anybody making stuff? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

crafty mamas-- what are you up to?

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 11:50 AM

I'm forcing myself to finish knitting a baby blanket for a friend first, then I can't wait to get started on stuff for ours.  I have so much baby-friendly yarn!

Old 08-19-2011, 01:18 PM

I might have crafting overload. I've started on curtains for the kid's room, a couple of flannel baby blankets, and cloth wipes. Next are some cute but probably useless booties, bibs and a couple of burp clothes. I really wish I could make a wet bag, but I'm thinking I just don't trust my sewing enough to chance that.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

ramzubo, if you can make booties and curtains, why not a wet bag?  that seems waaaay easier.

i made dd a hat, my first ever.  i learned how to make hats and then promptly went on internet shopping for knitting supply spree.  i have rainbow yarn coming in the mail and some eensy circular needles to make some hats for everyone. 

then, i am going to move on to either socks or longies.  making that hat gave me some confidence.  that and i discovered youtube craft videos after all this time.  yeah.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:37 PM

Thinking about knitting a sleep sack (nice, easy, mindless project).  Any of you experienced moms find them useful?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hildare View Post

ramzubo, if you can make booties and curtains, why not a wet bag?  that seems waaaay easier.

I wanted a zippered wet bag, me and zippers have yet to come to an understanding .....

I wish I could knit up something, but that's another skill that still needs work. I just can't seem to get the whole counting stitches down (even with markers). I think my last attempt at a baby blanket got progressively bigger as I went down.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:42 PM

Oh Vancouver, I really wanted to do a sleep sack too, but see above zipper issues. If I found a really great pattern though sleep sack would be on my list.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Shannon, what kind of wet bag do you want?  I made an easy peasy one by cutting a wool sweater at the armpits, sewing the raw edge, and running thick, doubled up yarn through the waist.  Wool naturally holds in moisture and smell.  Great for weekend trips (or even using around the house.)  We used kitty litter containers (Tidy Cats was perfect, because it has a reclosable lid.  I know they are evil, but you can ask around for empty ones) for around the house.  One container held about two days worth of prefolds (I think. Boy that was a long time ago!).

If I can get my butt moving, we will be heading to the thrift store for old t-shirts.  We will be making prefolds from t-shirts.  I made a grand total of one with Michael, and it was SOOO much lighter, and dried quicker than the other prefolds I had.  It made for a skinny, absorbant dipe :thumbsup.

With Michael, I made hundreds of cotton wipes.  Those things are great to make during bouts of insomnia!!!  They are pretty repetitive and boring to make, so i could do about ten before heading back to bed :lol.  I am thinking about making them rectangle shape this time, so they fit in a wipes warmer.  Or, maybe we will just have a pot of water on our woodstove to dip into. :shrug  DH likes to microwave wipes, which scares me.

I tried to make booties for Michael (with flannel: I don't crochet/knit) and never finished them.  I have a feeling booties/socks are going to be a must have for a Feb. babe.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Ramzubo, this (or something similar) is the pattern I'm considering:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/owlie-sleep-sack

Old 08-19-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzubo View Post

Oh Vancouver, I really wanted to do a sleep sack too, but see above zipper issues. If I found a really great pattern though sleep sack would be on my list.

You might consider:  http://www.whattoknitwhen.com/2009/07/snuggle.html

It knits up really fast has no zipper and there is a very cute version of it on ravelry where they added a cinched bottom, knitted it in green and added leaves to turn it into a peapod sleep sack.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

then, i am going to move on to either socks or longies.  making that hat gave me some confidence.  that and i discovered youtube craft videos after all this time.  yeah.

I've been knitting since I was eight and longies and socks still scare me, but they're oh so cute.  I love Knit Picks for yarn; very cheap and lots of colors!

Old 08-19-2011, 05:00 PM

Is there a pattern you are using for the prefolds?  Will a Snappi work on them? 

I've got a ton of flannel I don't know what to do with.  I've made cloth wipes but you only need so many of those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyemm View Post

Shannon, what kind of wet bag do you want?  I made an easy peasy one by cutting a wool sweater at the armpits, sewing the raw edge, and running thick, doubled up yarn through the waist.  Wool naturally holds in moisture and smell.  Great for weekend trips (or even using around the house.)  We used kitty litter containers (Tidy Cats was perfect, because it has a reclosable lid.  I know they are evil, but you can ask around for empty ones) for around the house.  One container held about two days worth of prefolds (I think. Boy that was a long time ago!).

If I can get my butt moving, we will be heading to the thrift store for old t-shirts.  We will be making prefolds from t-shirts.  I made a grand total of one with Michael, and it was SOOO much lighter, and dried quicker than the other prefolds I had.  It made for a skinny, absorbant dipe :thumbsup.

With Michael, I made hundreds of cotton wipes.  Those things are great to make during bouts of insomnia!!!  They are pretty repetitive and boring to make, so i could do about ten before heading back to bed :lol.  I am thinking about making them rectangle shape this time, so they fit in a wipes warmer.  Or, maybe we will just have a pot of water on our woodstove to dip into. :shrug  DH likes to microwave wipes, which scares me.

I tried to make booties for Michael (with flannel: I don't crochet/knit) and never finished them.  I have a feeling booties/socks are going to be a must have for a Feb. babe.

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

Old 08-19-2011, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I haven't started anything yet but there are so many things I want to make...I think i'll wait til I find out what I am having.  Making things for the baby without having to limit myself to gender neutral prints is the main reason we are finding out the sex 

I am planning to make a diaper bag, one size pocket diapers, newborn covers and prefolds/fitteds, some clothes, shoes, etc.  I can't wait to start sewing!!!

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Rin

I love crafting- *Especially* baby things, but since I work full time I come home exhausted and I have no room to craft in our tiny apartment.  With DS I made a diaper bag, wool covers, longies, wipes, toys, this one I'm afraid will have to maybe be stuck with store bought stuffs..... :(

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 08-20-2011, 05:33 AM

We are planning on using prefolds for the first few months, so I'm planning on making tons of covers! I made one last night, it's a fleece soaker, embroidered on the bum. I live in FL and honestly, it doesn't get THAT cold. I can think of many times that we opened presents in t-shirts and shorts on Christmas. So we're mostly planning embroidered soakers with baby legs, long sleeve shirts if needed. I'm going to be making a few pairs of longies too though just in case it's a fluke year and is actually cold. orngbiggrin.gif I usually make them from fleece or wool interlock. 

I haven't knitted in years, but I am thinking of trying to refresh my skills and at least knit hats and booties. I have an organic cotton yarn that is soooo soft. I really would like to make a cute hat/booties set.

But other than that, on my list are: wet bags, receiving blankets (holy crap, have you SEEN the price of these things in baby stores?! when I can buy a yard of it on sale every other week for $2!!!), maybe embellishing or embroidering my GMD prefold stash. 

ETA: OH! And cloth wipes!

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

Old 08-20-2011, 07:46 AM

I'm just beginning to plan a scrap quilt for the baby... Though first I have to finish the backing on dd's.

I got the idea from a good friend of mine to have friends and family give pieces of fabric with a special meaning to the parents to be and then fashion a quilt out of those fabrics. The one for dd was my first sewing effort and I made up my own pattern but it turned into a really beautiful wall hanging that once backed will be a great twin size throw.

I'd like to make one for this baby and have dd help. Anyone have any quilting experience or references though? I'm not sure I want to create my own pattern this time as I'll be using a sewing machine instead of hand sewing and find that machines work better with more evenly measured pieces smile.gif

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 08-20-2011, 08:07 PM

I need to finish knitting a newborn kimono sweater for my sister's baby (due in Dec) and then I can start on some things for my baby.  I'm hoping to at least get a sweater and hat finished.  I'd like to do a few other things but I'm worried about time.  Things are going to be super busy around the holidays and then I'll be running around trying to get prepped for the birth so I'm not sure how much knitting I'm going to be able to squeeze in during the next 5 months or so.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:06 PM

Did you find your kimono pattern online?  Is it terribly hard?  I love the idea of knitting a kimono-style top.  I've done sweaters and such before, but I'm looking for a baby project that's more ambitious than a blanket but still relatively mindless (between the fatigue and the baby brain I'm pretty sure I'd make lots of mistakes on a complicated pattern).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelmama View Post

I need to finish knitting a newborn kimono sweater for my sister's baby (due in Dec) and then I can start on some things for my baby.  I'm hoping to at least get a sweater and hat finished.  I'd like to do a few other things but I'm worried about time.  Things are going to be super busy around the holidays and then I'll be running around trying to get prepped for the birth so I'm not sure how much knitting I'm going to be able to squeeze in during the next 5 months or so.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:13 PM

I'm using the One-Piece Baby Kimono pattern from the book Mason-Dixon Knitting.   I don't think it's available online but you could get the book from the library.  The pattern is pretty simple so it doesn't require a ton of concentration.  Here is a ravelry link.    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/one-piece-baby-kimono

Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 AM

soakers and longies knitting aplenty over here!  

Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelmama View Post

I'm using the One-Piece Baby Kimono pattern from the book Mason-Dixon Knitting.   I don't think it's available online but you could get the book from the library.  The pattern is pretty simple so it doesn't require a ton of concentration.  Here is a ravelry link.    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/one-piece-baby-kimono

Currently checked out at my local library, but I'm first on the wait-list.  Thanks for the lead!!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:15 PM

So far, Ive only made 25 cloth wipes for this baby. I feel like such a slacker smile.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

so... i've been obsessing over that kimono, put it in my ravelry queue and have the book on ILL order.  i've even picked out the yarn.  i have to make dd a "rainbow pompom hat" per her request first but i think that's my next thing. 

here's a ? for those of you who've made it-- i need to order needles most likely as i haven't that many-- what size did you use?  it doesn't say on ravelry and i assume the book will, but i want to have everything ready (i.e. need to shop, lol) when the book comes.  thanks!  and thanks for pointing this out.  i'm just now feeling comfortable doing something besides scarves and this looks simple and satisfying. 

<3

Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 AM

The pattern calls for size 6 needles and that's what I ended up using.  The gauge is 20sts+40 rows=4" in garter st.  The patten is knit flat in one piece and then you seam up the sides and underarms.  I used circs because that's what I had handy, but straights would work too. With straights, you might want a stitch holder on hand though to hold the right side sleeve stitches while you work on the left sleeve.  I think it's a  good next step up in complexity from scarves.  It should stretch you enough to keep it from getting boring but shouldn't be overwhelming. 

Old 08-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Well I am finishing a baby blanket that I started when pregnant with #2 (he is now 3!) Then I have a few knitting projects to do for friends...may get back to knitting a hat but not much else for me. Sewing is not one of my talents.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 PM

I'm about 3/4 of the way through my first pair of knit longies and have yarn for a second pair. Might make matching hats out of the leftover yarn from each.

In my fabric stash I've already got a crib-size quilt batting and fleece for one side, so I think I'll pick up something for the other side and throw it together.

I also need to sew the curtain for the baby's room, cut up and hopefully serge-edge some cloth wipes (if I can find a serger to borrow), and I've got a bunch of sweaters to turn into recycled longies/soakers.

Feb up here in canada is chilly, so I'm all about wool this time around! lol

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

Old 09-03-2011, 05:20 PM

I'm a little jealous of all you crafty mamas, since I have neither the skill nor the patience to sew or knit anything myself.  You should post pictures of what you make!  smile.gif

Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 PM

Atomic Rocket, in my last DDC, we had a craft swap ( buying handcrafted items was acceptable, too ;))  maybe we could do something similar?

Old 09-04-2011, 12:08 PM

I love this idea!! I'd definitely participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyemm View Post

Atomic Rocket, in my last DDC, we had a craft swap ( buying handcrafted items was acceptable, too ;))  maybe we could do something similar?

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

Old 09-05-2011, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I'm knitting something for my baby (very lazily about it too) probably a blanket. It's multi-colored (gender neutral colors) and will take me months to finish because I only work on it for 30 min. - hr here and there, not consistently at all. I'll feel good when it's done though....and I'll know I made it myself.

I painted the nursery wall (wore a painters face mask of course) with circles (outlines done from bottle cans, glasses and paint buckets all held up to the wall and traced with a pen then painted in) colored in with sage green and light brown then I did a hand painted thin outline in turquoise to give it a little POP of bright color. It's pretty. It took awhile to do....and it's special because I did it myself. smile.gif

I'm also going to be working on a scrap book/baby book/pregnancy journal here soon. It's partially done already but I took time off for awhile and will pick it up again. I enjoy putting the ultrasound photos in it. That's fun!

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 

User Tag List