Mothering Forum banner

silly milestone

893 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  curiouscanadian 
#1 ·
I am 19 weeks today and experienced an unexpected, silly milestone today. I take public transit to work, and this morning a kind soul offered me their seat on the bus. I'm far from feeling like I *need* to sit (it's only a ~20 min ride) but it is fun to finally be at a stage in pregnancy where the rest of the world sees me as a pregnant lady (as opposed to "maybe she's just been hitting the candy aisle a little hard"). Plus it's nice to experience the kindness and generosity of strangers.

Anyone else experiencing fun/unexpected milestones like this?

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver sarah View Post

I am 19 weeks today and experienced an unexpected, silly milestone today. I take public transit to work, and this morning a kind soul offered me their seat on the bus. I'm far from feeling like I *need* to sit (it's only a ~20 min ride) but it is fun to finally be at a stage in pregnancy where the rest of the world sees me at a pregnant lady (as opposed to "maybe she's just been hitting the candy aisle a little hard"). Plus it's nice to experience the kindness and generosity of strangers.

Anyone else experiencing fun/unexpected milestones like this?
Cute!

I went shopping yesterday and the salesguy at a shoe store I was in asked me if I knew if I was having a boy or a girl, which was the first time anyone has publicly acknowledged my pregnancy. Now, it may have been the bag I carrying from a nearby maternity store that tipped him off, but I like to think it was my belly
winky.gif

#4 ·
I FINALLY had a few people mention or ask about my pg - I've felt like I've been looking pregnant for a while now, but apparently not enough for people to feel confident asking or commenting! The grocery cashier said something yesterday and then two people asked me today if I was pregnant. YAY! I hate that phase of just looking like I've been drinking too much beer :)

#5 ·
I call the beer belly phase the "is she fat or pregnant" stage, and I just got out of it. A coworker yesterday asked when I was due because he noticed my belly. I was surprised he could tell even though I was sitting down.

#6 ·
At the deli, this lady started chatting. I noticed her glancing at my belly a half dozen times. I just let her struggle, figured she could speak up if sure enough. But, she said instead, kinda beating around the bush... Is she your only child (speaking of dd)? That's when I was sure she was not sure, but bold enough to find out. I was pleased. So, I answered, no she has 2 brothers and we're expecting another. I live in a "big people sate" It can be very difficult to tell unless you know a person that she's pregnant.

That's my first public experience with a stranger. Pretty fun, I have to admit!

#7 ·
I was getting water at the water fountain in a busy hallway at work and one student kept looking back at my stomach. I was wearing a pretty baggy outfit. But, It's also pretty unusual to see pregnant women on campus and you could tell she was wondering but not quite sure enough to say anything.

Hah! I keep telling DD that I"m big now but soon I'll be enormous!

#10 ·
Today was the 1st time someone, a stranger, said something about my baby bump. I was feeling pretty good in my maternity clothes today too. And THEN....she asked how many months I am. I said 5 and she said "Ooooh you're big! Are you having twins!?!" Grrrrreeaaat. I know I have an obvious bump but seriously! Twins!? Has she never been pregnant? Probably not. I'm really really trying to not let it bother me. I have been waiting for someone to say something or notice. Even an awkward belly rub would have been better than that. Ugh. So I took my lGreek salad and lemonade and waddled/stormed off. hahahahaaaaa. Must have looked pretty funny.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyJeanneBee View Post

Today was the 1st time someone, a stranger, said something about my baby bump. I was feeling pretty good in my maternity clothes today too. And THEN....she asked how many months I am. I said 5 and she said "Ooooh you're big! Are you having twins!?!" Grrrrreeaaat. I know I have an obvious bump but seriously! Twins!? Has she never been pregnant? Probably not. I'm really really trying to not let it bother me. I have been waiting for someone to say something or notice. Even an awkward belly rub would have been better than that. Ugh. So I took my lGreek salad and lemonade and waddled/stormed off. hahahahaaaaa. Must have looked pretty funny.
Still nicer than people making comments like "Oh! You're ready to pop!"
angry.gif
And then I'm like, "No, I'm only 22 weeks STOOPID!"

To be fair I am ALL belly and I look to be about 7 months. After 7 months, even to an experienced mom, most pregnancies look the same. So I understand the "pop anyday" comments but they just get old really, really fast.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfette2 View Post

Still nicer than people making comments like "Oh! You're ready to pop!"
angry.gif
And then I'm like, "No, I'm only 22 weeks STOOPID!"

To be fair I am ALL belly and I look to be about 7 months. After 7 months, even to an experienced mom, most pregnancies look the same. So I understand the "pop anyday" comments but they just get old really, really fast.
Yes, I'm 21 weeks and all belly too. Plus, I'm only 5 feet 0'' so I think the belly really does stick out. I keep thinking, "damn, what will they say when I AM 7 or 8 months!?"

Haven't they ever read this blog article- Things never to say to a pregnant woman:

http://pregnantchicken.squarespace.com/pregnant-chicken-blog/2010/4/15/10-things-to-never-say-to-a-pregnant-woman.html

Smurfette, if you want some funny comebacks check this out: HILARIOUS!! http://pregnantchicken.squarespace.com/pregnant-chicken-blog/2011/1/15/clever-pregnancy-comebacks-part-one.html

Be warned, she's a bit vulgar at times. I love her. Makes me temporarily forget my sore round ligaments and swollen wrists.
ROTFLMAO.gif

#14 ·
Hit a different kind of silly milestone today. I was wearing my 18mo. dayhome kiddo and bent down to get something for my 3yo. Getting down was fine. Getting up??? A whole different story altogether! lol Good thing there was a shelf nearby I could use to pull myself up with! Guess I'm going to have to give up the babywearing or remember not to bend down anymore with him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.