anybody making stuff? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 09-05-2011, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been crafting a LOT lately, but not just for baby. Apparently I have an increased crafty gene with this one..lol

I am part of an awesome natural materials swap group on yahoo(message if you want details!) and I am up next for hosting. I am SO doing a baby toys swap! We had all kinds of awesome stuff with DD and DS but now they are 3+ so we had already gifted all our baby stuff. It's time to restock the toys! We have lots of dipes(since an awesome friend just loaded me with dipes and wipes and a wet bag!) and my "mama" in Canada bought/made a ton of the sleepers. We have blankets out our ears here already too and a friend of mine from here is making us some pumpkin hats for next fall <3...so, it's all fun stuff!

I am thinking about these projects:

http://img2.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.196953598.jpg  (my youngers loved theirs!)

http://img3.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.158937211.jpg

http://img2.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.253074366.jpg 

http://img0.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.208271444.jpg (I am DYING for this for her(I hope it's a her..lol) but I don't knit..sigh)

If anyone has some amazing ideas for baby toys that are easily made with natural materials(ie wood, cotton fabrics, etc), PLEASE post links or recommend something!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#32 of 48 Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyemm View Post

Atomic Rocket, in my last DDC, we had a craft swap ( buying handcrafted items was acceptable, too ;))  maybe we could do something similar?

Neat!  I always look for crafty things when I am out at the local farmer's market.

#33 of 48 Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 AM

I made two DIY Moby wraps. Because I got some cute fabric (~$6/yd), they ended up costing about $15 each. Not bad! I even tested it out with a 5-lb. bag of flour I had in my kitchen. :)

#34 of 48 Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 PM

Did you have a pattern for this! That's so smart! I would love to make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura1982 View Post

I made two DIY Moby wraps. Because I got some cute fabric (~$6/yd), they ended up costing about $15 each. Not bad! I even tested it out with a 5-lb. bag of flour I had in my kitchen. :)

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#35 of 48 Old 09-07-2011, 12:27 PM

I looked at several websites to get the gist (and can't seem to find them now, sorry!) but it's pretty easy to summarize. No sewing required. :)

Get 5-6 yards of jersey knit (t-shirt material). Cut the width to at least 25" (you can make it wider if you like). Because most bolts of fabric are 50-60", you should be able to get two from one bolt of fabric. All they are is long rectangles!

I made mine with 5 yards, and there is enough to tie a knot. I might try 5 1/2 yards next time to get a little more knot-tying room.

Also, make sure you read the instructions (found on the Moby website) carefully for safety. Good luck!

#36 of 48 Old 09-07-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

i think i need pictures of the flour sack baby in the pretty moby....

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#37 of 48 Old 09-08-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

i think i need pictures of the flour sack baby in the pretty moby....

Ha ha! I am cracking up at the idea. I can't have those kinds of pictures on the internet. ;)

#38 of 48 Old 09-09-2011, 11:39 AM

adorabelle, check this link out for more info on DIY wraps:

http://www.wearyourbaby.com/Default.aspx?tabid=121

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#39 of 48 Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Thank you all so much! I was kicking myself because I missed an awesome sale on a Sleepy Wrap, but hopefully I'll be able to make one myself! :)

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#40 of 48 Old 09-10-2011, 08:04 PM

I got a wool blanket for free today, that I am going to cut up to make EC pads.  Either that, or see if I can make longies or covers with them.  The material is pretty course though, and I don't think will feel good against baby's skin.  With the EC pads, I would put them in a flannel pillow case, so there would be no scratchiness issue.

#41 of 48 Old 09-15-2011, 06:13 AM

It is odd because I have been having a really strong itch to make stuff. (Maybe I'm nesting.) I am normally pretty crafty but after dinnertime, when I used to knit, embroider or make jewelry, now I'm too tired. SO I found an easy baby blanket pattern: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyafruffle.htm which I'm going to attempt soon. Just waiting for my pregnancy carpel tunnel to get better so the knitting doesn't exacerbate things. I really love the idea of picturing my baby all snuggled up in a blanket I made for him or her. joy.gif

1st time Mombabyf.gifcame 14 wks early on 10.21.11, no known reason. winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFcd.gifcat.gifnamaste.gif Married to a lovely hubby fuzmalesling.gifsince 08.07.09.treehugger.gifbanana.gif

#42 of 48 Old 09-15-2011, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

i have now literally started dreaming of knitting.  i cannot put down the needles.  this is nuts, AND i am not really that good at it!  i came across this and i can't wait to get it on ILL from the library...  ittie bittie hats!  squeeeeeeee!~

#43 of 48 Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 AM

I'm knitting, but nothing for the baby yet. I'm working on a hoodie sweater for my 2yo, then I've been promising DH a hat for a year, then I hope to do a chunky scarf for myself (and if that is quick and goes well, I'll do a few more for my friend and SILs). After that, it's all about the baby. I'd love to do a blanket, sweater, hat, and socks.

Chances of me actually getting all this done though are slim to none!

#44 of 48 Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 PM

Finished my first pair of homemade longies!  love.gif I was hoping to make a matching hat out of the leftover yarn but I don't think there's enough. Maybe if I get some brown yarn, I can two-tone one.

P9281147.JPG

Ah well. One pair down, another pair started. Also thinking about making a hoodie out of some acrylic yarn I've had kicking around for awhile.

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#45 of 48 Old 09-30-2011, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

curious canadian, those are fantastic!!!! which pattern did you use?
ok.. ya'll... do you want to share ravelry names? i am marci*stars but it's all one word without the asterisk.
<3

#46 of 48 Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 PM

Thanks, I just used the Tiny Birds organics longies pattern. I hate seaming so I opted to use the circular/dpn pattern and it wasn't as scary as I'd feared. I'm curiouscanadian on Ravelry as well.

#47 of 48 Old 10-03-2011, 03:25 PM

just started my first sewing class ths weekend!! i'm excited to make stuff this time around!!

AmyJeanneBee likes this.
#48 of 48 Old 10-05-2011, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I bought some fabric to work on a patchwork quilt, but after sewing on it once I haven't been back. Might do some this week. :)

Also bought some unfinished wood cut outs of a train and airplane I hand painted to put on the baby's nursery door. I can't wait to decide on a name so I can find some letters and put them on the door as well. Not going to put them on the bedroom wall like a lot of people do...that takes up too much room for my tastes.

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page