Birth Plans - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies! Its getting close! I had a birth plan with DD, and I plan to just use the same one this time but I am going to add a plan for an emergency C- section and how I would like for that to go, since there was no mention of a section on my plan at all. Are you planning to make a birth plan? Have you already made one? I'd love to see it and compare. Ill dig my old one up and type it out here, since Im going to have to retype it anyway because our old computer crashed. With DD we took 3 copies to the hospital and posted them up in the room and gave one to the nurses. It did a pretty good job of letting them know what I was shooting for, but at our small rural hospital, I think I must have been the only person that had ever brought one in.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 12:46 PM

i feel like i've put mine up a billion times already.. but... (and i think we're probably not going to be able to vbac at this point.  i am losing hope) here it is...

Birth Plan for the M_ Family

For baby:

• We will not circumcise.  Please do not retract the foreskin for any reason.
  • Please don’t bathe baby.
  • We wish to breastfeed only.  No formula of any kind (our first child has dairy/soy sensitivity) should be given, and we will provide pumped or frozen breastmilk if needed for supplementation or any other reason. 
  • We decline eye ointment and the Hepatitis B vaccine. 
  • We decline any other injections if offered, other than Rhogam for M_i if baby happens to have a positive Rh factor. 
  • We’re willing to consider a vitamin K injection if the birth has been unpredictably traumatic, otherwise we wish to decline this as well.

For the birth:

We wish to take the placenta home with us.

VBAC:

• We will be attempting a VBAC.  We would prefer:
  • A nurse interested in/experienced with natural birth (medication-free) birthing techniques.
  • No pain medication/epidural
  • We will be attempting a VBAC.  In the event that the VBAC does not appear to be working successfully, and barring an emergency, we’d like:

Cesarean:

• A meeting with the anesthesiologist as soon as possible before surgery happens.  We will be requesting reduced medication/opiates. 
  • M_ wishes to have hands free
  • To facilitate breastfeeding, we would like the baby to have immediate skin-to-skin contact, and to use an OR that allows mother and baby to be together right away.  Baby should be placed immediately upon M’s chest and remain there.
  • We prefer to treat the pain after surgery with Toradol, if possible, as we had much success with this with our first birth/c-section.
  • J_ is to accompany the baby at all times, and testing should be done in-room if possible.
  • We’d like to request two relatives/friends in the operating room if possible
  • J_ should announce the baby’s name/sex and cut the umbilical cord
  • We would like the opportunity to decide whether to view the birth/drop the drape if possible

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:46 AM

I was not going to make a plan, since in the NL it really is quite natural birth friendly... but I love to read other people's!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, here is mine. I basically just retyped what I had last time. Let me know if there is anything I should add, reword, or take out. I know I want to add a few things to the "In case of csection".

Holly Z--- 's Birth Plan
We are planning a labor, delivery, and hospital stay that is as free from medical interventions as possible. We had great success with our last birth here, and we are excited to see you all again! We plan to have a friend present, but please dont let anyone else visit until we give the go ahead. We have pre-arranged to have a birth pool in the room with us and to take our placenta home. Please do not freeze it. We are having a boy this time. Please remember that we do not consent to circumcision. Please feel free to ask us any questions. Thank you all so much!

For the mother:
  • FHR monitored intermittently with portable monitor
  • Vaginal exams by request only
  • No augmentation of labor such as pitocin or stripping of membranes unless requested
  • Please do not ask me if I want analgesia/ anesthesia.
  • Freedom to walk, move, eat, drink and wear my own clothes during labor.
  • Hep lock on upper arm as opposed to hand.
  • Prolonged length of second stage if need be.
  • We would like a squat bar on the bed please.
  • No unnecessary verbal coaching during pushing.
  • Please, no episoitomy. Local anesthetic desired for any stitching needed.
  • Natural delivery of placenta.
  • Please allow D-- to cut the cord and place the baby on H-- chest.

In case of Cesarean
  • Please place baby on my chest immediately.
  • D-- is to accompany baby at all times.
  • Please, as few people in the OR as possible.
  • I would like to breastfeed as soon and as often as possible.

Need help figuring out if there is anything else I should put (drugs and stitches or staples?)

For the baby:

• It's a BOY!!! Please, NO CIRCUMSCISION.
  • D-- will bathe the baby after H-- has had a chance to breastfeed.
  • As the baby will be breastfeeding, please do not give bottles or pacifiers without parental consent.
  • We decline the newborn eye ointment and Hep B vaccine. Please, no injections without permission.
  • Baby is to stay with parents at all times unless otherwise requested. Please inform us of all exams and procedures and we will accompany him to the nursery.
  • If baby is in distress, please transport him to Children's Hospital in
    . D-- shall accompany him at all times. (we have no NICU at our hospital).
  • Our pediatrician is Dr. ---, at
    . We will take the baby to see her during his first week home.
ome.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 12-08-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

I cant fix that bottom part. I dont know what happened there.

SIDS happens. 

Old 12-09-2011, 10:00 AM

ok, this is a dumb question, but how is your partner going to bathe the baby? 

Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

He snatched DD from the nurse to bathe her, so I imagine he will figure out a way smile.gif

There is a sink and a bathroom and several pans in the room , so there are plenty of places for him to bathe him. Last time, the nurse was using some kind of dry rub bath scrub and scrubbing the vernix off of DDs face and DH was pissed, so this time we want to make sure that they know that he will take care of cleaning her up (if we even choose to bathe her at all, we may wait until we get her home to bathe her). Basically, we just dont want nurses bathing him with whatever they see fit to use and scrubbing her just so they can hand him over to me clean-faced.

Maybe I should make that more clear, and replace it with "Please dont bathe the baby, D-- will take care of cleaning him up."

SIDS happens. 

Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

He snatched DD from the nurse to bathe her, so I imagine he will figure out a way smile.gif

There is a sink and a bathroom and several pans in the room , so there are plenty of places for him to bathe him. Last time, the nurse was using some kind of dry rub bath scrub and scrubbing the vernix off of DDs face and DH was pissed, so this time we want to make sure that they know that he will take care of cleaning her up (if we even choose to bathe her at all, we may wait until we get her home to bathe her). Basically, we just dont want nurses bathing him with whatever they see fit to use and scrubbing her just so they can hand him over to me clean-faced.

Maybe I should make that more clear, and replace it with "Please dont bathe the baby, D-- will take care of cleaning him up."

Can you tell that I have yet to come to terms with the idea that Im not giving birth to the exact same baby as last time?

SIDS happens. 

Old 12-09-2011, 01:04 PM

I did notice that you switched genders and pronouns quite often. I figured you were getting used to the idea of having a boy since you already are used to saying she and her with your daugther.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 AM

LOL!  I hate the idea of the scrub-down too.  I just can't imagine bathing this babe in that teensy hospital room sink either.  but whatever happens, we learned from last time to take a bottle of baby dr bronner's.  that stuff is magic. 

if the ob had not taken a very, very clear picture last week of this one's little baby penis parts, i would probably be in denial myself.  our last ultrasound was an exercise in frustration b/c ob wanted baby's face-- hands waving, feet waving, turning away, he was not showing his sweet lil face-- but he was very happy to share his nether parts. 

i never thought about what kind of awful soap that they might use on the baby... we last time & this time specified for them not to bathe the babe b/c it takes them for freaking ever (i hear) and they have to warm them back up... i am not interested in a separation like that.  :(

Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestions regarding having them not bathe the baby.  The hospital I'm going to is supposed to do everything in room but it seems too easy for the bath to make the baby's temp drop and then she'd end up in the nursery under lights. 

Anyway, here's my birth plan.  The c-section is less than I hoped for but it reflects what I got the OB to agree to.  I was told that one hand has to be tied down-- she relayed a story about someone flailing and grabbing her butt during surgery one time...  I also was told that there isn't physical space for skin to skin with me and baby but DH can hold baby to me.  So, no nursing but skin to skin with DH and/or held to my chest and face.  Also, she said that research shows that sutures are at greater risk of infection but staples have a greater risk of separation.  And, that whether or not I can have sutures depends on how scarred my uterus is from my first c-section. 

Birth Plan for the x Family

Thank you for your help and support!

C-section:

• Medication:  In consultation with Dr.x's (anestheseologist) office, I would prefer: no duramorph in the epidural.  After the c-section, please use IV turadol.  I will consent to short-acting morphine by IV if necessary.  (With my first c-section I had itching and hallucination that seem to be due to the morphine.) 
  • baby should be handed to father immediately for skin to skin contact.
  • Please use stitches instead of staples
  • want to donate cord blood
  • I would like to breastfeed as soon as possible

Baby:

• please do not bathe the baby
  • baby will be exclusively breastfed.  Please no pacifiers, formula, bottles, etc…
  • unless medically indicated or requested by the mother, baby should not be separated from parents during hospital stay, routine care should happen in my room
  • we decline the Hepatitis B vaccine at this time. 
  • we decline Vitamin K and Eye Antibiotics unless medically necessary

Hospital Stay:

• want to be discharged from the hospital as soon as possible
  • Our three year old daughter will be with us in the hospital room throughout each day.  Please be considerate of her potential fears and concerns. 
  • Our pediatrician does not do rounds at x.  (Dr. x or resident) will treat our baby in the hospital and we will see our ped shortly after we’ve been released.
  • Parsley (hah!)  is a vegetarian.  She requests vegetarian meals only (eggs and dairy ok, no fish, chicken or red meat).  If these are not available, please do not bring a meal. 

VBAC Plan:

• x will be serving as my doula.
  • labor at home as long as possible
  • intermittent monitoring preferred
  • no augmentation of labor (no pitocin, or stripping of membranes unless requested)
  • access to bath and/or shower
  • full range of mobility to try various laboring positions and options—including walking, standing, squatting, shower, bath, birth ball, etc…
  • want a drug free childbirth.  Please do not offer medication to me.  If I want something, I will ask. 
  • no episiotomy.  I would prefer to tear.
  • would like to dim lights, keep room as quiet as possible, limit number of hospital staff in room, may bring music with me, would prefer to wear own clothing

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).

User Tag List