Really starting to miss... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Beer

Blue Cheese

I've been fine up till now... but 9 months is a long time to go without.  Especially as I can find beer compromises (small glass, non-alcoholic, etc...) when the craving gets strong enough but oh how I miss blue cheese. 

Anyone else finding pregnancy restrictions chafing yet? 

ETA: having a sex drive, at all

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 AM

Red Wine - especially the last few bottles of our saskatoon wine

Subway - for some reason I desperately want the cold cut trio

Being touched and wearing a bra without getting itchy - my skin has been so sensitive.  DS2 loves to stroke either DH or I to lull himself to sleep (think of a kneading cat) but now I can't stand the sensation - it's just too much.  I've coped with wearing a sweater to bed, but it's been too hot and I end up being very uncomfortable.  Now I just use my body pillow as a barricade to block me from his touch at night.  greensad.gif

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 AM

being able to wear my regular clothes.  i don't have that much in the way of maternity clothes and they're always kind of ugly. 

being able to get jacked up on coffee.  to the point where your ears buzz.  and you can clean behind the couch.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 AM

Red wine!  DP and I used to share a nice bottle of wine on Friday nights to relax and watch movies, and I miss it.  We can still relax and watch movies, but I miss the wine. 

Old 09-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Hildare - you just made me snort.  I miss the days of being jacked up on coffee - especially since i think that was the only way I ever managed to keep up with DS1 & DS2. 

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

Old 09-08-2011, 08:36 AM

... am i really the only mama who thinks it's ok to have a beer or a glass of wine now that we're past the 1st trimester?  i had a guinness on draft the other day and it was deeeelicious.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

No!  I have no problem with drinking lightly after the 1st trimester (no half growler for me though :).  I just wasn't missing beer until now.  And, now I am really missing it.  Hildare - Your guinness comment made my mouth water.    And, your coffee comment cracked me up.  My 2 cups of half caf are pretty lame.

Zakdat - I spend half the night removing DD's hands from my body.  I can't stand to be touched these days.  I'm itchy, I'm achy and being petted gives me the creepy crawlies. 

Does anyone want to argue that blue cheese is ok?  I'd love to be persuaded! 

Old 09-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

... am i really the only mama who thinks it's ok to have a beer or a glass of wine now that we're past the 1st trimester?  i had a guinness on draft the other day and it was deeeelicious.

My problem is that I don't just want one glass!  orngbiggrin.gif

As far as getting jacked up on coffee - I miss being able to have a full cup of coffee without feeling jacked up.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Shoot!  I've been eating blue cheese all along because I didn't think it was bad! I thought it was just brie and the like. Oh well. Although the only time I eat it is cooked in mashed potatoes (delicious!), so that would kill anything right?  Sigh. 

I miss wine and beer with dinner. Desperately.  I'm waiting until the third trimester, and then I will allow myself half a glass once a week or something.  But I can't wait!  It's funny, I also cut way down when we started trying to conceive, and it wasn't a problem. But now that I KNOW I can't have, I desperately want it.  Especially with Italian food or Indian food. I also miss a nice Vodka Martini, but that will have to wait a lot longer. 

Yeah, and finding something easy to eat for lunch, since I can't just bring in a sandwich and I tend to eat all the servings from dinner rather than save any for leftovers. 

And wanting sex.  Me too. shake.gif

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 AM

I'm missing wine... I will occasionally have a small glass in the third trimester....but am really missing having a nice supper with DH after DD is in bed with a bottle of wine....awhhhhh

But other than that I eat cold cuts, any cheese, sushi.....

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsley View Post

Does anyone want to argue that blue cheese is ok?  I'd love to be persuaded! 

I will.  I eat most kinds of soft and raw cheeses after doing some research last time around.  Listeria is vanishingly rare - like 2-3 cases/million people.  Yes, consequences can be drastic, but cases have been reported from eating not just soft cheese and lunch meat but also raw veg (I think it was mushrooms?), pasteurized but subsequently contaminated milk, coleslaw, etc.  

I decided that it's just such a small risk that I refuse to worry about it, although I do avoid queso fresco and in general try to eat food from clean high quality sources.  I also do eat oysters and sushi (not the mercury-laden fish, so alas no tuna), but I don't do alcohol (mostly because I don't metabolize it all that well).  I also sleep on my back without worrying about it!!  So maybe I'm just a reckless pregnant lady.  smile.gif

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 AM

So someone tell me about sushi... I read the danger is that if you as the mama gets sick, that could hurt the baby... just wondering. I didn't touch it at all with DD but with this pregnancy I can't stop thinking about it and my birthday is in a couple weeks and I'm going to sushi but planning on vegi stuff... whatcha think?

As for wine and beer: MISS MISS MISS!!!!! I know I wouldn't want just a taste though in the third trimester, I'm sure that's exactly what I'll have. I have a bottle I can't wait to open. Problem is, I hate for it to go to waste and don't want to open it till I can enjoy the whole thing within a couple of days. Last pregnancy I had wine almost every night when I was 2 weeks late... trying to relax and it tasted sooooooo good. I don't know. This pregnancy I'm just holding off as long as I can. The feeling of drinking, the relaxation of it, the way it winds down and rounds out the day... aaauuuggghhh.

I want sex... but by the end of the day I'm tired and don't want to be touched... SAD.

And I miss sleeping on my stomach... that just ended recently. :(

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:21 AM

treerose!  you need THIS!  or something like it.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 AM

I think what we choose to eat and drink is all about assessing the real risk of those foods and drinks. For example, we know Japanese women continue to eat raw fish throughout their pregnancy and European women will drink in moderation as well. I'm far more likely to suffer an accidental fall or car accident while pregnant or other natural pregnancy complications than I am to get listeria or other illnesses from soft cheeses, deli meat, or raw fish.

I don't take unnecessary risks but just appropriate risks, because I feel that if I didn't that I also wouldn't ride/drive a car or walk around my tiled bathroom. I don't live in fear and don't want my child too either so assessing real risk is important to me. I respect other's choice to refrain from those things, mainly because I understand that increased anxiety can be unhealthy as well. 

As for what I miss: I miss foods smelling and tasting normal rather than this enhanced wonderful or enhanced awful smell. I also miss not getting hypoglycemic every 2-3 hours. I realize why I gain so much weight while pregnant as my body is constantly telling me to eat every 3 hours at maximum. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

Old 09-08-2011, 11:14 AM

I will have an occasional beer, but the problem is that when I have beer, I want to smoke the occasional cigarette. And that option is completely off the table, so.....

Right now, all I want in the world is a pumpkin beer and a clove cigarette. Its my fall tradition. Sit around a bonfire, possibly have a mason jar of bourbon being passed around...

I didnt miss drinking at all until today. Its cold and my friends are having a potluck with a bonfire and I know I will be ready to go home for bed at 9:00. Boo.

Other than that, I have really only cut out caffeine.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 AM

Wine and beer, I know a little it's ok but DH does not drink and is not comfortable with me having a glass. It's a small sacrifice that I'm willing to do. Other than that I eat soft cheeses cold cuts and sushi.

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 AM

Keria - my DH is the same about drinking so it's not worth it. However, I'm leaning towards the sushi for my birthday!!!!

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

Old 09-09-2011, 05:32 AM

Hildare, that's awesome! I saw on WOOT! the other day a wine decanter with a vacuum stopper - sooooo tempting! :)

And Adeline's Mama, I feel the same way about drinking and the occasional smoke. I "quit" smoking a long time ago but even when DD was older I would sneak out once a week or so for one in the cool morning hours when I had a break or with a glass of wine in the evening, especially if I was with someone who smoked... That's not an option at all but I tell you when I most want to smoke is after a doctor's appointment or blood draw (shudder)!!!!!   Hang in there! Almost halfway. :)

Old 09-09-2011, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

The thing I miss most is my energy!  I'm a lot less exhausted than the first trimester but still tired most of the time.

I miss wearing my regular clothes and having more options about what to wear...I borrowed a bunch of maternity clothes with my DD and don't have too many right now.

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

Old 09-09-2011, 12:05 PM

I totally drink a glass of wine or beer every now and again - what I miss is drinking HALF A BOTTLE of wine and getting a buzz, haha

Old 09-11-2011, 05:56 PM

I eat subway and get it toasted so it cooks the cold cuts, but I've also eaten cold cuts not cooked. I also eat sushi, but avoid tuna (I think, DH has a list of fish that I can't eat in his head).

Lately a cold beer has been sounding so good. I'll have one in the 3rd trimester but abstaining for now - craving isn't that strong anyways.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM

I miss looong HOT baths. I love to get in a bath at just-below-scalding temp and stay until it gets cold. Alas, waaay too warm for babe.

And hopefully my MIA sex drive reappears at some point...

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

Old 09-12-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

It's funny how each of us has our own particular things we avoid but also things we're ok with.  Curiouscanadian- I take long and steaming baths and have no fear.  When pregnant with DD, I sometimes took them for hours at a time (plenty of hot water in my apartment building back then, not so for my house!).  

But, I was totally encouraged and assured by comments here about cheese so I went to the store to buy some blue cheese (dolce gorgonzola was my particular hankering) and I just couldn't do it.  I was mentally convinced but a seed of fear lingered.  Maybe I'll get over it or maybe I'll hold out and end up eating blue cheese 5x a day after the baby's born.  (You can't imagine how much blue cheese I ate after DD was born!)

Beer, the urge receeded and now I have a cold and don't want anything to make me sleepier, but the only thing preventing me at this point is that there isn't any around.  (DH very nicely stopped buying it when I got pregnant.)  For those of you who feel some fear about drinking at this point in pregnancy, what about non-alcoholic beer?  I've had that a few times at bbqs and restaurants and it hit the spot even if it was more like a light lager than a great IPA. 

Old 09-12-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Curiouscanadian- I take long and steaming baths and have no fear.  When pregnant with DD, I sometimes took them for hours at a time (plenty of hot water in my apartment building back then, not so for my house!).

I just know how high my own body temperature gets, and I'm not comfortable exposing the babe to it. But you're right - we each seem to have different things we avoid!

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Rin

Mmmmmmm. Guinness on draft sounds soooooo good Hildare! I think its okay, but I'm not brave enough to dive in head first just yet, i think I'll wait until the third trimester when I can't sleep.  I have occasionally been drinking a brand called Kaliber that is a non-alcoholic variety put out by the makers of Guiness.http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/209/5333   It's an okay substitute, but sometimes you just want a beer, and a warm fuzzy buzz. :) What I really want is wine, all kinds of wine, any kind of wine, chilled, room temp, bubbly- doesn't matter.

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 09-13-2011, 08:59 AM

having energy!!!! I'm so tired all the time!!!!!! :( Really missing my early morning, mid morning, and afternoon cups of full-strength, sometimes extra shot of espresso coffee. Never realized how addicted I was until I had to cut back so drastically :( Plus I guess growing a whole new person is more tiring than I expected.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

So, Hildare, I've been thinking about this.  What happened when you ordered that draft beer at a restaurant or bar while visibly pregnant?  Did the bartender or waiter freak out?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:

So, Hildare, I've been thinking about this.  What happened when you ordered that draft beer at a restaurant or bar while visibly pregnant?  Did the bartender or waiter freak out?

I've been in restaurants where diners at nearby tables shot me dagger-eyes when I was served a MOCKTAIL.  And had a (young) waitress ask me three times if I was sure I didn't want decaf?!!  (loudly, and in front of all of DH's coworkers!)  LOL.  But yeah, I'm curious to know what reactions you've gotten when ordering a real drink for yourself when pregnant.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscanadian View Post

Quote:

I just know how high my own body temperature gets, and I'm not comfortable exposing the babe to it. But you're right - we each seem to have different things we avoid!

I'm the same way about a hot bath. However, I can barely tolerate a hot shower myself right now so a steaming hot bath doesn't appeal to me. My BBT this pregnancy is a degree higher than it was with my last pregnancy. I'm so much more heat intolerant this time too. I can't shower with DH otherwise he ends up shivering. LOL

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 PM

hehe... i was at a "cool" place.. i also kind of just look mean, i guess.  nobody dared say anything or even look at me dirty.  plus, dd is obviously bright enough and a handful, and was running around (biergarten/courtyard), so i imagine people were like.. yeah, i'd drink too.  and.. yes, i went to a bar, pregnant, with our toddler... (there were actually other kids there-- this particular bar sets out bowls of pretzels AND gummi bears.  the kids were all cranked up on gummis- it was actually dd's first candy experience, ever)  and i had only ONE beer.  plus, everybody and their cousin knows dh, which sounds nice but in reality is kind of annoying.  that was actually a pretty fun night for all of us.

User Tag List