Name Lists Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 09-13-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since DH and I have a history of arguing for months on boy names, we have decided to make a list of names by me picking out a bunch of names, putting them on a list,and then having him cross off the ones that he immediately looks at and thinks "no way!" When we reach 100 names (of names that he hasnt scratched and that I came up with) we will then begin picking through them together. But ONLY after we have 100 possibilities. This is to avoid comments from me like "Well, you come up with some then" and form him like "You say no to everything cool." (Ps.this is not true.). Id love additional name suggestions, as well as feed back on our final selections once we have gotten there. I will keep this list pretty updated so that I can keep track of all the names we came up with, and watch them get scratched out. Just to clarify, I could be persuaded to use any of these names, its DH that is doing the crossing off for now.

So, if you have a name list going, and would like to keep track of it here, post yours below.

Giles
Alder
Ansley
Baron
Niles
Anson
Ethan
Hickory
Barnum
Ford
Wonder
Celtis
Locust
Clemens
Cypress
Chaplin
Huck
Banjo
Saffron
Alcott
Emerson
Langston
Salinger
Holden
Alden
Cotton
Elias
Gideon
Roscoe
Sheldon
Saison
Alzata
Cedar
Keaton
Easton
Nolan
Jeston
Marvel
Hudson
Floyd
Upton
Conway
Abraham
Adian
Alastair
Alston
Axel
Benjamin
Catcus
Davidson
Quixote
Farris
Gavin
Garrison
Horton
Huxley
Silas
Diesel
Fischer
Linus
Jasper
Ethan
Hadley
Everett
Pippin
Paxton greensad.gif so sad. someone please use this name.
Hawthorne
Aslan
Arthur
Simon
Ansel
Oliver
Xander This would have sounded SO cool with our last name.
Max
Captain
Malcom
Darron
Alexander
Samuel
Percy
Calvin
Buckley
Charles (Charlie)
Jack
Caleb
Mason
Colton
Maddox I love this one, but DH said Marvel beat it out, which i prefer too.
Rory
Felix
Arlo
Otis
Oak
Walker
Jax
Ryland
starling
Swain
Tristan
Walden
August
Guthrie
Buffalo
Idelwylde
Atticus
Ashton
Byron
[Keegan
Kenton (DH's middle name)
Weston
Yannis
Dock
Baxter
Chandler
Keeler
Thatcher
Whitman
Cannon
Baldwin
Wendell
Noam
Horace
Teague
Wilson

Its getting narrowed down....I think there are only 30 non scratched names!

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 32 Old 09-13-2011, 12:58 PM

We don't have a name list going, but part of me feels like I should have some backup names in case baby arrives and the name just doesn't suit. We also don't know the sex yet.

Boy Name: 

Kruger Daniel 

Kruger is a family name that comes from Stephanus Johannes Paulus Kruger, leader during the Boer Wars. Daniel is also a family name (DH's middle, my brother's middle, and my long-deceased father's brother).

My son's name is Odin Timothy. Odin after the chief god of Norse mythology (aka Thor's father). Timothy after my dad plus like the meaning.

Boy Names I Like:

Sebastian

Simon

Stuart

Griffin

Orion

Maddox

Girls Name:

Poppy Muse honors both grandmothers. Poppy for my red-headed mother. Muse my MIL's maiden name. 

Girls Names I Like:

(blank)

I guess I should do a little more name searching for back up and edit our list. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#3 of 32 Old 09-13-2011, 02:28 PM

1 or 3 syllable middle name for Maelee. (yay! I wanted Myla or Maelee. So glad he likes 50%o of my name list!)

But wowsers, how challenging to find that middle one!

Maelee

Brooke

Sophia

Rose

Gwen

Wren

eeeehhhh....Really stuck. Maybe I should give it a rest until it appears. blahblah.gif

#4 of 32 Old 09-13-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Is Fiona your name? Its three syllables...and so pretty.

If I gave DH a list of 2 names, and he liked 50% I'd be elated. I love Charles Paxton (he would be called Charlie, which is a family name that we both pretty much envision being the kids first name). Getting DH to look at a name book, movie credits, book spines, or anything to help him come up with names is SO hard. I dont know how else to ask him to suggest anything. When ever I ask he just says "I dont know, we'll think of something." Last time he literally put off the discussion until I was nine months pregnant and then suggested Boone and Briar. Thats all. And I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I was told that she was a girl. We had decided on Adaline early on, because he wouldnt go for Coraline (and, after seeing the movie its more understandable to me.) I wish a name would just appear for us, but since DH is blank on names I dont think thats how it will go. He told me that if I could come up with 100 names that we both didnt automatically veto he was sure we could come up with something. I hope so....

His request is one uncommon/weird name, one normal name.
My response to that: First name has to be the normal name.

My front runners for first names:
Charles
Jack
Silas
Samuel
Max

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 32 Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 PM

We're pretty set on Nolan for our boy, but I'm trying to put together a few others incase we decide it doesn't fit when he arrives.  Dp hates most names that I suggest though, so our list is painfully short.  Hopefully I can add a few more! 

Short list:

Nolan

Evan 

Carson

I also love the name Tristan, but DP HATES it.  

#6 of 32 Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

I like Nolan. I love Tristan, but my DH vetoed that one last time.

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 32 Old 09-13-2011, 07:44 PM

Awe. Thanks! Fiona Aveleen is my dd name. She is a redheaded sweet beautiful 7 yr old girl, too. I actually thought about using her name, but idk.

Nolan is a great name!

We chose Smithy for a boy. It's not a top choice, but for us it was THE one. If you or your hubby likes to bend metal/ metal fab, then it may fit for you. :) (fat chance, huh) lol

#8 of 32 Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 PM

And, WOW I didn't think to watch movie credits for name ideas! How much easier is that than scanning websites of foreign-hard-to-pronounce names.

I read a list lastnight, and I kid you not, the category was Modern Names. The first name was Apple. lol.gif I had a good giggle. With a start like Apple you could imagine what else made the list.

My fav Boy list

Nicolas

Connor

Smithy

Dayton

Sam

Alex

Seth

Cavan (ds 2) It means Handsome one. He likes it, and he doesn't mind saying "No not Kevin, CAVan" Captain Cavan of Ireland.....

Brandon (ds 1)

#9 of 32 Old 09-13-2011, 08:01 PM

We've had our girl name picked out for months, since before I got pregnant. It's Seraphina Louise. Louise is his grandmothers name.

As if today, our top boy names are Zenith or Zeno with the middle name Quinton. Quinton was his grandfathers name. I want to do 2 middle names but DH says it makes us sound like snobs. I might convince him of that, since both middle names are from his family and that's not fair. smile.gif He has an overblown sense of fairness, and I can usually 'win' a discussion if I appeal to that. Thankfully, he usually likes the names I suggest, as long as they're not too bizarre. I hate the names he suggests though. I'm not a fan of traditional names at all.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#10 of 32 Old 09-14-2011, 09:49 AM

Gah.  So, we still haven't agreed on one name.  Hubby wants to name the baby Amelia, and call her Amy (after Amy Pond on Dr who).  I would rather just name her Amy :shrug.  We haven't gotten around to boy names yet :lol.  oct  is my ultrasound date.  Maybe the sex will motivate us.

#11 of 32 Old 09-14-2011, 10:50 AM

oh my gosh we are not even CLOSE to agreeing (or even thinking much about) a name.  I have to get on that!

#12 of 32 Old 09-15-2011, 05:01 AM

We're having a bit of a rough time coming up with ~the~ name for our little boy.  Girl name - so easy.  Boy name - running out of inspiration.  After we found out that we could expect another little boy, DH said to me, "I guess we'd better hope they'll be little hunters so we can keep enough meat in the freezer."  That inspired the thought of Hunter David Kadatz (don't stalk me orngbiggrin.gif) as a name - David for my paternal grandfather and also because we seem to have a bit of a biblical theme going with our kidlets.

Any thoughts?

Right of Passage likes this.

Baby on my hip, preschooler on my lap, kindergartener climbing my back, bird on my shoulder, dog at my feet, DH holding us all together.  love.gif

stork-suprise.gif arriving Jun 2014

#13 of 32 Old 09-16-2011, 09:02 AM

zakdat- there are lots of "hunter" related names....I think you can find a good one with that inspiration. Hunter is cute too. ( I like this, but my father in law is a hunter, so it's too much for us! I was surprised when DH said no.)  There is also Archer, or  Orion means "mighty hunter"  and you could search for others with same meaning.    

Mom to DD born 12/2007  and a babyf.gifon the way February 2012

#14 of 32 Old 09-16-2011, 11:36 AM

i like Hunter but there are LOTS of them it seems, at least where we live...  you could look in other languages for a variation?  i do like it though.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#15 of 32 Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetfiona View Post

And, WOW I didn't think to watch movie credits for name ideas! How much easier is that than scanning websites of foreign-hard-to-pronounce names.

I dont sit around watching movie credits for fun or anything, but instead of leaving the theater (or turning off the tv) I just go ahead and watch the credits too. Here are the other places Ive found to look:

Social Security list from previous years (it goes back to 1850 in the social security website)
books spines at the library or bookstore- just reminds me of what the book is, who is in it and the character names.
newspapers and magazines- instead of just reading the article, I always look to see the name of the person who wrote it.
phone book - in the yellow pages Ive looked at all the doctors and dentists names because I was looking up numbers in that section.

In general, looking for new names just makes me pay attention to everything more.

SIDS happens. 

#16 of 32 Old 09-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Well, we found out baby is a BOY!!! And, this baby definitely does not fit the name DH had picked out and I thought I liked so we're back to square one with names. So, he really gets to name the baby while I get to agree, but I've been making a list anyways and running names passed him. 

My list, which will be easy to dwindle for me:

Oscar 

Sebastian 

Easton

Silas

Bodhi

Oliver

Grady/Grayden

Ezra

Porter

Jude

Myles

Fisher

Cohen

His list, which is basically a few names he likes then names I like and suggested:

Landon*

Roscoe

Puck*

Tad*

Bryson

Dexter

Simon

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#17 of 32 Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 PM

I'm so impressed...we didn't decide on dd's name until after she was born.  My DH is from Kenya, so we want to give one Kenyan name and one English name.  In his culture, our first son and daughter would be named after his parents and the second son and daughter after my parents.  WIth my dd we gave her my mother in law's kenyan name and chose an English name we liked.

If this baby is a girl, I would love to name her after my mom according to DH's culture BUT I don't like "double letter names" where both first and last names start with the same letter.  My mom's name is Marsha and our last name begins with M.  I also think Marsha is too dated, I have never met a little Marsha.  My moms middle name is Idesta, maiden name is Sinn.  She's not giving me much to work with!!!

I thought maybe we would just find a Kenyan name we like and call her by her kenyan name, then middle name Marsha.  I love the name Amina but it's not from my husband's ethnic group and it's a traditionally Muslim name.  In the US nobody would know the difference, but in Kenya the name wouldn't fit her identity.  It would be like naming a little white girl latoya or kanisha - being multicultural will lead to enough confusion about "what" she is so I'm hesitant to give her a name that would add to the confusion.

Oh well, maybe this little one will be a boy and we won't have to worry about it!

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#18 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 08:56 AM

We are waiting to be surprised about the gender so we want to have a few choices and then pick when we meet the babe. Girl names have been SO tough for us, we don't like anything despite tons of research and we rarely like the same girl names. Boys were easy, we had them more or less lined up before we even got pregnant!

Asher Gabriel - current fave, honors my brother who will be a godfather to the baby

Caleb Joseph - Joseph was DH's grandfather, but I don't want my kid to be called CJ so we are considering Dylan and Damien instead for middle names

Isaiah Joseph

Helena Madeline - I like Helena Michal (pronounced the Hebrew way, Michael is DH's middle name so I like that connection but he doesn't) better, so middle name is still up in the air. We might use Leni or Lanie for short. Helena honors both of my maternal great-grandmothers who were amazing women

Leila Madeline - would honor my other brother

I have an extremely unusual name but DH prefers more mainstream names so we are trying to find the right balance with names we love that also draw on our family traditions. Still waiting for more girl name inspiration to strike....

#19 of 32 Old 09-17-2011, 05:38 PM

I need to join this thread - DH and I CANNOT agree on names at all and it's so frustrating!!! I have to automatically veto a lot of names I like because they remind me of students (I'm a teacher), and I'm not a fan of DH's "boring" name choices. It took us FOREVER to agree on DS's name . . . . .

Here's my current list (we aren't finding out the sex, so we need one of each):

Mira (my top choice so far)

Celia

Cora (on the fence about this one)

Lila

Iris

Stella

Joel (love it, but DH isn't a fan - grrrrr)

Eli/Elias

Noah

Simon

Finn

femalesling.GIF to my DS and belly.gifwith baby #2 (due 2/2012)

#20 of 32 Old 09-18-2011, 08:13 AM

DDCC.  A cool alternate spelling for Maelee is Meili.  Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetfiona View Post

1 or 3 syllable middle name for Maelee. (yay! I wanted Myla or Maelee. So glad he likes 50%o of my name list!)

But wowsers, how challenging to find that middle one!

Maelee

Brooke

Sophia

Rose

Gwen

Wren

eeeehhhh....Really stuck. Maybe I should give it a rest until it appears. blahblah.gif

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#21 of 32 Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 PM

caedenmomma-  I can see with that spelling, living here in the South, she would have to clarify it at every opportunity it was spelled or called. I can hear it now... ME lee?  MY lee? Then, they would just move on to mispronounce her last name too. :D

#22 of 32 Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 AM

Well we should be naming our twin boys after their family legacy. One would be the 8th Nicholai and the other the 5th Giovanni. Those will probably end up as middle names.

We currently call the babies:

Dahlia (Baby A) - Tripp (Baby B) and Chase (Baby C)

#23 of 32 Old 09-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Is Fiona your name? Its three syllables...and so pretty.

If I gave DH a list of 2 names, and he liked 50% I'd be elated. I love Charles Paxton (he would be called Charlie, which is a family name that we both pretty much envision being the kids first name). Getting DH to look at a name book, movie credits, book spines, or anything to help him come up with names is SO hard. I dont know how else to ask him to suggest anything. When ever I ask he just says "I dont know, we'll think of something." Last time he literally put off the discussion until I was nine months pregnant and then suggested Boone and Briar. Thats all. And I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I was told that she was a girl. We had decided on Adaline early on, because he wouldnt go for Coraline (and, after seeing the movie its more understandable to me.) I wish a name would just appear for us, but since DH is blank on names I dont think thats how it will go. He told me that if I could come up with 100 names that we both didnt automatically veto he was sure we could come up with something. I hope so....

His request is one uncommon/weird name, one normal name.
My response to that: First name has to be the normal name.

My front runners for first names:
Charles
Jack
Silas
Samuel
Max

DS is Jack and Silas is on my list for #2:) Good taste!

I'm lucky, DH doesn't have to agree since he named DS, both first and middle (after him, both family names, tradition), so it's my turn;)

We don't know what we're having and my top choices are

Daisy (middle, Faith, Prayer, I dunno, I wanted something biblical)

Atreyu (middle, once again biblical, Silas?)

Middles have yet to be decided, obviously. I'm also not set on these names in case babe comes and it just doesn't fit. So I have tons of girl backups, but not as many boys. Girl names are so easy, i have lots of favorites, maybe it'll be a boy and we won't have to worry about it! 

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#24 of 32 Old 09-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfette2 View Post

Well we should be naming our twin boys after their family legacy. One would be the 8th Nicholai and the other the 5th Giovanni. Those will probably end up as middle names.

We currently call the babies:

Dahlia (Baby A) - Tripp (Baby B) and Chase (Baby C)

So are you having triplets? I ask b/c your siggie says twins?

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#25 of 32 Old 01-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Rin

I'm 38 weeks today. We don't know what we're having so naming this child hasn't been easy!

Tonight we finally decided on what will probably be our childs name.

If its a girl:

Nella Grace

If its a boy:

Isaac Shea

I say probably because we ended up changing our mind with my son after we saw his sweet face for the first time!

It feels good to sort of have some type of idea though!

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#26 of 32 Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 PM

Anyone else have NO IDEA what they are naming their baby? We are having a girl and I just can't seem to find something that I love... sigh....

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#27 of 32 Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post

Anyone else have NO IDEA what they are naming their baby? We are having a girl and I just can't seem to find something that I love... sigh....

Here!  Not a clue.  We don't know what we are having, and we have a list of both boy and girl names that are "ok,"  but nothing that is jumping out as those ones.  Hoping that when the baby arrives, we will just 'know' what his/her name is.  That happened with our son...no name going in, but once he was born and we say him, his name just came to us.

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#28 of 32 Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 AM

We have a first name, but are completely clueless as to what the middle name is going to be.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#29 of 32 Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 AM

I was getting so frustrated with boy names(still set on the girl name!) that I had to give the responsibility over to DH. We're set now!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#30 of 32 Old 01-22-2012, 12:47 PM

We have had a boy name picked out from the very beginning, but girl names are a bit harder this time. DH hasn't given me any ideas at all, but doesn't really like the two girls names I have in my head. Our boy name is Issac Marshall and I like Coraline and Teagan so far, when it comes to girl names. With our first child we had not agreed on a name either. As soon as he was born, I said to DH it's Asher or Lyric? He said he liked Asher better, there was no arguing at that point since he had just watched me labor for 15 hours. With our daughter Evangeline we had it picked out long in advance. I'm sure this baby will be a girl since we haven't agreed on a name yet. We will do the wait and see approach again, I guess whistling.gif

Happily married since '06 joy.gif SAHM to DS biggrinbounce.gif Asher born April of '08 and DD energy.gifEvangeline born April of '09. Expecting stork-suprise.gif and planning our first h20homebirth.gif in February of 2012.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page