Mothering Forum banner

Cloth Diapers

3K views 60 replies 28 participants last post by  jaimeemiaj 
#1 ·
I can't remember if we talked about this before... but I am SURE some mamas in here are going to be doing cloth :) We currently cloth diaper my special needs 3 1/2 year old. We started with pocket diapers with him, and had him in disposables until he grew into them (a one-size pocket diaper, fit comfortably at about 6 weeks.) With this baby, I don't want to do disposables at all because I will already be washing cloth, and honestly haven't bought them in... 3 1/2 years!

What are your NB diapering plans?

So far I have about 1 dozen orange edge Green Mountain Diaper (newborn size) prefolds and 2 1/2 - 3 dozen yellow edge Green Mountain Diaper unbleached prefolds (the next size up, fit about 6 weeks-4 or 5 months?). DH isn't really on board with prefolds.. but at the same time.. he doesn't really care and I know he will be supportive either way because he loves cloth. I didn't really want to splurge on sized diapers like Bum Genius newborns, and this was really the cheapest way to go about it! I got all of these for around $60 from different deals on diaper swappers.

I'm planning on making all of our covers. Possibly embellishing or embroidering our prefolds :)

We're planning on using pockets when baby is older, hopefully DS#2 will be PL'ed and we can just use his pockets for new baby.

But I must admit, I am slightly nervous about newborn cloth diapering... even though I've been doing this for over 3 years!

See less See more
#2 ·
We EC fulltime, but use dipes for backup when the LO needs to be dressed. I like prefolds for tiny ones, and the Motherease were nice for bigger babies. We had such an easy time ECing our now 4 yo (she was 100% out of dipes by 14 months) that I suppose we're really in for it this time around. But it will be what it will be.

#3 ·
I am excited about cloth diapering. This is my first baby, so I don't know what I will like best, but I have purchased some newborn all-in-ones, fitteds, and prefolds with a few PUL and wool covers. So far I only have diapers that fit up to around 12-15 pounds and I figure I'll buy larger sizes once I decide what I like. I know this question has been asked and answered a billion times on the internet before, but how many diapers do you guys have for the newborn stage? I want to get away with as few as possible (without washing them every day) because I know the baby will grow out of them pretty quickly.

#4 ·
I have also asked that question about a million times on diaper swappers recently and no one will really give me an answer!! I saw on Green Mountain Diapers website that they recommended I think 2-3 dozen prefolds... I bought more than that because I generally wash every 2-3 days. Right now we have 30 pocket diapers + 3 overnight pockets in rotation for DS#2, and I can go 3-4 days without washing... but when I had him in Bum Genius at 6 weeks old, we only had 18, and I washed EVERY night. Hopefully someone who CD'ed a little more recently than I did will be able to shed some light on this!

#5 ·
I'd like to wash every two days or so, but so far I have only 20 diapers. I may buy some more prefolds (AIOs and fitteds are getting too expensive), but I'm not sure how many.

Another question: Should I bother buying doublers or wait to see if I have a heavy wetter? I already feel like I have so much stuff!

#6 ·
I like to have a dozen a day ready to go with a few covers. With EC, we never needed doublers. We practice using the potty many many times a day and night at every transition... and were all catching pees within the first week of her little life. We hang everything to dry, which sometimes takes a long time depending on the weather, so that definitely increased the number we wanted to have on hand.

#7 ·
Yay! I loved cloth diapering my daughter! My favorite and IME most leak-proof cloth diapering option was always Green Mountain Diaper prefolds fastened with a snappi with Thirsties covers. Second favorite for when she was out of the newborn runnyBF poop was definitely my goodmama and bagshotrowbamboo fitteds with Thirsties covers (or no covers if we were at home).

I am particularly excited to CD this time around because I know so much more about it. I was so excited to start CDing when DD was born, but the stress of being new to motherhood and all that it brought made it hard for me to enjoy the process. Now that I "know" what I'm doing (I say that now...) I am excited to use DD's diapers with this little babe. In fact, I keep pulling out my NB sized diapers to remember just how little they are!
biggrinbounce.gif
So to answer your question Mamanoish, I'm planning on using my newborn sized prefolds and covers to cloth diaper :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrocket View Post
I know this question has been asked and answered a billion times on the internet before, but how many diapers do you guys have for the newborn stage? I want to get away with as few as possible (without washing them every day) because I know the baby will grow out of them pretty quickly.
I would definitely recommend at LEAST 2 dozen newborn sized diapers. I have three dozen newborn sized GMD prefolds (orange edge) and then I also have a dozen in the size in between orange edge and yellow edge (she discontinued them, so I'm glad I bought them when I did!). Since during that newborn period they are pooping constantly, you want to make sure you've got plenty on hand. I pretty much washed every other day all throughout my CDing experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicrocket View Post

Another question: Should I bother buying doublers or wait to see if I have a heavy wetter? I already feel like I have so much stuff!
I would buy a few because chances are good they'll come in handy for naps and/or night time diapering. I love my hemp doublers from GMD--I used the heck out of them with DD and they are still in great shape, and very absorbent.

#8 ·
I also wanted to add that I really want to try EC with this one, so mtn.mama, I'll probably have some questions for you as we get closer to February ;)

Reactions: mtn.mama
#9 ·
I'm having a hard time spending the money on newborn sized prefolds. I've already spent like $35 on newborn covers, and I'm freaking out about that. I heard you can take the infant size and fold them the opposite way for newborns. Do you think that would work? Also, I've heard the Green Mountain prefolds are better than Cotton Babies; anyone have experience with that?

#10 ·
I haven't unpacked all of the newborn/small diapers yet, but I think the 2-3 dozen # sounds about right. I think I have 2 dozen orange GMD prefolds, a dozen no-name prefolds, a few fitteds and pockets, and 2 AIOs. We found that prefolds worked the best for DS - especially for preventing blowouts. I HATED using disposables on him because he always seemed to poop up the back, whereas the GMD prefolds with a Thirsties or Bummis cover worked great! DH was 100% against the idea of prefolds, but now they're his favorite while I like pockets more now that DS has become such a little squirmer. Cloth wipes are also awesome and so much better than disposable wipes, IMO.

I used to stalk the FSOT forum over on diaperswappers.com and saved a lot of $$ that way!

#11 ·
I loved my GMD prefolds, the wide sizing is GREAT for snappi's. I had some other nameless (or at least I can't remember the brand) PF and there was a big difference. The GMD washed up and held up great. I had a small stash, just 24, so I was washing every day/every other, so lots of wear...but held up great.

I am having a hard time deciding on buying newborn PF, the nameless PF's were junk (not nearly wide enough), and I didn't buy GMD until a bigger size. My son was nearly 9lbs and was out of everything newborn at about a week old. Because of his size, I'm hesitant to buy orange edge form GMD, yet i don't know if baby will be ready for yellow edge at birth either. I don't want to bulk up the front too much by folding over and possibly irritating the navel. I think I am going to try some flats for the newborn stage. I just bought 12 Osocozy flats on Diaperswappers. They have smaller sizing, so I'm hoping they will last from newborn-3 months. Folding them sounds kinda fun too. Maybe I'll do 12 orange edge (for night when I can't see straight enough to fold) and flats for daytime. I hope to find another deal on Diaperswappers...reasonably priced GMD go pretty fast

I have some original GroBaby, that I never got to use (bought a half-stash, just to have my son PL by the time they came). So I will do a mix of flats, PF's and AI2.

CDing is so fun...and addicting!

#13 ·
When my son was a newborn, I think we technically had around 15 or so diapers that fit him (not including the bulky OS, that were too big for him).

I know that is not that many, but for a newborn, I will wash extra to not spend money on something that will only be used for a month. My son was 16 lbs. at two months.

At that point, I was washing every day, but no big deal. I usually did it at night. I used mostly tiny pre-folds with thirsties covers until he was about a month or two old. Then I used more of my stash. Later on, I washed every day and half to twoish days.

I will probably do the same with this one. Although, I did luck out and saw a link that someone in another DDC posted a while back about XS BG (factory rejects) diapers on sale for $6. I bought 7 of them, so, now I have a few more options. I think I want to invest in some wool for overnight this time around. My son would get so many leaks, from nursing so much at night, that every time I woke up he was wet. And we probably changed him about 3 or 4 times a night.

atomicrocket, definitely get a couple of doublers, though they might be a bit bulky for a newborn. You will probably use them later on for sure.

And I did part-time EC with my son starting when he was around a month old. He was out of diapers at 18 months, though he does still wear one to bed at night. He'll be two on Thursday. The EC made the transition a lot easier for him, though I did do a week of potty learning to make the switch to undies. He got it pretty quick (I'm, sure because of EC).

And I might be in the minority, but I hardly ever used my fitted diapers that I bought. Only when hanging around the house. I will not be buying any more of those.

#14 ·
I am so glad that there is so much love for GMD's on here!!
luxlove.gif
I am looking very forward to using them. I only have 12 orange edge right now.. because once I saw how tiny they were, I got scared to buy more. My eldest was close to 9 lbs at birth, 2nd was 7.14. For those who have used them on a newborn... how long did you use them/how big were your babies/did you like the fit? I am thinking about buying another dozen just because... and using them as burp cloths or doublers if he grows out of them fast. They are fabulous for stuffing pockets. And I am so mad that I didn't snatch up a dozen of the "in between orange and yellow" size... I was buying from a mama who offered to throw them in for me for $18 and I declined because I thought orange & yellow would be perfect.
mecry.gif

I have been snatching mine up by the dozen on diaper swappers for between $15 and $20, which is fabulous considering they are NOT cheap to ship. I prefer unbleached, and I am very happy with them compared to PF's I've used in the past. When DS#2 was a baby (my first CD'ed baby), I bought no-name infant prefolds and they were GIGANTIC on him. We never used them. That's when I just decided to wait until he grew into pockets. But this time, I am very comfortable with cloth and it is the only option to me, so I think I will be less nervous and more willing to make it work for a newbie.

I cringe every time I check FSOT for PUL covers. So expensive!! I know I will need a few, because we do have onesie outfits and whatnot that will need PUL covers. Other than that, I've already made about 5 fleece soakers, and 5 or so wool interlock soakers that I've embroidered. I'm trying to buy more shirts, or onesies that I can hem, then make soakers and longies to match them.

As for pockets, I usually am not one to go the cheap way out (spent hundreds upon hundreds on Goodmamas that I WISH I could get back... they fell apart in no time and I cried with each rip and tear) but we are in love with Kawaii pocket diapers in this house. Ridiculously affordable. We've never had a leak in them and have been using our stash of 33 on DS#2 (heavy wetter) for 8 months. I always wait until I have enough to spend so that I can get free shipping though because they are a Canadian company. They do run a bit big though, so I am going to wait to see how they fit the new baby while I use my PF's. And heck, if I have a lot of love for prefolds... we might just stick to that! I do love pockets on older babies though. I always loved BG's, just hate the price. And the velcro.

#15 ·
And also, I am very interested in EC. But I do feel a bit discouraged. DS#1 was out of diapers really fast. He was so easy to PL. But by DS#2 is still in diapers at 3 1/2. I know there is not much we can do though, and we just have to take our time with him given his needs. But heck, I am not not not looking forward to two in cloth diapers! As much as I love cloth, that laundry is going to be bonkers.
dizzy.gif

#16 ·
We still have not decided, before I was pregnant I thought for sure I would CD. Now I just don't know if it's going to work. DH and I both work and we'll be taking care of newborn twins so I don't want to spend a bunch of money of something that may not work for us. I think we'll probably wait until the babies are a few months old and see if we can do it or not.

#17 ·
I am *sooooo* looking forward to using cloth diapers!!! So far I have:

- 2 thirsties duo wraps, size 1 COVERS

- 1 Small Bummis super whisper wrap COVER

- 1 wildchild for babies small side snapping fleece COVER

- 1 thirsties duo size 1 DIAPER

- 1 NB Fuzzibunz DIAPER

- 4 Hemp Babies flat DIAPERS

- 4 thirsties hemp INSERTS

- 1 onesize blueberry pocket DIAPER

- 4 diaper pins

- 2 snappis

- 6 sm OBF snappi fitteds SBish DIAPER

- 6 small flat bamboo terry SBish DIAPER

- 6 medium flat bamboo terry SBish DIAPER

- 12 snapless multi fitteds onesize DIAPER

I am definitely ordering prefolds from GMD. And I think I need some more covers? Maybe some more NB fitteds??????

It is kind of overwhelming...

#18 ·
Ya know, I remember reading several posts on The Cloth Diaper Whisperer from moms of twins who were using cloth diapers. They seem to cite money as one of the biggest reasons, and didn't seem to find it any more complicated. I imagine it is a really hard decision, just thought I would share. I found two of the posts. Given, i don't think either of these parents, both, worked full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keria View Post

We still have not decided, before I was pregnant I thought for sure I would CD. Now I just don't know if it's going to work. DH and I both work and we'll be taking care of newborn twins so I don't want to spend a bunch of money of something that may not work for us. I think we'll probably wait until the babies are a few months old and see if we can do it or not.
http://www.theclothdiaperwhisperer.com/2009/10/twins-double-cloth-diaper-pleasure.html

http://www.theclothdiaperwhisperer.com/2009/04/little-bit-of-organizing-and-lot-of.html

#19 ·
Thanks for those links, we have our own business and mostly work from home so that helps a little. I really want to at least give it a try mostly because I think they are too cute haha, we'll probably skip the newborn size anyways so it might be better to wait until the babies are here and see if we can do it or not.

#20 ·
we did / do with dd and will with this one.

i like prefolds but personally prefer the fitteds for the little breastfed only babes- they keep the explosive poos inside.

dd was big, so we had a few kissaluv size 0 but she could wear the 1's right from the start. we have about 12 of those with 2 xs covers and some wooly shorties i sewed from old felted sweaters.

for the next sizes up, i really like pockets. i have a big variety of them, some that people gave us (so lucky!) that i bought new inserts for.

i just really, really hope dd is done with them by then.

cloth is super easy. especially when they're tiny newborns- you don't have to rinse anything, just goes straight in the wash. i don't see honestly why people think sposies are easier. there's not much of a difference and we've never had more than 1-2 leak problems the whole entire time. we even use cloth at night- all night- and don't get her up to change her, either.

mamashannon, doublers are good things to put on a registry too, b/c they're not too expensive. we use them in our pockets as well, even now.

#21 ·
With DS #1, I didn't start CDs until he was 8 months, with DS #2, I did newborn sposies with the plan that I'd get him into OS Cloth as soon as he was big enough (with DS #1, that would have been less than 1 month, he grew so fast!). But he wasn't big enough until 3 months.

With this kiddo, I'm torn. I love using cloth, but I don't know if it's worth it to buy newborn sizes, especially since this is definitely my last child. I do have a bunch of enormous GMD green edge toddler prefolds (which will never fit my peanut DS#2) which I'm considering using to sew newborn contours and fitteds. I'd get at least 2 dozen from them. Then maybe I could knit a few wool soakers.

I will definitely buy some yellow edge prefolds, covers, and OS pockets.

This makes me sound like I'm much more crafty and ambitious than I really am
wink1.gif

#22 ·
DD is still in her cloth diapers, and will likely still be wearing at least some of them when new baby is born.

We clothed her from 6 weeks on, and used sposies for the first 6 weeks. She was tiny, and I was really wanting to focus on nursing. We'll probably use sposies for the first 6 weeks again, so I can focus on nursing instead of washing diapers.

When we started last time, I had three thirsties covers and 20 3 ply gerber organic prefolds (they are really thin, but perfect for the amount of pee she had)

We will have to see how big this baby is, but for now I will be purchasing 10 BG Flip diapers. I love them because you can put the insert in or just use them as prefolds and covers.

I already have 10 BG's, and Im buying 10 more. I have 30 prefolds and Ill buy 20 more. I think it will be plenty.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I already have 10 BG's, and Im buying 10 more. I have 30 prefolds and Ill buy 20 more. I think it will be plenty.
Not sure which BG you are planning on buying, but Cottonbabies has some good sales right now on their factory rejects. When I got mine, I couldn't even tell what the particular problems were. Usually off stitching or something minor. Oh, and some Flip covers, too.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=51

#24 ·
For all of you mamas experienced with prefolds - what kind of fold do you tend to use the most with newborns? We've used the bikini twist fold (http://diaperpages.com/bikini_twist.php) and the angel wing fold (http://diaperpages.com/angel_fold.php) with varying success. Both DS1 and DS2 have skinny legs, so it seems that poop escapes no matter what. Luckily we have great covers that contain any blowouts.

I love cloth diapering the older babies, but feel a bit tentative when it comes to cloth diapering newborns. It seems like all I'd be doing is diapering or washing/drying/folding diapers. The expense is also a consideration. Any thoughts?

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Kai View Post
What color were the edges of these? They sound PERFECT for what I need. Will keep an eye on DS for them.
They were periwinkle edge. I bought the from GMD almost three years ago and she stopped carrying them soon after, but maybe someone else sells them?

I also wanted to add for those of you who are hesitant to invest in too many orange-edge prefolds that my DD was 9.4 at birth, so we only used them for about 4-6 weeks (??? my memory is really shady here...) but once she grew out of them, I used them for burp cloths. Since DD was a major spitter-upper, I went through just about as many burp cloths as I did diapers, so I was so happy to have those ones around when she was in the yellow-edge diapers!

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkins View Post

Not sure which BG you are planning on buying, but Cottonbabies has some good sales right now on their factory rejects. When I got mine, I couldn't even tell what the particular problems were. Usually off stitching or something minor. Oh, and some Flip covers, too.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=51
truedat.gif

My best friend just bought a ton for her new babe, and couldn't even tell what was wrong with them! I'm thinking about getting a few for DH because he is not a prefold fan, but wants to change diapers in those early weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.