GD test today - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh. I dread it. I have to go for my GD test today. Im not too worried, I didnt have it last time, I havent gained a lot of weight (5 lbs total), I eat pretty healthy all the time, am active, ect. but I know that sometimes perfectly healthy women can have it and I dont want to have to control my diet bag.gif

Anyway, I could have opted out of it I suppose, but I was just too curious, so Im going to do it. I dread that nasty sugary-syrupy drink though.

Has anyone else had their GD test yet?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 67 Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 AM

I did mine last week.  The drink was gross and I felt like crap for the rest of the day, but I am glad it is over with. 

#3 of 67 Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 AM

Mine is next week, but I had to do one at 12 weeks too cause I have "risk factors" My mom had GD with her third, and has diabetes now plus my BMI is too high.. I passed that one but have to do it again... yay... :/

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 67 Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Had mine today. I didn't have any problem with the drink, but I normally down some pretty sweet tea so maybe that had something to do with it. I was told not to worry about eating or anything, but when I went this morning the nurse asked me what I had for breakfast and after I told her she said well this is NOT going to be good???? If this test comes back borderline I'm not sure I'll take the longer test since I have no risk factors.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#5 of 67 Old 11-01-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Crap. Does this mean I dont get the test results today? Will I have to wait? I cant remember what it was like with DD, as far as taking this test goes. For some reason, I was under the impression that I would be getting the results the same day.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 67 Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM

I haven't had mine yet, and like you, I am going to get it. I also don't like the drink, but it goes down just fine.

And if I remember correctly from last time, I did not get my results right away. Can't remember how long it took to get them.

Good luck, mamas. :)

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#7 of 67 Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 AM

I had mine already. The drink made me so sick and I ended up being 1 point over! Since my weight isn't an issue and I eat really healthy my doctor wasn't worried and didn't order the 3 hour test. Instead we'll test my blood when I come in for a visit and if there's an issue, we'll go from there. So glad my doctor is relaxed. The three hour test would have been miserable. Good luck! 

#8 of 67 Old 11-01-2011, 11:53 AM

I didn't get mine today. I'm not sure how long they will take, but I'll call the docs if they're not in by the end of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Crap. Does this mean I dont get the test results today? Will I have to wait? I cant remember what it was like with DD, as far as taking this test goes. For some reason, I was under the impression that I would be getting the results the same day.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#9 of 67 Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I didnt take the test. My OB office is right next to the hospital, and they sent me over (to the hospital) after my appointment to get the drink and have my blood drawn and the line was way backed up, so it was going to take me a total of three hours to have the test done. Ill try some other time this week.

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 67 Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 PM

I took mine yesterday and am so thrilled that I passed with lots of room to spare at 119. I try to live on fruit and vegetables mainly, so it would be really hard for me to restrict sugar. The one thing I love about Kaiser (my HMO) is that they post your lab results online super quick, so I had the results within 8 hours. Last time I failed the 1 hour screening test and had to do the 3 hour test. 

#11 of 67 Old 11-01-2011, 05:27 PM

I'm deciding to opt out this time.  Last time (with medwives) I "passed" after I finally got through the tests, but the sugary stuff made me vomit and then I had to retake it.  What a horrible way to spend half a day, twice. 

#12 of 67 Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 AM

I don't get mine for 2 weeks, but I am dreading it bk I still have nasuea and don't want to throw up from the sugary drink!  Good luck to the Mammas about to get the test!

Mamma to Sasha (5), Anastasija (2), and expecting a new baby girl this winter!

#13 of 67 Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 PM

I get the instructions for mine today at my appt. My midwife doesn't do the drink, she does a breakfast and then tests my sugars. My last midwife did this as well. I did the drink with my first pregnancy and can definitely understand the dread. I am heavier with this pregnancy than my last so I am a bit worried. I should probably slow down on the Halloween candy. bag.gif

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#14 of 67 Old 11-02-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I drank the drink today. I kept it down, but it was gross. I get my results tomorrow. When I called to ask for them today (lab said they would be available in two hours), the receptionist at my OB's office said that they were still on her desk and she was still analyzing them. I dont know what that means, but it makes me nervous.

SIDS happens. 

#15 of 67 Old 11-02-2011, 03:25 PM

I did it last week and I didn't find it nearly as bad as I thought I would.  I was a little more tired from the sugar crash (and had a crazy baby moving around inside for a little bit).  I did it on Thursday morning after having a well-balanced breakfast (which I'm sure helped lessen the impact of so much sugar) and had my results back by Friday afternoon.  It was a big relief to pass with flying colors with a 75.

#16 of 67 Old 11-02-2011, 07:10 PM

Blergh.  Since i had it last time, I just had them give me the pricker kit, and totally forewent the test. :lol.  When I had Michael, they wanted me to have sugars aftermeals of 130.  Now it's 120.  Blergh.

Good luck to everyone taking it.  If you can, walk walk walk.  Even if you have to "forget" your phone in the car, and walk around looking for your car for a while.  Walking nearly always works for me.

#17 of 67 Old 11-02-2011, 11:37 PM

Skerries- Did you do a 50mg of glucose drink? and get 75 an hour after drinking? That number is too low. You might want to keep monitoring yourself for LOW blood sugar. 75 is even low for some people as a fasting number. I have low blood sugar and it's nothing to mess around with. Maybe ask your dr?

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#18 of 67 Old 11-03-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Whew! I got my results this morning. I passed with flying colors. One less thing for me to worry about.
Youngfrankenstein likes this.

SIDS happens. 

#19 of 67 Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post

Skerries- Did you do a 50mg of glucose drink? and get 75 an hour after drinking? That number is too low. You might want to keep monitoring yourself for LOW blood sugar. 75 is even low for some people as a fasting number. I have low blood sugar and it's nothing to mess around with. Maybe ask your dr?

I did do the 50 mg and I was quite surprised at the number given that I've definitely had fasting numbers higher than that at a regular physical.  I'll definitely ask about it at my next appointment (maybe the nurse just read it wrong!).

#20 of 67 Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 AM

I asked my mw this week whether I would be required to take it.  Apparently it is not standard in the NL.  I *could* take it if I wanted to (ha!) but as I show absolutely no risk factors, I am not taking it, whoopee!

My baby is growing right on target!  I love listening with the doppler and I love when the mw massages my whole belly feeling where the baby is etc.  

#21 of 67 Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 PM

I passed my test!! I had to take the 2 hour test since I had a 10 lb baby last time.  The sugary drink made me so sick and I almost throw up, but I held on until the final blood draw, but it was rough.  Good luck to all you ladies!

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbelly.gifMama to 2 sweet little boys biggrinbounce.gif(May 2010) biggrinbounce.gif (Feb 2012)

Got myvbac.gifFeb 2012

#22 of 67 Old 11-09-2011, 12:54 PM

I had to have my blood drawn for different test last week, and the lab tech. told me to not eat any sugar the day before the glucose test.  I'm not sure if this will help, I am so worried about throwing up after the sugary drink!  Even though I am 27 weeks now, I still threw up this morning brushing my teeth.  The m/s has never gone away for me. 

Mamma to Sasha (5), Anastasija (2), and expecting a new baby girl this winter!

#23 of 67 Old 11-16-2011, 11:30 AM

Bah, I just found out I "failed" by one point!  (131 rather than 130.)  We're going to do it over again in a week or two - just the one hour, not the three hour, thank goodness.  

I read (maybe on wikipedia) that illness can throw off the test.  I think I may have bronchitis, maybe that screwed me up?

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#24 of 67 Old 11-16-2011, 12:19 PM

That stinks, Blueheron.  hug2.gif

I failed last time with the same score.  And, then I had to take the 3 hour test.  How nice that your midwife is being reasonable and having you take the 1 hour again instead of the awful 3 hour test. 

I'm taking mine tomorrow and am nervous.  I think I failed my 1 hour last time because I ate breakfast while driving to the appt and it was a high carb meal.  I'm planning tomorrow to eat something with more protein than carbs and most importantly to eat it a few hours before doing the test so my body can process one thing at a time. 

Good luck on your re-take.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#25 of 67 Old 11-17-2011, 05:45 AM

1blueheron, i take mine on monday.  apparently there's fasting involved, i may hurt somebody...

but anyway, when i discussed it with my ob beforehand, what i took from the convo was that a borderline score wasn't a big deal or an indication of anything to be overly concerned about-- high scores are the scary ones.  i don't know if i would re-test if i had that as a score, myself.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#26 of 67 Old 11-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Blueheron - 140 is the cut off at many places.  I wouldn't worry. 

I just took mine this morning.  I ate 10 enormous jelly beans and had blood drawn at 1 hour.  It was pretty painless all around.  But, I did eat breakfast this morning.  I was told to NOT fast.  Strange that there's no consensus on that!

#27 of 67 Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 AM

huh.  that IS weird.  they're getting me + coffee whatever else that fasting business is all about, at any rate....

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#28 of 67 Old 11-17-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I had to fast one hour before I drank the drink, but thats all. 135 is the limit here. I tested in at 123.

SIDS happens. 

#29 of 67 Old 11-17-2011, 12:23 PM

I have to take mine on tuesday. I'll drink the stuff when I get to my appt. at 10am and then my midwife will check me later on (I think 45 mins). She said I can eat, but just to eat before 8 (I guess a two hour break) and not a big, sugary breakfast. Proteins, whole grains, and stuff is fine. Not sure what the cut off number is, though.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#30 of 67 Old 11-17-2011, 12:47 PM

It's crazy how different those instructions are.  I ate breakfast 1 1/2 hours before I ate the jelly beans.  But I was drinking coffee with milk 30 minutes before. 

I was told explicitly NOT to fast but not to eat a sugary breakfast.  I was told that I can't eat or drink anything during the one hour.  Just a little water to wash it down but no coffee, gum, food or smoking (!). 

I have a childish question.  Do I have to count those jelly beans as my treat for the day?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page