Natural Induction Methods? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-29-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Mamas!!! Our babies will be here so soon. I'll be 37 weeks in the middle of January and will begin acupuncture, homeopathic black/blue cohosh, homeopathic belladonna, massage, walking and sex. Even though me and baby are measuring perfectly, my midwife doesn't want me going past my due date due to gestational diabetes. The consulting OB will let me go to 41 weeks but then a medical induction will be required. I hope to go before then. Is anyone else doing something to jumpstart and prepare for labor? 

#2 of 18 Old 12-29-2011, 02:40 PM

I think i am planning on getting massages every three days until I go into labor :lol  I am semi-seriously considering this, starting at the end of January, when I am 38 weeks.  There is no VBAC in a hospital in my county, and my midwife doesn't want me birthing at home because I am insulin dependent (I take insulin at night, because my morning blood sugar can be as high as 120+).  I don't know if I want to do all I did last time, because it didn't seem to work, although labor began at 39 weeks for me.

#3 of 18 Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 PM

In my experience, none of that stuff works. I tried EVERYTHING with DD who was 2 weeks late. Babies come when they are ready. Those things can help things along once they have already started but they aren't going to START labor. The only thing I didn't try was castor oil and that's because it's dangerous (especially with an already overdue baby!) The best thing to do is make sure you are emotionally ready and just let that baby pick his/her due date.

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 18 Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 PM

Yeah, I have to agree with jaysmylilpunkin, none of the natural methods worked for me last time either.  DD was born at 41 weeks.  I didn't do castor oil, since my amniotic fluid was already pretty low and I didn't want to risk diarrhea/dehydration making it any worse. My MW this time has recommended EPO but I don't know anything about it.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#5 of 18 Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

The World Health Organization recognizes acupuncture as a reliable, effective non-medical method to induce. It's the only non-medical measure they support and acknowledge. While it doesn't work immediately, there are several women who start treatment at the 37-38 week mark and have their babies by their due dates. I really hope to be one of them. 

#6 of 18 Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siffleuse319 View Post

The World Health Organization recognizes acupuncture as a reliable, effective non-medical method to induce. It's the only non-medical measure they support and acknowledge. While it doesn't work immediately, there are several women who start treatment at the 37-38 week mark and have their babies by their due dates. I really hope to be one of them. 

Forgive my ignorance, but do you simply call an acupuncturist and mention that you're looking for natural induction assistance? 

#7 of 18 Old 12-29-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but do you simply call an acupuncturist and mention that you're looking for natural induction assistance? 

Haha...not ignorant at all. I actually have no clue. My midwife referred me to a Chinese Medicine Professional who specializes in acupuncture for all sorts of health issues, but does a substantial amount of her work with pregnant women. I checked out her website and one of the pages discussed the benefits throughout pregnancy and for labor induction. She also used it on herself to birth her children. I guess you could check out local acupuncturists and ask them if they perform labor induction???? This is my first experience with acupuncture for anything, so I'm very, very new to it. At this point, it's all theoretical to me. 

#8 of 18 Old 12-29-2011, 06:41 PM

My first pregnancy I went 10 days 'overdue.'  I did nothing special to start labor, just walking, etc. I finally went into labor after I relaxed, had some afternoon sex and a nap. :) 

Second baby, fully 2 weeks overdue, which is as far as my homebirths midwives are comfortable letting things go, so we did cervical massage, the blue/black cohosh, etc. And when that didn't work they had me do the castor oil. It wasn't my favorite thing in the world, and I wouldn't do it without being under a midwife or doctors supervision, but it worked for me.  Had the runs for an hour or two, went to sleep for a bit, woke up in a nice gentle, but real labor (so much more relaxed than my first, it was amazing!) and had baby 3 hours later.  

I agree with other posters, that nothing seems to work if you body isn't ready.  I've had friends do all of the things mentioned, and the castor oil as well with no results.

#9 of 18 Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 PM

One thing that it seems that no one has mentioned so far is pumping. Nipple stimulation has been effective in induction, and I know women who were nearing their due date and began pumping and freezing the colostrum for later. DD was born at 37 weeks, so I have no real experience with this, but Ive heard it works.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 18 Old 12-30-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post

In my experience, none of that stuff works. I tried EVERYTHING with DD who was 2 weeks late. Babies come when they are ready. Those things can help things along once they have already started but they aren't going to START labor. The only thing I didn't try was castor oil and that's because it's dangerous (especially with an already overdue baby!) The best thing to do is make sure you are emotionally ready and just let that baby pick his/her due date.

Agreed.

I went to 42 weeks with DS2 (who was 7.14 at birth, perfect) and for 3 weeks prior to my EDD I was doing RRL tea, sex pretty much constantly.... basically everything but Castor Oil (my MW said that every time she sees Castor Oil used she sees the baby pass meconium... not sure if there's any truth to this but it was enough to scare me). And alas, he was "late". 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#11 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 10:27 AM

.I've been seeing an accupuncturist since before I got pregnant and mine recommended weekly appointments starting at 36 weeks vs monthly throughout the pregnancy. If you start seeing an accupuncturist now or at 36 weeks just call and ask if they offer labor induction treatment and what their treatment plan would be.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#12 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 02:11 AM

Look for an acupuncturist that specializes in fertility and/or pregnancy.  I made the mistake of going to see a general acupuncturist while pregnancy once, and he was not helpful.

#13 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 AM

I've been looking into it because my midwife is a CNM and I am birthing at a hospital, so to her "induction" means "pitocin," and I won't do that.  I had all 3 of my first children in the hospital with OBs, and #2 & #3 were both induced.  Epidurals do not work for me for a couple of reasons, so birthing a baby with pit-contractions and no pain relief is something I've done twice.  It's roughly similar to torture, especially combined with being strapped to a monitor and flat on your back, unable to move around.  No THANK YOU.

But I've got some issues with this pregnancy, not the least of which is severe anemia.  My liver enzymes are slightly elevated too, and at the last ultrasound (the 3rd of the this pregnancy so far) they saw calcifications on the placenta (at 30 weeks).  Now I am going in for NSTs every week and I've been having contractions off and on.  Add to that, the baby is only measuring 33 weeks, and I am close to 36 weeks at this point - not a big deal but the growth has definitely slowed. Anyway, the bottom line is that, at any time, they could decide the baby isn't thriving and want to induce.  I was thinking if I could get things going, at least ripen the cervix and get things hormonally balanced, before they decide that's necessary, then perhaps labor will start by itself or with minimal induction measures (maybe stripping the membranes instead of automatically plugging in the pitocin). 

In any case, Master Gland is a supplement I have taken in the final weeks of the last 2 pregnancies in order to balance the glandular system which helps ready the body for labor.  EPO helps ripen the cervix, though I keep getting conflicting information on whether or not to take it orally or insert the capsules vaginally.  I've read blue cohosh will give you pretty intense, non-labor contractions that really don't do anything but make you uncomfortable, at least if you're not quite ready to go into actual labor.  Castor oil is viciously uncomfortable and, again, won't do anything but give you cramps and diarrhea if your body isn't prepared for labor already.  Castor oil worked to put me into labor last time, but basically all it did was kick me over the edge, as I'd been having prodromal labor symptoms for a couple of weeks beforehand.

I have seen a few things about caulophyllum, but I don't know what that is.  Anyone know?

Of course, lots of raspberry leaf tea (making sure it's made from the leaves) and nipple stimulation, as well as sex (if that's an option - it's not for me!) are also things to do.  I'm pretty sure what I've heard about eating spicy foods, pineapple, or going on bumpy car rides is just old wives' tales. 

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#14 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingSerenity View Post

But I've got some issues with this pregnancy, not the least of which is severe anemia.  My liver enzymes are slightly elevated too, and at the last ultrasound (the 3rd of the this pregnancy so far) they saw calcifications on the placenta (at 30 weeks).  Now I am going in for NSTs every week and I've been having contractions off and on.  Add to that, the baby is only measuring 33 weeks, and I am close to 36 weeks at this point - not a big deal but the growth has definitely slowed. Anyway, the bottom line is that, at any time, they could decide the baby isn't thriving and want to induce.  I was thinking if I could get things going, at least ripen the cervix and get things hormonally balanced, before they decide that's necessary, then perhaps labor will start by itself or with minimal induction measures (maybe stripping the membranes instead of automatically plugging in the pitocin). 

I have been shot down about this before but have you looked into the brewer diet, the REAL brewer diet? What you describe here I have seen reversed and read many cases of reversing the same or similar symptoms with necessary diet changes. http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/ http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#15 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 12:01 PM

I'll look into it, thank you for the information!  Honestly, if it can help me feel better, I will try it. 

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#16 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 01:32 PM

Sending you hugs, I know an expert in this diet and she suggests starting with hourly snack of protein plus, so a glass of milk and a banana, a serving of almonds and a serving of etc apricots, you get the general idea. If you have a facebook you should PM me I can connect you directly with her.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#17 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 06:50 PM

like Adaline's mama, my first was born at 37 weeks so i am all about preventing another early babe from coming and avoiding each tip i know for inducing labor.

i've been part of an acupuncture clinic in bali so got treatments there for a well-baby.  there is a wonderful team certified in pre-natal care here in my US town, too that I am thankful to be seeing for continued well-baby care.  there are certain spots to stimulate for induction, turning breech babes, etc.  you can ask them to show you the points so you can do acupressure at home between your treatments, too. 

your massage therapists can offer labor inducing pressure.

with any practitioner, i agree with Lady Mag about asking what their certification is for pre-natal care.

seeking serenity-  caulophyllum is blue cohosh.  cimicifuga is black cohosh.  these are popularly used in labor or to help get labor in gear.  you could see a Homeopathic doctor to learn what may work for you at this point.  as far as EPO, some suggest taking it orally at a certain time in pregnancy and then closer to the EDD, inserting some internally on the cervix.  you could check with your trust care provider about the details of how much and at what point in your pregnancy.  if they aren't aware, maybe get the names of another trusted care provider (a friend's midwife?) that knows more about alternatives to pitocin induction.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#18 of 18 Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Rin

I'm not looking to induce naturally by any means-but I will start taking EPO tomorrow (36 weeks!) because my DS arrived 43W3D after several accupuncture (including electric stimulation) treatments, walking, sex, nipple stimulation, Castor oil abdominal massages, and sweeping of membranes. I'm not "allowed" to go past 42W where I live without having some sort of medical induction.  I really don't want that so I will start doing what I can wehn I can do it!  

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page