Rethinking birth center vs hospital birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ever since I started reading about natural birth when I was pg with my dd, I wanted an out of hospital birth.  With dd, we were living in an undergraduate dorm so a homebirth was out (I'm a part time RD so we have an apartment in the dorm) and the nearest birth center was 2 hours away, so we had a natural birth in the hospital with midwives.  The birth was ok but I did not like the hospital stay at all.

We're still living on campus but a new birth center opened in my town about a year ago.  I am SO excited to have that option and I have been really excited about a birth center birth.

However, this baby was a surprise (but a very exciting surprise!) and I didn't have maternity coverage.  DH is only working part time right now - he finished grad school recently and we thought this part time position would turn into a full time one but funding was cut.  So he is job hunting and we don't have benefits so we had to apply for pregnancy medicaid.

Medicaid would cover 100% of my costs if I deliver in a hospital with midwives, or they will only cover part of the cost in the birth center and we would have to pay around $1500. 

Based on our current financial situation, I am feeling guilty and like I am being irresponsible to pay $1500 for this birth when we could pay nothing.  I am SO frustrated that medicaid won't cover the birth center since I would be saving htem thousands of dollars anyway by giving birth there instead of in the hospital.

However, we do have savings/investments that could cover the $1500, and I'm expecting that DH will either find another part time job or hopefully have a full time job by the time the baby is born, so I am hopeful our financial situation will be better, but of course there are no guarantees.  My job provides us with housing, utilities, internet, phone, and an unlimited meal plan for all of us (although I do still buy and cook most of my food because the university food is pretty unhealthy).  So we really have very few monthly expenses so the $1500 wouldn't be a stretch IF my husband can find at least another part time job, but right now it would be tight.  

I guess I feel like I'm getting caught up in my hopes for an "ideal" birth and making an irresponsible financial decision when I could probably have a "decent but not great" birth in the hospital.

What do you think?  What would you do?

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#2 of 8 Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maybe I'm selfish but my feeling is I only get to birth this baby once. Getting the optimal care for baby and myself is priceless.

Legatia likes this.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#3 of 8 Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Financial "responsibility" <<< a serene, natural birth that you have (more) control over. $1500 is a totally worthwhile investment in this meaningful experience!!! I say go for it! It's the responsible thing to do; it respects your body, your baby and your wishes. That's what money is for: just a tool towards more important ends, not the end in itself.

Sorry if I'm preachy sounding. Just want to be supportive. :)

Legatia likes this.
#4 of 8 Old 08-30-2011, 03:16 PM

We are in a sort of similar situation.  Hospital birth is totally covered for us, and homebirth is totally not.  I hear what others are saying about the cost being worthwhile.  It is something you only do a few times (or maybe more!) in a lifetime.  I sure wish we could manage the cost but we just can't.  We've made peace with our decision....it helps that our hospital and care providers are very supportive of natural birthing choices.  Like you, I didn't enjoy our postpartum hospital stay, so am hoping all goes well and we can do an early discharge this time.  I'll be wanting to get home to my DD anyway.

I can't tell you what the best decision is for you, but you are not alone in making difficult choices!  hug2.gif

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#5 of 8 Old 08-30-2011, 04:30 PM

I can't believe they won't cover 100% of the birth center?! Medicaid covered mine.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 8 Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies everyone...

Medicaid covers licensed birth centers but right now in VA birth centers cannot be licensed, so they don't cover 100% of it. 

I had a midwife appointment today and I think I am doing the right thing by going to the birth center....as many of you said, birth is not something that happens often and this may be my last one (I would love one or two more but DH wants to stop at 2, so we'll see).  And we likely can afford the $1500 without too much difficulty - even with the economy the way it is, I would be really surprised if my DH can't find even another part time job by Feb.  If I don't end up delivering at the birth center though, medicaid won't pay the midwife anything so if we are struggling financially in Feb I don't think I could switch providers at the last minute because I would feel terrible.  Medicaid policies make me angry!  Actually most health insurance policies in this country are frustrating!!

1blueheron - sorry to hear you're in the same situation - I don't understand why insurance wouldn't want to save thousands of dollars by covering homebirths!  I'm glad to hear you are at peace with your decision and I hope you are able to have the birth you want at the hospital - it's great that they will be supportive of your natural birth.

sosurreal09 likes this.

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#7 of 8 Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post

1blueheron - sorry to hear you're in the same situation - I don't understand why insurance wouldn't want to save thousands of dollars by covering homebirths!  I'm glad to hear you are at peace with your decision and I hope you are able to have the birth you want at the hospital - it's great that they will be supportive of your natural birth.

It's a mystery to me too why they won't cover homebirth, but our insurance company is notorious for fighting HB claims.  And I don't think I'll be in the mood to do battle with insurers right after having a baby, though I admire people who fight that fight.  DD's birth went surprisingly well considering I had a very, very, very long labor and in many hospitals would have been sectioned for failure to progress/maternal exhaustion....instead they let me be and everything worked out in its own time.  Good luck to your DH in his job search!!

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#8 of 8 Old 09-04-2011, 08:33 PM

I so feel your pain! We've been in school FOR-E-VER, so Medicaid, all the way. The first three we had natural but in a hospital. It's very hard to consider anything else when you are in such a tight spot that you qualify for Medicaid in the first place. I mean, when you're that hard up, how do you justify an "unnecessary" expense? But with #4, he was a surprise and I really just wanted to do things my way since I really, really didn't feel ready to go through it all again (#3 was only 9 months old when I got pregnant). I was really stressing out and I pinpointed that I was stressing most about the part where we decide when to head for the hospital. I have pretty fast births but I don't want to be in the hospital any longer than I have to. So we decided to alleviate my birthing stresses and just pay out of pocket and suffer the financial consequences. Best decision we ever made! We had a homebirth and boy, did it hurt the pocketbook that year! But it was TOTALLY worth every penny! I will never consider doing it any other way! Yeah, it was a real struggle to make ends meet and my husband had to work his tail off and we really had to spend smart, but to be able to birth in my own home, have access to my own bed during the birth and during recovery, and to have my other kids there is worth any sacrifice to me! But to blueheron, I totally understand the mentality of saving yourself the financial stress and going with the free route--makes total sense and I can see how the financial stress can be a more important consideration than the birth-where-I-want stress. It also sounds like you had a great hospital experience, which is awesome! 

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page