midwife couldn't pick up hearbeat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 15 weeks, and had my hb midwife apt today. I am measuring on point, but she was unable to hear the heartbeat. My uterus is a bit backward tilted and she felt like this was probably why she couldn't hear it. Due to the miscarriage I had in December, I am feeling a bit anxious and wondering if I should have an ultrasound done. My midwife left it up to me, said she was not concerned, but totally understood if I would feel more comfortable with an u/s.

wondering if you would have the u/s done if your care provider was unable to pick up a heartbeat @ 15-16 weeks, or if anyone has had any history of this?

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 11:00 AM

DDCC:

I'm a fluffy mom and I have a retroverted uterus.  With my 1st pregnancy we didn't hear the heartbeat with doppler until 18 weeks. My midwife attempted at 14 and we couldn't hear anything so I had an ultrasound, and the baby was fine.  With my 2nd pregnancy I think we heard the heartbeat around 14-15 weeks, and with my 3rd it was around 16 weeks.  With this pregnancy we found it at 12 weeks, which shocked me!  If you are concerned an ultrasound can help put your mind at ease.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#3 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Was she listening with a fetoscope or a doppler?

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#4 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 AM

My midwife couldn't pick up the heartbeat at my 12 week appointment, but since I just had an u/s a few days prior, I was fine with it. She did, however, pick it up when I went to see her yesterday (just 2 weeks later). Do you live near your midwife? How would she feel about trying again before you decide to get an u/s? I understand your concern, even though the baby is probably fine, and would probably want something affirmative, too. It's just so hard before you get those daily kicks.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#5 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM

I agree that everything is probably fine.  That said, I would likely get the u/s.  My midwife couldn't find the heartbeat at my 9 week appt and quickly used an u/s to show that all was well.  It was a HUGE relief!

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#6 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 12:32 PM

Also agree that everything is probably fine. My last appointment was at 14 weeks and they had a really hard time finding the heartbeat. It could be the position of your uterus, the position of the placenta...

But I do know that these things can mess with your head! If you feel anxious about it, you can always opt for an ultrasound!

#7 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 01:02 PM

I would agree that everything is most likely fine. With my DS's pregnancy, his heartbeat could not be picked up on doppler until 16+weeks. I had an anterior placenta as well as a retroverted uterus. The combo of the two also meant that I didn't feel him until 23 weeks. We didn't do doppler today at my midwife appt for this reason. I have no signs of pregnancy loss and certainly still feel pregnant so I'm trying to trust my body and my baby. I'll have my first ultrasound and hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time around 19-20 weeks. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#8 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 05:32 PM

I also have a tilted uterus. My midwife JUST was able to pick up the heartbeat at my last appt (at 15 weeks.) She couldn't find it for about 5 minutes, then decided to just scan the baby and see how things were going (I was having cramping & high blood pressure due to TONS and TONS of personal stress) and she saw the baby, he was moving and she could see his position better. Then she KNEW where he was and was able to pick up a faint heartbeat. But she couldn't before knowing exactly where he was. So I agree that everything is probably fine, but with a previous m/c under my belt this year, I can totally relate. hug2.gif

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#9 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for every ones replies. Tried to wait it out, but was feeling to anxious so went in for a last minute u/s apt. Baby is growing fine and heartbeat is strong. Really didn't want to get more ultrasounds than necessary but I am glad to have the reassurance.

Right of Passage likes this.

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
#10 of 10 Old 08-17-2011, 04:29 AM

joy.gif  Yay!  So happy to hear that all is well!  

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page