A Mother Blessing (Blessingway) for Just my Husband and I? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-19-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family threw me (and my also pregnant sister) a baby shower a few weeks ago. While I'm really grateful for everyone's generosity, I would have loved to have a Mother Blessing (but when I brought it up, no one else was on board). Since we still have a few weeks before it would be celebrated, would it be weird or odd for my husband and I to just kind of have one ourselves as kind of a "Mother/Father Blessing" where we sort of celebrate each other and our future family? 

I guess it's silly to ask because, of course we can, no one will stop us, but I guess it just feels like a celebration I am supposed to do with others (especially other women). Maybe I am over thinking it, haha.

I was planning on making (nay, forcing) my husband to take the last full moon off work before my due date to have a nice couple's massage, dinner out together, and then coming home and preforming a smudge ceremony in our home and then unwinding in an herb infused tub.

I can't think of any other rituals to perform for the two of us other than the giving of a small token or gift (which might prove difficult with Christmas AND my husband's birthday being between now and my planned Mother Blessing. So many gifts already!). I thought about asking my husband to create or find a labor meditation stone for me to focus on during labor since it would be more meaningful to me if it came from him. 

Does anyone have any other ideas for a private couple's blessing ceremony, or did you have one for yourself?

Pagan mama, married to DH since 10/27/09. Had a wonderful h20homebirth.gif with baby D in 2012!

#2 of 4 Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 PM

I don't really have any ideas, but I think you have a great idea! Just doing something "special" w/the 2 of you sounds great! What about some sort of private yoga for the two of you? You know, like something to do that you can both think back on during labor instead of having to get him some"thing".

LMK what you come up with b/c now I want to do that!!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#3 of 4 Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

due date crashing-

Being our 4th, so far no one's mentioned anything about a baby shower so I think we'll just do a blessingway ourselves too.  If you google blessingway there are a bunch of ideas.  We plan on doing a henna tattoo and possibly a belly cast.  I want to take photos and get a massage, maybe do a really special dinner with all my favorite foods and make a little keepsake book with messages from us and our kids to the new baby.   Not officially sure yet, but those are my ideas so far!

Lisa- mom to 4 boys, expecting our 5th surprise in May 
#4 of 4 Old 12-23-2011, 03:33 AM

I think this sounds like a really sweet way to mark a big transition in your lives together.  And I love the idea of a special stone or some other found object from nature!  I may have to steal that idea.  :)

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page