Absolute essentials for baby and me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved from Seattle to San Diego so we held off on buying baby stuff, besides for diapers. We're planning on getting all the baby stuff now that we're down here but it'll depend on when my DH gets paid. I have some stuff from my baby shower and I started stocking up on cloth diapers. What's your list of essentials in case baby comes early? And how many?
Here's what I have (everything is packed so this is all from memory wink1.gif)

Baby bath tub
Baby grooming items (nail clippers, brush, thermometer, etc.)
Natural baby shampoo
& lotion
Onesies (not sure how many newborn since they're all packed) - how many newborn and 0-3 months ones should I have?
A few long sleeve footie pajamas
Swaddling blankets
Earth Mama Angel Baby postpartum herbal pads
Laundry soap for diapers
Diapers (I'm doing newborn prefolds/flats with covers for when baby is too small for one size pockets, then switching entirely to one size pockets):
-23 one size pocket diapers (fuzzibunz, bumcheeks, and 1 other brand I can't remember the name of)
-32 inserts
-6 Thirsties newborn diaper covers
-6 Thirsties Duo hemp prefolds
-9 Baby kicks hemp prefolds
-16 cloth wipes

I heard 24 was a good newborn stash if washing every other day, and I would prefer to wash every 3 days, so I need to get some more. I want to get some regular cotton ones and maybe some bamboo prefolds. I'm hoping to reuse the prefolds as inserts or sell them if that doesn't work. How many newborn covers should I have? How many cloth wipes?

As far as a crib or bassinet, should I get a pack and play with newborn bassinet first and then worry about the crib If we have time or after baby is born?

What else am I missing?

Thanks!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#2 of 18 Old 01-02-2012, 02:15 PM

I would add:

a nursing pillow with a few slipcovers

a wrap/carrier

car seat

and maybe a stroller ?

Otherwise you sound pretty set to me.  As for sleeping arrangements, you might want to check out the Arms reach co-sleeper as a bassinet/crib etc...  and then you would need bassinet sheets. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#3 of 18 Old 01-02-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I have a boppy with 2 covers, a car seat, stroller (the travel system that goes with my car seat. I hate travel systems but both carseat and stroller were given to me by my sister in law. Car seat is in great shape and well within the expiration date), I have a Ergo and a Moby wrap. I guess I just need to make sure I have enough diapers and newborn clothes...
Any recs for postpartum items for me?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#4 of 18 Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

As far as sleeping arrangements, we're planning on sidecarring our crib. I'm just wondering if I should get a pack and play now in case we need to put off buying a crib due to financial reasons...the crib I originally picked out is $500, not sure how cost comparable a pack and play is.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

#5 of 18 Old 01-02-2012, 04:29 PM

We got a pack n play with our first and it was a waste of money! I think they are around $100, but I would probably recommend getting a cradle or bassinet instead, although even those ended up as laundry holders in our house!

Other essentials would be:

Lanolin or some other breast cream if you are planning to nurse

Breast pads

Nursing bras or tanks that can get all milky the first couple weeks

Changing pad (we don't do changing tables, but put a pad on whatever surface we are changing on)

We use sleep sacks instead of footie pjs, so much easier on and off (I like the Carters brand that are elastic at the bottom and go over the head)

I never buy NB clothes, so I would probably have at least 10 0-3 mth onesies.

Maybe some cold weather hats?

Receiving blankets for spit up

Socks

... I think that is most of my must haves

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#6 of 18 Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM

Another idea would be to get a used Pack n Play off of Craigslist or something. That's where we sold ours and it had only been used a handful of times (if that).

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#7 of 18 Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 PM

I would make sure to get some Lanolin or some other breast cream for sure. And possibly breast pads? I needed them, and I found that the hemp was best for not sticking to me.

Personally, I used a pack n play bassinet last time and this time Im using an Arms reach mini cosleeper because the pack n play just takes up too much room and I never used it as a playpen. DD hated it.

What about your birth? What items might you need for birth?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#8 of 18 Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 AM

I think your diaper stash looks great!  I have 36 prefolds, 2 all in ones that could just be used as covers and doublers, and four covers in newborn size.  We used 36 prefolds and 4-6 covers (in an infant size though) with DD and it was totally sufficient (though I guess we also used the stash of disposables provided by the hospital at night until they ran out). 

As for clothes... I'm having trouble remembering.  I feel like we only changed DD's clothes 2x a day.  But I can also remember huge exploding poopy diapers that made us have to change her more often.  I would say that if you do laundry only once a week you likely need around 20 outfits.  If you do laundry more often, then you can get away with less.  As for sizes, we have about 8 in newborn/0-3 months and then a ton in 3-6 months.  I didn't mind using too big stuff w DD but hate seeing things go to waste so bigger made sense to me.  This time, I'm a little concerned about layering since it will be so cold so I bought a few items in newborn and 0-3 so I can layer (t-shirt and diaper, then newborn footed onsie, then fleece bunting. 

I was suggesting the co-sleeper as a cheaper alternative to a crib in the short term.  I never used the pack and play we were given.  It was too big and unweildy and too plasticy for me. 

Hope that helps.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#9 of 18 Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM

We used a pack and play for Audrey's bed for almost two years, its so much cheaper than a crib (don't forget the mattress and sheets, etc) and its a comforting place for the baby to sleep when you are traveling or visting relatives, I am very glad i never bought a crib, but there are some at Ikea for great prices, so that is another option.

We are actually planning on having another baby, so this is what i would get:

-4 sports bras (for nursing)

-washable nursing pads (i produced a lot of milk and would have to change them after EVERY nursing)

-california baby products (lotion, shampoo)

- boppy covers

-organic moby

-organic ergo

-orbit infant car seat (we have the stroller and toddler carseat already)

-7 wool onesies (wool is better quality, washes easier and will fit longer, as it has a snug, yet stretchy fit) (novanatural.com)

-7 wool socks (novanatural.com)

-(?) 7 wool caps/bonnets (novanatural.com)

-baby hammock (novanatural.com)

-sheepskin rug (for naps, ikea)

-knit 7 outfits (beanie, bibs, pants/diaper cover and booties)

-seventh generation diapers and wipes

--also already purchased a bamboletta blanket baby, for wishfull thinking :)

--i used to bring Audrey in the shower with me, so she really didnt use the bath, maybe the first month, but thats about it.

--we co sleep, so we dont need a "bed" for the new babe, but our 2yr old currently sleeps on her naturepedic toddler mattress often, so we'll be upgrading her to a full size naturepedic mattress when the baby needs it's own space to sleep.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#10 of 18 Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 AM

We bought a graco travel lite pack and play to put by our bed for the first few months.  It's much smaller/more portable than a standard pack and play and doubles as a bassinet.

#11 of 18 Old 01-03-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

I just remembered that I have a changing pad! Okay, no more mental inventory, I'll have to do a physical inventory once all my stuff gets here. Definitely have pregnancy brain.
My DH gets his signing bonus check today, which is a huge relief, so we'll be able to buy whatever we need soon!

#12 of 18 Old 01-03-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking we will get a crib that converts to a toddler bed then a twin bed now and side car the crib to our bed until she sleeps through the night. That way I feel like I'm getting my money's worth on a crib.

As far as sleeping in different parts of the house for convenience, the stroller I want is the Valco Ex Tri mode single that has a bassinet option - the bassinet has a stand that it sits on that also rolls. Great for the early months, which I'll also use for her to sleep in for traveling while she still fits.

I also have a swing and a bouncy chair that my sister in law gave me!

#13 of 18 Old 01-06-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized that the full size Arms Reach co sleeper converts to a pack and play! That makes it worth the money to me. I was looking at the mini before, which doesn't convert. I think I'll pick up the full size soon because I'll need a pack and play for travel as well.

#14 of 18 Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Kaydove, I know it's not what you are looking for, but the mini does convert into a changing table. Just in case the full size doesn't work out for you. The mini isn't a total bust. Babies do grow out of them much earlier, but very helpful in the beginning.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#15 of 18 Old 01-07-2012, 05:56 AM

I think you need more cloth wipes unless you are planing on using disposable as well I can see using up up 16 in 5-6 diaper changes.

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#16 of 18 Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM

i am a huge fan of wool for this Feb. babe, too!  so excited to have a stash going from hats to diaper covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandraz View Post

We used a pack and play for Audrey's bed for almost two years, its so much cheaper than a crib (don't forget the mattress and sheets, etc) and its a comforting place for the baby to sleep when you are traveling or visting relatives, I am very glad i never bought a crib, but there are some at Ikea for great prices, so that is another option.

We are actually planning on having another baby, so this is what i would get:

-4 sports bras (for nursing)

-washable nursing pads (i produced a lot of milk and would have to change them after EVERY nursing)

-california baby products (lotion, shampoo)

- boppy covers

-organic moby

-organic ergo

-orbit infant car seat (we have the stroller and toddler carseat already)

-7 wool onesies (wool is better quality, washes easier and will fit longer, as it has a snug, yet stretchy fit) (novanatural.com)

-7 wool socks (novanatural.com)

-(?) 7 wool caps/bonnets (novanatural.com)

-baby hammock (novanatural.com)

-sheepskin rug (for naps, ikea)

-knit 7 outfits (beanie, bibs, pants/diaper cover and booties)

-seventh generation diapers and wipes

--also already purchased a bamboletta blanket baby, for wishfull thinking :)

--i used to bring Audrey in the shower with me, so she really didnt use the bath, maybe the first month, but thats about it.

--we co sleep, so we dont need a "bed" for the new babe, but our 2yr old currently sleeps on her naturepedic toddler mattress often, so we'll be upgrading her to a full size naturepedic mattress when the baby needs it's own space to sleep.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#17 of 18 Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Thank you to the momma who mentioned that ikea has sheepskin rugs!

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015
#18 of 18 Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 AM

I found craigslist to be a great place, too.  i found an amazing one for only $25 from Germany and ended up having a bunch in common with the mama who I bought it from. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NourishCreate View Post

Thank you to the momma who mentioned that ikea has sheepskin rugs!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page