Weight Gain: How many lbs do you estimate you'll gain by delivery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm the type of person that can gain weight without trying. I can gain a couple of lbs in a couple of days...so I've had to work very hard to lose weight during my adult life and even harder to keep it off (which has always been a yo-yo battle for me) and mostly in my stomach area.

I hide my weight well though....and whenever I tell people just how much I weigh (pre-pregnancy) they NEVER believe me. I'm 5'3 1/2 so...any extra weight sneeks up on me...fast.

Since becoming pregnant I've steadily gained the lbs.....(there was about 3 weeks at the end of my 1st Trimester where I didn't gain any....and actually lost 1/2 a lb between OB visits - due to packing, moving, unpacking, etc.) and I THINK I've already gained around 25 lbs so far. I am 20 1/2 weeks. Therefore, I am ESTIMATING that I will probably gain a total of around 40 - 45 lbs....maybe?

At first that thought was a little intimidating and scary, esp. because I'd just lost a ton of weight before getting pregnant. But...on the other hand....the 42 lbs I'd lost....is just returning....only in a WONDERFUL way.....it's bringing a BABY along with it....which is totally better than just being fat and overweight! I've recently heard from other Moms I know that they gained a total of 55 lbs, 70 lbs, etc. so I know that I won't be alone in gaining over the norm of between 25-35 lbs.

And I'm not worried or stressed out at all about losing the pregnancy/baby weight after I deliver. I KNOW it will take some time. I'm guessing it will take around 4 months to a year to lose and get back into my pre-pregnancy clothes (unless my hips got too wide from birthing and then I'll just have to go up a size in pants) and back down to my skinniest ever size 4/6 pants and small tops.

I know I can do it. It isn't impossible. It will just take time, patience and LOTS of water, exercise and determination to be my healthiest and sexiest self once again.....and all the while....enjoying every day with my little man, watching him grow.

So.....I'm curious....how much do YOU expect to gain?

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, with DD I gained about 30lbs, but I had already gained 15-20 of it by this point in my pregnancy. I had a really, really hard time losing it, and I wound up only losing about 15 lbs of it. Its hard to be dedicated to excersise when you really just want to sleep.

So far this time, Ive gained a little over a pound. Youd never know it though, my belly is huge! I guess its just been redistributed. I was sick during the first trimester, and had almost no appetite, so I just didnt gain. I dont have the same appetite this time that I had with DD.

Last time I gained 10 lbs in the last 6 weeks, and I fully expect that I will do that again, so Im going to guess 20 lbs for the whole pregnancy. The baby weighed in at 1.2 lbs at our ultrasound, so no worries!

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 PM

My midwife isn't tracking my weight! Hallelujah! She said that I can track it on my own with her scale if I want, so I'll probably weigh myself next appointment just for curiosity sake. I was up 7 lbs at 12 weeks, I do know that.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 10-06-2011, 07:54 AM

I'm up 7lbs so far since my prepregnancy weight.  I'm expecting 30lbs total, so a pound a week from here out, more or less!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

Old 10-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Well I've gained about 22lbs so far so I'm chugging along at about a pound a week. So I'm guessing between 35-40lbs. At my last monthly appointment I'd gained 6 lbs in 4 weeks. My doc looked at me and said well you look fine so no worries, woohoo! I was thinking I'd level off at some point, but I've become obsessed with bread and cheese lately so that's not happening. I feel fine and it's pretty much all in the belly so I'm mostly ignoring the weight gain.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 AM

I'm up 6 lbs now, and figure I'll probably gain around 30 or so total.  I'm trying not to worry about how much I gain now though.  I'm just eating when I am hungry, trying to make healthy choices and leaving the rest up to my body.  I mean, I don't like the idea of packing on extra body fat, but like the idea of obsessing over how fat I am getting even less.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 AM

I gained 60 with my first!  A lot of it was due to swelling but still It took 2 1/2 years to get it all off again (breastfeeding was not a magic solution for me... too much sitting still while nursing a sleeping babe)!  And, I've never managed to resume my exercise regime.  All of my time is either spent with DD and DH or working... no third category for me. 

I started out being really cautious about weight gain as I'm overweight and planning on a VBAC and thinking that the more things I control the better my VBAC chances are.  So, far I've gained approx 7-9 lbs (depending on the scale).  I'm really hoping to keep it to 25 lbs total but I think 30 is more likely. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Parsley, I was never able to resume my exercise regime either, and Im starting out this pregnancy about 25 lbs overweight, so I feel ya on the wanting to keep it low. I stand at a measly 5 foot even, so ever extra pound really shows up. I havent had much of an appetite to really even test me, but I worry that with two, it will be even harder to get the weight off afterwards. We must remember to start a weight loss thread for those of us starting overweight as soon as these babies are born!!

Ive been making sure to eat lots of greens this time, which has really helped with keeping me regular and makes me feel less bloated. I know Im getting all the nutrients I need for this baby, so Im not super worried, im just not wailing on grilled cheese sandwiches like I did last time smile.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-06-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrocket View Post

I'm up 6 lbs now, and figure I'll probably gain around 30 or so total.  I'm trying not to worry about how much I gain now though.  I'm just eating when I am hungry, trying to make healthy choices and leaving the rest up to my body.  I mean, I don't like the idea of packing on extra body fat, but like the idea of obsessing over how fat I am getting even less.

Ok, I just weighed myself and I am up another 3.5lbs (in one week!).  I'm thinking I should adjust my projected end weight to ~35lbs.  

Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I gained 50 pounds with dd but lost it very quickly - 25 pounds was off the week after she was born (so I think a LOT of the end weight gain was water weight - around week 38 I gained 5 pounds in a single week!)  DD was a healthy 8 lbs 5 oz born at over 41 weeks so the weight gain didn't negatively affect her. 

Then I think the combination of breastfeeding and carrying around a VERY heavy baby all the time (DD was 24 pounds at 7 months! - I fed her only breastmilk but she just kept growing!) helped me lose the weight quickly. 

I'm already up about 20 pounds (23 weeks) so I expect to gain 40-50 pounds.  The women in my family seem to gain a lot of weight while pregnant.  I'm not worried about it because I eat healthy and because I lost the weight pretty easily with DD. 

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 PM

I found the record for my last pregnancy... which I started out at exactly the same weight as this one.  But at this point with my last child, I had gained a whopping 18 additional pounds already!  I've gained a pound a week average this time... so I'll guess 35-40 pounds at the end.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 10-09-2011, 01:44 PM

I gained like 50 lbs with #1 and most of that piled itself on in the last half of the pregnancy. I lost all but 10 of those after 6 months pp without trying at all (yay breastfeeding "diet"). Lost the last 10 slowly over the next 6 months.

This pregnancy I am exactly on track where I was with pregnancy #1. 10lbs gained at 20 week. I am hoping I won't gain another 40 on top of this, but...

Fortunately, with a late Feb due date I will not be tempted by all of the delicious ripe fruit that was available all summer with my late Aug due date (I think eating 4 necturines in one day may have been part of my weight gain). Of course then there are the holidays and the gluttony associated with that. Sigh. I will be pleased if I gain 30-40 total. I will definitely call that success.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 AM

Yesterday I felt upset about feeling really big... I am usually so self confident but gaining weight has been hard for me emotionally, and I did not expect that.   I am 24 weeks and change, have probably gained about 15 lbs so far, and I dont know, I guess I will end up around 30 lbs?  That is what my sister gained and I expect to be similar.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannieM View Post

Yesterday I felt upset about feeling really big... I am usually so self confident but gaining weight has been hard for me emotionally, and I did not expect that.   I am 24 weeks and change, have probably gained about 15 lbs so far, and I dont know, I guess I will end up around 30 lbs?  That is what my sister gained and I expect to be similar.

Well....I saw my OB last week and had gained 28 lbs and I'm 21 weeks. So....don't feel bad honey. It could be worse! Lol

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 
Old 10-11-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I think my OB was lying to me.....I asked her "how many lbs do most women gain the rest of the pregnancy from 5 months on?" and she flat out said "oh...around 10 lbs".

Yeah right!!!

I'm guessing I'll end up gaining at least 15 more by the end....if I'm lucky!! Lol

I'm prob headed for around 45-50 total. Oh well.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMama2Be View Post

I think my OB was lying to me.....I asked her "how many lbs do most women gain the rest of the pregnancy from 5 months on?" and she flat out said "oh...around 10 lbs".

ROTFLMAO.gif

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 PM

Weighing in at 20 lbs over starting weight at 22 weeks. Midwife isn't tracking my weight but curiosity got the best of me. I'm thinking a pound a week from here on out, so I expect to gain around 40 lbs. Oh geezus, I just did the math and man alive! Maybe I should lay off the grilled cheese sandwhiches and milkshakes for lunch.

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 10-12-2011, 06:49 AM

i honestly have no idea.  i gained a whole whole lot with dd, but it was all lost and then some with bf and an elimination diet (some nasty horrors, there). 

so just operating on the fact that i am not able to really control the weight gain (i'm trying to not overdo the food) and that it will go away, i just.. don't... care.  :)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

Weighing in at 20 lbs over starting weight at 22 weeks. Midwife isn't tracking my weight but curiosity got the best of me. I'm thinking a pound a week from here on out, so I expect to gain around 40 lbs. Oh geezus, I just did the math and man alive! Maybe I should lay off the grilled cheese sandwhiches and milkshakes for lunch.

And I should lay off the desert! It's hard though. They say that with BOYS you crave sweets and with GIRLS you crave salty things. So far....this has been true for me! But...I've managed to lay off most of the chocolate (even though it's my favorite) and stick to better choices. And I always TRY to stick to only one or 2 cookies or share a piece of cake with my hubby. :)

My problem is breakfast. I wake up hungry (but don't have much appetite at lunch) so....I end up eating badly most of the time. Pancakes, bacon (hey, there's protein!!), eggs, french toast, omelette's or breakfast burritos with salsa. They are just SOOOO good. I just can't resist. But....I am REALLY TRYING to make up for the bad breakfasts with adding veggies and fruit later in the day, with dinner or a snack. I had half of a piece (pretty large piece) of spinach and white cheddar quiche. That's somewhat healthy, right? Lol

Well....Kaydove....looks like you and I are in the same 40 lb Pregnancy Gain boat! Lol At least we've got each other! Lol

I'd love to see any photos of your little one growing (ultrasound) or your growing belly! Do you have an album on here started like I do? Check mine out and reply back and let me know so I can go check out your pics! :)

Old 10-12-2011, 01:16 PM

I really really need to take a belly photo! I think the last one was at 12 or 14 weeks. DH has been traveling for work and interviewing at other companies and our dog died and cat went missing all within the last month or so. Its been so much that we just haven't gotten around to it. Tonight! I will make us take a photo tonight. Then upload it to an ablum!

And yes, we'll gain the 40 lbs together. Only suggestion is don't do the math to figure out your ending weight and then tell your DH who promptly says "that's almost as much as I weigh! you'll weigh as much as me!" Sweetest person ever, but absolutely no filter. You'ld think I would be used to it by now.

My weakness is pastries. I absolutely love pastries, always have. I'm not limiting myself to once or twice a week like I used to. My midwife doesn't require gestational diabetes testing, but she does encourage it. We decided at my appointment yesterday that I'm going to do the testing at 28 weeks, so I need to lay off the sweets. I'm an 1/8th Native American so I could have a slightly more increased risk. I want to start swimming indoors since the weather has turned and walking the dog is hard to do when its dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home. I need to find a supportive non-underwire bathing suit top. I was a 34B and now a 36D, so having to think about bikini top support is a new one for me.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM

As of my 20 week appointment, I have gained 6lbs, which I'm thrilled with! But just weighed myself a few days ago and I'm up to 12 lbs. weight gain, which means I've gained 6 lbs. in 3 weeksyikes.gif DH birthday was last week and we ate out a lot, I've also been bad about eating healthy lately.  I need to get back on track.  My goal is to gain 25-30lbs total, so I need to make sure I'm eating right.  With my DS, I gained 90 lbs. most of which was gained in the last 8 weeks, I was gaining 10 lbs/week at the end.  The swelling and water retention was crazy due to my blood pressure being high.  I lost 70 lbs by DS's 1st birthday, but was still 20 lbs. over prepregnancy weight when I got pregnant with my Feb baby.  I'm really hoping to only gain 1 lb/week from here on out, but we'll see.  I'm having a hard time resisting sugar and white carbs and it's killing my weight gain.  I think I need a support group!whistling.gif

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbelly.gifMama to 2 sweet little boys biggrinbounce.gif(May 2010) biggrinbounce.gif (Feb 2012)

Got myvbac.gifFeb 2012

Old 10-19-2011, 11:00 AM

My midwife would like me to gain somewhere between 10-15 lbs. That is where I want to stay, too. I was technically "overweight" at my pre-preg weight and want my delivery and pregnancy to be easy, so I'm trying to keep the weight off. I was up 8lbs at my last appt (22 weeks) and my midwife suggested that I cut carbs, sugars, etc to help keep the weight off. It was the day before my birthday and lets just say I really rebelled and ate almost an entire pumpkin pie. I put on 2 lbs and am now at a 10lb gain at 25 weeks. Basically I'm avoiding my pregnancy sweet cravings (for the most part) and filling up on fresh fruits and veggies, mostly raw, and protein. I've "limited" dairy for the most part. I must say, it isn't terribly fun to be on a "diet" and pregnant, but I know that I will feel better in the end at my birth and post partum. Plus, my husband weighs in at a whopping 110lbs and eats like a PIG so it's really hard to outweigh him by this much. nut.gif

Aww crap, I just realized the holidays are coming up.

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

Old 10-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Don't diet while pregnant, your body is doing hard work. The better nourished you are, the better nourished your uterus, which makes it a far more effective pusher. I've gained different amounts each pregnancy: 25lb(labor was 23 hours), 50lb(labor was 3 hours), and 20lb(started off about 20lbs heavier than the previous 2 pregnancies, 4 hour labor).

This time I have no idea what to expect. I'm 24 weeks, I lost a pound in the first trimester (208 lbs), and I've gained 4 since then(212 last I checked), by now I've usually gained 10lbs, so we shall see. I assume I'll gain about 20 again in the end, don't really care in the end. I eat when I'm hungry, I drink when I'm thirsty. When I want sweets I know that usually means I need some protein so I'll go for the protein first.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Old 10-19-2011, 02:44 PM

Oh, Mamanoish!  I agree with Right of Passage here.  Eat as healthfully as you can but try not to diet or work too hard at it now.  That recommendation of 10-15 lbs (same official recc I was given, by the way) is actually a diet.  When you add up the weight of the uterus, the baby, the placenta, the amniotic fluid, increased blood, water retention, etc...  you are automatically looking at something like 17-20 lbs (baby is 8, placenta 2, amniotic fluid 3, blood 2, uterus 2, etc..). 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post

Don't diet while pregnant, your body is doing hard work.

I promise though to start a weight loss thread post-partum! 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 10-20-2011, 06:09 AM

I'm not necessarily "dieting", just changing my eating habits. But I agree that her 15lb max recommendation just isn't going to happen. I'll probably hit 20. Babe is probably 1lb in there, and I typically have 8 lb babies, and that weight is going to have to happen. I'm not working out (I actually hate it) but I have changed my diet a lot. Veggies at every meal and I've cut refined sugars, starches, processed food, etc. She isn't limiting how MUCH I eat, just WHAT I eat and where those calories are coming from. I have borderline high blood pressure (if a student midwife takes it she always says "do you normally have higher blood pressure" but my midwife interrupts and always says "it's normal for her, no worries!" so I'm really trying to make this pregnancy easier on my body. First pregnancy I gained around 60lbs, 2nd around 60-70. I literally felt like I had to gain momentum at 40 weeks just to get walking. I really don't want to be doing that this time! 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

Old 10-26-2011, 12:19 PM

I just had my 24 week appt. and I think I have gained just over 15 lbs. I gained somewhere between 35 and 40lbs. with my first, and that seemed pretty ideal for me. With where I am at now, I am thinking I am probably on the same track. Fine by me.

And oh Lord, life would be impossible if I were to try and only gain 10-15 lbs.!

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 10-26-2011, 10:37 PM

I gained 30 pounds with my son and lost 20 right away, but hung on to the last 10 pounds for way too long! This time around, with hyperemesis, I am just now gaining. Today at my 24 week appointment with my midwife I am up one pound from my starting weight! I am feeling pains all over already though from just being pregnant. I am seeing the chiro on Friday. :)

Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 PM

I'd gained 13 at my week 20 midwife appointment. I don't have a scale at home so I'm not sure where I'm at now but I have been pretty good with eating well and exercising. Midwife seems to think I will/should gain about 30-35 and although it was difficult to surrender to this and not feel yucky about having to gain weight at first, I now feel much more positive and relaxed about it with lots of support from loved ones and midwives. As someone who has always been weight-conscious and active (and a former dancer), I'm realizing that pregnancy transforms your relationship with your body, and that is a truly amazing thing if you don't fight it.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

An update on my guess - I think I'll prob end up gaining around 45-50 lbs total. I'd of preferred 30-40, but ya gotta take what ya get I guess. I will lose it eventually, even if it takes a year or so.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 AM

i went for a check yesterday and i've gained 22 pounds over all, so far, but i had just gorged on multiple burritos five minutes before the appointment. 

i am actually pretty pleased, and so was the ob, as i had excessive weight gain with dd.  like over 70 pounds.  if i can just keep from eating so much for the next few weeks, i am counting on the reduced stomach space factor to carry me through to the end!  hooray!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

User Tag List