Preschool or not for DS - any BTDT moms? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-04-2011, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I swear this is related to pregancy/birth! lol  

Basically, I'm becoming tempted to pull DS (3yo) from the preschool he started in September but wonder if I would really regret that come February. I also don't know if he stayed if he would be attending for my sake or for his own.

Longer version is:

He attends two mornings a week (Mon & Thurs), for 2.5hrs. It's French Immersion because I wanted to introduce him to the language, but always intended to homeschool beyond this year.

He is very attached to one of the two teachers. Pretty much glued to her side anytime I see them together. Said teacher is leaving at the end of December as the regular teacher, who was on mat. leave, returns in January. Fave teacher missed last monday and the other teacher mentioned DS had really an "off" day, probably because of it.

There are still (semi-regularly) days when he says he doesn't want to go to preschool. Usually I come up with a reason we should go, and once he's there he's fine. I never force him. Teachers say to all appearances he enjoys himself while he's there.

However, if he has made friendships with any of the other kids, he doesn't tell me about it (then again, he's 3! :P)

At the begninning at least, he would tend not to participate, and instead just observe from the sidelines, and I don't know if that's changed much (I need to ask the teachers tomorrow). For example, one day when I went to pick him up at the end of the morning they were singing Hokey-Pokey and he was just standing in the circle, not singing, not doing the motions. If he's not joining in and just would rather do his own thing, I'm totally okay with that, but then what is he really getting out of being there?

The new teacher will be a transition, and I can only hope it will be better than I fear. If it's not, it's a tough month in January, followed by more changes at home when baby arrives in February. I don't want to keep him in preschool only for the sake of having a break on my part, but will he maybe enjoy it more/benefit more from the activities/interactions once baby arrives?

I'm really struggling with this decision, so I'm throwing it out there to ask WWYD?

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#2 of 2 Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it's more of a "go on your gut feeling" thing... I'm just now ready to put my almost 6 year old DS in some sort of play group or schooling just for his own social benefit. I tend to think any earlier would have been more of a break for me than any real learning for him. He is homeschooled.

Can you try a week, keeping him at home BEFORE baby and see how he does? Does he want to go back to school? Is he bored at home? I would make any changes you are going to make ASAP, because once the baby comes they see everything as a "result" of the new baby. I know my 3 year old would be pretty vocal about whether or not she wanted to go, but it's a hard decision to make. I just recently dropped their once a week swim class, partly because the teacher DD was attached to left. I don't feel like she can learn anything more at this point, so what is the point?

There are so many "what ifs". It might be harder to deal with the emotion of sending him to school when there is a new baby he adores, it might be easier to send him to school so you can have some alone time with the baby... It's hard! 

Go with your gut feeling though. Your mommy instinct is there for a reason!

samikashi likes this.

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page