round ligament pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The last several days or so I've had random, sudden, sharp pain on the side of my abdomen (mostly on the left).  Sometimes it comes on while just sitting, and other times when I roll over in bed in the middle of the night.  It doesn't last very long and it's not like I'm incapacitated by it at all.  It's just new and strange and leaves me wondering what the heck it going on.  Dating US put the baby in my uterus so no concern about ectopic pregnancy.  From my internet sleuthing, I suspect it's round ligament pain, but am not really sure.  Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?  Oh, and in case it matters, I'm 15w5d...

#2 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 AM

That sounds a lot like my round ligament pain.  I didn't know it could happen when I was sitting still (it's been happening all the time while moving since eight weeks for me), but my midwife said that it's from the uterus popping out into the abdomen.

#3 of 7 Old 08-21-2011, 09:48 AM

This sounds exactly like what I'm getting, and my midwife said definitely round ligament pain. Sorry you're in pain.  I've found that lying int he fetal position for a bit helps, but really, it's just a low grade pulling most of the time interspersed with some high impact jabs.  I'm trying to remember it means serious bump-ittude is coming!

Feel better!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#4 of 7 Old 08-21-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance, ladies!!  It's really nice to have people to commiserate with about this stuff.  There are just so many things no one tells you to be prepared for during pregnancy....  I didn't even know I had "round ligaments" until a couple of days ago irked.gif.  Is it too much to hope for that they will get good a stretched out now so that it's smooth sailing later on?  Regardless, bring on the bump!!

#5 of 7 Old 08-21-2011, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

i've been having this too - especially when I sneeze or get up too quickly, lay in a certain position, or move suddenly in a certain way.  It also happens sometimes if I pull my daughter onto my lap.

i remember it happening with my dd's pregnancy for several weeks, but maybe it lasts shorter with some people.  I don't like it either!!!

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#6 of 7 Old 08-21-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver sarah View Post

Is it too much to hope for that they will get good a stretched out now so that it's smooth sailing later on?  Regardless, bring on the bump!!

I had round ligament pain for most of my pregnancy with DD. And unfortunately, it's only supposed to get worse with subsequent pregnancies, which so far has been proven true for me. I'm 13 weeks now and have been getting RLP since about week 5. I mostly notice it at night when I roll over in bed like you had originally mentioned. Other than that, it can be very sudden and sharp when I stand up after sitting a while. The only good thing is that it's reassuring to know that my uterus is growing strong :)

Wife to my heartbeat.gifDHheartbeat.gif since 2002, and mama to my AMAZING little girls (2/2009 & 3/2012), a sweet little angel1.gif in heaven (3/2008) and hoping for another healthybabyf.gif 1/20/2015!    
#7 of 7 Old 09-04-2011, 08:59 PM

I just posted about this in another thread, so sorry for the duplicate info for those of you who are reading both, but ask your midwife/ob about MSM. It's a sulfur supplement that's good for connective tissue and it saved my life last time. It was so bad with baby #3 that I really just wanted the things removed! Who needs them anyway? I had a swimming class my last trimester and there weren't any stairs out of the pool--just a ladder--and I would stand at the bottom of the ladder breathing and psyching myself up for the pain that would slam into me when I emerged from the water. Totally debilitating! Couldn't do flip turns either. And sneezing? Coughing? Rolling over in bed? Getting out of bed? Oh, just kill me now!

With #4 I had a midwife who suggested MSM daily and then Complete Tissue and Bone topically. Totally changed my life! If I took the MSM daily, I had zero problems with those round ligaments. If I forgot to take it for a few days, it would flare up and then I'd use the CT&B, which worked great to soothe the pain in the moment, just not so much as a preventative. Then I'd immediately get back on track with the daily MSM usage and all would be well again. I highly recommend it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page