People's comments about belly size - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2011, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else getting annoyed when people comment how "big" you are getting?  I dunno, maybe it's just my hormones, but it irritates the crap out of me!  I've been self conscious about my size since at 19 weeks my mother in law asked if I was sure I have "just one in there?", after buying me 3 size L shirts but giving me the receipt so I could exchange them for XL because I "get pretty big"...Really???  Heck, I've only gained 10 lbs this pregnancy, and I am/was of average weight for my height prior to pregnancy, so really, I am not all that big - AND, this is baby number 5!  Sometimes I just wish people would think before they speak!!  Okay, rant over :)

Married to Tom partners.gif since 2001, mom to 4 boys and our first girl born Feb. 19, 2012!

Florida licensed midwife and CPM lovinghandsmidwifery.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 AM

I'm having the opposite problem. Apparently I don't look pregnant at all!  A lady was commenting about my 3 boys, and how she had 3 boys too, never mentioned anything about my big belly. I've also only gained about 10lbs, but I'm measuring about 5 weeks ahead (weird for me), so...I'm huge. >.<

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 AM

Yes! Im short, so people are VERY aware that Im pregnant and have been for a few months now. When you look at me from the front my belly is the first thing you see. Im getting it from family and strangers alike. Lots of "oh, my youre gonna have your hands full." and "sister, you arent gonna make it that long" comments. People who arent pregnant/ havent been pregnant recently just shouldnt talk to pregnant women. Shhh.....! Yesterday, I actually got this one from a server at a restaurant:

"Oh, you must be crazy!" referring to me having a new baby on the way with my toddler being slightly monster-ish at the table. Really? Thanks. How bout some pink lemonade instead of your attitude.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 12-03-2011, 07:10 PM

I get belly comments too... even though I've gained 15lbs, so it's not like I'm packing on the pounds here. People tell me all of the time that they don't want to make me get up, or ask me to sit down.. and I find it down right insulting. Yes, I'm pregnant. Having a human inside of me at 31 weeks and expecting me to have a teeny tiny baby bump is so unrealistic. I'm even tall... so I can't imagine how people would be if I were shorter. I got the twin comment the other day and wanted to scream! And someone at DH's work called me big mama, and yeah.. I smiled and thought in my head.. wait until you get pregnant lady!!! irked.gif

And I can totally relate to comments about me being crazy for being pregnant with another. And when I say 3rd boy they are all "OMG! You're crazy!" My dad asked the other day if we were "done yet." Jerks. Can you tell I'm hormonal?!?

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

Old 12-04-2011, 02:43 PM

People just want to "participate" in your pregnancy by making comments- no matter what size the belly is- ppl will comment.  Mine isn't big *enough* for some people apparently!

We all carry different, and each baby is different!

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015
Old 12-04-2011, 06:13 PM

People say I look so small.  Yeah, I am a smaller person and no I have not gained much weight.  I actually lost the tiniest bit of weight in Bali.  Why do people think that it's okay to comment on people's shapes and sizes?  It's so annoying to me.  I am content with my shape and my size.  And, I am growing a healthy baby!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:52 PM

I think I would rather people make a comment than just look at me with a "rude" expression. I'm so tired of the looks. Yes it's my third, yes I have a large stomach (i'm only 5 foot).... So stop thinking it and looking at me that way! It makes me more self conscious for people to give me mean looks I think... Ahhh pregnancy hormones!

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 12-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Either I have a really stand off ish face or people in Seattle just don't talk to each other. I think its both, I'm stand offish and Seattlites are introverted. Ha! I haven't heard any comments on my belly size! Well maybe a you've popped from co-workers or how its so cute, but nothing negative. I wonder if it'll be different in San Diego...

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 12-10-2011, 06:42 AM

if one more person at work tells me i'm "not going to make it to february," i am going to get stabby. 

OR... if any other stranger makes a frowny twisty silent face when they ask my due date, i tell them, then they size up my enormous belly, well....  they need to stand further away.  that is all.  demon.gif 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 12-12-2011, 10:43 PM

Yes, I've started to get it too. Although people say, "you're so small."

it used to hurt my feelings with the first and second pregnancies. But now I just laugh and say something about having alot of room in there to make hide my big babies. I like to watch their faces change to surprise. First and smallest was 8lbs 4oz and the fourth one was 9lbs 12 oz. This one may be even bigger yet.   I know their intention is not negative but people just don't think how their words may affect a pregnant woman. 

Erinlove.gif, wife to the love of my life partners.gif and mama to Ocean Acacia (19) hearts.gif,  Ivory Sierra (14), tea6.gifMeadow Autumn (12),read.gif Archer Orion (6) notes2.gif , and one more sweet love joining us earthside in late Winter 2012 homebirth.jpg.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:13 PM

People are just saying things for their own comfort or amusement - they do not think about how it will sound to the other person.  This is also true around grieving people - people offering condolances and making pithy comments are simply trying to assuage their own feelings.  People in our society are not good at deep emotions and major life events.  People in our society also have no idea what a "real" pregnant person looks like, because all they ever see are those cute tiny 5-or-6-month bellies on the celebrities who make the covers of magazines.

Having a couple of one-liners prepared to return-fire can help you stay calm.  My favorite one is to say, "eh, this is nothing.  I've got three other kids at home."  They always walk away.

User Tag List