basically gone away during the past 3 years.  Now that I'm in more need of sleep than ever, the insomnia is back. 

Wishing us all sweet dreams. 

Zakdat - sorry to hear about the big weight gain. I've been afraid to step on the scale the past 10 days, but I'm afraid I may have a big gain once I get up my courage.  My belly is really sticking out!

Blueheron- sorry you are still feeling quesy.  Here's hoping it clears up soon. 

Yay, skerries, on getting to find out the sex soon and hopefully finding a great midwife.  Keep us posted.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 08-15-2011, 04:08 PM

Another one who wakes up at 4am and can't go back to sleep. I wake up to pee then eat and can't go back to sleep because my DH is snoring so at some point I move to the couch. I thought I had left this insomnia behind in the first trimester since I had a couple weeks of relief and normal sleep, but last night I was wide awake at 4am. We should so start a 4am chat thread. :)

blueheron - I also occasionally have a huge temporary bump. I had the biggest bump on Friday! My DH was amazed at how big its gotten. I realised the next morning it was only due to not pooping that day. Haha. Back down to beer belly.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 08-15-2011, 04:48 PM

Sorry to all you ladies with the insomnia. Maybe that is going to be your baby's feeding times. :) Just getting you ladies use to it.

I've only been having a lot of trouble falling asleep, but once I'm out I'm pretty good. Last night, I went to bed around midnight, and it was a lot easier. Maybe I was going to bed too early? Even if I get up later in the night I am usually pretty good. As long as I have been asleep for a while.

I went to see my midwife, today, about the hard spot on my side. She said it felt like a cyst on my muscle tissue. She said maybe lower that that, but probably not. Since it doesn't hurt or bother me, it should be nothing to worry about. And for a bonus, I got to hear the heartbeat. She got it right away which was great, because at my last appt. she couldn't find it for long enough to really hear it. Every time she would get a glimpse of it, the little bugger would move.  We must have caught him sleeping today. :)

I also get a fantastic 'food baby' belly. It's amazing the difference between my belly first thing in the morning and at the end of the day. Crazy difference. 

And, today, I came to the conclusion that I need to retire my belt. I've been wearing it on one spot looser, but it was bothering my all day until I took it off. I probably won't see it again until several months PP. :(

And I think I have my energy back now. I've been feeling pretty great in the late afternoon/early evening, and that was the most unbearable time for me in the first.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 08-15-2011, 07:19 PM

The first trimester I was so tired and slept so well!  Of course, since I've been pregnant I haven't been able to sleep in late like I used to. 

Sometimes I have a hard time at night falling asleep but it's not too bad. 

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

Old 08-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Slimkins - If this baby is anything like DD, s/he will be up at 10, 11, 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc... for feeding so yeah, it's ONE of the his/her feeding times smile.gif

Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 AM

Sorry to hear about all the insomnia, ladies. 

I've been dealing with some deep round ligament pain.  It's just puling all day and all night.  Not much I can do to stop it or make it feel better... angry.gif

But!  I'm finally beginning to have the smallest littlest beginnings of a bump!  

belly.gif

I'm actually looking forward to actually looking pregnant, instead of just slightly out of shape.  Feel good everyone!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 AM

I don't know if it really helps, TeamGR, but my midwife suggested that a bella band might help give some additional support.  I didn't try it at the time but you might want to.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:18 AM

I'm not dealing with insomnia like some of you are, but I'm already up 1-2 times a night to pee . . . . I'm not as tired as I was in the first trimester, but I go back to work in 2 weeks (I'm a teacher), so I'm sure that the fatigue will return! I've got a tiny belly bulge, but it's not obvious yet that I'm pregnant - I just look fat! Can't wait for the bump to emerge a bit more!

femalesling.GIF to my DS and belly.gifwith baby #2 (due 2/2012)

Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 AM

When I was pg with my 2nd child my midwife recommended taking calcium + magnesium before bed for insomnia. I slept great after that and for the next 2 pgs. Well, this time I ran out at least a month ago and I've had some nights on the couch or just tossing and turning for hours. Right at this moment, I'm actually on swansonvitamins.com trying to find my good brand to order more.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

Old 08-20-2011, 06:20 PM

Can you say more about the calcuim and magnesium?  What dose?  Do you just buy each separately and then take just before bed? I'd love to hear what you find out.

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2011, 06:08 AM

Going to my first yoga class EVER this morning!!!! Really excited! smile.gif

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 PM

We heard the baby's heartbeat today!! 150.  I have been feeling the baby ALOT, so we are getting an ultrasound to confirm dates on Thurs.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:24 PM

User Tag List