What are you looking forward to in labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The anticipation of labor and delivery often causes fear and anxiety in many moms...myself included. This will be my second birth and I'm really trying to focus on things that happen in labor that are actually magnificent. With my first, I had so many fears that needed to be expelled before I could dilate. I was terrified to my core and don't want to go in to this birth with that same heaviness.  So, for all of us BTDT Moms...what do you like most about labor land??? For me....

~Time is non existent (several hours truly feels like a few minutes)

~The natural painkillers created by the body are marvelous. 

~The intensity of transition and pushing sent my mind into a far away place that felt surreal and out of this world. I'm excited to go back there. 

~I loved teaming up with my husband in a powerful, unspoken dance of support and togetherness. 

~And of course......looking at, holding, starring and nursing my baby for the very first time....sheer awe. Nothing in the world is better or could scare me away from getting to that goal. 

#2 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 06:03 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I really hope I can get into a groove and enjoy my contractions like last time. The sensation is still vivd in my mind. It was this gorgeous tug that started in my cervix and went halfway up my uterus and then a different and gentle tug downward from my fundus meeting the first tug in the middle of my uterus, then both fading away together and getting ready for the next building and blooming sensations. It was so rythmic and sensual. Like a heartbeat, only with the kick butt labor hormones! lol

I'm looking forward to being surrounded with my family. Having their love fill the room. I get weepy thinking about it.

I'm looking forward to feel baby emerge, feeling baby's head for the first time, feeling that very hot and soft sweet skin.

I'm looking forward to the birth tub and melting into the water and losing all touch withthe world.

<3 What a great idea to think of what we're looking forward to!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#3 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 06:10 AM

I'm looking forward to feeling like I can do this. To seeing myself achieve a goal, and to working with my husband to bring our baby into the world!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#4 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 AM

I am looking forward to having a *truly* natural birth this time around, and in the comfort of my own home (the first was induced with pit and amniotomy in a hospital and I also ended up with an episiotomy and subsequent 4th degree tear). I'm looking forward to the sensations that my own body will be creating, the hormones my body will produce to help me through the process and am also looking forward to the magical first moments with my new daughter--the ones I feel I was robbed of with my first daughter. I can't wait to hold her squishy warm body and look into her sweet face! I get all teary just thinking about her now that I am getting closer to truly meeting her :)

Wife to my heartbeat.gifDHheartbeat.gif since 2002, and mama to my AMAZING little girls (2/2009 & 3/2012), a sweet little angel1.gif in heaven (3/2008) and hoping for another healthybabyf.gif 1/20/2015!    
#5 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm looking forward to getting to labor and give birth in a birth center this time...

- to be in a relaxed environment where I really trust my caregivers and don't have to stress about hospital policy

- to be able to labor and deliver in the birth tub

- the amazing rush that comes from being able to hold my baby skin to skin and breastfeed right away

- to have DD be able to meet the baby soon after birth (she won't be in the room for the birth but I'm hoping the timing will work out so she will be at the birth center and will be able to come in right after the baby is born)

- the smell and feel of holding a newborn..mmmm

I'm due feb 1st and I can't believe it's only about a month away!!

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#6 of 9 Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 AM

Wow, what a positive thread.  I love it.  I'm looking forward to all the same things you ladies mentioned.  The work of labor and the mental challenges and of course that amazing moment when I finally get to hold my baby.  I'm looking forward to the adventure.

#7 of 9 Old 01-19-2012, 10:11 AM

I'm looking forward to being able to relax and enjoy this labor more. I had a hospital birth the first time and this time I'm birthing at home. DH and I were both nervous about being in the hospital and all the in and out of the nurses and the pressure from the staff treating us like a ticking time bomb (PROM). I'm mostly just looking forward to experiencing my labor fully here at home with no pressure and no fear mongering from hospital staff. I'm looking forward to taking it slow and just being with my DH and making food for our birthing team and letting my body and baby work together to make a miracle happen.

Of course, I can't wait to meet my baby and probably the number one thing I am looking forward to is the moment when my DS comes home from his labor play date and curls up in bed with DH, the new baby and me for our first family snuggle. 

#8 of 9 Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM

AWESOME thread!  So glad it got bumped up to the top.

the high of being in labor.  wow.

connecting with my hubby in that special labor way.

being a great example for my daughters.

sharing the whole experience with my hubs & daughters.  watching our family support each other, love and grow.  the little comments they will make that will touch my heart. 

trusting God with this process above anything/anyone else.  it's such a faith expanding experience for me, personally and i am grateful for such an opportunity. 

trusting pushing and breathing this time (both were hard for me last time and i got really frustrated.).

all the love that comes rushing toward us as we become mamas, as we do our hard work. 

seeing which songs appeal to me from my birth mix, which stick out as this babe's song.  each labor before has one song in particular that i consider the girls' labor song.

the thoughts of women who support me and love me, who have done this very thing or will do it this year with me.  my balinese family and friends (5 of us are preggo together!). 

that the time is finally here for this babe to make it's appearance safely into our home.  how thrilling. 

calling my mom to tell her i am in labor.  She, my sister and I always talk on the phone when I am in labor- tradition! 

trusting my birth team that has come together in such an interesting way that i had not expected.  it's just right.

melting into the warm water of my shower, tub or a birthing tub, as mentioned!

working with my babe to do this dance- to see how we interact in labor.  to watch him/her emerge and come straight up into my arms.  to say, "I love you baby." a hundred times.

to know whether we have a son or a daughter.  to figuring out a full name. 

eating chocolate chip banana bread postpartum and nursing a newborn. 

the sweet lil newborn cloth diapers and clothes, all the wool hats and longies we have been collecting. 

writing my story and reviewing the pictures that will be taken. 

loving my incredible family.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#9 of 9 Old 01-21-2012, 02:43 PM

the post birth high!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page