How many baby clothes are necessary? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-05-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have received a good number of clothing from friends and family. How many outfits in each size (nb, 0-3, and 3-6) is good to have stocked up? I have several things that I could return to a store and buy other items (like crib sheets) if I have too many outfits, but I don't want to return things that I'd actually need. Thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 12-05-2011, 03:36 PM

I'd say have a few days worth of sleepers to start (you'll be doing laundry every day anyway).  Honestly, my son was in sleepers for the first several weeks.  They go through so many clothes changes a day, that it wasn't worth putting my son in "outfits."  And sleepers are comfy & cozy.

Just a word of caution: remember that you do not know how big your baby will be!  I wouldn't get too many things in any one size at this point.  My son NEVER fit in newborn clothes.  He went right into 0-3 month sizes...and was in 3-6m at 7 weeks old, and 9-12m at 5 months.  So, even if I had bought ahead of time, things wouldn't have fit, or would have been the wrong season (3-6m sizes should have been what he wore in spring/summer, but ended up winter clothes in that size, 9-12 should have been fall/winter, but were summer!!)

You could be the opposite, have a peanut, who will stay in premie and newborn sizes for a few months.  

My 2 cousins clued me in on the above advice, though it was hard to NOT buy cute clothes, I am sooo glad I didn't. I would have just ended up wasting money on wrong sizes (my OB predicted him to 6#, but he was 8#12oz).  My one cousin had a (full term) peanut at 6 pounds, and the baby was in premie for a bit, then newborn for a long while.   The other had a larger baby like mine.  

To be safe, have a few days worth of sleepers in newborn and 0-3, just to be safe, maybe a few premie, just in case it's a little baby!  Keep those receipts!

Just my thoughts & experience!

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#3 of 3 Old 12-06-2011, 02:00 PM

I use those sleepers from Carters that are elastic across the bottom. They fit my babies until they are around 6 months old and we pretty much live in those the first couple weeks. They are easy and fast for diaper changes. I think I have about ten of those in either one size fits all or 0-3 months. They're long cause it's just elastic on the bottom. That is my biggest "Must have" you could also do onesies and try Halo sacks to keep them warm. In my experience 0-3 months onesies will fit for a long time. I had an 8 lb 5 oz baby and a 10 lb 3 oz baby, so we never needed super small sizes, though both of my kids COULD wear newborn, I didn't find a need for them. Even if you have a 5 or 6 lber, they will fit the 0-3 month size, so that's what I would start with!

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page