Everyone knows better than mama... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-16-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

If I hear one more person tell me what I should and should not do while I'm pregnant I'm going to flip!  These are not like minded people.  As in they believe everything the medical community tells them.  Everything they read and everything their grandma told them was true. 

I realize I probably shouldn't eat soft cheese... however I lived on soft cheese with DD2.

I shouldn't eat shell fish... I ate so much of it with DD1.

Yes I quit smoking, however if I just light one and smell the yummy fragrance my neighbor does not need to peeking through the fence to wag her finger at me. 

I gave up caffeine with DD1 and guzzled it with DD2. 

I'm still loving my one cup of coffee and no boss I don't need your male self to tell me that when your wife was pregnant blah blah blah!

I'm so fed up, seriously annoyed.  I can't go anywhere without people forgetting that yes I've done this before.  Twice actually, 4 if you count the little ones in heaven.  The only person who isn't annoying me is my mother who is an OB nurse and is loving every minute of my complaints.  She enjoys telling me that I'm fine and others can get over it.  Geez I wish she was here, she's just as mouthy as me and she wouldn't have to worry about the offended she'd leave behind her. 

Anyone else?

#2 of 9 Old 08-16-2011, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

mischievous.gif You should do what is right for you, you shouldn't listen to all these advice givers. pinktongue.gif

Doctor said "you should only gain 10 lbs" I'll gain what my baby need THANKYOUVERYMUCH!

Nurse said "we will tell you where you'll have your baby" Uh no I will have my baby where I please!

I agree with your mama. I'm at the point with pregnancies that everyone can bugger off! I'm going to do what works for me. I'm smart I know the risks I take, heck I probably beat myself up over them but nevertheless I do what I need to do for me and my baby.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#3 of 9 Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 AM

Ignore, ignore, ignore...then come here and vent! wink1.gif

#4 of 9 Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 AM

yeahthat.gif

I had dinner with mil a couple of weeks ago and she asked "should you eat that?" I was all heck yeah. It's not like I'm trying to down tons of bad stuff so I pretty much do what I want and ignore any comments.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#5 of 9 Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 AM

I'm waiting to try out the snarky reply:

You're only allowed to tell me what to do now if you agree to 1 week of all night diaper duties for each piece of advice. 

Too mean?? whistling.gif

WarmHandsDoula likes this.

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#6 of 9 Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM

Ha ha... lvoe that comment.  But i want them to nurse the child too, so I can REALLY sleep.

I'm not playing the tell me what to do game.  Eating as much soft cheese and sushi as I want... eating as much as I want to feel satisfied... exercising as little  as my body tolerates.  I feel happy and strong and everyone's recommendations for MY body can float away.  They mean nothing to me.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#7 of 9 Old 08-17-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Funny thought I'd share, I said something to my DD1 about this and she told me that sometimes when people say things that annoy her she wishes she had spit wads prepared.  She thinks it would be great to shut someone up with a spit wad right between the eyes.  If only...

I remember when I was pregnant with DD1, and a friend of mine from Bosnia said that if her child could survive her womb through the bombings and food shortages than my child could survive a glass of wine and oysters. 

Right of Passage likes this.
#8 of 9 Old 08-17-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I remember when I was pregnant with DD1, and a friend of mine from Bosnia said that if her child could survive her womb through the bombings and food shortages than my child could survive a glass of wine and oysters. 

Yeah that seriously puts cheese and hot dogs in perpective!

Right of Passage likes this.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#9 of 9 Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Yes, that certainly DOES put things into perspective!

My husband and I were 2 weeks away from our highly anticipated Cabo getaway vacation when we found out we were expecting. When we told my MIL, her response was, "well do you think you'll be okay swimming in the ocean?" Huh? Really? I'm pretty sure the salty warm ocean water is fantastic for a pregnant woman to swim in--especially compared to highly chlorinated pool water!

She also insisted on telling me things I shouldn't eat while I was nursing DD and would blame my diet any time DD would be fussy or spit up ("ooooo, yea, you shouldn't eat those onions..." "oh dear, she's gassy. I guess you shouldn't have eaten that broccoli..."(!!!). So I know that's going to be right around the bend when the annoying pregnancy unsolicited advice ends. 

Wife to my heartbeat.gifDHheartbeat.gif since 2002, and mama to my AMAZING little girls (2/2009 & 3/2012), a sweet little angel1.gif in heaven (3/2008) and hoping for another healthybabyf.gif 1/20/2015!    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page