Tetanus/Pregnancy YIKES - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So a couple months ago I decided to rip up the carpet in our nursery in anticipation of installing laminate wood flooring in there.  Well, needless to say, the tack strips and staples are still in the floor.  I got the bright idea this morning to start to pull up the tack strips. 

And then I poked myself in the thumb with a nail!  Then I went to get up to go to the bathroom to put some tea tree oil on it, and stepped on a freaking nail or staple and it went in my foot!  It wasn't deep; neither of them were, but it still scared me.  And now I'm like OMG I am going to get tetanus!!  So then I proceeded to go to the bathroom and cry for 10 minutes because I am now bleeding in two spots, I threw out my back this morning by SNEEZING, and now I can't freaking do anything around the house. 

I put tea tree oil on it and hopefully that will be good.  Any other suggestions? 

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#2 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 07:54 AM

Soak them in epsom salt.  

I'm glad you mentioned tea tree oil, because I wouldn't have thought of that.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#3 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Great idea! I will do that.  :)

#4 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 01:35 PM

It's a very good thing that they bled. Tetanus is an anaerobic bacteria so it really thrives on deep puncture wounds that don't bleed. Plus, it is extraordinarily rare and mostly found on farms and such. I really wouldn't worry about tetanus from a carpet tack. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#5 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I think my pregnancy hormones are making me crazier than normal. ;)

#6 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 07:04 PM

Aw, I'm sorry that happened :( I freak out about EVERYTHING while pregnant, too. If it's any consolation, when I was 19 I was helping my dad board up windows for a hurricane that was headed our way, jumped over the fence to grab something in the back yard and had a nail go pretty deep into my foot. It was old and gross, sitting outside in the backyard from who-knows-what. Obviously with a category 4 hurricane headed our way THAT day, I didn't go to the hospital. I never ended up with tetanus, thank goodness. And I'm sure that was much yuckier than your carpet. The tea tree oil is a great idea, and I will definitely remember epsom salt for any future accidents like that. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#7 of 7 Old 08-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinsMommy0409 View Post

It's a very good thing that they bled. Tetanus is an anaerobic bacteria so it really thrives on deep puncture wounds that don't bleed. Plus, it is extraordinarily rare and mostly found on farms and such. I really wouldn't worry about tetanus from a carpet tack. 

what she said.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page