Losing weight in the third trimester? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-17-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont know what is going on. With DD, I had already gained 20+ lbs by this time. During my first trimester I didnt have an appetite at all and I lost a couple of lbs. I started out at 160 (about 30 lbs over my ideal weight considering that Im 5' tall), dropped to 158, then went back up to 160. At my appointment two weeks ago, I was at 165 but when I went in yesterday I was back down to 162. HOW could I possibly be losing weight? Im eating semi healthy (but Ill admit it, I totally just ate half a box of DD's mac n cheese and 4 twizzlers, so its not like Im eating nothing but salad and lentils here.). I know I dont eat as much as I didnt in the second trimester because Im starting to get that "baby is taking up all the room" feeling that only really allows for small meals throughout the day.

My next appointment isnt an ultrasound, but the one after it is and my OB says that baby should be in the 3.5-4.5lb range by then. She says she doesnt think there are any problems, as long as Im eating healthy its totally fine. It just seems hard for me to believe that I could be losing weight this late in the game and that the baby is still getting enough. Im getting anxious that the baby is going to be really small, since DD was only 6lbs 7oz and I gained 30 lbs with her.

Has anyone else lost weight either in this pregnancy or a previous one? I think my fears would be calmed if I knew of other mamas that lost weight and had healthy babies.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 6 Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 AM

I definitely do not have this problem!  Are you feeling well otherwise?  If so, I wouldn't be too worried.  Do you think you might be much more active this time?  Chasing after a toddler and all?   

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#3 of 6 Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 AM

could you have eaten lots before the next to last weigh in, and have been wearing lots of clothes or something?  that could fluctuate it a few pounds, i'd think....

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#4 of 6 Old 11-20-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

could you have eaten lots before the next to last weigh in, and have been wearing lots of clothes or something?  that could fluctuate it a few pounds, i'd think....

This.

I have a similar issue, although I'm actually kind of glad. But I have gained a wee bit more than you. I had put on about 20 lbs after starting an office job (after being a SAHM) about a year ago, plus pregnancies and M/C's in between, and started at 190 for my pre-pregnancy weight. I didn't want to gain a lot like I did with DS's (60+lbs) and my midwife encouraged this as well. With that being said, I alternate in between eating incredibly healthy to eating whatever I want. I've only gained 9 lbs, and lost 2 lbs at my last appt. I'm in my 29th week. I usually eat what I want, toast w/ peanut butter or cereal, a salad (which I usually want, I crave veggies) and then snack on whatever and eat a normal dinner. My midwife isn't worried though. She actually said at my last appt that I was doing awesome with weight gain. I am also 5'9 and my uterus was measuring 29 wks at my 28 wk appt.

I think as long as you're eating healthy, and not TRYING to lose weight, then it's probably fine. Keep in mind too that U/S estimates for the size of a baby aren't incredibly accurate. If you health care provider isn't worried, I wouldn't worry either. I know it can seem crazy though, I had NO problems gaining weight with my other pregnancies. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#5 of 6 Old 11-20-2011, 04:52 PM

I agree with pp that it's probably just normal fluctuations, since it's not a lot of weight that you lost.  I am much more sensitive to retaining water when I'm pregnant and my weight can vary from 3-4 pounds in one day between the time I wake up in the morning before I eat and right before I go to bed.

How is your eating?  If you're concerned you can try to add in some extra calorie dense foods throughout the day to make sure you're getting enough calories.  Is your DD still nursing?  That could also account for the slower weight gain since your body is still using energy to nurse.  I recently read adventures in tandem nursing and it said that mamas who are still nursing often in the third trimester need something crazy like 3100 calories a day. 

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#6 of 6 Old 11-20-2011, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

This.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page