still cosleeping with your other kid/kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-28-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have almost given up.  i have no idea what we'll do when the baby gets here.

dh keeps saying he doesn't want to bedshare with this one... but that's kind of too bad, for a while at least.  i told him we could end up with a good sleeper this time. 

i love cuddling with dd, though.  i would miss it too much, and she's not interested in sleeping by herself much, though her desire to do this comes and goes in spurts.

she IS using the potty though.  which makes me extremely happy.

anybody else still bedsharing?  are you planning on making changes? 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#2 of 9 Old 09-28-2011, 06:23 AM

We are still bedsharing and I don't see how anything is going to change in the next couple of months. 

About 9 months ago we got DD to go to sleep in her own room (with me in bed with her and then DH sleeping on the floor when he goes to bed later) until she wakes up the first time and then she comes in to my bed (with DH carrying her in).  Originally I hoped this would mean she would stay in her bed for 6-8 hours a night.  Happens sometimes, but rarely.  These days, she's in my bed by 11 or 12 and cuddled up to me for the rest of the night. 

I'm feeling frustrated about it today as DD has been sleeping terribly-- nursing 3-4 times a night, sharing my pillow, holding on to me, etc... and I really want my space!  But, I don't really want to change the overall configuration.  I just want her to stay asleep for more than 3 hours! 

My plan at this point is when the baby comes, I'll sleep in the middle with a kid on each side.  DH can sleep on the floor or in DD's room.  My dream is that DD will sleep in her own bed until early morning and just come in to cuddle for  few hours and the baby (wow DD2!) will sleep in the co-sleeper.  But, I"m preparing for the worst. 

You know, I read this and think poor DH about being kicked out of his bed but the man has NEVER gotten DD to go to sleep.  He's tried and tried hard but without the up-baba's (nursing) it's always been hopeless.  So, I'm wondering if he's the lucky one.  He doesn't always get to sleep in a bed but he gets to sleep!

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#3 of 9 Old 09-28-2011, 07:31 AM

We're figuring it out too. We never got DS2 transitioned into his own bed before DS3 came so we did bedsharing with both of them. Now we seemed to have transitioned DS2 to a little bed next to ours, most nights he's there all night, sometimes he'll even sleep in his room, but aboiut once every 2 weeks he still ends up in our bed. DS3 will spend half the night sleeping with DS2 in the little bed then he needs to snuggle. We haven't night nursed in weeks (thank goodness!) so that makes it a bit easier for him to sleep not next to me but at some point he just NEEDS mama arms :') such a sweet little person. Baby4 will sleep with us without a doubt, it's worked for 3 other kids.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#4 of 9 Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM

We are figuring this one out too. My 3 year old always sleeps with us and my 7 year old usually finds his way into the bed by morning. Right now one is on one side and the other is on the other...since I only have 2 sides...I know it will work out. Thankfully we have a king size bed! :)

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#5 of 9 Old 09-28-2011, 06:22 PM

I am also trying to figure this out!

DD sleeps in her own room, but she wakes up at some point in the night and I go sleep with her for the rest of the night.  She is almost three and has slept all night less than 5 times in her life.

We only have a queen bed but we have an arms reach cosleeper, so I'm hoping that will give us a little more room for at least the first few months.  I'm hoping DD will be sleeping through the night more consistently by the time this baby comes but if  not, I'm planning to bring her in our bed when she wakes up instead of sleeping with her and just having one baby on each side.  I'll plan to start that transition about a month before the baby comes if she's still not sleeping well so she will be used to coming in my bed in the middle of the night.

I really, really hope she is sleeping better by then - she has been sleeping terribly recently and the thought of being awake with a toddler and a newborn makes me exhausted!

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#6 of 9 Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 PM

We've just recently transitioned our nearly 2yo from our bed to toddler mattress on the floor beside our bed. Sometimes he makes it down there most of the night, other nights, he's back in our bed by 11pm. Hopefully he'll become more consistent as time goes on. Then we have to decide if we'll keep him in our room once the baby comes, or move him in with his big brother. I can't really imagine either of them getting much sleep in the same room though! Bedtime will look more like this:  bouncy.gifbouncy.gif

#7 of 9 Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 PM

We are in the same boat! DS, 16 months, is still co-sleeping with either me or DH.  We are trying to transition him into his own twin bed, but out of the the last week I think he slept there, twice. eyesroll.gif He will sometimes fall asleep with DH, but with lots of crying and complaining.  He prefers to nurse to sleep, which is fine, but then he wants to nurse all night long which isn't working anymore, makes me have too many painful contractions, which equals no sleep for me. The problem is we can't all sleep in our bed because its too cramped for me.  DH and DS like to take up so much space that I end up on the edge.  We have had various set ups with the crib side-carred, and the twin bed next to the queen, but right now our goal is getting DS sleeping in his own bed with DH.  We realize that DS won't be able to sleep alone for a while and DH is willing to be with him in DS's room, but DS isn't liking this idea right now.  I think our goal is to get DS used to sleeping in his room with DH before the baby comes in Feb. I just can't see anyone getting any sleep with all 4 of us sleeping in the queen bed, unless we get a bigger bed or bring the twin back in. Looks like we're all working on something! Hang in there girls! grouphug.gif

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbelly.gifMama to 2 sweet little boys biggrinbounce.gif(May 2010) biggrinbounce.gif (Feb 2012)

Got myvbac.gifFeb 2012

#8 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 PM

We had to stop cosleeping because no one was sleeping! and we have our son sleeping in our room as we bought a Chicco play yard with the MamaDoo Kids mattress topper because we were having some sleep problems (play yards are as hard as a rock). We decided to get the play yard because it is portable and we can travel with it. Also the mattress topper as it folds in 3!

#9 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 03:21 PM

i'm co-sleeping w my 1 yr old. i have no clue if i will be able to move her in time! it might be the new baby who ends up in the crib!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page