Moving to a new state at 33 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-13-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DH got an amazing job offer in San Diego, CA, such a great oppurtunity that we couldn't pass it up! We're SO excited about moving down there! I can't wait to get out of this Seattle rain and experience a new city. He starts January 3rd, so we're moving right after Christmas. The start date was going to be December 15th, I'm so thankful that it got moved to January and we can have Christmas up here. They are paying for the move and we have a large moving budget, so we're going to pay people to pack and load our stuff.

Any advice for moving in the 3rd trimester or moving states in general? Or San Diego recommendations? Thanks!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-13-2011, 11:28 AM

glad to hear you will have movers to help you.  take it easy!  do they pack up things in boxes for you, too?  people are so willing to help with things like moving, especially when you are preggers so my advice is to ask for help- lots of help with packing, sorting, food, etc. 

once in town, La Leche League may be a great place to get instantly connected with a few like-minded mamas.  they usually have the low-down on things semi-crunchy in town from peds to great farmer's markets.  also, can help for the important and vulnerable post partum time to have a few phone numbers or emails on hand for some company.

love to you in your big move!  it will feel nice to start fresh with a new babe. 

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#3 of 13 Old 11-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Hello, what an exciting time! My dad lives in San Diego, and DP and I are actually going down on Tuesday for 2 days. I love it there! Do you know what part of San Diego, you will be moving to? Are you looking for something close to your husband's work, near the city, or a family friendly neighborhood? If you like to eat out, I can give you some really good restaurant recommendations. I also know if a really good chiropracter in the area, where I have driven down(I'm 2 1/2-3 hours north) just to see him. Do you like farmers markets? They have some really nice markets there, that I attend every time I'm in town. If you have any questions about the city, please ask! What is your exact due date? I'm also expecting a girl and my due date is 2-22. 

Expecting #1 in February 2012. Have two furbabies. Kiadog2.gif Bootsie dog2.gif goorganic.jpgnovaxnocirc.gif

#4 of 13 Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Wow!  Congratulations and good luck Kaydove!  How are you doing with the stress of it all? 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#5 of 13 Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Congrat Kaydove! I have family in SD and I just loved it there so I'm a little jealous of your move!

Moving after Christmas is much better and less stressful than in Dec. We moved cross country last December and the movers were totally worth it. Some moving companies won't take things off the wall so if that's a worry you might want to check it out before(I wouldn't want you 8 months preg trying to stand on chairs to take down drapes and stuff). The movers also unpacked all of our big stuff at the new place which was great since I didn't have to haul things from room to room. 

Our bigget concern was the pets. Since your avatar has some furries on it, if you have some do you know how you're planning on moving them? I didn't feel comfortable shipping our dog so she drove with me which took a little extra planning.

Are you planning on flying down there and having a company ship your cars? Since I took the dog, I drove our car to the new state...during a snowstorm. If you're planning on driving the weather could be a factor(although going south probably means you don't have as big of a chance of problems).

Good Luck!!

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#6 of 13 Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! We're so very excited!

Gunter - Good point about getting in touch with a La Leche League! I'm part of the doula organization up here and was able to tap them for contacts too.

Alison - I would love recommendations on restaurants and a chiropractor! I'm most stressed about finding all my care providers and replicating my care, so definitely looking for recommendations.

Parsley - I'm not too stressed about the move, I'm stressed about finding a midwife, birth center, doula, chiropractor, and acupuncturist! My DH is home until he starts with the new company down there, so he's handling the movers and packing stuff, so that's such a relief.

Ramzubo - We're going to fly all of us down there, so 2 dogs and a cat plus 2 people. We thought about driving but I have severe back pain that comes on randomly, so that would be horrible to have to deal with. They company will ship one car down there. My 21 year old step daughter is moving from Florida to come live with us. My DH and her are going to drive the car down from Seattle after me and him fly down, so DH and I will fly down, meet the movers, and then he'll fly back up and meet her in Seattle and the two of them will drive down the coast. Its a beautiful drive and they have family on the way. I suggested it since they need some bonding time and it will only take them 4 days. 

The flight is only 2 hours max. so that shouldn't be too bad for the pets.

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#7 of 13 Old 11-14-2011, 10:58 PM

Here's the chiropracter that I use, he's in Solano Beach which is about 30 minutes north of San Diego depending on where you live: http://www.whatisnucca.com/

I just asked my midwife if she has any recommendations for a birthing center/midwife/doula in San Diego. 

As for restaurants, there's an event called 30th on 30th that happens on the 30th of every month, on 30th st, and it is one of my favorite things to do when I'm there during that time. It's a bunch of restaurants that serve small plates for a few dollars, so it's a great way to check out new restaurants. http://30thstreet.org/

For a nice pricey dinner, I love Whisknladle in La Jolla: http://whisknladle.com/ they have a sister restaurant called Prepkitchen, where you eat outside it's dog friendly, less expensive and the food is amazing, the info is on the same link. 

Some of my favorite restaurants are:

Ritual Tavern, they have a dog-friendly patio: http://www.ritualtavern.com/

El Take It Easy(dog-friendly) http://eltakeiteasy.com/

Urban Solace http://www.urbansolace.net/

The Linkery(really into sourcing everything locally) http://thelinkery.com/blog/

Sea-Rocket (great fish, and dog-friendly) http://www.searocketbistro.com/

Alchemy: http://alchemysandiego.com/

BLAH, Blind Lady Ale House, amazing pizza with fresh local ingredients: http://blindladyalehouse.com/

Jsix: http://www.jsixrestaurant.com/

Expecting #1 in February 2012. Have two furbabies. Kiadog2.gif Bootsie dog2.gif goorganic.jpgnovaxnocirc.gif

#8 of 13 Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Not in your DDC but I just had to reply to this!

My DH ALSO just got a fantastic job offer, with relocation, in San Diego! And we are frantically in moving mode right now. We are moving from Maryland. His job will be in Rancho Bernardo and we're renting a house in Ramona until our house in MD sells--not sure which area of SD we will settle in long-term.

DH's start date is Dec. 5 and we are flying our family out (2 parents, 2-year-old, 3-month-old, and dog) on Dec. 1. OP, I would LOVE to connect with you when we're both in SD. I know nobody there yet, and hey, you're on MDC, I'm on MDC...

orngbiggrin.gif
#9 of 13 Old 11-15-2011, 12:30 PM

we moved to our new house when i was 6 mos + with dd.  it wasn't so bad b/c i took it slow, and dh did the moving and furniture placement etc.

the best thing i did, i guess, was have somebody help clean thoroughly before everything was moved in (the new place) and someone helped me clean all my crap before i packed it-- it arrived sorted and very sparkly.

i tossed lots of stuff (by tossed i mean took to the thrift store) and if you want to view it very positively, i started a new house with lots of organization and cleanliness that just would not have been there otherwise...

best of luck with your move!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#10 of 13 Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Alison - I'll put those on my list of places to check out. Love how dog friendly San Diego is!

Radicaleel - We should definitely meet up once I get down there! My DH starts his job Jan 3rd.

#11 of 13 Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 AM

I got a recommendation from my midwife, she said to check out The Best Start Birth Center. http://www.beststartbirthcenter.com/

#12 of 13 Old 11-16-2011, 07:39 PM

DDC

But I lurk here anyway because I'm due March 4th with my 3rd. Do you know where in SD you are going to be? SD is BIG so that really determines a lot of what I'm recommend. I live in Encinitas so most of the stuff I know and do is in north county. My chiropractor is awesome and works with lots of pregnant women. I found her through my doula.  http://www.drcheriesmith.com/index.php

The Best Start Birth Center is great! I have several friends who have birthed there and highly recommend it. There is also the Birth Center at the UCSD hospital in Hilcrest. I've also heard good things about them too. There are also lots of great homebirth midwives in SD. I'm haveing my 3rd homebirth with a great set of midwives!

All the restaurants the pp recommended are awesome! Definitely check them out! Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Jimbo's are some of our great grocery stores.

My doula hosts a very informal play group once a week at Glen Park in Cardiff on Tuesday mornings. You should check us out when you get into town. There are always lots of great like-minded mama's there :)

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#13 of 13 Old 11-26-2011, 07:18 PM
zak

Such an exciting adventure!!  :)  I moved when I was pregnant with my first when I was 36 weeks along.  We did a self move from FL to GA.  We moved to the city in my state that has the ONLY FSBC.  It was a true blessing.  :)  I'm betting you'll have more options than I did tho.  ;)  Tapping into LLL was vital for me.  My MW really pushed me to go to my first meeting (I wanted to go, but he was born the evening of their monthly meeting!  so I had to wait a whole month to attend).  Not being afraid to tell people, "Hey, I'm lonely and need a friend!  Want to come over for tea and cake?" was super important for me too.  :)  I only lived in that city for one year, but I am still very good friends with several of the Mamas I met while there (huge Mom crushes on them, lol).  :)

Best of luck with your move!!

-zak- Mama to three fantastic sons - 2005, 2007 & 2010 and expecting a daughter February 2012!

User Tag List