Interesting articles - to share and discuss - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I spend a lot of time reading on the web.  I was thinking maybe a thread where we share and discuss interesting pregnancy, birth, and childraising articles might be fun! 

Here are two I've read today on the NYTimes.  The first is about preeclampsia and it reports on a really interesting theory and some new research about what's happening and the potential causes.  The second...  how is this news?  It reports on the American Pediatric Association recommending limiting screen time for children under 2.  It's totally a watering down of their original recommendation... strange, and disturbing to me in the way it normalizes screen time for babies in an effort to provide "balance". 

Turncoat of Placenta Is Watched for Trouble
Published: October 17, 2011
Scientists have proposed a novel hypothesis to explain how a pregnant woman develops a serious condition called pre-eclampsia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/health/research/18birth.html

Parents Urged Again to Limit TV for Youngest
Published: October 18, 2011
Video screen time provides no educational benefits for children under age 2 and leaves less room for activities that do, pediatricians say.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/19/health/19babies.html

What do you think?  What are you reading?

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 PM

I'm reading whatever shows up in my facebook feed. ;)

For the brain:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/10/19/newborns-need-to-be-near-their-mothers-at-night/
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/caesarian-rates-placenta-accreta-contributing-rise-maternal-death/story?id=13399308#.Tp4LeInp_IU.facebook
http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AAP/29075

For the tummy(recipes I'm needing to make: now):
http://www.singerskitchen.com/2011/10/revisiting-pumpkin-cinnamon-rolls-w.html

And pure fluff:
Justin Timberlake doing things
And colorful language about gourds (seriously lots of swearing)

Not on the webs:
My exploring medical language workbook, holistic midwifery v. 1 & 2, Myles Midwifery, and some light Varney's midwifery.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#3 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

That placenta accreta story is so relavent and so depressing to me!  Thanks for passing it along though. 

#4 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
"It's self-empowerment. If I can have a tummy tuck and rhinoplasty, why can't I have a Caesarian delivery?"

It blows me away that there are women who prefer to have a c-section when there is no medical reason for doing so. 

#5 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

But the analogy is right there... people choose to have surgery all the time.  If you are in that mindset, why not claim control over the unknown and schedule your c-section?   I've known women for whom pregnancy was an alarming experience of being out of control.  For those women, I can totally understand the appeal of scheduling birth and taking control in that way.  I also have known women who have had cosmetic surgery... I think in some cases that is also about taking control over your body and your life. 

...I also think it's about internalizing ideas of beauty and parenthood that are dangerous and destructive.  So I am not advocating elective surgeries of any kind... just saying that I see a logical consistency in this line of thinking.

hildare likes this.

#6 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Yeah, I see that, it just surprises me because I guess I personally associate surgical procedures with fear/anxiety/loss of control.

#7 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

That's for sure!  At what point are you more out of control than when immobile, admitted and someone is holding sharp instruments over you.  I don't get it either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrocket View Post

Yeah, I see that, it just surprises me because I guess I personally associate surgical procedures with fear/anxiety/loss of control.

#8 of 13 Old 10-20-2011, 07:57 AM

losing control during the process of labor is something that is a common fear...  especially when combined with the way birth is presented in the media, as something very scary.  also, many adults have had surgery of one kind or another, and therefore it's not the "unknown."  those are my theories..

i'd read those times articles, and was glad to see the no tv under 2 recommendations revisited.  that pre-e one was pretty fascinating too. 

i think at issue with the screen time 'balancing' is that it seems like a lost cause to tell people no screen time based on the world we live in.  too, as books are becoming more and more ebooks, i wonder whether that is what the authors/scientists/physicians had in mind?  not to eliminate exposure to books through screens?

been reading about natural cesarean, have been posting this article everywhere!  i think it's really exciting. 

speaking of reading, my heart is breaking-- one of my favorite bloggers is quitting blogging, farmmama, if anyone follows her.  sad sad sad about it.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#9 of 13 Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hah!  I was going to post this after reading the whole article last night but I decided to let you go ahead and do it since it is your particular favorite.  It's a great article!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

been reading about natural cesarean, have been posting this article everywhere!  i think it's really exciting. 

I've been sulking about Lisa Belkin leaving Motherlode. 

hildare likes this.

#10 of 13 Old 10-26-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Here's an interesting article about how "screen time" varies by income.  But also shows how screen time seems to be increasing for most kids.

Screen Time Higher Than Ever for Children
Published: October 25, 2011
Children under 8 are spending more time than ever in front of screens, and an “app gap” is emerging between children in affluent and low-income households, a new study found.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/25/us/screen-time-higher-than-ever-for-children-study-finds.html

#11 of 13 Old 12-10-2011, 08:59 AM

this was pretty interesting.  warning: you may not want to read this unless you already have or have had a toddler.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/12/05/143062378/whats-behind-a-temper-tantrum-scientists-deconstruct-the-screams

#12 of 13 Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

this was pretty interesting.  warning: you may not want to read this unless you already have or have had a toddler.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/12/05/143062378/whats-behind-a-temper-tantrum-scientists-deconstruct-the-screams 

It comes back as page not found.....

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#13 of 13 Old 12-10-2011, 11:44 AM

i fixed it....  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page