Mothering Forum banner

Cloth Diapers

3K views 60 replies 28 participants last post by  jaimeemiaj 
#1 ·
I can't remember if we talked about this before... but I am SURE some mamas in here are going to be doing cloth :) We currently cloth diaper my special needs 3 1/2 year old. We started with pocket diapers with him, and had him in disposables until he grew into them (a one-size pocket diaper, fit comfortably at about 6 weeks.) With this baby, I don't want to do disposables at all because I will already be washing cloth, and honestly haven't bought them in... 3 1/2 years!

What are your NB diapering plans?

So far I have about 1 dozen orange edge Green Mountain Diaper (newborn size) prefolds and 2 1/2 - 3 dozen yellow edge Green Mountain Diaper unbleached prefolds (the next size up, fit about 6 weeks-4 or 5 months?). DH isn't really on board with prefolds.. but at the same time.. he doesn't really care and I know he will be supportive either way because he loves cloth. I didn't really want to splurge on sized diapers like Bum Genius newborns, and this was really the cheapest way to go about it! I got all of these for around $60 from different deals on diaper swappers.

I'm planning on making all of our covers. Possibly embellishing or embroidering our prefolds :)

We're planning on using pockets when baby is older, hopefully DS#2 will be PL'ed and we can just use his pockets for new baby.

But I must admit, I am slightly nervous about newborn cloth diapering... even though I've been doing this for over 3 years!

See less See more
#52 ·
We went ahead and bought some one size diapers form ebay, we plan to use cloth once the babies fit into them and probably just at home. We got a great deal 20 diapers for 72$ so far they seem great lets see how they hold up.

#53 ·
Last week I ordered 3 dozen newborn prefolds from GMD. I also bought two thirsties covers and have several cute newborn or small size covers on my amazon list.

I've been feeling a little silly about the fact that I"m washing these dipes (to get them to shrink up and be nice and soft) already and then I came on here and see you all are getting your diapers ready too! It's pretty fun to pull a load of clean diapers out of the dryer again though-- and they are so cute and tiny!

#54 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscanadian View Post

I learned to knit last year, so I'm well into my first pair of longies, and have yarn for a second pair. I also have a whole bunch of sweaters to turn into recycled longies/soakers if I can find dimension/newborn sizing info anywhere! Everything I've found recommends measuring my baby. NOT helpful when I'd like to get some done before baby arrives (seriously, who has time to sew/knit with a newborn???!!!). Can anyone help me out with that?
i am a huge fan of the felted sweater soaker/shorties.. here's the one i usually use, and this one too here has newborn measurements.. it also recommends using one you have to get the idea.. i also like that first one b/c i am too lazy to do elastic; i just braid (i don't even icord it) wool and sew to make a drawstring...

#55 ·
I've not done this cloth diapering thing before but i'm stocking up and ready to figure it out! We just got one of our big orders in the mail- so much fun!

My daughter is just as excited about opening the package and diapers as I am- in fact she's begging me to wash them already! How does she know! She's a natural I guess and will be very helpful! :)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/newfluff.jpg/

These are mostly Alva Pocket diapers, a few Kawaii pockets- 3 of which are newborn ones. Then I have a wetbag and bamboo and microfiber inserts. I need to read all your posts and see what you all are using because i'm still trying to figure this out!

#56 ·
Wow Nourish what a cute haul!

So far I've stocked up on the kissaluvs. I don't know how well they'll work, but darn they are so adorable. I'm not sure about the covers for these though. I've read that people like the thirsties covers but some pp have pointed out the need to have one that would snap down for the cord stump.....

I've also got some bum genius pockets and have been sewing inserts for them. I think I'm going to need some AIO for easy use when we got out.

#57 ·
I have cloth diapered all of my kids and this will be my 6th baby I always have more than a few days worth of diapers and I have extra covers ALWAYS. I buy my prefolds from little-lions.com they are cheapest for good quality prefolds. I dont buy super expensive dipes usually either but have some of everything and every brand at one point I had 3 kids in dipes all different ages and sizes LOL. Clothdiapers can always be sold when you are finished so I dont worry about it too much.

#58 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommaof4 View Post

I have cloth diapered all of my kids and this will be my 6th baby I always have more than a few days worth of diapers and I have extra covers ALWAYS. I buy my prefolds from little-lions.com they are cheapest for good quality prefolds. I dont buy super expensive dipes usually either but have some of everything and every brand at one point I had 3 kids in dipes all different ages and sizes LOL. Clothdiapers can always be sold when you are finished so I dont worry about it too much.
They're selling their business. Which might by why I can not find an option for prefolds. Do they have regular/ non-dyed ones? or just colors?

#59 ·
Nourish- We love Kawaii's in this house! My special needs 3.5 year old is still in cloth, and Kawaii's fit him beautifully.
love.gif

For new babe I have completed my cloth stash. We have 36 newborn sized (orange edge GMDs and a dozen of the discontinued green edge) prefolds. I also have 3 dozen yellow edge GMD's and another 2 dozen yellow GMD's but they are "seconds" quality, meaning GMD sold them as "seconds" brand new because they didn't shrink up like typical yellows. So they fit more like the next size up, which I think are red edge? I got them for super cheap. All were purchased used off of diaper swappers FSOT so we saved a ton.

We also have 10 Kawaii, the newborn ones that fit 6-18 lbs. 5 Kawaii OS Minky. About 15 PUL covers sizes newborn-medium. I think 7 other random OS pockets (blueberries and stuff) leftover from DS2 that don't fit him anymore.

Then we're hoping that DS2 will be PL'ed and DS3 will inherit his 60 or so Kawaii's that are currently in rotation!

I have a problem with being over prepared
redface.gif
I will take some fluffy pics in a bit.

#60 ·
oh I didnt know they were selling thats sad!.. I have always only purchsed non dyed non color prefolds from them!

#61 ·
I am happy to have all of our cloth diapers fresh and ready to go. I don't have as much space this time around for storage though, with this being our third baby! It feels good to get that task out of the way. Now, if we just had another room and a bigger car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.