new chat into december - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 11-27-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

sorry... didn't see the old thread and i really had to whine.

i spent thanksgiving in the emergency room!  all is ok, i had a stomach bug that was pretty much the worst illness i've ever had.  pretty much the anti-thanksgiving feast.  they weren't even worried about the baby, though!  they gave me zofran (?) and 1 iv bags of fluid.. and then several hours later discharged me then sent me up to maternity.  words cannot describe how awful it was.  plus, i ruined thanksgiving- dh and dd didn't get to go to their grannie's...  

but man... if i do get a vbac, there's no way labor can possibly be any worse than that business. i'm set.

and you guys?  hope you all ate a bunch of stuff and enjoyed it.  tell me about it???? vicarious yumminess details please.

(i guess another positive is that my weight gain is pretty much less than i anticipated after a week of broth.  and un-food.)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#2 of 57 Old 11-27-2011, 01:15 PM

Oh, Hildare!  That is awful.  Hope you are feeling better.  Congrats on the weight management though ROTFLMAO.gif

I had an exhausting, frustrating week of too much (ungrateful) family and DD acting bratty.  We hosted T-giving and had house guests starting Weds morning through today.  I'm tired, my house is a mess, and I can't stop making sarcastic comments at my 3 yo.  I made the most amazing brussel sprouts roasted with apples and sage and cauliflower gratin though. 

I'm too tired to write more now. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#3 of 57 Old 11-27-2011, 02:37 PM

Hildare!  Happy to hear you are feeling better and hope things continue smoothly from here to Feb.... 

Parsley... brussel sprouts with apples sounds delicious!

I had an OK Thanksgiving, I'm alternating these days between terror and not looking forward to the baby because of fears of feeling alone and that my work like/ relationship with husband/ personality will disappear.  I'm hoping I will continue to work through these issues as the date gets closer. 

However I definitely FEEL like I've entered a new phase of the pregnancy. Slowing down, back aches, joint stiffness, not able to move quickly or with grace.  The belly is getting l-a-r-g-e and I have to lift it up to sit properly, which amuses my husband to no end.  I'm just short of 28 weeks, so here we go third trimester!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#4 of 57 Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM

Hildare, How awful!  I'm so glad you are feeling better now and out of the hospital.  Maybe a re-do of Thanksgiving to get the feast you all deserve when you are feeling better?

Mamma to Sasha (5), Anastasija (2), and expecting a new baby girl this winter!

#5 of 57 Old 11-28-2011, 01:26 AM

I had a rough weekend too... I had a bad case of MASTITIS!!  So unusual BEFORE the baby even comes.  I am on antibiotics and it has definitely messed with my energy level and appetite... let alone led to a seriously painful rockhard boob.

#6 of 57 Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 AM

Hildare and FrannieM - sorry to hear about your crappy weekends!  Hope you are both feeling better.

We had thanksgiving in October, so I didn't have to deal with any holiday stress this weekend.  Instead I studied for my exam (which is tomorrow!!) and went shopping for a new coat.  I actually grew out of the maternity jacket that I bought to last the whole winter (ha!) so I went and bought a huge coat that I will never grow out of.  I'm going to try to make sure that for baby #2, I am pregnant in the winter again so I get more use out it.

#7 of 57 Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Oh Hildare that is awful! I had lots of pie, yummy pie! And sweet potatos, and green beans, and rolls, it was carb heaven!

FrannieM I'm so sorry you're having to deal with mastitis already.

And yes parsley you now have me craving brussel sprouts, yum!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#8 of 57 Old 11-28-2011, 11:34 AM

Good luck with your exam, atomicrocket!  Let us know how it goes!

We had a lovely thanksgiving.  DD came down with a tummy bug yesterday, but hey - at least she did not turn into a puke fountain on thanksgiving day, or while we were traveling.  (Sorry, hildare - that must really have been terrible.  Hope you get a do-over!)

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#9 of 57 Old 11-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Yikes, Hildare!! Glad it is over now, and you and the baby are fine. 

FrannieM-- mastitis BEFORE baby??  Are you breastfeeding currently?  Dood that sucks :(.  I had mastitis ONCE in four years of breastfeeding M, and it sucked!  I put cabbage on my boob and it really seemed to work.

This week was, interesting.  We left last Saturday night for our family Thanksgiving in our hometown.  We crashed Saturday night at 11pm.  At 6am Sunday, we headed out to Disneyland.  We spent a very WET day trying to enjoy the rides, etc.  It was ok, and I tried really hard not to grouse about spending $300 to spend a day at the happiest place on earth.  Oh, and we got stuck on "It's a Small World!" :lol  That was awesome. 

Anyway, the rest of the week went ok.  I learned that if I want to visit my family, DH's family will be amazed and confused, and it will disrupt plans, but MIL will pretend it doesn't.  All will be fine, as long as I fit in my family in between all of DH's family's events :eyeroll.  So frustrating.  Normally, I don't see my family.  We aren't close; my mom lives in a different state, and my brothers and I don't really get along. But, with being pregnant, I guess, I really wanted to visit MY family.  Hubby is awesome, because he never argued with me, and made sure to remind in-laws of our plans :D.

Also, MIL and FIL are supposed to come and help with the baby in Feb.  Ummmmm.... SO not going to happen.  Michael (who is 5) pissed off FIL (who is in his mid 60s).  FIL is very passive, and will not say anything until you piss him off, and then he will explode.  Anyway, I was trying to take a nap and DH had to run next door for a minute.  I *knew* Michael should have gone with him, but I was trying to sleep, and didn't say anything.  Apparently, Michael was messing with FIL's chair, and FIL said to stop.  At some point FIL sits in his chair, and Michael gets mad and throws a pillow at him, making FIL's book fly in FIL's face.  FIL flips out and says, "WHAT DID YOU DO??????  DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LAST KID WHO THREW A BOOK AT ME???  tHE POLICE CAME AND TOOK HIM TO JAIL!!!"  Um, WTF?  At that point I got up, grabbed Michael's hand and walked him next door, to DH.  At that point I knew I couldn't have that man in my house with my newborn and my 5 (will be 6 ;)) year old.  He has yelled at him before, and hit him once (supposedly Michael hit FIL when FIL was asleep, and FIL hit him back in a "well, he hit me first!" way.  In fact, he said those exact words).  MIL also yelled at him because she couldn't hear him, and he was running an errand for me, and she misunderstood. 

I just can't deal with that postpartum.  I am thinking about having them over for a short visit maybe two or three weeks after baby is born.  They were going to be here for a month.  I would go nuts, and FIL would go missing LOL.  It would NOT be a good situation.

#10 of 57 Old 11-29-2011, 02:44 AM

ozzyemm - eek that is some drama!

atomicrocket - how did your exam go?

My boob is better.  My midwife was upbeat about it today, she said I am going to have lots of milk. I am just glad to not have a dark purple tata anymore!  Finishing up my antibiotics, and starting up some probiotics!

#11 of 57 Old 11-29-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

frannie, mastitis is horrible.  :( glad it is better, good that you'll have lots of milk too! 

i think we're all craving those sprouts.... anything roasted with apples is so yummy. 

#12 of 57 Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 AM

OK.  I have to rant a little bit.  I am having the worst week. 

I had an u/s last Monday to check on my placenta.  It hadn't moved AT ALL.  I still have complete placenta previa.  The tech recommended I come back at 36 weeks for another u/s.  (Previa = c-section).

Three days before the u/s I decided to bite the bullet and ask my mom to come to stay for 2 weeks around my due date.  She was thrilled and my father called me up to harass me about what date she should fly out and can't I rearrange things  a little so they can get a cheaper flight, etc... when I suggested my mom needed a car for 2 weeks so she could actually be helpful my father complained about how demanding I am.  I regretted the invitation instantly.  

All the more when I realized three days later that I really might be looking at another scheduled c-section.  If it's scheduled, I have better care I can line up for DD and definitely DON"T need my mother around for two weeks making me crazy. 

My mother acted like a total a** throughout all of Thanksgiving weekend.  She sulked when DD wanted to play with my sisters.  She made a mess in the kitchen whenever I cleaned a counter to cook something.  She didn't cook ANYTHING.  She stayed 20 feet behind everyone at the zoo the whole next day taking pictures of us and refusing to actually interact.  I said that what I most need for the baby is some warm clothes (mittens, hats, etc...).  She went to Marshalls and bought clothes that I would NEVER put on a kid...  even if they had 20 exploding poopy diapers in a single day.,, and they were short sleeves.

Anyway, they left, eventually.  I thought I was recovering and now I have an ear infection.  An ear infection?  How does one even get an ear infection?  How can you treat it?  I'm clueless.  All I know is that when DD had one, she was given anti-biotics.  Well, guess what, I've been on antibiotics for a month straight to deal with my asymptomatic UTIs.  I can not possibly go on more antibiotics.   I already had to deal with the world's worst yeast infection.  

So, I remembered that breast milk is great for treating stuff... used it with pink eye and the like for myself and DD.  I tried to get some for my ear.  I don't have milk anymore.  I have some colostrum but no milk.  What is DD nursing on at this point?

That's a lot of complaining.  I'm sorry for the rant... I'm just feeling very doomed at the moment.  And, can I admit this? almost wishing my placenta won't move so I won't have to deal with my mother.  (I really don't want another c... ).  Thanks for letting me complain. 

Much more interesting, Atomicrocket, are you ABD now?  Congrats!

Ozzyemm - sorry you had to deal with family drama too.  Do you have alternate child care plans worked out for labor?

Frannie - glad your mastitis has cleared up.  Can you spare any milk for  my ear?  :)

#13 of 57 Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 AM

Wow parsley that's a lot ((hugs))

For an ear infection I use garlic oil. Handful of whole garlic cloves, put in a pot with enough extra virgin olive oil to cover, simmer until they turn golden brown. Allow to cool. The I swab my ear with a cotton swab that's been dipped in the oil every couple hours. Clears it up.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#14 of 57 Old 11-29-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

parsley tea6.gifthis is the closest smilie i could get to sending you good thoughts.

i imagine your chances of your placenta moving at this point are pretty low, they're going to want to schedule you early early aren't they?

the thing about the clothes totally reminds me of my mother.  who is not invited to "help" after our birth.  buying that stuff is EXACTLY what she would do, though.  ugh.  can you take them back? 

you don't need the stress involved with her... how hard is it going to be for you all if she didn't come?  are your sisters closer and more reliable?  can they help and swap out?  it just briefly sounded like they stress you less. 

ita  about the garlic ear oil.  i don't find many home remedies work for me, but that one will. 

#15 of 57 Old 11-29-2011, 01:36 PM

Ugh Parsley!  Why must families suck sometimes???  I am not sure if I can find someone for after the baby comes, but I have two people who will watch Michael while I am in labor.  One couple approached us and made sure we knew it was ok to drop him off at any time.  That was nice :). They live twenty minutes out of town though, and I don't know that I want DH that far from me :shrug  We will see.

#16 of 57 Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 PM

Parsley - I am really sorry to hear about your placenta previa, and the issues with your family.  Maybe you can suggest she shorten the trip or have her come several weeks after the birth so you don't have to feel so stressed during the first few weeks with your new babe.

My exam went really well!  biggrinbounce.gif  I had some tough questions but I was able to answer all of them and my committee was really impressed.

I am really happy and relieved, and really looking forward to just relaxing tonight.  DP mentioned going out for a celebratory dinner together but I really just want to put on my pajamas and do nothing!

hildare and FrannieM like this.
#17 of 57 Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 PM

Ozzyem- You are a more patient woman that I.  I probally would have some Mamma Bear hormones come out and want to take down FIL.  You deserve a brownie sunday for dealing with that drama.

Parsley- Hugs to you and hopes for a smooth visit in the future.  I know how you feel, there are a lot of similarilties in our Mammas.  Sometimes, the "help" can lead to more stress.   

#18 of 57 Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 AM

LOL, if I *could* darling, I would!!!  You poor thing.   Your mother sounds very unhelpful, but really WANTING to help.  That is a super tough combination, (my mother can be similar).  I try to remember her heart is in the best place.    

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsley View Post

Frannie - glad your mastitis has cleared up.  Can you spare any milk for  my ear?  :)

#19 of 57 Old 11-30-2011, 12:12 PM

Big congrats, Atomic Rocket!!!!

Thanks for all the hugs and good thoughts!  Things are still feeling pretty bad around here but some of it should begin to improve...

We woke up to find out that the hot water heater had broken.  So we had to shell out $800 for a new one + installation (which bugs me because installation is something I could handle with DH if I wasn't pregnant and awkward and afraid to lift things).   

My earache is worse.  My jaw, neck, and ear are all swollen.  So, I ended up going to urgent care and they said it's swimmers ear and they prescribed ear drops. 

And, I had an awful Midwife visit this morning.  I felt like I was being prepared for having my care transferred bc of the previa (which is not something they do-- you remain a midwife patient except for the day of the surgery.  They have a doc they work with closely in the adjacent practice who does the c and does vbac consults).  She glibly mentioned that I'd probably be scheduled for a c-section at 36-38 weeks.  I tried to ask questions but she just kept putting me off and telling me to ask the Dr. at my VBAC/C-section consult.  I think it was just that this midwife had a poor bedside manner.  Still, I was already stressed out and her negativity didn't help.   At least DH was with me so he could confirm that the person we met was bad and comfort me for being a baby and bursting into tears during the visit. 

Anyway, my ear should start getting better soon.  And, I should get to take a shower tomorrow before I teach.  So, there's my silver lining :)

As for my mom, I just wish I hadn't said anything until I had a sense of what was happening with my placenta.  If it's a scheduled c, then my sister (the one who lives near us) will take off work and another sister will spend her vacation at our house.  DD adores both sisters and she'd have lots of attention and care.  My mother is the only one I know without any work obligations so I was feeling like having her come out would guarantee child care no matter when I went into labor.  But, Frannie, you are absolutely right.  Part of the problem is that she DESPERATELY wants to help but she is totally unhelpful.  She's just so incompetent and inefficient that I get frustrated and do things myself and then she gets defensive.  It's a bad combination... my perfectionism and impatience with her spacy, laxadasical and casual "helping" style.  Clearly I'm going to have to rescind my invitation, at least in part.  But, it's going to break her heart.  If I don't though, I'm not going to be able to mother my children (or myself) the way we will all need and feel good about.  Ugh!

Thanks again for listening to all this.  It does help to just vent and get it all out there.  Hope you all are well.

#20 of 57 Old 12-01-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

how's your ear today parsley?

so... i just wanted to tell you all again, how cool it is that i'm doing a birth bead thing with my facebook buddies (which is the only way i ever see anybody anymore!) if you were considering it, DO IT!  all i did was email my pals and tell them that i wanted a bead from each person to string for the birth--

they've been coming in with sweet notes, sentimental, wonderful & personal stories.  it makes me giddy, it's better than holiday presents!

if you guys want to do one here, too.. i know some of the ddcs have a bead swap.. anybody down? 

#21 of 57 Old 12-02-2011, 01:46 AM

Can you explain more what a birth bead thing is, Hildare?  I have never heard of it.

#22 of 57 Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

what i've done, and i have seen some of the ddcs do, is loosely based on this:

http://mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/beads-and-blessings 

but basically everyone sends a bead, and some thoughts, or stories, or well-wishes or whatever :)

and the recipient creates a necklace (or bracelet) to wear during the birth! 

it's just been so much fun for me to get beads from people i don't get to see much, with stories about where the bead came from and why it's meaningful.  and it's so simple, i tend to hate baby shower-y things anyway, but anybody can afford a bead (or find one) and you're not putting anyone out- plus it's creative.  and the necklace is an heirloom- you can photograph baby with it every year or do something else interesting, like mount it in a shadowbox of something.  

#23 of 57 Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Maybe start a birth bead thread? I participated in one with my DD in 2008. It was fun, but a lot of work for the coordinator! Maybe we should see if there is interest here, besides like 2 or 3 people?

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#24 of 57 Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post

Maybe start a birth bead thread? I participated in one with my DD in 2008. It was fun, but a lot of work for the coordinator! Maybe we should see if there is interest here, besides like 2 or 3 people?

It sounds cool.  Anyone else interested?

#25 of 57 Old 12-03-2011, 12:04 AM

Hildare.... I'm game on the bead swap.... I know I don't post a lot on here, but I read all the time on my phone.  It just takes forever to type it out and I don't get a lot of time at home unless (like now) I stay up really late.  Anyway, we did a bead exchange with my last DDC, wayyyyy back in July 2008.  It was pretty fun and I think about it every time I see beads in the store. 

I have been so sick and so tired... and I'm pretty sick and tired of it.  LOL!  I have never been this pukey this far into a pregnancy before.  The MW prescribed Phenergan for me but that makes me even MORE tired.  She said next time she'll give me an RX for Zofran, but we had to try the Phen first since Medicaid won't cover Zofran unless it's a last resort.  Figures.

Turns out I have iron-deficient anemia.  I guess my hemoglobin is supposed to be around 12.7 (adjusted for the ridiculous altitude) and it's only 9.8.  She was pretty concerned about that.  It totally explains my unbelievable exhaustion though.  I've been taking SlowFe, but I was only just able to start because that stuff is so expensive.  The RX iron pills I get through the VA for free upset my stomach even worse than usual.  In any case, hopefully I can start at least feeling some more energy once I get my iron up just a bit, because I've been pretty miserable! 

I've also been drinking RRL tea, but I forget, is it nettle that has the added iron in it?  If I can get some suggestions on herbs, maybe I can hit up Mountain Rose for some tea to help out with the anemia.  I know I need to get some dandelion leaf, too, because my liver enzymes are slightly elevated.  The MW is watching that because she wants to make sure I don't develop pre-eclampsia, which I guess is a concern due to the results of the amnio I had.  eyesroll.gif  All of this is why I went without the incredible battery of testing in my last 3 pregnancies, because of the added stress of a billion different "risk factors" that always seem to crop up.  (Although I have to admit, the baby is smaller than she should be, only by about 10 days or so, and I attribute that to my crappy lifestyle in the first 15 weeks, before I even realized I was pregnant.  Due to that and the whole 35+ thing, I guess a little more caution is in order?)

Trying to think of something good to round out this little entry.... well, the tree is up and the kids are actually not puking this weekend, so these are good things!  LOL

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#26 of 57 Old 12-03-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeemiaj View Post

It sounds cool.  Anyone else interested?

Count me in!

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#27 of 57 Old 12-03-2011, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

seeking serenity:  yes, nettle!  it tastes ok with the RRL you're already doing and it should help you some....

#28 of 57 Old 12-04-2011, 05:22 PM

I make birthy jewelry and have always appreciated the birth beads or gift exchanges from my previous DDCs!  I pulled out a knitted hat and mittens from 6 years ago that someone, Krista made for our exchange back then.  So special.  Count me in for the swap.

We are back home from Bali.  Getting settled into our house now that our bodies have adjusted to time zones and much colder weather.  Lots of piles of clothes and gifts and books that need a home.  We switched out our summer stuff for fall and then it turned cold two days later.  So, we're transitioning.  Baby clothes are coming out and being sorted by size then hung.  Diapers are ready!  We have gifts from Bali to give that need to be sorted and wrapped.  I had to search for some cool weather pregnancy clothes and was thankful I had set some out before leaving!  So, yes, much settling and transition but we are close to our goals. 

Hope you wonderful ladies had a great Sunday!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#29 of 57 Old 12-04-2011, 07:25 PM

I'm in for the bead exchange. 

Otherwise, just getting used to "Baby Yoga"... as in, I no longer get kicked or feel any fast movement per se. Instead, the baby stretches out and I get a head lump!  Or a butt lump!  You can see the unevenness of my stomach through my clothing!  It's a little surreal.  I think this one is going to be a stretchy baby ....

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#30 of 57 Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 AM

It sounds lovely and I look forward to hearing about it, but knowing how hard it is for me to get things done lately, I am out for the exchange!  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page