Your Favorite Movie Birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-26-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a troubled birth with DS and am trying to think happy thoughts about this birth. So, I thought it might be fun to list our favorite birth from a movie. If you'd like to list yours please tell us a little about it!

My favorite is from the movie Apocalypto. The main character's wife is hiding in a well after the tribe is attacked and she ends up being stuck down there for quite some time. The well fills up with water and she's holding her son (3 or 4?) up in the water and has this beautiful birth right there in the well. I just love it!

What's your favorite movie birth?

#2 of 17 Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM

Hmmmm, that's a hard one, especially since most movies and TV shows portray birth in such a scary, unrealistic way. I haven't seen the movie that you mentioned. I did, however, like the way The Office portrayed Pam's birth last season. She also succeeds in breastfeeding her daughter by the end of the episode. 

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Wife to my heartbeat.gifDHheartbeat.gif since 2002, and mama to my AMAZING little girls (2/2009 & 3/2012), a sweet little angel1.gif in heaven (3/2008) and hoping for another healthybabyf.gif 1/20/2015!    
#3 of 17 Old 08-27-2011, 03:34 PM

I like the African mother's birth at the beginning of Babies. It lacks any fear and portrays birth as a completely normal event. Pretty cool! Otherwise, I can't think of a Hollywood birth in any fictional film/tv that portrays birth as anything other than medical and beyond painful. I can think of a few other documentaries that have positive birth portrayals (titles of said movies escape me). 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#4 of 17 Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 AM

City of Man had an interesting birth sequence.  It was all sorts of wrong, but when the mother births the baby, the man says they don't need to worry about the cord/placenta right now. :thumbsup:

#5 of 17 Old 08-28-2011, 02:51 PM

I love to do a search for easy peaceful calm(insert any happy term you like here) homebirth and/or animal births and watch the videos on you tube <3 Everytime I start to get twingy about birthing, I revert back to those videos a LOT closer to the birth. It helps me to remember that it has been done millions of billions of times easily and without all the evils that most of mainstream society fousts upon the idea of birth grouphug.gif

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#6 of 17 Old 09-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Rin

I was thinking about this scene the other day! I was actually trying to tell DH about it and he had no idea what I was talking about- even though we watched it together.  :) and I though I had pregnancy brain.

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#7 of 17 Old 09-07-2011, 03:33 PM

The only one I can even think of is Knocked up... which is not cute. But as for TV births, I love Miranda's on SATC. Her water breaks on Carrie's Manolos! And then she yells at the nurse for being too "cheerleady." I also am not a hhuge fan of the idea of some stranger cheering me on so I love this!

#8 of 17 Old 09-15-2011, 04:25 PM

I love "Birth Day" and "Birth into Being". Definitely scare free, natural, birthy movies. stillheart.gif But those are actual "birth" movies not births from mainstream movies. I can't think of any that I really like that were mainstream movies...unfortunately. I guess it just wouldn't make for good blockbuster hits.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#9 of 17 Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM

I remember the old movie where they were lost/ stuck/ living on an island. The parent/ nanny died. But the boy and girl grew into mates and had a baby. She had the baby in the woods if I remember correctly. What is the name of that movie? Was a neat movie. Of course, I could have seen it 20 years ago and today may think its dumb. :)

#10 of 17 Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 AM

I really liked the birth scene in that Disney movie Spirit. Just wonderful! Also in the documentary Babies, I get misty-eyed during the scenes when the mothers are all meeting or staring at their newborns for the first time. Actually the whole movie is fantastic.

hang.gif  

#11 of 17 Old 09-21-2011, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Well my all time favorite pregnancy movie is Fools Rush In....so I guess that would be my pick for favorite movie birth. None of them are THAT realistic....they are usually just silly and over the top. Usually a little sweetness to them too, which is nice.

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 
#12 of 17 Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM

Speaking of "Babies", reminds me of the part that cracks me up. When I try to tell dh, he looks like he's trying real hard to not be confused why it's funny. He's not a Daddy yet, so in time he should get it. Anyways, you will get it though!  When it shows how the different babies spend time playing/ chilling. One babe is hanging alone with calves and goats- a hoof brushes over him, he wobbles a bit and keeps on happily. The next scene shows an American baby that is at a park playground with tons of other kids, the dad pushes her on the hill thingy and she ends up slowly toppling over into the sand. He runs panicking to save her. SO FUNNY to me! The difference is fascinating!

#13 of 17 Old 09-23-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetfiona View Post

I remember the old movie where they were lost/ stuck/ living on an island. The parent/ nanny died. But the boy and girl grew into mates and had a baby. She had the baby in the woods if I remember correctly. What is the name of that movie? Was a neat movie. Of course, I could have seen it 20 years ago and today may think its dumb. :)

Is it The Blue Lagoon or Return to the Blue Lagoon?

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#14 of 17 Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yay! I have a little list going of movies to watch now! 

I was also thinking Return to Blue Lagoon when I read mysweetfiona's reply. Is that it? I have seen it, but don't remember a birth scene. I have it on my list to re-watch it. 

Thanks ladies! Keep them coming!

#15 of 17 Old 09-25-2011, 06:48 PM

That's probably it, unless there's a similar movie from way back before I was 10. I'll have to see it just to figure what's in my memory. 

#16 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 02:43 PM

Just caught the Friends episode where Rachel/Jennifer Aniston has her baby. Uncomplicated, unmedicated, hospital breech delivery. No panic from the doctor just a focus as it will be just a bit harder to push her out. She also had a "longer" labor, but her doctor never gave her pitocin or talked csection etc. Pretty awesome for a very mainstream show and birth, and this episode is circa 2002. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#17 of 17 Old 10-01-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinsMommy0409 View Post

Just caught the Friends episode where Rachel/Jennifer Aniston has her baby. Uncomplicated, unmedicated, hospital breech delivery. No panic from the doctor just a focus as it will be just a bit harder to push her out. She also had a "longer" labor, but her doctor never gave her pitocin or talked csection etc. Pretty awesome for a very mainstream show and birth, and this episode is circa 2002. 

YES! I saw this recently, as well. I agree, it was pretty good for a hospital birth. It wasn't overly dramatic and the Dr was so calm and let her labor for SO long! 21 hours? I think? That was a good one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page