Latest and greatest carriers (besides moby) for newborns? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So there's no really good reason for me to buy another carrier (we have, um, a moby, a ring sling, an ergo, and a frame backpack Sheepish.gif), but I love baby carriers and maybe i can't help myself.  

So I'm curious if anybody knows about new or less common products (or patterns) that are good for newborns.  I heard the ergo has a new infant insert but I haven't seen it.  I hear non-stretchy wraps exist but I don't know much about them...

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM

I only have a ring sling, which I actually wish I knew how to use better than I do, but maybe just want a new carrier. Since you seem to have experience with quite a few, which do you like most?

Mama to Jack (2/14/10) and Madi (2/14/12) luxlove.gif my Valentine's babies!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 AM

I prefer our Gypsy mama (woven wrap) to the Moby.  We have two woven wraps from Gypsy Mama and the Moby (stretchy wrap) is really for DH only.  (With DD he lived in it and it feels almost like putting on his underwear if I try to use it!).  So, the gypsa mama wraps are mine and the moby is his. 

I'm coveting a Maya sling this time.  I'm hoping someone buys it for us or gives us cash for holidays so I can buy it! 

I've also been wanting a Beco... but we have an ergo and a boba so I'm thinking that might be more than I really need.   We really preferred soft structured carriers over wraps starting around 10 months or so.  So, I'll likely revisit this a few dozen times :)  I only stopped carrying DD about 3-4 months ago and she is likely to want more carrying in the future so maybe 2 kids, 3 soft structured carriers isn't so crazy????

Anyone have thoughts on a pocket sling?  Seems super easy but I like the look and versatility (but not price) of the Maya Ring Slings better. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 12-12-2011, 06:53 AM

I have two Maya Wrap Ring Slings that I love.  I bought a green one online almost 6 years ago, and it has held up great although the color was brighter than the olive green that it appeared on the computer screen.   A Mom friend gave me a black Maya sling about 3 years ago, and I loved it too, but the fabric is stiffer and less breathable than the green older one.  They both wash well on gentle and I hang them dry.  Both of mine have the slightly padded shoulder for comfort.  They have a long tail which is great for nursing, and it has a zipper pouch in the tail too for keys, lip balm, etc.  I have never put diapers in the zipper, it would be too bulky with cloth diapers I think. 

I also have a Beco carrier that is very sturdy and has a great blooming tree pattern on it.  It has nice, very padded, non slip straps.  It can be challenging to put on and buckle behind your back alone, but my bigger kids are old enough now to buckle it now for me.  ;-)  It seems to be similar to my friends Ergo, but it does not have a zipper pouch on the bottom part.  My only complaint is that you cannot nurse with it on.  I remember having to stop, unbuckle, sit down and nurse.  It can be bulky too to carry around, but it is very comfortable for long wearing. 

In the early days, it was better for me to have the ring sling on because of the nursing abilities and being mobile with other kids. 

Mamma to Sasha (5), Anastasija (2), and expecting a new baby girl this winter!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:03 AM

Parsley, I forgot to say that I purchased a pocket type of sling before the Maya, and it was fitted to your body size.  It was not adjustible, and I returned it right away.  It made me feel claustraphobic fitting so closely and I didn't see how I would stuff the baby down inside the tiny pouch.  When I got the Maya, it was sooo nice to be able to put the baby inside, then adjust the ring sling to fit.  You just tug the tail up and out to tighten. (Mine came with a dvd instructional video for wearing and adjusting)  It was much nicer for me to be able to adjust the fit.  It seems intimidating to put on and adjust at first, but it is easy after a couple of practices, and it is a lifesaver for nursing and being active.

Mamma to Sasha (5), Anastasija (2), and expecting a new baby girl this winter!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 AM

Thanks for that feedback, Jaimeemiaj.  I hate feeling trapped in layers (especially during the winter!) so that's really useful to know about the pocket sling-- babes also always look a little squished to me in them.  But, I have been seduced by the idea of popping the baby in from the car seat and popping her right back out again without any fiddling.  I guess tightening a strap isn't much fussing, really!  After using a wrap the whole time, I think the ring sling will feel pretty easy to adjust!

I did find wraps to be super easy for nursing too.  I nursed DD around the house (all day!) and out in public with her in the wrap and it was discrete and totally comfy. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).

User Tag List