Collecting baby gear... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-21-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just started collecting some essentials. So far, I have an infant car seat ordered, a moby wrap and ergo baby carriers, and I've knit almost all of my wool soakers. Is anyone else collecting? What are some of your essentials?

#2 of 17 Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 PM

I have some cloth diapers and covers, a Moby, and some clothes that I have been collecting. I have little things like a home-made quilt, a couple food mills, some wooden toys, and books as well. I am making all my baby wipes and washcloths, so that's what I am working on now. I was instructed by my family to wait until after my baby shower to buy anything big.

Pagan mama, married to DH since 10/27/09. Had a wonderful h20homebirth.gif with baby D in 2012!

#3 of 17 Old 10-22-2011, 05:00 AM

I remember the craze of collecting and figuring out all the baby gear stuff with DS.  We kept all DS stuff and need just a few essentials this go round.  I would say on a must have list is a boppy pillow and extra covers for it, electric double breast pump, lots of burp cloths, blankets, and baby carriers (I'm addicted and have like 8).

Stephanie
Momma to Gavin (3/24/09), Heart broken 6/13/10, TTC
#4 of 17 Old 10-22-2011, 08:40 PM

besides a solid amount of cloth diapers, three onesies, and a second hand car seat we have basically nothing, haha, but I figure we can get stuff as we need it???  I only have time to think of all this in Dec/Jan... eek!  too busy with work through early december...

#5 of 17 Old 10-23-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

oooo I need cloth diapers! Where did you get your's?

#6 of 17 Old 10-23-2011, 02:21 PM

DiaperSwappers.com FSOT forum.  (KLOs)

Garage Sale- prefolds, diaper pails, wraps

Just Between Friends sales (sold more than I've bought)

Craigslist (MEOS 24 & airflow covers)

Our coop also sells prefolds, bummis wraps, and bum genius. There are a lot of on-line retailers once you know what you want.  

#7 of 17 Old 10-23-2011, 02:38 PM

We're done except for the car seat. My baby essentials include cloth diapers, clothes (mostly hand me downs from big brothers), moses basket for daytime napping, sling, boobs. We have his nursery done as well but it's just for show, he will be co sleeping. Now that I think of it, i need socks, too.

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#8 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 AM

i've got most stuff except for a carseat... somewhere.  i need some serious time to spend organizing.  i have no idea where most of our baby stuff might be.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#9 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 AM

We have most of what we need but we do have to buy a carseat and maybe an infant stroller (DH likes to imagine that DD2 will agree to use a stroller, I'm not even planning on trying :) ).  We also need to buy a new dresser for DD1 so that the baby can have her dresser/changing table.  Big expenses that we're holding out on making in case a relative feels generous. 

In the past few days though, I've become obsessed with what the little baby will wear in those first few days.  I was digging in a box of newborn clothes to "lend" some clothes to DD for her doll and I discovered that we have virtually no really warm clothes because DD was born at the end of March.  So, seems we get to do a little clothes shopping for this babe after all.

So, I've spent a little time looking at layettes in the past couple of days. blush.gif

Oh yeah, and I want a maya wrap but I'm pretty sure someone will give that to me for a holiday as I have it on my amazon wish list. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#10 of 17 Old 10-25-2011, 06:03 AM

I've drug out all of DD's baby stuff (some of it has never been put away) and have decided that I need a Bumbo chair and a carseat cover. I still need to buy 5 more Flip covers, but I buy them from a local AP store, so Ill make a few different trips to get them. A sewing master friend of mine is going to sew suedecloth over all my Bum Genius inserts to make them Flip inserts so I wont have to buy anymore prefolds (I have about 30 anyway). I still have all DD's pacifiers and my breast pads and all that newborn stuff, so I think we are pretty good all around.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#11 of 17 Old 10-25-2011, 09:18 AM

We have pretty much everything or it's on it's way. I need to go through the  clothing and see what we need I've mostly only picked cute stuff here and there. I also need to figure out the sizing, I think twins are usually smaller and I want to buy a few outfits that fit them right away.

So far we have

For the babies:

Cloth diapers (one size) so I need to buy some newborn disposables.

Cribs

Stroller

Beco butterrfly 2 We need another carrier but we just need to figure out which one.

changing table

car seats

bath tub

bouncy chairs

For me:

pjs for the hospital

nursing pads

nursing bras

breast cream

(need to get a pump)

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#12 of 17 Old 10-26-2011, 11:46 AM

I feel I was so conservative when it came to big purchases with my first son, that I have splurged with a couple of things for this son. About a month ago, I bought a glider off of Craigslist. My first experience buying from there, and it was a great one. It's a really nice chair and I got it for a fantastic price. I'm also looking forward to using it, too. I did a lot of walking with my DS, and wasn't always comfortable propped up in bed. Hopefully the glider will help a little.

And then yesterday, I bought a Phil & Ted's double stroller off of Craigslist for a fantastic price. And it's in great condition. I'm pretty rational with big ticket items, so, I would have never bought one new. I am really happy with the find. I hardly ever use a stroller anymore, but I like having one for babies. Especially, for long walks with our dog and cruising around malls or something. Also, for my mom to use. The nice part about this stroller is that it really isn't much bigger than my single stroller. So, even if I am out and wearing one and pushing the other, it won't feel like I have some monstrous stroller.

Now, I just need to get a dresser for our room. To put the baby's clothes/diapers in and to put a changing pad on.

Other than that, just little fun things. And should probably make a list of what I actually need.

I think I want to get a nose frida, too. Any of you ladies have one, and suggest getting it?

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#13 of 17 Old 10-29-2011, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

This is our first child, so we'll be needing EVERYTHING. So far I've had friends or family members offer to give us a pack n play (portable crib unit) an ergo baby carrier, a breast pump & bottles and some outfits.

I've already had collected a baby bath tub, bibs, onsies, socks, pacifier, a couple pair of shoes.

I've registered for EVERYTHING else we'll be needing and my baby shower is 4 weeks away, so whatever we don't get there I will just either get myself or wait and see what people give/send as gifts over the next couple of months. We all know some people are late gift givers after all.

And then there's a couple of friends who are going to MAKE something for the baby. God knows what. Probably a blanket or outfit or crib bedding. One friend made me a baby sling like a year ago.

I'm just dying to see what we get. And I'm totally fine with getting duplicates of items because you can always return them to the store and use that money for items you still really need.

We've been working away at the baby nursery and I've got everything (curtains, crib, changing table, dresser, rugs, floor lamp, bookshelves) except the rocker chair/ottoman and matching lamp and crib mobile. I've already hung up pictures on the walls too. I'd say the nursery is 3/4 of the way completed and it's SO nice going in there and looking around the room at my little boys room-to-be!!

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 
#14 of 17 Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 PM

This is our first too and we hardly have anything! We aren't having a shower but I made an amazon wishlist to inspire family members for Christmas gifts. We did get a nice gliding arm chair and a year of diaper service. I have a long to-do list to get ready for this baby!
#15 of 17 Old 11-01-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Just procured a little crib that I can put next to the bed, a little bouncy chair, and a breast pump. I thought I was only having one child, so I gave everything away. Gotta order those cloth diapers and get some clothes. The rest is gravy. 

#16 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 03:51 AM

saw this thread and thought it would be a good place to post about the baby gizmo bumbleride stroller giveaway if you ladies (or gentlemen) haven't already seen it

Baby Gizmo is giving away a Bumbleride Indie Twin Stroller with carrycots and fabric covers and carseat adapters.

We are so busy with our 3 year old, 8 month old, and newborn coming that this would be so great to win this prize. 

Part of the giveaway entry is to post about it on a message board, so here I am ready to share the good news. You can enter their giveaway here:

http://www.ratedbymom.com/2011/11/biggest-giveaway-yet/ 

I know finding a great stroller would be a huge relief before the baby arrives. 

#17 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 03:51 AM

saw this thread and thought it would be a good place to post about the baby gizmo bumbleride stroller giveaway if you ladies (or gentlemen) haven't already seen it

Baby Gizmo is giving away a Bumbleride Indie Twin Stroller with carrycots and fabric covers and carseat adapters.

We are so busy with our 3 year old, 8 month old, and newborn coming that this would be so great to win this prize. 

Part of the giveaway entry is to post about it on a message board, so here I am ready to share the good news. You can enter their giveaway here:

http://www.ratedbymom.com/2011/11/biggest-giveaway-yet/ 

I know finding a great stroller would be a huge relief before the baby arrives. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page