co-sleeping, newborn and preschooler...wwyd? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alright, I need some advice, especially from some BTDT!

My son sleeps with us most of the night.  About 5 nights a week he will start in his bed (after myself or DH cuddling with him til he falls asleep) then venture to ours in the middle of the night.  The other nights, he starts in our bed (we let him pick).

Anyway, he will be 4 when next baby comes.  We have a queen sized bed, which is starting to feel so small.  Often, DS likes to sleep so his head/chest his snuggled against me, and his feet are on DH (lays diagonal-ish).   Sometimes he just sleeps completely pressed up against me.

At first I was thinking of side-carring a crib...but now I am wondering if I should just get a twin sized bed to go next to the queen for baby and me.  

A sidecar would make a nice space for the baby, but a twin would give me and baby our "own" bed, while DS and DH could (more or less) have the queen & I wouldn't have to worry as much about their blankets/pillows.   I can't decide.  If I go for a twin, I know I will get some strange looks.  The crib with DS was a prop, but kept the traditionalists from critisizing my parenting.    FWIW, I do not have a crib mattress anymore, and my mom said she would buy it for us...however, a twin will be out of pocket with our very stretched budget.  Our bedroom is too small to have both a side-car and a twin next to our bed. 

Please give me your thoughts-can I get away with a side-car next to the bed, or should I bite the bullet (and get the comments) and just get a twin.  

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#2 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 01:13 PM

I would go for the twin. The extra space will be worth it.
#3 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 01:22 PM

We are going to put the baby in a moses basket by the bed at first.  Our DS will be three when LO is born and also most nights gets his pick of where he wants to sleep. 

Stephanie
Momma to Gavin (3/24/09), Heart broken 6/13/10, TTC
#4 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 PM

I haven't checked the measurements to be sure this would work, but I think i've heard that you can get an extra-long twin that would fit in a king-sized bed frame with your queen.  (And if it works for you I want to know because we're considering it for sometime in the future.)

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#5 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 PM

Get the twin, forget the comments.  We had a full and twin pushed together when we had our twins 2 years ago (amongst many, many other arrangements)...not sure what to do now though with 2 2 year olds and a newborn...

Mama to S&H, twin girls born 4/09

Baby 3 due 2/12

#6 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 11:25 PM

Who looks in your bedroom?  We have a queen and a twin in our tiny bedroom.  We still seem to have all three of us in the queen, but DH is learning to move to the twin when DS comes into our bed (he is 6 today :)).  As for purchasing a new one, you may want to look into a used one, and use a plastic type cover if you are squeamish.  We have done the sidecar, as well as two queens pushed together (which we purchased from a motel when they were renovating).  When asked, we tell people that we co-sleep.  It seems the older generation tends to have a problem with it (at least my 70 year old aunt does).  To the younger folks who wonder how we have sex, I ask them, "You only have sex in the bedroom??" :lol  I figure, if they are rude enough to ask a question like that, I can be rude back ;).

#7 of 12 Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsh View Post

Get the twin, forget the comments.  We had a full and twin pushed together when we had our twins 2 years ago (amongst many, many other arrangements)...not sure what to do now though with 2 2 year olds and a newborn...

Agreed.

My DS2 still sleeps with us in a queen (he'll be 3 months shy of 4 when baby is born) and we got an arms reach co-sleeper for baby. Baby's room also has a futon in it and I figure if it isn't working out with the co-sleeper I will sleep with baby in there so we can bed share, and DS2 can stay with DH. We don't co-sleep every night, but most nights. DH really likes DS2 in with us since he has a history of seizures. But I really like this twin bed idea too... Oddly enough when DS2 was born, DS1 didn't want to be in the room with the baby so he started sleeping in his own room and never came back. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#8 of 12 Old 12-24-2011, 03:08 PM

We have a twin xl next to a queen. Fits perfectly and is comfortable for all of us. :-)

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#9 of 12 Old 03-17-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Wanted to bump this back up.  We did end up with a twin next to our queen and it works perfectly!  We have a Pack N Play as well, but only use that as a changing station (well, DH, he manages to get 'squirted' a lot, so he doesn't trust changing the baby on the bed in the middle of the night).  I am glad I didn't bother to side-car a crib (I would have had to buy the crib mattress)...I am sure it wouldn't have been used one bit, and I would've been out the money I spent on the crib mattress AND the money spent on the twin.  DH and DS1 sleep on the twin and baby and I sleep on the queen.  The twin is a tad softer than the queen, so once baby gets a bit bigger, we'll switch.  Looking forward to when DS2 is big enough that we can sleep together and not on our 'separate' beds!

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#10 of 12 Old 03-17-2012, 11:27 AM

Well, DS1 is wanting to transition into his own bed (and bedroom). Currently, DH is helping him transition and sleeping with DS1 at night in another room while I'm with DS2 in our bedroom. I can't believe all the new "big boy" things that DS is wanting to do since his baby brother arrived. No regression just progression. Very unexpected. I really miss my big boy cuddles, and we'll see how the transition does or doesn't go (since DS isn't sleeping alone still). 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#11 of 12 Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 AM

It's good to see im not hte only one with a preschooler still sleeping in our bed...dd is 3 and we also put a twin bed next to our queen, which has been working fine.  DH works night shifts so when he's home he sleeps on the twin, and the kids and I sleep on the queen (with me in the middle). 

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#12 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 AM

We moved our preschooler out of the family bed and into bed with Daddy in the months preceeding baby's arrival. Baby is up a lot at night, and so am I, to change diapers, or wet PJ's, or whatever. It didn't work to have everyone in one room. But we are a co-sleeping family through and through! So, when DS came when DD was 3, Daddy and DD slept in a double in her room, and I slept with baby in the master. Then when DD2 came along when DS was 3, we moved around rooms. Our master is really a converted attic and it is BIG, we put two beds, a queen and a twin, in there. DD slept in her bed, the twin, and DS slept with DH in the queen. I slept with baby downstairs in one of the smaller rooms. We are still sort of on that plan. Although DH now starts with me and DD2, and some nights goes up to DS when he wakes up, or sometimes, DS comes down and climbs in bed with me and boots Daddy out to the couch. We are expecting baby #4 in late September and I'm not entirely sure what we'll do this time. DD2 is only going to be 2, just turned 2, when baby comes. However, she's already not nursing, she quit years before her sibs. I'm thinking of transitioning her to a toddler bed in our room, but she's a super light sleeper, so I'm just not sure yet what we are going to do!! We're also moving this summer, so who knows what our new arrangement will be!!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page